Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
How unions rip off workers (Read 6818 times)
juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: How unions rip off workers
Reply #45 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:22am

Now how some TRUTH about the evil irrelevant redundant corrupt unions.

Sure the old unions achieved a lot. But they have been taken over by non working class elite who deprive their members.

The workers have deserted them to where they now represent only 10% of the workers in the private sector,

even these numbers are inflated as we have seen in the Royal Commission with phantom members being created .

Something very nasty is going on in what is left of the Unions.
David Flint in the Spectator

Union bosses have been stealing from some of the lowest paid workers.

In the ACT, it is reported that the building industry is run as a private fiefdom of the CFMEU.
In other cases union bosses have traded away wages and conditions,

with Bill Shorten receiving $40,000 from a labour hire company for his campaign to get into parliament. He declared it just before he was about to appear before the Heydon Royal Commission.
The commission has heard allegations of criminal activity including death threats. There have been arrests and references to various prosecutors.

In the meantime Labor has blocked both restoring the ABCC which had a superb record in cleaning up the building industry, and legislation to subject union bosses to the same rules which apply to company directors.

In fact as soon as they got into government in 2007, Labor fulfilled their promise to the union bosses to destroy the ABCC, just as they are in the process of attempting to destroy the Heydon Royal commission.

This is because Dyson Heydon didn’t give the Garfield Barwick lecture, unlike the several judicial lectures given to the Society of Labor Lawyers.

But even if Heydon stood down, a replacement would be found and the Royal Commission would continue.

The fact is that from Bill Shorten down, a large chunk of the Labor caucus were once – you guessed it – union bosses. Union bosses used to come from the shop floor.

Now they’re recruited from university Labor clubs and the many apparatchiks who work for Labor MPs. They have little in common with blue collar workers.

They are schooled in Machiavellian manipulation, their principal ambition being a safe seat with the rivers of gold from this and stream of subsequent jobs for the boys whenever they decide they need to be more with their families, as well as collecting their golden handshakes. No wonder they are so keen to protect these rackets.

https://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/the_meeting_place/post/something-very-nasty-g...

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:33am

Yesterday fright that never happened.

The corrupt unions control every aspect of the Labor Party and Bull S. is just a union puppet.

Why is Shorten's Labor running a protection racket for this union?
Andrew Bolt, Herald Sun August 25, 2015 6:22am

No wonder Labor and the CFMEU are trying to destroy Dyson Heydon and close down his royal commission:

Police in three states are investigating the most senior leaders of the CFMEU for allegations ranging from receiving secret commissions to blackmail as a result of evidence gathered by investigators working alongside the Royal Commission into Trade Union Governance and Corruption.

A Fairfax Media investigation can reveal the CFMEU's national president and Labor factional boss Dave Hanna has quit the union as a major criminal investigation examines allegations that he took secret commissions.

Hanna, who until his resignation this month was also the CFMEU's Queensland president and was previously a state ALP vice-president, is the subject of a joint state and federal police inquiry into allegations concerning kickbacks and the operations of a union fund...

A Victoria Police taskforce, Heracles?, has recently taken witness statements from multiple construction industry figures as detectives attempt to charge Victorian CFMEU secretary John Setka and his deputy, Shaun Reardon, with blackmail in connection to the union's campaign against concrete firm Boral.

Police witnesses have been advised by detectives that a criminal brief against Mr Setka and Mr Reardon has been completed and that police are waiting to receive legal advice before laying charges.

The CFMEU's NSW secretary Brian Parker is also being investigated by police after phone taps were recently aired at the union royal commission, which revealed his close relationship with organised crime figure, and allegedly crooked labour hire firm boss, George Alex.

The police investigations are now effectively targeting the CFMEU's most powerful figures across three states and, if they result in charges and convictions, could be fatal to the union's hope of avoiding being deregistered or placed into administration...

In a statement to Fairfax Media, Mr Hanna said he had taken "no benefits" and was involved in "no mismanagement" of any union fund. He claims to have stepped down from the union due to health reasons arising from a motorcycle accident.

Labor, in smearing Dyson Heydon and blocking the reinstatement of the watchdog Australian Building and Construction Commission, is effectively running a protection racket for the CFMEU. And if the polls are right, this protection racket will next year be your government.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andrew-bolt/why-is-shortens-labor-running-a-pr...

It just wouldn't be Labor if it wasn't corrupt

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:37am

"Coal workers went on strike in 1949 over a 35 hour week and Long service leave. Long service leave was finally introduced in New South Wales in 1951. Unions in other states followed."

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:41am

The Gecko Troll is STILL quoting from the unions' Communist Manifesto.

https://www.australianunions.org.au/union_achievements

DANGER!!!! Massive militant union proposed to reduce Australia to dust!!!!!

MASSIVE MEMBER VOTE SUPERCHARGES UNION AMALGAMATION
PUBLISHED: 29 NOV 2017

The formation of a new super union has been turbocharged by a massive vote by members of the Maritime Union of Australia and the Textile Clothing and Footwear Union of Australia in favour of amalgamating with the Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union.

Scrutineers for the unions report a massive yes vote in both ballots.

The number of members who participated in the ballot were at historically high levels and the level of the yes vote was unprecedented.

In the case of the MUA, the vote was 87 per cent “YES”, with one in every two members voting. This is higher thannpast internal MUA union elections of officers.

In the case of the TCFUA, the vote was 97 per cent “YES”, with over 64 per cent of members casting a vote.

TCFUA National Secretary Michele O’Neil said: “The overwhelming yes vote is a great, strong, clear outcome of this ballot. Our members come from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, for many English is not their first language, and yet they turned out in numbers and left us in no doubt as to their views.

“This vote is clear and unequivocal and the Federal Government should now butt out of trying to overturn the democratic decision of our members about the future of our union. TCFUA members have voted to be part of a new, smart, strong, progressive force in the Australian trade union movement.”

Both unions conducted hundreds of workplace meetings across the eight week voting period. In many instances informational material relating to the ballot was provided in multiple languages.

MUA National Secretary Paddy Crumlin said: “This is at the core of trade union and labour rights — individual member exercising their democratic decision making and democratic control of their union. Our members have spoken: they want a strong, independent and progressive union.

“This vote sets a new course for the amalgamated Union. It makes us more diverse and representative in so many ways. It increases the number of women in our union, it make us more culturally diverse, it expands the industries in which we work on a day to day basis and it opens us up to new challenges and new opportunities. It ensures that we will continue to reflect the great trade union and national heritage of building diversity along with economic, industrial, political, and social needs of working women and men in their Australian community.”

CFMEU National Secretary Michael O’Connor said: “This vote sends a clear message to the Turnbull government to respect not undermine the democratic decisions of union members in the running of their unions.

“It’s a total repudiation of suggestions by the government that this was not in those members’ interests. Those members have spoken unequivocally and with overwhelming determination on where their interests reside.”

https://www.cfmeu.org.au/news/massive-member-vote-supercharges-union-amalgamatio...
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:47am by juliar »  

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 9:03am

The more you learn about the depth of corruption infecting every dark smelly corner of the unions which control every aspect of the equally corrupt Labor Party the more obnoxious it all becomes.

Union and Labor Party links test GetUp! ‘independence’
BRAD NORINGTON Associate Editor The Australian12:00AM August 12, 2017

Labor leader Bill Shorten with candidate Susan Templeton (far right) and members of GetUp! in 2016.

Bill Shorten’s afterparty on election night in November 2007 started at the Maribyrnong Park Bowls Club in Melbourne’s northwest.

It was high spirits all around: celebrating victory for Labor, led by Kevin Rudd, and for Shorten as a first-time local MP.

A Nine Network reporter on the spot introduced the new Labor member for Maribyrnong to Ray Martin, back in the tally room, as a rising star. “He’s even been touted by some as a future prime minister,” he said.

Soon after 10.30pm, the rising star made his farewells to the gathering in Moonee Ponds and took a car to the city.

Now at the Imperial Hotel, a mecca for political junkies at the top of Bourke Street, the party really got started. “Hey, stick around,” Shorten told a few tired campaigners. “We’ve got a crowd from GetUp! coming.”

Read the rest of this exposure of massive corruption riddling the unions and their Labor Party.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/inquirer/union-and-labor-party-links-test-g...

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 9:14am

"The Arbitration Commission introduced the first Termination, Change and Redundancy Clause into awards due to work by metalworkers and their union.

"This entitled workers to redundancy pay."

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #51 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 10:19am

Dnarever wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 7:22pm:
bogarde73 wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 7:32am:
GMod, are members allowed to cross out other people's posts?
Surely this is a suspension offence.

While I don't like it myself nobody has struck out anyone elses posts. All the original posts are intact I would hope.

He is merely editing his copy of the others post. As I said I don't like it but really what difference does it make.

Well I'm glad you don't like it and I assume that means you wouldn't do it yourself.
But don't excuse him just because he's on your side of politics.
The fact is it's an act which shows a disposition towards shutting down someone's point of view, not just criticising or pouring scorn on it. It's a psychological trait indicating a wish to impose censorship.
He's lucky I'm not a Mod because I'd ban him for it.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 10:27am

bogarde73 wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 10:19am:
Dnarever wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 7:22pm:
bogarde73 wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 7:32am:
GMod, are members allowed to cross out other people's posts?
Surely this is a suspension offence.

While I don't like it myself nobody has struck out anyone elses posts. All the original posts are intact I would hope.

He is merely editing his copy of the others post. As I said I don't like it but really what difference does it make.

Well I'm glad you don't like it and I assume that means you wouldn't do it yourself.
But don't excuse him just because he's on your side of politics.
The fact is it's an act which shows a disposition towards shutting down someone's point of view, not just criticising or pouring scorn on it. It's a psychological trait indicating a wish to impose censorship.

He's lucky I'm not a Mod because I'd ban him for it.

Once again, I was specifically instructed by the MODS to use the strikeout method.

What part of this don't you understand?

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #53 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 10:55am

Oh I understand it. I see the putrescence that underlies it.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 10:58am

bogarde73 wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 10:55am:

It seems you don't understand it, actually.

1. There's nothing in the rules that forbids it

2. I was specifically instructed by a Mod to use that method

So, why on Earth would it warrant a ban?

You're just not making any sense here.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 11:02am

bogarde73 wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 10:55am:

Not putrescence.

Clarity.

It clearly shows which part of a post I'm replying to.

If I were to remove the parts I'm not interested in, what's left could be taken out of context.

By leaving all of the text intact, and ruling a thin line through the irrelevant parts, everybody can still see the context in which the phrase I'm focusing on was made.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:57pm

Geesz the gecko troll is trying to explain why he uses his downright dumb and silly Copy and Xing out Lefty drongo act.

He uses it because he thinks it is a slap in the face for the previous poster and he thinks such shock tactics will get him the attention he so urgently seeks to ease his feelings of rejection and dejection and worthlessness.

Standard troll stuff which most trolls suffer from and which explains their obnoxious behavior.

But like anything that is used over and over again it loses its effectiveness and simply reflects poorly on the offender.

NOW gecko troll you are to Copy all this and do your dumb silly childish Xing out thingo which excites your feeble ???? so much.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 9:01pm

juliar wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:57pm:
Geesz the gecko troll is trying to explain why he uses his downright dumb and silly Copy and Xing out Lefty drongo act.

He uses it because he thinks it is a slap in the face for the previous poster and he thinks such shock tactics will get him the attention he so urgently seeks to ease his feelings of rejection and dejection and worthlessness.

Standard troll stuff which most trolls suffer from and which explains their obnoxious behavior.

But like anything that is used over and over again it loses its effectiveness and simply reflects poorly on the offender.

NOW gecko troll you are to Copy all this and do your dumb silly childish Xing out thingo which excites your feeble ???? so much.

"Before sick leave, you turned up to work if you were sick, or you went without pay. Sick leave provisions began to appear in awards in the 1920’s and unions have campaigned hard for better sick leave conditions over the years, across all industries."

Smiley

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 9:12pm

It is good to see the gecko troll is doing what he is told. And he is STILL dribbling from the unions' Communist Manifesto!!!

But leaving the gecko troll to his childish silly simpleton antics and back to the topic which the gecko troll obviously does not understand at all.

Now the most fearsome thuggish union of all - the CFMEU!!!!!

10 Things You Should Know About The CFMEU, The Union At The Centre Of Corruption Allegations
CHRIS PASH, SIMON THOMSEN  JAN 28, 2014, 2:25 PM

Grocon rally in 2013. Photo: Getty

Threats and intimidation are widespread in the building industry and making and receiving “inappropriate payments” common, according to the last Royal Commission that investigated the sector.

That was 10 years ago in an investigation then called a “witch hunt” by the CFMEU, the union at the center of allegations of connections to crime figures.

Viewed from the background of an overall decline in union membership in Australia, the CFMEU is a force in the Australian labour movement.

It claims 110,000 members. Compare that to the estimated 1.1 million who are members of a trade union for their main job in the private sector, according to Australian Bureau of Statistics numbers.

Here are 10 things you should know about it, now that it’s back in the news and likely to stay there for some time.

Each year the union raises about $20 million in membership fees. Ten years ago the CFMEU had net assets of $71.2 million. By the end of 20102 this had fallen to just under $52 million.

The union was formed in the 1990s when there was a push to rationalise the number of unions.

The CFMEU is made up of three divisions: Construction and General Division, the Mining and Energy Division and the Forestry and Furnishing Products Division.

Former CFMEU national secretary John Maitland was branded “corrupt” by the NSW Independent Commission Against Corruption following an investigation in 2013 into Hunter Valley mining deals involving the former state government minister Ian Macdonald.

Maitland made $15 million from the granting of mining licenses without tender, but the deals were torn up by the O’Farrell Government a few weeks ago.

Joe McDonald, from the CFMEU’s Western Australia branch, has cost the union more than $1 million in fines over the last 8 years. In December 2013, McDonald and the CFMEU were fined $193,600 over an incident in February at a mining site in the Pilbara region.

In 2007 McDonald was expelled from the ALP over video footage of him abusing someone who asked him to leave a work site.

The union was fined $115,000 in May 2013 after the Fair Work Building Inspectorate took them to the Federal Court over illegal work bans to get a sacked NSW union delegate reinstated.

A number of legal actions instigated against the CFMEU by the federal Government’s Fair Work Building and Construction continue to make their way through the courts.

Private property developer Grocon is suing the CFMEU for $10.5 million in damages over blockades at four construction sites.

The Supreme Court of Victoria last year found the CFMEU was in contempt of court over pickets blockading Grocon’s $250 million Myer Emporium site, where police and protestors clashed in August 2012, as well as its McNab Avenue site in Footscray.

When building firm St Hilliers made Warren Whitney redundant from a Gosford building site in 2011, the union imposed work stoppages on five St Hillier sites across the ACT and Victoria until Whitney was reinstated.

On March 30, 2001 the CFMEU was fined $200,000 for contempt of court, plus costs, for deliberately not complying with an order to stop industrial action at a BHP coal mine.

The Royal Commission into the Building and Construction Industry in 2003 said the CFMEU had contempt for the law and that there was a powerful case for cancelling the registration of the union. It stopped short of recommending de-registration, saying individuals were at fault.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/10-things-you-should-know-about-the-cfmeu-the...

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 9:14pm

"Unions in different industries have campaigned for allowances that pertain to their members. Many workers who are required to wear uniforms in their jobs, get an allowance for this rather than having to pay for uniforms themselves."

Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print