Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ABC video on guns in the 70s (Read 2202 times)
Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

ABC video on guns in the 70s
Feb 2nd, 2018 at 4:01pm

It appears people weren't scared back in the 70s when someone would walk down the street with a rifle.

https://www.facebook.com/abcnews.au/videos/10157789312624988/?fref=mentions

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: ABC video on guns in the 70s
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 10:40am

Was like that in the 80s and early 90s too.

This brainwashed generation is a crack up. Shite scared of some steel and timber yet sit in a motor vehicle on their phones.

I remember walking down the street as kids with our air rifles shooting toads. Neighbors would come out and ask how many we've got...sometimes inviting us in to the yard to clean up the ones around their house. I would love for my kids to be able to do this.

It's amazing how quickly humans can be brainwashed.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 3:00pm

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there." - L.P. Hartley...  Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 3:06pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Feb 2nd, 2018 at 4:01pm:
It appears people weren't scared back in the 70s when someone would walk down the street with a rifle.

A three minute video on Facebook represents an entire decade now.

Grin

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 3:11pm

Dunno about now, but back in my day, the offence was to go armed in public in such a manner as would cause fear....to any reasonable person.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 9:45pm

Walking out of a hardware shop with an axe and down the main street of a country town not so long ago drew some attention.
Walking around the suburbs with a slug gun in the old days drew no attention at all with a trail of spoggys in my wake.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 7:19pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 16th, 2018 at 3:11pm:

Dunno about now, but back in my day, the offence was to go armed in public in such a manner as would cause fear....to any reasonable person.

I've walked down the main street of Kyogle with an unbagged .22 rifle, no-one batted an eyelid, I carried a mini14 through Lismore, same deal. Mid '80s.

When we(wife and I) and a couple of other guys we met in Darwin were stopped at a beach in Gladstone, our cars were searched for drugs, there was a box up the back of the boot between the wheel arches of out HK, the cop asked what was in the box, I said a rifle, .243 BLR, didn't even bother looking. Australia has gone paranoid to the point kids get cops called on them when they play with toy guns.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 9:17pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 7:19pm:

I've walked down the main street of Kyogle with an unbagged .22 rifle, no-one batted an eyelid, I carried a mini14 through Lismore, same deal. Mid '80s.

When we(wife and I) and a couple of other guys we met in Darwin were stopped at a beach in Gladstone, our cars were searched for drugs, there was a box up the back of the boot between the wheel arches of out HK, the cop asked what was in the box, I said a rifle, .243 BLR, didn't even bother looking. Australia has gone paranoid to the point kids get cops called on them when they play with toy guns.

Yep.
And the cops don't know how to deal with the situation so they just shoot you.
I realise this bloke.didn't do himself any favors by having a plastic gun on him but to be shot for it....wow.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-21/police-shooting-victim-brandished-toy-g...

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 10:07pm

Maybe back in the 70s and 80s a reasonable person didn't piss their pants when some bloke was carrying a wooden stick like they do these days.

In such a manner would probably predicated on a person having a gun and maybe say pointing at people or firing it. Not just having a gun in their possession.

People are absolutely terrified of fkk all these days, and tend to scream and panic at very little, so what would be considered hysterical and extremely unreasonable back then is the norm today.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 11:26pm

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print