Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Not Working Because Childcare Is Too Expensive (Read 4498 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Not Working Because Childcare Is Too Expensive
Reply #90 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 12:28am

I took as year off for my first born, too...... the company called me back when they were desperate for talent.... that's why I was on $50k + in 1988, rising to $100k+ four years later..... in those day's dollars, not now's dollars....  I was earning as much as a useless seat-warming politician does now - by sheer hard work, integrity and loyalty.

In 1988 you could buy a house in Sydney for $100k .... so work out for yourselves what my work was worth.... but I earned every cent.

No Far Ken childcare, either.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #91 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 1:08am

I have forgotten what the cost of living was like in 1988. But 100k per year would be absolutely raking it in. A relative of mine worked in the mines, and he was doing 5-figure yearly salaries before he retired. But not much more over 5-figures. So, I could imagine that you would have been doing very well for yourself.

For what it is worth, I can only remember the late 1990s being about 60% the cost of living of today's. In 1988, I would assume that the cost of living was about 35% of today's.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #92 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 4:32am

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 1:08am:
I have forgotten what the cost of living was like in 1988. But 100k per year would be absolutely raking it in. A relative of mine worked in the mines, and he was doing 5-figure yearly salaries before he retired. But not much more over 5-figures. So, I could imagine that you would have been doing very well for yourself.

For what it is worth, I can only remember the late 1990s being about 60% the cost of living of today's. In 1988, I would assume that the cost of living was about 35% of today's.

The purchasing power of a dollar is about 1/3 what it was then, so $100k would be around $300k now.  Not a bludge job, either, though I should have become a politician if I'd only known the perks.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print