Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Changing Other Poster's Replies (Read 2939 times)
Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
Changing Other Poster's Replies
Jan 31st, 2018 at 11:04am

G'Day All,

Please do not change another poster's reply or add/delete to their post within that poster's  posting "window"     By all means use the strikethrough function if you wish to highlight some aspect of their post , but leave the original post intact.   It may not be a biggy to some  but it can be misleading in that it changes the context of that poster's  frame of reply and in some cases may take that poster's "argument" of the topic in another direction to other posters.

Thankyou

Vic

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Changing Other Poster's Replies
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 12:11pm

Vic wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 11:04am:
G'Day All,

Please do not change another poster's reply or add/delete to their post within that poster's  posting "window"     By all means use the strikethrough function if you wish to highlight some aspect of their post , but leave the original post intact.   It may not be a biggy to some  but it can be misleading in that it changes the context of that poster's  frame of reply and in some cases may take that poster's "argument" of the topic in another direction to other posters.

Thankyou

Vic

Vic, just to assist us with a practical example/illustration ~

Is that okay? 

Your original post is intact.  It's the post ~ opening post above this one and is intact.

Huh

And Indian women aren't exactly LBFMs. ~ A Member
A Member ~ kill every man woman and child, who is a Muslim.
A Member ~ I know if he had touched my kid he [taxi driver]would need an Ambulance

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 12:58pm

No it's not alright. It's vandalism, but you seem to be OK with it, so what does that make you?

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 1:20pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 12:11pm:
G'Day All,

Thankyou

Vic

Vic, just to assist us with a practical example/illustration ~

Is that okay

Your original post is intact.  It's the post ~ opening post above this one and is intact.

Huh

Vic, just to assist us with a practical example/illustration of what is NOT OK.

This is only done for educational purposes as an example of what NOT to do.

Wokka Wokka Wokka

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 1:20pm

bogarde73 wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 12:58pm:
No it's not alright. It's vandalism, but you seem to be OK with it, so what does that make you?

Bogarde, please read again.  I am asking Vic if my interpretation of his post is correct.

Have you been hassling the GMods via PM over this?

A Member ~ I know if he had touched my kid he [taxi driver]would need an Ambulance

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 1:53pm

It is good that this is being discussed.

Firstly, I'm not entirely innocent about this. I have occasionally altered the text in the original post, but not without some kind of clear indication that it has been altered.

Practices I consider acceptable:

* Removing irrelevant text - If this is done, it must be clearly shown such as using an ellipsis or inserting (snip). This must never be done if the meaning of the remaining text is substantively altered.
* Deleting paragraphs without marking, but only at the top or bottom.
* Deleting older quoted text without any marking. Space limitations may require this.

Practices that are not acceptable IMO:

* Removing context to alter the meaning of text. Some posters have a habit of quoting phrases or parts of sentences out of context and then using this to construct strawman arguments.
* Attributing remarks to someone without linking to the original text. That could include claiming that someone else said something (this is not always true).
* Wholesale editing of text inside quote tags.
* Using color tags to post responses inside quoted text. Break up the text using quote tags, that's what they are for.
* Posting articles from outside the forum and editing the text of those articles with substantive alterations.

Practices that are dubious:

* Copying and pasting articles in general. This may be a breach of copyright.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:34pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 12:11pm:
G'Day All,

Thankyou

Vic

Is that okay? 

Yes.

You may also only quote the part of the post you are answering to, from the start to the end of the sentence/statement but you can not change it. The original posters words must be left intact. Yes I saw what you did there.

nu ninda an ezzateni watar ma ekuteni

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:42pm

G'Day All,

Thankyou

Vic

That is silly Vic - it is stupid to continually re post 50 lines of text plus however many replies were before it just to comment on one sentence.

We routinely see 20 windows in windows all which could contain this imaginary context.

If done responsibly it is a good thing to do, it is saying this is what I am commenting about and this is the reason.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:44pm

Dnarever wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:42pm:
G'Day All,

Thankyou

Vic

That is silly Vic - it is stupid to continually re post 50 lines of text plus however many replies were before it just to comment on one sentence.

We routinely see 20 windows in windows all which could contain this imaginary context.

If done responsibly it is a good thing to do, it is saying this is what I am commenting about and this is the reason.

See my post above yours. You may cut it down to the part you are you are replying to, as I did, but you cannot change the words.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:50pm

Setanta wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:44pm:
G'Day All,

Thankyou

Vic

See my post above yours. You may cut it down to the part you are you are replying to, as I did, but you cannot change the words.

Are you Vic Setanta or have I missed something ?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:54pm

Dnarever wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:50pm:
G'Day All,

Thankyou

Vic

I'm answering your question as I see it. You may not misrepresent what another poster has posted by editing their posts, cutting sentences/statements short/add stuff etc to misrepresent what they have posted, leave their words intact.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #11 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:11pm

Setanta wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:54pm:
G'Day All,

Thankyou

Vic

I'm answering your question as I see it. You may not misrepresent what another poster has posted by editing their posts, cutting sentences/statements short/add stuff etc to misrepresent what they have posted, leave their words intact.

I would never do any of those things but you are not in sync with what Vic proclaimed. Do you trump Vic or does Vic's proclamation stand ?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #12 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:18pm

Dnarever wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:11pm:
Setanta wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:54pm:
G'Day All,

Thankyou

Vic

I would never do any of those things but you are not in sync with what Vic proclaimed. Do you trump Vic or does Vic's proclamation stand ?

I think you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. For why? I do not know but how I have explained it to you is what I see him meaning. Perhaps he wasn't clear enough for you, it took me a lot to get it through some members heads when this behaviour was rife. One of them now just strikes out whole posts just to be pedantic and show his childish rebellious streak even though he knows what I've said. You may do the same if you feel the need but I think I've been clear. Do not misrepresent posters by editing their posts/words.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #13 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:21pm

Am I a fool for seeing the good in mankind?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #14 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:22pm

Setanta wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:21pm:
Am I a fool ?

Yes you are!

(not acceptable)

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #15 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:22pm

Yes you are!

(Acceptable)

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #16 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:23pm

Yes you are!

(acceptable)

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:27pm

Quote:
Perhaps he wasn't clear enough for you,

Or for me, and that's why I asked at Reply # 1.  His explanation was as mysterious/ambiguous as his explanation about avoiding the word filter.  You have now made it very clear.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #18 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:30pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:27pm:
Quote:

Or for me, and that's why I asked at Reply # 1.  His explanation was as mysterious/ambiguous as his explanation about avoiding the word filter.  You have now made it very clear.

That should be...

Quote:
Perhaps he wasn't clear enough for you, it took me a lot to get it through some members heads when this behaviour was rife.

Leave the whole sentence/statement intact. Begin and end on punctuation/paragraph, if you like.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 11:06am

Quote:

Look again.  What I quoted
does
begin and end with a punctuation mark.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #20 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 5:10pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 1st, 2018 at 11:06am:
Quote:

does

Roll Eyes But it's not the end of the sentence.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 5:15pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 1st, 2018 at 5:10pm:
Quote:

does

Correct:

Hence, you can see the comma.

Quote:
Begin and end on punctuation/paragraph, if you like.

What I quoted began with a punctuation mark (capital letter) and ended with another (a comma.)

Is that okay?

Huh

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #22 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 9:19pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 1st, 2018 at 5:15pm:
Setanta wrote on Feb 1st, 2018 at 5:10pm:
Quote:

does

Correct:

Hence, you can see the comma.

Quote:

What I quoted began with a punctuation mark (capital letter) and ended with another (a comma.)

Is that okay?

Huh

Don't be a dick, you know exactly what I said, you even said I made it clear. Why are you playing dense now? Trying to outdo Greg in pedantry? What do you hope to achieve? Perhaps you should read Quote:
Leave the whole sentence/statement intact.
this again. I'm sure you're smart enough to comprehend it. I'm not playing this game any more.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 9:23pm

You call it a game?  This is what you said:

Quote:

That is exactly what I did.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #24 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 9:32pm

Quote:

I have a clear understanding of what Sentanta is saying but not sure that it isn't very different to what Vic said.

Also not sure that either has the authority to make a binding ruling on the topic or if so which one ?

IMO it isn't a problem unless people start changing the meaning of others posts.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #25 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 9:35pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 1st, 2018 at 9:23pm:
You call it a game?  This is what you said:

Quote:

That is exactly what I did.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 9:37pm

So.....what did you mean when you posted:

Quote:

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #27 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 9:47pm

Dnarever wrote on Feb 1st, 2018 at 9:32pm:
Quote:

I have a clear understanding of what Sentanta is saying but not sure that it isn't very different to what Vic said.

Also not sure that either has the authority to make a binding ruling on the topic or if so which one ?

IMO it isn't a problem unless people start changing the meaning of others posts.

I've suspended a number of people for doing it over my time as a mod and as I give the reason and length of suspension in a part of the forum for all mods to read, including fd and have never been pulled up for it I'd suggest therefore I have that authority.

I have no idea why it's so hard for people to type their own words and their need to misrepresent other posters by changing theirs. I also have no idea why people would think that it's a bad idea to have such a ruling.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #28 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 9:48pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 1st, 2018 at 9:37pm:

Quote:

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 9:52pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 1st, 2018 at 9:48pm:

Quote:

Why did you say this?

Quote:

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #30 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 9:55pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 1st, 2018 at 9:52pm:

Quote:

Why did you say this?

Quote:

Leave the whole sentence/statement intact. You know what I meant, stop being a dick.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #31 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 9:59pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 1st, 2018 at 9:52pm:

Quote:

Why did you say this?

Quote:

Leave the whole sentence/statement intact. Get over it. Deal with it. Or perhaps try it out.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #32 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 10:01pm

Jayzuz!

So this (something you said, not me) is false?

Quote:

Why not tell us why you said that?

A simple, uncomplicated enquiry Setanta, yet you are avoiding responding directly to it.

Has me stuffed.

Huh

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #33 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 10:06pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 1st, 2018 at 10:01pm:
Jayzuz!

So this (something you said, not me) is false?

Quote:

Why not tell us why you said that?

A simple, uncomplicated enquiry Setanta, yet you are avoiding responding directly to it.

Has me stuffed.

Huh

No, it's you playing silly buggers. Any reasonable person would understand exactly what I said. You chose to make it a pedantic game. So again, don't be a dick. If you think I have not been clear enough, go edit posts the way you see fit but don't cry if the results are not to your liking.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #34 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 10:12pm

Yet again.  Why did you post this?

Quote:
Begin and end on punctuation/paragraph,
if you like.

(My highlighting.)

That's what you posted.

Is that not what we can do, even though you said we could?

If so, just say so.

It is what it is....a simple question, not a hand grenade.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #35 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 10:19pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 1st, 2018 at 10:12pm:
Yet again.  Why did you post this?

Quote:
Begin and end on punctuation/paragraph,
if you like.

(My highlighting.)

That's what you posted.

Is that not what we can do, even though you said we could?

If so, just say so.

It is what it is....a simple question, not a hand grenade.

Did you study English as well as Law?

Quote:
Definition of if you like
1 —used to agree politely to a suggestion or request "Could we stay a little longer?" "Yes, if you like."
2 chiefly British —used to suggest a possible way of describing or thinking about something The experience was, if you like, a glimpse of the future.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/if%20you%20like

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #36 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 10:20pm

Rubbish.  Sheer piss weak rubbish.

Good night.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #37 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 10:21pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 1st, 2018 at 10:20pm:
Rubbish.  Sheer piss weak rubbish.

Good night.

Finally.

edit: I have no idea why what I posted as a reply to what I meant by "if you like" is "Rubbish.  Sheer piss weak rubbish." That is exactly how I meant it. The only explanation I can see is that you don't want to accept it. It is, if you like, Aussie waving a white flag.

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2018 at 10:29pm by Setanta »  

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #38 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 2:27pm

So it's OK if I remove greggarypeccary's vandalism wherever & whenever I come across it?

I mean to say, they clean graffiti off walls don't they?

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 3:33pm

I have seen people disingenuously say they use the strike through form of censorship to just highlight what they wish to respond to yet they strike through whole posts and make no comment in response.   Just a quote of a post which is all struck through.    Which makes this a lie.

The only reason to use the strike through form of censorship is to try to negate, demean and diminish another poster's thoughts and words and I cannot see how this is a positive thing.

Nor can I see why it is condoned and/or encouraged.   It is not a form of discussion as all it serves to do is stop discussion dead in its tracks and sideline in to disruption and derailment of threads.

It's a totally ignorant and negative thing.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 3:41pm

Black Orchid wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 3:33pm:
I have seen people disingenuously say they use the strike through form of censorship to just highlight what they wish to respond to yet they strike through whole posts and make no comment in response.   Just a quote of a post which is all struck through.    Which makes this a lie.

The only reason to use the strike through form of censorship is to try to negate, demean and diminish another poster's thoughts and words and I cannot see how this is a positive thing.

Nor can I see why it is condoned and/or encouraged.   It is not a form of discussion as all it serves to do is stop discussion dead in its tracks and sideline in to disruption and derailment of threads.

I am pretty sure strikethrough was mandated for Gregg, cos like the juvenile attention seeking dishonest troll he is, he was incapable of editing anyone's post to respond to pertinent parts without changing the meaning and misrepresenting what some one had posted.

But yes, it is lazy and is just a gain say without any effort at thought or rebuttal. 

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #41 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 3:42pm

Yes, let's fret the really serious issues like using the strike through facility, and ignore (as you have) the really petty issues like outrageous and totally unacceptable doxxing here.

And yes, I do use the strike through facility to negate, demean and diminish another poster's thoughts and words, just like you do yet far more obviously with your passive aggressive and very negative posts.

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 4:01pm

Aussie my understanding of Feedback is to give FEEDBACK.  Not to spend time trolling and attacking other posters regarding their FEEDBACK opinions nor about something not relevant to this topic.

I gave my opinion on "Changing other poster's replies" so perhaps you too could stick to that topic and not make things personal against other posters?  At LEAST in FEEDBACK!!

Feedback should be free from personal attacks.  End of.

« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2018 at 4:15pm by Black Orchid »  
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #43 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 4:07pm

Black Orchid wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 4:01pm:
Aussie my understanding of Feedback is to give FEEDBACK.  Not to spend time trolling and attacking other posters regarding their FEEDBACK opinions.

I gave my opinion on "Changing other poster's replies" so perhaps you too could stick to that topic and not make things personal against other posters.  At LEAST in FEEDBACK!!

And I am giving my opinion on your opinion.  Your objection is that the only reason to use the strike through form of censorship is to try to negate, demean and diminish another poster's thoughts and words.

I am saying that you do that with words, just like we all do and should on a political forum if we disagree with that poster's thoughts and words.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #44 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 10:07pm

It's either that or they will be editing your posts to misrepresent. The point of it being that the reader can see what was originally posted, they can make up their minds about the way/reason a person edits the post. Rather than complaining, people should be happy their words are still there to be read by other posters and their words are not changed to misrepresent what they said. In an ideal world this would not be necessary but we have some posters that just love to misrepresent others they disagree with rather than have a rational discussion.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 11:07pm

I want the moderators' feedback on this.

Here is the relevant part of my post (irrelevant context in a long post has been deleted for the sake of brevity):

Bam wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 5:30pm:
[snip]
Your habit of selectively quote parts of posts and deleting questions you find inconvenient is proof enough that you refuse to discuss inconvenient topics:

Bam wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 8:24am:
Tell me again which is the only major party opposing a Federal anti-corruption commission?

What's the matter, Liberal fanboi, don't like having the Liberals' corruption exposed to scrutiny?
[snip]

Here is what was quoted in lee's response - again, irrelevant context deleted:

lee wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 6:09pm:
[snip]
Your habit of selectively quote parts of posts

If they are the only part of a post I disagree with; why  paste it all?

What's the matter, Liberal fanboi, don't like having the Liberals' corruption exposed to scrutiny?

[snip]

As can be seen here, lee has chosen to delete parts of sentences and has altered substantially the meaning of the original text before responding. This is not an accident; he has done it before.

What are the moderators' views on this kind of posting conduct?

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #46 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 1:06am

Bam wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 11:07pm:
I want the moderators' feedback on this.

Here is the relevant part of my post (irrelevant context in a long post has been deleted for the sake of brevity):

[snip]
Your habit of selectively quote parts of posts and deleting questions you find inconvenient is proof enough that you refuse to discuss inconvenient topics:

Bam wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 8:24am:
Tell me again which is the only major party opposing a Federal anti-corruption commission?

[snip]

Here is what was quoted in lee's response - again, irrelevant context deleted:

lee wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 6:09pm:
[snip]
Your habit of selectively quote parts of posts

If they are the only part of a post I disagree with; why  paste it all?

[snip]

As can be seen here, lee has chosen to delete parts of sentences and has altered substantially the meaning of the original text before responding. This is not an accident; he has done it before.

What are the moderators' views on this kind of posting conduct?

I think it's been made clear Bam. Don't change sentences, if that has been the case, post "this is what it was" and "this is what it is now" and send it to a mod with a link to the posts. I have no inclination to decipher your post above.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

In un mondo di ciechi
un orbo è re.

Reply #47 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 9:32pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 10:07pm:

It's either that or they will be editing your posts to misrepresent.
The point of it being that the reader can see what was originally posted, they can make up their minds about the way/reason a person edits the post. Rather than complaining, people should be happy their words are still there to be read by other posters
and their words are not changed to misrepresent what they said. In an ideal world this would not be necessary but we have some posters that just love to misrepresent others they disagree with rather than have a rational discussion.

@
Setanta

I wholeheartedly agree.......
  Wink

(Would the above quoting technique be acceptable, making the part I am agreeing to stand out amongst the "other" text, while leaving the "other" text there to be readable & interpreted by subsequent readers?

Is that in the spirit of your posts)

PS.....I hope you concur, that this technique can also be used, because I cant get my head around using the strike-through, for IMHO it shows complete disdain for the original poster, & extremely disrespectful when used like GrPecca does. I know I'm not alone in that opinion.

Whatever.......I will comply to whatever is acceptable to yourself & the powers that be, as I wish to remain in good standing.

« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2018 at 10:10pm by Panther »  

In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
  .. G. Orwell

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

Peace \/ man

Northern NSW
Reply #48 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 9:53pm

Panther wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 9:32pm:
Setanta wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 10:07pm:

It's either that or they will be editing your posts to misrepresent.
The point of it being that the reader can see what was originally posted, they can make up their minds about the way/reason a person edits the post. Rather than complaining, people should be happy their words are still there to be read by other posters
and their words are not changed to misrepresent what they said. In an ideal world this would not be necessary but we have some posters that just love to misrepresent others they disagree with rather than have a rational discussion.

@
Setanta

I wholeheartedly agree.......
  Wink

(Would the above quoting technique be acceptable, making the part I am agreeing to stand out amongst the "other" text, while leaving the "other" text there to be readable & interpreted by subsequent readers?

Is that in the spirit of your posts)

PS.....I hope you concur, that this technique can also be used, because I cant get my head around using the strike-through, for IMHO it shows complete disdain for the original poster, & extremely disrespectful when used like GrPecca does. I know I'm not alone in that opinion.

Whatever.......I will comply to whatever is acceptable to yourself & the powers that be, as I wish to remain in good standing.

Of course if no text was changed or words omitted from sentences.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 11:38am

It just encourages the well known trolls who because they think defacing and defiling another poster's post by crossing out is a "clever" rather small minded childish way of trying to put down and annoy the other poster.

It is blatantly illegal as it illegally misquotes the other poster as the illegal defaced defiled post clearly says the previous poster posted this which they did not.

Doing the same thing to the trolls just inflames them to repeat their recidivist deliberately disruptive illegal behavior as they see it as a way of becoming the center of attention.

A troll is really a child's mind in an adult body.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2018 at 10:25pm by juliar »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print