Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Aldi Opens New Stores In Nearly Every State (Read 1827 times)
RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: Aldi Opens New Stores In Nearly Every State
Reply #15 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 7:00am

Captain Caveman wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 6:50am:
Name brands pay for shelf space in coles and woolies...that's why they are expensive. Corporate greed. We never win.

Yes Coke and Pepsi actually give stores free fridges if they buy their product but with big logos all over them.
If a cheaper brand does the job I will buy it.
I do buy premium products but not from supermarkets !

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:11am

The_Barnacle wrote on Feb 4th, 2018 at 10:32am:
whiteknight wrote on Feb 4th, 2018 at 7:02am:
“Feedback has told us that our shopper prefer face-to-face interactions at registers and checkout wait times are an important part of their in-store experience,” the spokesman told News Corp.

“As such, our stores do not have self-service checkout and there are currently no plans to implement them.”   Smiley

Aldi is overrated
Their prices are pretty much the same as the no-name brand items in Woolies and Coles, but you don't have the option of getting a name brand.

The checkouts are horrendous. When I rarely visit Aldi I always get stuck behind someone doing their monthly grocery shop.

I much prefer automatic checkouts

My sentiments exactly ........

though I don't agree with automated checkouts.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

bludger

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 2:07pm

It's cheaper for me to drive 100k round trip once a fortnight and shop at aldi, i save $50 on a full trolley. Then I buy cheaper petrol and buy from a cheaper hardware store than M10.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #18 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 2:17pm

bludger wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 2:07pm:
It's cheaper for me to drive 100k round trip once a fortnight and shop at aldi, i save $50 on a full trolley. Then I buy cheaper petrol and buy from a cheaper hardware store than M10.

OK I have 4 Aldi's within 10km radius, you must be regional ?

For me to get to the my local Woolies I would have to walk an extra 200-300 metres past the Aldi store.
For me I am not a brand bunny so Aldi is fine by me.
I find the meat and chocolate is better quality than coles and woolies ..... but we mostly buy our meat from a premium butcher. Similar with fruit / veg.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #19 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 2:23pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 2:17pm:

For me to get to the my local Woolies I would have to walk an extra 200-300 metres past the Aldi store.
I find the meat and chocolate is better quality than coles and woolies ..... but we mostly buy our meat from a premium butcher. Similar with fruit / veg.

Could never do a big shop at Aldi tho, too many things out of stock. 

I go there once a week for random stuff,  their cheese is really good. Try the 18 month cheddar.

I also buy 2 star mince for the dog.

Veg = Harris Farm
Meat = Vics

IBI

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #20 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 3:05pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 2:23pm:

I go there once a week for random stuff,  their cheese is really good. Try the 18 month cheddar.

Veg = Harris Farm
Meat = Vics

I have two Harris farms one about 5 km away and one about 12 km away both are Rubbish and over priced..... with poor parking options.
We go to a big local independent that every few years wins the best greengrocer in Sydney award..... you can buy everything there but it would double you grocery bill, their pastries are to die for !
The butcher we go to is a poky little shop with a line 10-20 long during busy periods. And they are not cheap ! As we are regulars and spend up big there they give us a lot of free stuff to try. 

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #21 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 12:06pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 3:05pm:
Gordon wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 2:23pm:

Veg = Harris Farm
Meat = Vics

I have two Harris farms one about 5 km away and one about 12 km away both are Rubbish and over priced..... with poor parking options.
We go to a big local independent that every few years wins the best greengrocer in Sydney award..... you can buy everything there but it would double you grocery bill, their pastries are to die for !
The butcher we go to is a poky little shop with a line 10-20 long during busy periods. And they are not cheap ! As we are regulars and spend up big there they give us a lot of free stuff to try. 

Hmm, The owner of Harris Farm lives in my suburb so I guess the two shops in my hood are show pieces.

As for butchers....Vics Meat is a branch of these guys.
https://victorchurchill.com/

IBI

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #22 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 12:19pm

Gordon

Hmm, The owner of Harris Farm lives in my suburb so I guess the two shops in my hood are show pieces.

Quite possibly true not all stores are the same, when the Harris Farm first opened it looked OK, the store is poky and cluttered prices are high for everything but the fruit and veg quality is just not there as is the service.

We are lucky to have a great fruit market with top notch quality and great parking just up the road from where I live.

We used to have one of the big cattle farms set up a co-op type store in the factory area just down the road, best meat I have ever had but they got involved in some big foreign supply contract and had to shut the store.

There are a few Butchers I go to for pork this is my favourite.

http://www.manlingmeat.com.au/index.php?route=common/home

If your a veggo you will struggle in this store, you can pretty much buy every part of a pig .... they even structure the display like a pig layout.

I buy my pork belly there and they do the best ribs.

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2018 at 12:32pm by RightSaidFred »  

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #23 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 12:27pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 15th, 2018 at 12:19pm:
Gordon

Quite possible true not all stores are the same, when the Harris Farm first opened it looked OK, the store is poky and cluttered prices are high for everything but the fruit and veg quality is just not there as is the service.

We are lucky to have a great fruit market with top notch quality and great parking just up the road from where I live.

The Bondi Beach branch one of the most upmarket looking shops you'd care to visit, the prices are cheap..oh and the checkout staff are usually pretty hawt!
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2018 at 12:32pm by Gordon »  

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #24 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 12:31pm

I popped into Aldi today. I could never do a full sop there but there are some absolute standouts both in quality and price.

Their olive oil is Australian, just about as good as any and 90c/100ml

Their brie/camebert cheese is like $2.50 each and awesome

IBI

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #25 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 12:37pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 15th, 2018 at 12:31pm:
I popped into Aldi today. I could never do a full sop there but there are some absolute standouts both in quality and price.

Their olive oil is Australian, just about as good as any and 90c/100ml

Their brie/camebert cheese is like $2.50 each and awesome

As I said before if you want specific brands you will struggle in Aldi they have narrow brand ranges, but great prices.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print