Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Missile threat Hawaii a false alarm. (Read 1255 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Missile threat Hawaii a false alarm.
Reply #45 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:49pm

Bobby. wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 2:42pm:
Fuzzball wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 2:37pm:
The title of this thread concerns a 'false alarm' from Hawaii about a missile attack............unless you know something the CIA and others don't know, I still think you were posting nonsense.....

Why?

The only large bomb they ever let off was between 100 Kt & 170 Kt in size.
It might have been an enhanced Uranium bomb & not an H bomb.

Have there been any tests of NK missiles where the missile didn't break up on re-entry?
Don't think so.

That means I'm right.

forgiven

namaste   
रति

The message said nothing about NK, or nuclear bombs.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #46 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 3:21am

Bobby. wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 8:24am:
Gee wizz - how come it took 38 minutes for a new message to say it was a false alarm?

It would take 10 minutes for a missile to get from North Korea to Hawaii, on a slow day. You would not have time to run to cover, had it been a real threat in play. Even if North Korea shot a missile towards my house and I got the message immediately, I would just stay put where I am, because I would know that there is nowhere I could go in the time it takes for the missile to get here.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #47 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 3:36am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:40am:
Fuzzball wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 8:25am:
Now this is LAUGHABLE...............how many poor bastards with bad hearts fell off the perch because an idiot made a "false alarm"........

The is NO escape from a nuclear bomb, so any alarm system is a total waste of time........

No mention of a nuclear bomb.

http://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/180113134649-hawaii-missile-alert-false-al...

What makes you think it matters whether they mention nuclear missile or not? The fact that a danger is present is enough for people to be warned. Calling it a missile is enough of a description. For if it were a real scenario, then you would not want people panicked to the point that they run each other down trying to find a shelter.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #48 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 3:47am

Fuzzball wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 1:18pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 10:56am:
longweekend58 wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 10:51am:
only peccahead could debate the pedantry of the situation.

If a warning comes of a ballistic missile in the current NK situation, the assumption would be that it was nuclear.
And yes, Nukes are survivable. it depends on where you are and what shelter you have.  Ballistic missiles typical have smaller nukes than those dropped from bombers although still in the 1-3MT range. Also the assumption is that the missile would hit its presumed target which is a lot harder than you think. Soviet ballstic missiles were so inaccurate that hitting the right country was a challenge, nevermind the right city or target.

it must have been spooky to get that message however.

Nobody's on your side, Fuzz.

"The is NO escape from a nuclear bomb, so any alarm system is a total waste of time........"

You're still an idiot peccahead.

You do realise that the nukes today are probably 40/50/100 times bigger than the Japanese bombs............

Hawaii, the big island would be vaporised, and the blast would probably take out the small islands as well............

Survival, wouldn't be an option.........

The Hawaiian Islands would be mainly safe for 95% of the region. Only about a 5km radius of the blast area would see fatalities. 5 - 10km would see people outside getting burned. Outside a 10km radius of ground zero, people would be generally okay. I think radiation levels harmful to people would stick around for up to a week. Though, people might be okay after 48 hours to come back.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 7:18am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 3:36am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:40am:
Fuzzball wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 8:25am:
Now this is LAUGHABLE...............how many poor bastards with bad hearts fell off the perch because an idiot made a "false alarm"........

The is NO escape from a nuclear bomb, so any alarm system is a total waste of time........

No mention of a nuclear bomb.

http://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/180113134649-hawaii-missile-alert-false-al...

What makes you think it matters whether they mention nuclear missile or not? The fact that a danger is present is enough for people to be warned. Calling it a missile is enough of a description. For if it were a real scenario, then you would not want people panicked to the point that they run each other down trying to find a shelter.

It matters because Fuzzball made this ridiculous comment:

"The is NO escape from a nuclear bomb, so any alarm system is a total waste of time........"

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #50 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:33pm

You don't know where a missile is going to land. It could land in the middle of the city. Or it could land on your house. A non-nuclear missile could land in a residential area and kill anyone within 50 - 100 metres of the target. Anyone who has done research on the devastating effects of the nuclear missiles would know that you are basically focked if you live within a few kilometres of the blast area. 10 minutes does not allow you much time to grab a few items, your family and drive out of the city. That includes a scenario where you are informed the second a missile is launched.

I can imagine what I would do under a nuclear attack on my town. I would grab my shoes and socks (not putting them on). I would get my mobile, wallet and glasses (1 minute). I would get into my car and drive out the driveway (1 minute) whether I lock the front door or not. I would drive at high speed through all red lights north to get as far away from the town as possible. I think I would make it to Parkhurst or onto the Yeppoon highway before the impact of nuclear missile. Then I would keep driving until I found a store where I could purchase (or receive freely) essential items.

The basic fact of the matter is the 8 minutes drive time would be ideally enough time for me to get away from the blast area, under optimal circumstances. You can get away. However, it is unlikely that a scenario would present itself where you get enough time to get away from a targeted area.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #51 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:41pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:33pm:
You don't know where a missile is going to land. It could land in the middle of the city. Or it could land on your house. A non-nuclear missile could land in a residential area and kill anyone within 50 - 100 metres of the target. Anyone who has done research on the devastating effects of the nuclear missiles would know that you are basically focked if you live within a few kilometres of the blast area. 10 minutes does not allow you much time to grab a few items, your family and drive out of the city. That includes a scenario where you are informed the second a missile is launched.

I can imagine what I would do under a nuclear attack on my town. I would grab my shoes and socks (not putting them on). I would get my mobile, wallet and glasses (1 minute). I would get into my car and drive out the driveway (1 minute) whether I lock the front door or not. I would drive at high speed through all red lights north to get as far away from the town as possible. I think I would make it to Parkhurst or onto the Yeppoon highway before the impact of nuclear missile. Then I would keep driving until I found a store where I could purchase (or receive freely) essential items.

The basic fact of the matter is the 8 minutes drive time would be ideally enough time for me to get away from the blast area, under optimal circumstances. You can get away. However, it is unlikely that a scenario would present itself where you get enough time to get away from a targeted area.

The worst place would be inside your car.
The EMP would stop the engine & the bright light
from the explosion would come though the windows -
it would burn and blind you.

The best place would be under your house.
If I lived in Hawaii I would make a dugout underneath my house
- preferably with reinforced concrete.

If it was an H-bomb within 20 km you would have no chance no matter what you did.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #52 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 11:24pm

An $80 million dollar nuclear missile would be difficult to get away from, no matter what you do. I could imagine a nuclear power giving some country an hour's notice before launch that they will nuke a city and where. That city would see mass casualties as people gridlock the streets and a few people who block the way as they give in and wait for the end.

I would never get out of town to avoid a H bomb. Even given half an hour's notice, I might get caught up in the traffic jams and could not get 20km away to safety. If the streets were clear, I could probably make it.

IP Logged

Richdude
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NC
Reply #53 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 1:39am

Bobby. wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:41pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:33pm:

The worst place would be inside your car.
The EMP would stop the engine & the bright light
from the explosion would come though the windows -
it would burn and blind you.

The best place would be under your house.
If I lived in Hawaii I would make a dugout underneath my house
- preferably with reinforced concrete.

If it was an H-bomb within 20 km you would have no chance no matter what you did.

If you live just out of town, you probably have a buried concrete sewer pit. Best to lever off the cover and jump in.

In this case its best to be in the poo than out.

The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print