Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Turco Solv( trichloroethylene) (Read 955 times)
Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Turco Solv( trichloroethylene)
Feb 1st, 2018 at 12:56pm

Many of us used Turco throughout the 70s/80's to clean everything from grease traps to motors.   My employment as a Junior Sailor electrician saw me exposed to the stuff on an hourly basis over the course of my career as a maintainer.     It was widely used in Army and Airforce as well.      It is good to see that DVA have accepted liability in this case whereby Turco has been linked to Parkinsons.  Those on here who were in the Defence Forces and exposed to the stuff are encouraged to read the full article and if it has affected you, see an Advocate for further action with DVA

"Keith Bailey spent 36 years in the Australian Navy and rose to the rank of commander, but his service to the country came at great personal cost.

The Navy has conceded it left him with Parkinson's disease as a result of exposure to the industrial solvent trichloroethylene, or TCE.

"When I joined the Navy in '67 I didn't have Parkinson's, and when I left in 2003 I did have Parkinson's," Mr Bailey said.

In 2016 the Department of Veterans' Affairs formally recognised exposure to TCE as a cause of Parkinson's.

Mr Bailey believed he was the first Australian veteran to have such a claim approved.

"If you had 2,000 hours' exposure to trichloroethylene, there was a reasonable hypothesis that your Parkinson's was caused by trichloroethylene," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-31/chemical-tce-found-to-have-caused-parkinso...

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print