Send Topic Print
Australian Open 2018 (Read 2889 times)
Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Australian Open 2018
Jan 20th, 2018 at 12:28pm

My old mate Rafeal Nadal at number 1 again- no one can count this man out-  he is a beast- he is playing through the opening rounds and on par to give this a red hot go- the terrible heat of the last few days has been gruelling and hopefully the weather holds off for the remainder- click on pic to resize

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/01/19/21/11/rafael-nadal-continues-perfect-open-st...

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Australian Open 2018
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 12:40pm

Agnes wrote on Jan 20th, 2018 at 12:28pm:
My old mate Rafeal Nadal at number 1 again- no one can count this man out-  he is a beast- he is playing through the opening rounds and on par to give this a red hot go- the terrible heat of the last few days has been gruelling and hopefully the weather holds off for the remainder-

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/01/19/21/11/rafael-nadal-continues-perfect-open-st...

My favorite tennis player EVER.......given the heat, I didn't attend the AO yesterday and was mighty happy to see the cool change arrived before his evening match.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 12:52pm

Alinta wrote on Jan 20th, 2018 at 12:40pm:
Agnes wrote on Jan 20th, 2018 at 12:28pm:
My old mate Rafeal Nadal at number 1 again- no one can count this man out-  he is a beast- he is playing through the opening rounds and on par to give this a red hot go- the terrible heat of the last few days has been gruelling and hopefully the weather holds off for the remainder-

My favorite tennis player EVER.......given the heat, I didn't attend the AO yesterday and was mighty happy to see the cool change arrived before his evening match.

I saw his debut match when he was age 17 Alinta- I could see then he was destined for great things- so much talent and fire- then to see him suffer with so much injury which robbed of a few crucial  wins- meaning he would have had a couple more slams under his belt at least by now - he would be equal to Fed at least now if not for his injuries- I must admit I took my eye off the ball for a bit as he slipped further down the rankings thinking injury has ruined his career and nOW to see him back at number 1- yes was shocked- he is all grit guts and heart this guy ! Rafeal is my all time fave too- I dont live anywhere near Melbourne so will most likely never see him play in person - if he is back next year I might try to get there-
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2018 at 9:58pm by Agnes »  

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 1:07pm

"I dont live anywhere near Melbourne so will most likely never see him play in person - if he is back next year I might try to get there-"

Well worth the effort if you get the chance.

Have seen him play many times and by sheer luck, I was gifted a ticket to a close to court seat for the 2009 AO final.

For me, unforgettable....of the sporting kind, absolutely the best night in my life.

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 5:44pm

I know it is not very patriotic of me but I was secretly rooting for Tsonga in his match with Kyrgios last night.

Tsonga seems to be a really nice, calm and gentle person.

Tough match it was too.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 9:47pm

Alinta wrote on Jan 20th, 2018 at 1:07pm:
"I dont live anywhere near Melbourne so will most likely never see him play in person - if he is back next year I might try to get there-"

Well worth the effort if you get the chance.

Have seen him play many times and by sheer luck, I was gifted a ticket to a close to court seat for the 2009 AO final.

For me, unforgettable....of the sporting kind, absolutely the best night in my life.

I saw that match it was amazing- so gruelling and amazingingly brilliant shots played one after the other - I have it on DVD- Rafa and Fed a wonderful match which will go down in Tennis history- Rafa forehand shot down the line is unrivalled and as a leftie who is natural right hander- he certainly has the edge over most on the circuit and it is his secret weapon !
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2018 at 9:59pm by Agnes »  

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 9:49pm

Black Orchid wrote on Jan 20th, 2018 at 5:44pm:
I know it is not very patriotic of me but I was secretly rooting for Tsonga in his match with Kyrgios last night.

Tsonga seems to be a really nice, calm and gentle person.

Tough match it was too.

Tsonga is a great player has been in the top 10 for years now- always good to see him in the line up each year and can be pretty intense

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 1:42am

They really should have had airconditioning full blast and a roof over the stadium, just to make it somewhat cooler. Even a stadium that large with spectators can be cooled with large airconditioners whilst the roof shades the place

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 2:17am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 21st, 2018 at 1:42am:
They really should have had airconditioning full blast and a roof over the stadium, just to make it somewhat cooler. Even a stadium that large with spectators can be cooled with large airconditioners whilst the roof shades the place

Its part of the Australian Open, survival of the fittest, no shades and no A/C.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 3:58am

Johnnie wrote on Jan 21st, 2018 at 2:17am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 21st, 2018 at 1:42am:

Its part of the Australian Open, survival of the fittest, no shades and no A/C.

Is it against the rules to allow for airconditioning and/or shade?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 9:18am

Working construction - I've been on sites where they allow work to stop when something like 45C starts to belt down.
Other sites keep them working and some 'drop' from heat exhaustion ...not a good thing as when the core Temp starts crackling over 38-39C, brain damage can occur. Heat-stroke.
Many Farmers and other jobs incorporate 'siesta' - where they work a split day of early morning starts and late evening finishes. A very long break in the middle.

I gave up Construction a month back. Got sick of being a sausage in a micro-wave out in the heat, where not only did I work at a snail's pace so I didn't over-heat, but I would just over-heat standing there anyway. Nothing to do with dehydration. I was well 'watered'. But my core temp just continued to rise. I began to shake, started feeling distressed...   
...threw my shovel down and said "Enough!"

Poor Policies for such 40C+ conditions on worksites that involve 'physical labour' out 'in the sun' really does hamstring the Labour industry of enough workers.

It's not about being 'tough', unless you are really an 'idiot'.
Unless you want to be like a punch-drunk ex boxer down the line from all the brain-damage you received from working through those extreme conditions.
Like an idiot who goes and gets frostbitten from being a tough guy in a blizzard (for no real justified reason).
Like an idiot who ascends too quickly up a mountain,
like an idiot who ascends too quickly up from a deep depth of water.

So why these Tennis Players, let alone the crowd - basically the Admin of the Tournament...
...kept pushing through the ridiculous 'heat' (40c+ = HOT) conditions?  Roll Eyes
Do they play in 'rain'?
Why not? They should HTFU!  Tongue

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 9:40pm

It's like cars, the more gadgets you have, the more there is to go wrong.

Nadal and his muscles is the same.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 9:56pm

Come on Rafa....either surrender or stop the oh so obvious and ever so sudden limp!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 9:59pm

Gee whiz!  Suddenly, he can run again!

Hang on....he just lost a point and the limp is back!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 10:03pm

And he surrenders.  Well played Cilic!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print