Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24
Send Topic Print
Australia Day solution (Read 14151 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: Australia Day solution
Reply #60 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 9:36pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:08pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 4:47pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 4:41pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 4:36pm:
We did not start celebrating 26 January as "Australia Day" as a national holiday until 1935.

1994 was when we started to consistently celebrate on the day.

Personally, I have no problems with people wanting to celebrate Invasion Day - as long as we also get a day to celebrate Resistance Day.   A day where we recognise Indigenous peoples' resistance to white colonial rule.   Sure, it wasn't successful but it did happen.   Roll Eyes

Why would white Australian's embrace changing the date when terms like "invasion day" keep getting tossed about? It makes white people look like a virus or something. Very derogatory indeed.

Hammer, it is an accurate interpretation of what occurred.  Whites invaded Australia and took it from it's original owners.   Roll Eyes

And aborigines invaded Australia from India. So?

Except they didn't take it from anybody.  There was no humans here before their arrival on these shores - unlike the British...    Roll Eyes

I am unsure why you don't like it being described as what it was - an invasion, Hammer.   A highly successful one, it has to be admitted but it was still an invasion.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #61 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 9:38pm

cods wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:10pm:
We did not start celebrating 26 January as "Australia Day" as a national holiday until 1935.

Personally, I have no problems with people wanting to celebrate Invasion Day - as long as we also get a day to celebrate Resistance Day.   A day where we recognise Indigenous peoples' resistance to white colonial rule.   Sure, it wasn't successful but it did happen.   Roll Eyes

Why would white Australian's embrace changing the date when terms like "invasion day" keep getting tossed about? It makes white people look like a virus or something. Very derogatory indeed.

Hammer, it is an accurate interpretation of what occurred.  Whites invaded Australia and took it from it's original owners.   Roll Eyes

and you do not class yourself as a BIGOT..

seriously you need to look it up...

no one took anything least of all land....

the same land is still there when Cook stepped off the Endeavor ... we now have a system  when we can lease the land and live on it or grow something on it  for many years.... if we leave the country we leave the land behind....I could of course dismantle the house and take it with me... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes..

but the land.. will never go anywhere....

I am sure through most of history not just Australian if we could all go back and do it again   a lot of things would be done differently...

isnt that what we have hindesite for...

some of us find it better to forgive  if they ever wish to move forward  and make life better for future generations...

then again we have those who wish to to permanently disable a certain group of people by cementing them in the past... forgetting to mention nothing will ever change the past....no amount of bitching and whining and complaining or money or sorry speeches or date changing... ..

nothing will ever change the day of the landing...

you want to keep our aboriginal chums disabled dont you.. brain?....its a kind of control thing I guess   Angry

Errr, Cods, you do know what Australia Day celebrates, don't you?  Nothing to do with Captain Cook.  Absolutely nothing.   Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes

As far as my Indigenous friends are concerned, they aren't disabled nor have they ever been disabled, Cods.  Your attitude betrays so much about your attitude towards them, it really does.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #62 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 9:41pm

Fuzzball wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:21pm:
The Endeavour was on a voyage of discovery NOT invasion. Brian, you're an idiot...........Australia Day is to celebrate the discovery of Australia..........

All white inhabitants should go back to their roots.........and see how long it takes the boongs to turn this place into a shithole........as somebody said recently with very much more of a brain than you have Brian..........

I'm not sure what they say in your history books but in the history books I own and have studied, Australia Day has absolutely nothing to do with the voyage of the HMS Endeavour or the "discovery" (by the British) of Australia.  Perhaps you need to learn something about your nation's history?   Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #63 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 9:46pm

Gnads wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 6:01pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:55pm:
The Endeavour was on a voyage of discovery NOT invasion. Brian, you're an idiot...........Australia Day is to celebrate the discovery of Australia..........

All white inhabitants should go back to their roots.........and see how long it takes the boongs to turn this place into a shithole........as somebody said recently with very much more of a brain than you have Brian..........

Why celebrate it on January 26, then?

That's not the day Australia was discovered.

It was the arrival of the first Fleet.

The establishment of the colony & the start of the nation.

Yet it was originally only NSW which celebrated that day until 1935.   Before that year, each individual state had their own "Australia Day".   Funny that...    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #64 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 9:48pm

Gnads wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 6:11pm:
Aussie wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 6:04pm:
Gnads wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 6:01pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:55pm:

Why celebrate it on January 26, then?

That's not the day Australia was discovered.

It was the arrival of the first Fleet.

The establishment of the colony & the start of the nation.

What was to become the Colony of New South Wales, the only State which celebrated the day for more than a century.

So?

From little things big things grow.  Grin

It's so bad now that our coloured cousins even claim the Lake Mungo remains as Aboriginals ....when according to archaeologists they pre-date Aboriginal  occupation.

And what date was that, Gnads?

The Mungo Remains are the ancestors of today's Indigenous Australians.   They have more right to claim them than the white archaeologists who dug them up.   Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #65 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 9:48pm

Australia Day is about White people.

Abbos can organise their own day

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #66 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 9:50pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 7:01pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 6:57pm:
Ken Wyatt has a workable solution I could accept....Something we could work towards as a united Australia???

Quote:
Becoming a republic could solve Australia Day dispute, frontbencher Ken Wyatt says

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-18/becoming-republic-could-solve-australia-da...

Huh Huh Huh

Didn't the country vote on this republic rubbish?

It voted down an unpopular model, Hammer.   If a popular model had been presented, we'd be a Republic today.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:10pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 9:36pm:

Except they didn't take it from anybody.  There was no humans here before their arrival on these shores - unlike the British...    Roll Eyes

I am unsure why you don't like it being described as what it was - an invasion, Hammer.   A highly successful one, it has to be admitted but it was still an invasion.    Roll Eyes

Not from my perspective. It was great for my people and ancestors. I love the white settlement of Australia. It's great being a white man in this great country. It's not just great, it's fa rking ace!

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #68 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:13pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:10pm:

Not from my perspective. It was great for my people and ancestors. I love the white settlement of Australia. It's great being a white man in this great country. It's not just great, it's fa rking ace!

And no concern for the predecessors of the White colonists, hey?  None at all.  Tsk, tsk.   I wonder how you'd react if the Chinese one day turned up and rowed ashore and took over the place?  Mmmm?     Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:16pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 9:50pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 7:01pm:
Ken Wyatt has a workable solution I could accept....Something we could work towards as a united Australia???

Quote:
Becoming a republic could solve Australia Day dispute, frontbencher Ken Wyatt says

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-18/becoming-republic-could-solve-australia-da...

Huh Huh Huh

Didn't the country vote on this republic rubbish?

It voted down an unpopular model, Hammer.   If a popular model had been presented, we'd be a Republic today.    Roll Eyes

What rubbish.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #70 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:17pm

Quote:

Huh Huh Huh

it is muslims who are not 'unified' .

remove them

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:25pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:13pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:10pm:

And no concern for the predecessors of the White colonists, hey?  None at all.  Tsk, tsk.   I wonder how you'd react if the Chinese one day turned up and rowed ashore and took over the place?  Mmmm?     Roll Eyes

Nope. I only have respect for Australia's builders and pioneers. If the Chinese came here I'd die fighting.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:25pm

Cheesy

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #73 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:31pm

That is actually quite smart.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #74 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:53pm

The population of aborigines was estimated to be about 750,000 prior to the 1788 landing. If you could imagine 24,000,000 Australians leaving Australia for elsewhere for a week, you could probably expect that 1 million remainders would not make that much noise being spread around the remaining towns and cities. I can't imagine a great deal of noise coming from 200,000 Sydneysiders. They may not make much of an appearance to a foreign invasion who inhabit the beachheads and near surrounds of Sydney.

So, to call it an invasion is as ridiculous as calling a starving beggar an invader for raiding a fruit store and drinking bottled water to ward off death by starvation and dehydration. Because that basically was the epitome of what happened 230 years ago. It was more about establishing a penal colony that you could probably say was going to be points along the eastern seaboard, for the sake of being an outpost and making a resupply base for those journeys between Britain and Asia.

An case for calling it an "invasion" would have been made when the transportation to Australia was not seen as a death sentence, but something liberating. Say, 1830 onwards would have been a time when Australia became the land of opportunity. For the aborigines, that is when you can start calling it an "invasion".

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24
Send Topic Print