Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Community Outrage At Coal Mine Given Green Light (Read 365 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Community Outrage At Coal Mine Given Green Light
Jan 18th, 2018 at 6:11am

Community outrage as Central Coast coal mine given greenlight   

17 January 2018
Brisbane Times

Community groups have criticised the NSW government’s approval of the Wallarah 2 coal mine on the state’s Central Coast.

The mine has been in limbo for more than a decade since a mining application was first lodged in 2006. The then Minister for Planning rejected the application in 2011 due to issues relating to  impacts on drinking water.

The $800 million thermal coal mine has stalled a number of times following these early rejections, including when negotiations broke down between its owner, Korean government-owned Kores, and the local Darkinjung Aboriginal Land Council over a $300 million land agreement for rail access.

The miner overcame this issue by using an overland conveyor system, rather than a rail system, to transport the coal, bypassing the need to negotiate with local indigenous groups.

Following a series of new applications and operational amendments, the NSW Planning Assessment Commission has given its approval for the mine.   Sad

The commission acknowledged the potential impact the mine may have on the Central Coast's drinking water catchment, assessing them as “small and acceptable” to the region.

Australian Coal Alliance campaign director Alan Hayes said this approval puts the drinking water of more than 300,000 people at risk.   Shocked

“The Wallarah 2 Coal Project is completely unacceptable and completely unwanted, and its approval is a slap in the face for local people who have been fighting it off for over 20 years,” Mr Hayes said.

“The state government is more interested in appeasing the coal industry than in the welfare of the Central Coast community. It's sickening.”   Sad

He said the group will continue to fight the mine’s approvals.

“If Wallarah 2 believes that they have beaten us, they are mistaken. We will not go away.”

Lock the Gate spokesperson Steve Phillips said the approval demonstrates a broken system.

“This is a risky, unwanted coal mine that threatens the safe drinking water supply for hundreds of thousands of people,” Mr Phillips.   Sad

“The mine has been knocked back by a previous state government for those very reasons. How is it possible that the mine is now approved? The system is broken.”

Former NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell famously stated that a Coalition government would never approve the mine due to its reported impacts on the region’s drinking water, and was even photographed wearing t-shirts protesting the mine. However, his government soon approved the project, and faced claims they misled parliament and breached the code of conduct over meetings with lobbyists for the mine.

Premier Barry O'Farrell in 2011 with (from left) Chris Holstein (Member for Gosford), Darren Webber (Member for Wyong), Barry O'Farrell (Premier), Alan Hayes (Australian Coal Alliance), Chris Spence (Member for The Entrance) & Chris Hartcher (Member for Terrigal & Minister for Energy) wearing shirts protesting the mine. His government later approved the project.

"The Coalition came to power promising to end mining in sensitive drinking water catchments. They promised to stop this very coal mine – Wallarah 2 – but now they’ve given the green light,” Mr Phillips said.   Sad

The Central Coast Council, and local member for the Dobell region Emma McBride, were unavailable for comment at the time of publishing.

Wallarah 2, the operators of the mine, declined to comment on the latest approvals.

The mine plans to operate for up to 28 years, extracting around 5 million tonnes of thermal coal annually.

Water treated at the mine will be returned back into the drinking water catchment.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Community Outrage At Coal Mine Given Green Light
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 7:01am

Gee the gloom and doom BlackDay is pumping the GetUp! HATE Australia propaganda now.

IP Logged

salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:23am

whiteknight wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 6:11am:

17 January 2018
Brisbane Times

Make up your mind. What about your obsession regarding jobs, jobs, jobs.

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:43am

Community outrage

Its a bit hard to measure that, so I call bullshit.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 11:57am

juliar wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 7:01am:
Gee the gloom and doom BlackDay is pumping the GetUp! HATE Australia propaganda now.

shutup socko. go and play in the traffic and make yourself useful.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 12:01pm

salad in wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:23am:
whiteknight wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 6:11am:

17 January 2018
Brisbane Times

Make up your mind. What about your obsession regarding jobs, jobs, jobs.

well if it's jobs you want why don't we reopen up all of the asbestos mines ? I mean not everyone got lung cancer from working in an asbestos mine so by your logic the jury is still out on whether or not asbestos causes lung cancer. The price of fish on Mars may cause lung cancer as well. Right ?

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 6:59am

Gee the LostSnail seems to have fallen out of his tree.  Must be all that Greeny electric car dream stuff he's been swallowing.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 10:31am

juliar wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 6:59am:
Gee the LostSnail seems to have fallen out of his tree.  Must be all that Greeny electric car dream stuff he's been swallowing.

as opposed to the great fossil fool ripoff every time there is a public holiday Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print