Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cole's Book Arcade, Melbourne (Read 1504 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Cole's Book Arcade, Melbourne
Jan 26th, 2018 at 3:07pm

Don't go looking for it, it ain't there anymore. But it was supposed to have held 1 million books in its day.

Edward Cole was an amazing man for his time.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/hindsight/the-imaginarium-of-ew-col...

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: Cole's Book Arcade, Melbourne
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 3:46pm

We can only hope that electronic media actually takes the place of print media properly, and does not merely lay waste to it, leaving a kind of "Reader's Digest" of literature. Personally speaking, I prefer reading a bound edition, and I especially like those that were on good quality paper, but stuffing a well thumbed paper back in my travel kit had an intimacy of its own. I read electronic editions too. They are convenient, but I like the tangible objects of art. Its what I like about CD format with decent album notes. Its a compromise between the old albums and digital recording. You can look at shelf of books or CDs and know where you are at a glance. If I have to open a file and read through a thousand titles, its just not as enjoyable.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print