Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
More RAM in the computer for a fix up? (Read 4813 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: More RAM in the computer for a fix up?
Reply #30 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 4:43pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 12th, 2018 at 8:49am:
Bobby. wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 6:40pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 7:31am:
Bobby. wrote on Mar 10th, 2018 at 5:44pm:
I bought my computer over 4 years ago already installed with 16 gig of RAM.

I never run out of RAM even when doing complex programs like Photoshop.
The most I ever used was about 12 G  when I was doing 5 complicated programs at once.

I am sure 16Gb would be overkill for what I use my computer. 8GB is going to be enough for now. If I have enough space, I might go up to 12GB later this year. It would be a waste to have a computer replaced for $600 (minimum) when an extra RAM chip is all that is needed.

It just depends on what you're doing with your computer.
At the moment I'm just browsing and I'm using 3.5 GByte.

Right at this moment, my computer is oscillating between 15% CPU and 100% CPU. The memory seems steady at 97%. Is that okay?

97% - that's no good -
you're probably hammering your hard disk through lack of memory.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #31 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 2:57am

It is down to 37% since I had another 8Gig installed.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #32 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 12:31pm

RAM bam thankee mam.

I HATE windows 10.

Greedy inefficient resource hungry crap.

My 2003 home build XP machine is still my fave old beast. 2.4 cpu, O/C to 3.6 on standard cooling, 4Gb ddr ram, ran like a top for 10 years, never missed a beat.

Now I buy cheap laptops, cos they are cheap, and I do have the ability to fire up a dual core 2.6 O/C to 3.2, with 8gb ddr2 if I ever want to do video, or photo editing, but I never do any more.

When I built the second, I compared the two, and the ten year old performed as well as the newer one in everything except video processing, it took 40 mins to convert a dvd, and the new one did it in 12 mins.
I did not care. I could not watch an hour and a half movie in 40 mins, or 12, so I stopped caring about keeping up with computers at that point.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #33 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:07pm

mozzaok wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 12:31pm:
RAM bam thankee mam.

I HATE windows 10.

My 2003 home build XP machine is still my fave old beast. 2.4 cpu, O/C to 3.6 on standard cooling, 4Gb ddr ram, ran like a top for 10 years, never missed a beat.

Now I buy cheap laptops, cos they are cheap, and I do have the ability to fire up a dual core 2.6 O/C to 3.2, with 8gb ddr2 if I ever want to do video, or photo editing, but I never do any more.

When I built the second, I compared the two, and the ten year old performed as well as the newer one in everything except video processing, it took 40 mins to convert a dvd, and the new one did it in 12 mins.
I did not care. I could not watch an hour and a half movie in 40 mins, or 12, so I stopped caring about keeping up with computers at that point.

Prefer UBUNTU runs like a dream even on a basic Pentium Duo

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #34 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 6:57pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:07pm:
mozzaok wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 12:31pm:
RAM bam thankee mam.

I HATE windows 10.

Prefer UBUNTU runs like a dream even on a basic Pentium Duo

I prefer Debian, been using it since giving OS/2 the heave in '96.
Linux dougs 3.16.0-5-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.51-3+deb8u1 (2018-01-08) x86_64 GNU/Linux

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #35 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 12:15am

12 Gig of RAM is just having my computer fly along now. No lagging or anything. Programs open up quicker. The computer starts up faster. Just no problems compared to my last year beforehand.

I have Windows 10, and I am happier with this O/S than any other.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #36 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 5:04pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 17th, 2018 at 12:15am:
12 Gig of RAM is just having my computer fly along now. No lagging or anything. Programs open up quicker. The computer starts up faster. Just no problems compared to my last year beforehand.

Good - it just goes to prove that enough RAM is important.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #37 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 3:44am

Bobby. wrote on Mar 17th, 2018 at 5:04pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 17th, 2018 at 12:15am:

Good - it just goes to prove that enough RAM is important.

Provided that you do the disk cleanup and defragging of drives frequently. That was one of the things that helped me get by whenever trouble emerged. Only noticed this before. If I go 2 weeks without a cleanup and defrag, the computer lags.

Recently, some Avast antivirus program was installed somehow on my computer. However, it seems to have improved my system somewhat. I was having trouble trying to update CCleaner. The free version wanted me to pay for an updated version of CCleaner. But Avast did the updates on my behalf.

Spending $140 on an extra 8Gig of RAM certainly is saving me a lot of headaches from frustration.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #38 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 3:46am

By the way, what do I do now about a CPU running at 100%?

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #39 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 5:31pm

While it is running at 100%, find the application consuming it all and determine the next step because the answer is, 'it depends"

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #40 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:16pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 3:46am:

As SN said, find the application using the CPU. You can do that by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL and choosing task manager. You can sort processes by cpu usage/mem/name etc. Post up what is using it if it continues.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #41 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 3:18am

Setanta wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:16pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 3:46am:

As SN said, find the application using the CPU. You can do that by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL and choosing task manager. You can sort processes by cpu usage/mem/name etc. Post up what is using it if it continues.

Yeah, I know. As soon as Super Nova wrote that response, I was thinking "Duuuh". Obviously. I shut down Origin, since I was not using it. Now the main program is the Trend Micro running in the background. I'm probably running too many browser tabs at the same time too to explain the high cpu.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #42 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 3:20am

Kind of wonder why the Terminator franchise could not be finished with John Connor shutting down Skynet with a suitable shut down algorithm uploaded. But they have to be stupid elaborate and blow schitt up to finish the job. Or maybe just walk in and yank out the chips out the back of Cyberdyne like they could have in Genysis. Would have made for a more interesting finale.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print