Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
More RAM in the computer for a fix up? (Read 4803 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: More RAM in the computer for a fix up?
Reply #15 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 9:51am

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 8:25am:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Jan 23rd, 2018 at 7:53am:
I think leave it as it mechanically.

Use a defragger esp for the register
Also run Ccleaner
Sort of like a service for a car.

Better to buy a whole new computer than replace bits on your 5 year old one

I roll them over every 3 years .... get better returns on ebay on the old stuff and the technology cycle is getting shorter.

With Laptops I would recommend buying one with an SSD regardless of brand or OS, OS slowness especially on startup is the HDD.

My personal choice is Lenovo Yoga line but the modern laptop is getting lighter and better. There are many good options out there.

Computers are so bloody cheap now.

I have 3 desktop computers. One is a speed machine, I can't remember the specs but I got a techy mate to pick the parts from MSY Ultimo which is one of the best shops in Sydney. $3k and it's lightning fast and I only use it for graphics and rendering. It never ever ever gets connect it to the internet so it never slows down or gets clogged up.

PC2 is my previous demoted graphics computer, about 5 years old. Still rock solid and I only use it for doing my business accounts and share trading.

PC3 I call the slut machine. It does all the net browsing etc so don't care what happens to it.

I picked it up refurbish from a guy who gets ex lease machines from Dell and HP and flips them. $150 for 8gig RAM i5. Plenty fast enough for media and browsing.

I just picked up before Xmas when

IBI

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #16 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 10:28am

I intend to rid the computer of a few programs. Steam won't be one of them, though.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #17 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 3:39pm

The guy I am bringing the machine in to do the upgrade is charging me $200 for another 4Gb RAM stick. Am I getting ripped off? Seems that I could get another stick for $130.

IP Logged

Sam Morris

Reply #18 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 3:59pm

Cheesy
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2018 at 5:59am by Sam Morris »  

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #19 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 5:39pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 10th, 2018 at 3:39pm:
The guy I am bringing the machine in to do the upgrade is charging me $200 for another 4Gb RAM stick. Am I getting ripped off? Seems that I could get another stick for $130.

Pull out the one you have, read what it is, put it back. Let us know what it is and we can go from there to find the best price.

For how to remove and install there are videos on YT. Go to Youtube and type in, installing ram.

$130 is way too much for the part. I'd suspect you have ddr3 ram so check this out.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-8GB-2x4GB-PC3-12800-DDR3-1600Mhz-240PIN-DIMM-AMD-...

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #20 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 5:44pm

Setanta wrote on Mar 10th, 2018 at 5:39pm:

Pull out the one you have, read what it is, put it back. Let us know what it is and we can go from there to find the best price.

For how to remove and install there are videos on YT. Go to Youtube and type in, installing ram.

$130 is way too much for the part. I'd suspect you have ddr3 ram so check this out.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-8GB-2x4GB-PC3-12800-DDR3-1600Mhz-240PIN-DIMM-AMD-...

If it's older ddr2 I might even have some laying around you could have.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #21 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 5:44pm

I bought my computer over 4 years ago already installed with 16 gig of RAM.

I never run out of RAM even when doing complex programs like Photoshop.
The most I ever used was about 12 G  when I was doing 5 complicated programs at once.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #22 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 7:25am

Setanta wrote on Mar 10th, 2018 at 5:39pm:

I did a youtube search on how to open my computer, the other day. It is an all in one computer. Real bastards to open. I was going to just go buy another appropriate RAM stick, until the guy on the counter wanted me to bring in the machine for him to do. I know I could probably save myself $100 doing it myself with some cheaper RAM stick, but I don't feel confident enough to do it right.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #23 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 7:31am

Bobby. wrote on Mar 10th, 2018 at 5:44pm:

The most I ever used was about 12 G  when I was doing 5 complicated programs at once.

I am sure 16Gb would be overkill for what I use my computer. 8GB is going to be enough for now. If I have enough space, I might go up to 12GB later this year. It would be a waste to have a computer replaced for $600 (minimum) when an extra RAM chip is all that is needed.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #24 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 6:20pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 10th, 2018 at 9:51am:

Also run Ccleaner

I roll them over every 3 years .... get better returns on ebay on the old stuff and the technology cycle is getting shorter.

With Laptops I would recommend buying one with an SSD regardless of brand or OS, OS slowness especially on startup is the HDD.

My personal choice is Lenovo Yoga line but the modern laptop is getting lighter and better. There are many good options out there.

I have 3 desktop computers. One is a speed machine, I can't remember the specs but I got a techy mate to pick the parts from MSY Ultimo which is one of the best shops in Sydney. $3k and it's lightning fast and I only use it for graphics and rendering. It never ever ever gets connect it to the internet so it never slows down or gets clogged up.

PC2 is my previous demoted graphics computer, about 5 years old. Still rock solid and I only use it for doing my business accounts and share trading.

PC3 I call the slut machine. It does all the net browsing etc so don't care what happens to it.

I picked it up refurbish from a guy who gets ex lease machines from Dell and HP and flips them. $150 for 8gig RAM i5. Plenty fast enough for media and browsing.

I buy my gear at Graysonline have been for a very long time.
I bought my laptop from them for $600 over 2 years ago ..... at the time it retailed for $1900 its a little beast ! SSDs really speed tings up !

I regularly buy Laptops / Desktops from them just to flip, one year I made about 10k profit doing it.

I bought a whole pile of servers a few years back as I knew the RAM was expensive. I parted them out making about $500 profit on the RAM.

I do it as a side hobby might take it up full time when I retire (whatever that means).
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2018 at 8:37am by RightSaidFred »  

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #25 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 6:24pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 6:20pm:

Also run Ccleaner

I bought my laptop from them for $600 over 2 years ago ..... at the time it retailed for $1900 its a little beast ! SSDs really speed tings up !

I regularly by Laptops / Desktops from them just to flip, one year I made about 10k profit doing it.

I bout a whole pile of servers a few years back as I knew the RAM was expensive. I parted them out making about $500 profit on the RAM.

I do it as a side hobby might take it up full time when I retire (whatever that means).

The bloke I bought the ex lease Dell box from was hilarious.

No legs, wheeling around a dingy garage stuffed full of computers you can hardly see because the air was so thick from his chain smoking  Smiley

He said he flew to china and stitched up a deal to buy container loads of old boxes and he 'sorts them'.

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #26 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 6:40pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 7:31am:

I am sure 16Gb would be overkill for what I use my computer. 8GB is going to be enough for now. If I have enough space, I might go up to 12GB later this year. It would be a waste to have a computer replaced for $600 (minimum) when an extra RAM chip is all that is needed.

It just depends on what you're doing with your computer.
At the moment I'm just browsing and I'm using 3.5 GByte.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #27 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 8:35am

Gordon wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 6:24pm:
RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 6:20pm:

Also run Ccleaner

I regularly by Laptops / Desktops from them just to flip, one year I made about 10k profit doing it.

I bout a whole pile of servers a few years back as I knew the RAM was expensive. I parted them out making about $500 profit on the RAM.

The bloke I bought the ex lease Dell box from was hilarious.

No legs, wheeling around a dingy garage stuffed full of computers you can hardly see because the air was so thick from his chain smoking  Smiley

He said he flew to china and stitched up a deal to buy container loads of old boxes and he 'sorts them'.

Sounds like my perfect retirement except prefer legs and I am not into smoking.

I ended up being a defacto IT manager for many local businesses most I do it for free (they are mates).
One actually asked me to send him an invoice. One just gave me $500 which I gave to charity.
One guy sent me a brand new 42 Inch plasma I helped him out with some tender evaluations and some project management ...... came home and there was a big box with Samsung written all over it at the front door. I was surprised it was still there.

Ex-lease stuff is very cheap and legally in the grey area. If you buy a a computer you generally depreciate it over 3 years after that its worthless as you have written it off.
In the old days they use to put them in the bin, after that the employees use to fish them out of the bin and take them home..... once written of under tax law they can not sell them legally. Some use to have cash only auctions (unofficial). Some used to destroy them to ensure they don't get in trouble from the tax office.

These days many groups like Grays realise there is a buck to be made out of it.
These days its a bit tough as guys like you know you can get good stuff for very cheap on the ex-lease market. I still do it with Laptops I sell about 5-10 per year making $50-100 per unit. I call it my beer money fund Smiley

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #28 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 8:49am

Bobby. wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 6:40pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 7:31am:

It just depends on what you're doing with your computer.
At the moment I'm just browsing and I'm using 3.5 GByte.

Right at this moment, my computer is oscillating between 15% CPU and 100% CPU. The memory seems steady at 97%. Is that okay?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #29 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 4:09pm

Upgraded to 12Gig of RAM. The difference in price between another 4Gig and 8Gig was $40. So, I paid the $140 to have an 8Gig put in. Took it home to fire it up. The computer seemed to work a little faster. But my mouse was not displaying. Took me an hour to figure that I needed to change mouse to the older one I had. Works now. I guess my newer wireless mouse just was not up to scrap.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print