Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Changing Other Poster's Replies (Read 22371 times)
Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Changing Other Poster's Replies
Jan 31st, 2018 at 11:04am

G'Day All,

Please do not change another poster's reply or add/delete to their post within that poster's  posting "window"     By all means use the strikethrough function if you wish to highlight some aspect of their post , but leave the original post intact.   It may not be a biggy to some  but it can be misleading in that it changes the context of that poster's  frame of reply and in some cases may take that poster's "argument" of the topic in another direction to other posters.

Thankyou

Vic

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Changing Other Poster's Replies
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 12:11pm

Vic wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 11:04am:
G'Day All,

Please do not change another poster's reply or add/delete to their post within that poster's  posting "window"     By all means use the strikethrough function if you wish to highlight some aspect of their post , but leave the original post intact.   It may not be a biggy to some  but it can be misleading in that it changes the context of that poster's  frame of reply and in some cases may take that poster's "argument" of the topic in another direction to other posters.

Thankyou

Vic

Vic, just to assist us with a practical example/illustration ~

Is that okay? 

Your original post is intact.  It's the post ~ opening post above this one and is intact.

Huh

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 12:58pm

No it's not alright. It's vandalism, but you seem to be OK with it, so what does that make you?

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 1:20pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 12:11pm:
G'Day All,

Thankyou

Vic

Vic, just to assist us with a practical example/illustration ~

Is that okay

Your original post is intact.  It's the post ~ opening post above this one and is intact.

Huh

Vic, just to assist us with a practical example/illustration of what is NOT OK.

This is only done for educational purposes as an example of what NOT to do.

IBI

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 1:20pm

bogarde73 wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 12:58pm:
No it's not alright. It's vandalism, but you seem to be OK with it, so what does that make you?

Bogarde, please read again.  I am asking Vic if my interpretation of his post is correct.

Have you been hassling the GMods via PM over this?

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 1:53pm

It is good that this is being discussed.

Firstly, I'm not entirely innocent about this. I have occasionally altered the text in the original post, but not without some kind of clear indication that it has been altered.

Practices I consider acceptable:

* Removing irrelevant text - If this is done, it must be clearly shown such as using an ellipsis or inserting (snip). This must never be done if the meaning of the remaining text is substantively altered.
* Deleting paragraphs without marking, but only at the top or bottom.
* Deleting older quoted text without any marking. Space limitations may require this.

Practices that are not acceptable IMO:

* Removing context to alter the meaning of text. Some posters have a habit of quoting phrases or parts of sentences out of context and then using this to construct strawman arguments.
* Attributing remarks to someone without linking to the original text. That could include claiming that someone else said something (this is not always true).
* Wholesale editing of text inside quote tags.
* Using color tags to post responses inside quoted text. Break up the text using quote tags, that's what they are for.
* Posting articles from outside the forum and editing the text of those articles with substantive alterations.

Practices that are dubious:

* Copying and pasting articles in general. This may be a breach of copyright.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:34pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 12:11pm:
G'Day All,

Thankyou

Vic

Is that okay? 

Yes.

You may also only quote the part of the post you are answering to, from the start to the end of the sentence/statement but you can not change it. The original posters words must be left intact. Yes I saw what you did there.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:42pm

G'Day All,

Thankyou

Vic

That is silly Vic - it is stupid to continually re post 50 lines of text plus however many replies were before it just to comment on one sentence.

We routinely see 20 windows in windows all which could contain this imaginary context.

If done responsibly it is a good thing to do, it is saying this is what I am commenting about and this is the reason.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:44pm

Dnarever wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:42pm:
G'Day All,

Thankyou

Vic

That is silly Vic - it is stupid to continually re post 50 lines of text plus however many replies were before it just to comment on one sentence.

We routinely see 20 windows in windows all which could contain this imaginary context.

If done responsibly it is a good thing to do, it is saying this is what I am commenting about and this is the reason.

See my post above yours. You may cut it down to the part you are you are replying to, as I did, but you cannot change the words.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:50pm

Setanta wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:44pm:
G'Day All,

Thankyou

Vic

See my post above yours. You may cut it down to the part you are you are replying to, as I did, but you cannot change the words.

Are you Vic Setanta or have I missed something ?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:54pm

Dnarever wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:50pm:
G'Day All,

Thankyou

Vic

I'm answering your question as I see it. You may not misrepresent what another poster has posted by editing their posts, cutting sentences/statements short/add stuff etc to misrepresent what they have posted, leave their words intact.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #11 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:11pm

Setanta wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:54pm:
G'Day All,

Thankyou

Vic

I'm answering your question as I see it. You may not misrepresent what another poster has posted by editing their posts, cutting sentences/statements short/add stuff etc to misrepresent what they have posted, leave their words intact.

I would never do any of those things but you are not in sync with what Vic proclaimed. Do you trump Vic or does Vic's proclamation stand ?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #12 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:18pm

Dnarever wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:11pm:
Setanta wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:54pm:
G'Day All,

Thankyou

Vic

I would never do any of those things but you are not in sync with what Vic proclaimed. Do you trump Vic or does Vic's proclamation stand ?

I think you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. For why? I do not know but how I have explained it to you is what I see him meaning. Perhaps he wasn't clear enough for you, it took me a lot to get it through some members heads when this behaviour was rife. One of them now just strikes out whole posts just to be pedantic and show his childish rebellious streak even though he knows what I've said. You may do the same if you feel the need but I think I've been clear. Do not misrepresent posters by editing their posts/words.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #13 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:21pm

Am I a fool for seeing the good in mankind?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #14 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:22pm

Setanta wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 7:21pm:
Am I a fool ?

Yes you are!

(not acceptable)

IP Logged