Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 24
Send Topic Print
Australia Day solution (Read 14152 times)
The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Australia Day solution
Jan 19th, 2018 at 3:21pm

Why don't we just go back to having the Australia Day holiday on the last Monday of January every year. It would satisfy everyone.

- The conservatives would be happy because it would be a return to the traditional day that was celebrated before 1995

- The patriots would be happy because every few years they would still get to celebrate it on the 26th

- The social warriors would be happy because we would no longer be officially celebrating the 26th January

- The rest of us would be happy because we get a long weekend every year

Problem solved

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Australia Day solution
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 3:23pm

Hang ten objectors a day until the rest get the message......

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 4:36pm

We did not start celebrating 26 January as "Australia Day" as a national holiday until 1935.

1994 was when we started to consistently celebrate on the day.

Personally, I have no problems with people wanting to celebrate Invasion Day - as long as we also get a day to celebrate Resistance Day.   A day where we recognise Indigenous peoples' resistance to white colonial rule.   Sure, it wasn't successful but it did happen.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 4:41pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 4:36pm:
We did not start celebrating 26 January as "Australia Day" as a national holiday until 1935.

Personally, I have no problems with people wanting to celebrate Invasion Day - as long as we also get a day to celebrate Resistance Day.   A day where we recognise Indigenous peoples' resistance to white colonial rule.   Sure, it wasn't successful but it did happen.   Roll Eyes

Why would white Australian's embrace changing the date when terms like "invasion day" keep getting tossed about? It makes white people look like a virus or something. Very derogatory indeed.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 4:47pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 4:41pm:

Why would white Australian's embrace changing the date when terms like "invasion day" keep getting tossed about? It makes white people look like a virus or something. Very derogatory indeed.

Hammer, it is an accurate interpretation of what occurred.  Whites invaded Australia and took it from it's original owners.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 4:49pm

How about this, Brian.
Leave it as it is but change the way do it.

Use the first half of the day, all the official stuff to reflect on the history behind us, the good bad and ugly.

The second half of the day is to celebrate what we have today,  what we're working towards tomorrow and all have a beer and some lamb together.

The date is meaningless compared to what happens ON that day

IBI

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:08pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 4:47pm:

Hammer, it is an accurate interpretation of what occurred.  Whites invaded Australia and took it from it's original owners.   Roll Eyes

And aborigines invaded Australia from India. So?

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:10pm

and you do not class yourself as a BIGOT..

seriously you need to look it up...

no one took anything least of all land....

the same land is still there when Cook stepped off the Endeavor ... we now have a system  when we can lease the land and live on it or grow something on it  for many years.... if we leave the country we leave the land behind....I could of course dismantle the house and take it with me... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes..

but the land.. will never go anywhere....

I am sure through most of history not just Australian if we could all go back and do it again   a lot of things would be done differently...

isnt that what we have hindesite for...

some of us find it better to forgive  if they ever wish to move forward  and make life better for future generations...

then again we have those who wish to to permanently disable a certain group of people by cementing them in the past... forgetting to mention nothing will ever change the past....no amount of bitching and whining and complaining or money or sorry speeches or date changing... ..

nothing will ever change the day of the landing...

you want to keep our aboriginal chums disabled dont you.. brain?....its a kind of control thing I guess   Angry

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:10pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:08pm:

The difference being that Aboriginals do not celebrate the day they did at all, let alone in the face of those they invaded.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:12pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:10pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:08pm:

The difference being that Aboriginals do not celebrate the day they did at all, let alone in the face of those they invaded.

No, many aborigines believe they originate from here. It's rubbish. From my perspective being a white man I'm very proud of my ancestors coming here. Why would I not? I'm not a self hater.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:14pm

so its gets changed to the 27th...

what then?   there will always be another bitch...

what happened to their copies of the sorry speech???>.

do they still have it enshrined somewhere... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

it was meant to be a fix all wasnt it???

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #11 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:21pm

The Endeavour was on a voyage of discovery NOT invasion. Brian, you're an idiot...........Australia Day is to celebrate the discovery of Australia..........

All white inhabitants should go back to their roots.........and see how long it takes the boongs to turn this place into a shithole........as somebody said recently with very much more of a brain than you have Brian..........

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:22pm

No it's not bwian no more than the INVASION of the Aboriginals across the landbridge.
YOU know that bwian why be a total disingenuous wanker?

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:33pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 3:21pm:
Why don't we just go back to having the Australia Day holiday on the last Monday of January every year. It would satisfy everyone.

- The conservatives would be happy because it would be a return to the traditional day that was celebrated before 1995

- The patriots would be happy because every few years they would still get to celebrate it on the 26th

- The social warriors would be happy because we would no longer be officially celebrating the 26th January

- The rest of us would be happy because we get a long weekend every year

Problem solved

This sounds like the perfect solution.
Australia Day needs to be celebrated by way of a long weekend to allow for digestion of lamb chops and hangovers.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:38pm

Fuzzball wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:21pm:
The Endeavour was on a voyage of discovery NOT invasion. Brian, you're an idiot...........Australia Day is to celebrate the discovery of Australia..........

All white inhabitants should go back to their roots.........and see how long it takes the boongs to turn this place into a shithole........as somebody said recently with very much more of a brain than you have Brian..........

Huh?

Quote:
Navigator and astronomer Captain James Cook claimed the whole of the east coast of Australia for Great Britain on 22 August 1770, naming eastern Australia 'New South Wales'.

You are part of the majority of Australian who doe not have a clue about what happened on the 26th January some two centuries ago.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 24
Send Topic Print