Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
oh dem poor smokers... (Read 5209 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

oh dem poor smokers...
Jan 13th, 2018 at 9:46am

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/how-australias-strict-laws-have-made-...
As a smoker, I remember it well.

The lights dazzled on the dance floor, Rihanna raged over the sound system and I, gin and tonic in hand, hurriedly puffed away on what was to be my last cigarette in a club.

That was Oxford St in 2010 — the night before smoking was banned in all indoor pubs and clubs in NSW.

Little did any of us know it was just the beginning of the battle to get rid of cigarettes for good as, law by law and tax by tax, Australia adopted some of the most stringent smoking regulations in the world.

By today’s standards I feel a virtual pariah. Smoking is not just considered a dirty habit, but a danger to others.
That was the position cricketers Shaun Marsh and Jackson Bird found themselves in this week, dubbed bad role models for smoking in public while celebrating the Ashes series win against England.

The fact is smokers have nowhere to hide from the growing public reproof.

Best-selling author Nikki Gemmell has called smoking “a public declaration of stupidity” and described smokers as “relics of a bygone age”.

It’s true the war on smoking in this country is led by health concerns. And 15 years ago there were some 15,000 deaths a year attributed to smoking from illnesses such as heart disease, diabetes, stroke, cancer and respiratory conditions such as asthma, emphysema and bronchitis.

But — importantly — it’s not illegal. So are the increasingly draconian laws about where you can smoke, or even what can be published about smoking, justified?

Civil Liberties Australia’s Mark Jarratt says: “The government acts like they own the atmosphere and they don’t. The coverage of smoking is almost one-sided.

“It’s the result of decades of taxpayer-funded negative conditioning which has created the impression among the wider population that one whiff of smoke and you’ll drop dead on the spot.

“There’s no middle ground for these people. What’s next? Are we going to have to sing the national anthem and do 20 push-ups before we go to work?”

For decades cricket and other sports in Australia were sponsored by tobacco companies and promoted by our top sports people and entertainers. The country’s favourite comedian when not promoting Fosters was selling cigarettes.

Planes and trains had smoking sections, and smokers were catered to as valuable patrons. The perennial of any gift shop was the souvenir ashtray.
Today I find myself in a secret society, forced out of clubs and cafes, hiding down laneways, our numbers dwindling with each puff.

Smoking is banned in all enclosed public places and certain outdoor public areas around NSW, under the Smoke-free Environment Act 2000 and the Smoke-free Environment Regulation 2016.

Currently I can’t even smoke a cigarette outside licensed cafes and pubs legally, or within 4m of the entry of any public building.

thank god!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: oh dem poor smokers...
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 12:26pm

I really like that anti smoking ad with the song 'all by myself' playing in the background.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 12:28pm

cods wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 9:46am:
Best-selling author Nikki Gemmell has called smoking “a public declaration of stupidity” and described smokers as “relics of a bygone age”.

Excellent description.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 5:35pm

Ban smoking altogether. Save the country billions of dollars in lost revenue, due to smokers wanting to burn away their money in the form of cigarettes. Save the medical costs. Save the accidental arson from people throwing their cigarette butts out the window of their cars, or when they discard cigarettes and start fires by accident. Save on the instances of nicotine rage, where smokers get angry from their cravings. Heck, with the amount of refocussed energy and improved health, Australia could move up the rankings in the Olympics.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 5:45pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 5:35pm:
Ban smoking altogether.

Smiley

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 5:48pm

People are now living too long because we're all too healthy.

It's time cigarettes were made and sold for $2 a packet so
that we won't have to pay people pensions for 30 years.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 5:49pm

Bobby. wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 5:48pm:

Do you suck on fags, Booby?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:02pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 5:49pm:

Do you suck on fags, Bobby?

You do    Grin

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:04pm

Bobby. wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:02pm:

You do   

I don't smoke, Booby.

It's a disgusting habit.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:06pm

Bobby. wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:02pm:

You do    Grin

Ggreg smokes blue vein

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:13pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:06pm:
Greg smokes blue vein

Not that there's anything wrong with that.   Embarrassed

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:14pm

Gordon doing a bit of shopping:

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #12 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:24pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:14pm:

I've been to blackpool but that's not me and I don't smoke......tobacco

IBI

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #13 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 2:33am

I think $2 a packet was what 70% of Australians were paying 40 years ago (relative to today's pricing) which was what kept the average age of dying 10 years lower than today.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #14 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 2:36am

70% of Australian adults were smokers in the 1950s. That rate has come down to about 15% of adults. Now that the price is too high, and people don't see smoking as fashionable.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #15 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 2:46am

It's OK to demonise smokers because of their choice, but don't you dare say a word about their religious choices and it's effects.
I smoke, it's my choice, it's legal, I've never had a "smoking related illness" or a day off work because of it. The tax I pay on tobacco pays for lard arses to get fatter and live with type2 diabetes at my expense. If I get lung cancer, I'll be dead real quick, yet the taxes I have paid will allow lard arses to continue living long after I have gone.

Sure, make it illegal, I have no problem with that at all, but while it is legal, get the f'ck off my back.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #16 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:00am

The amount of money you pay in taxes from cigarettes do not cover the expenses of lost revenue because we have to put out accidental arson. The health costs of people taking days off work because they have some kind of infection, or get sick more often than non-smokers because of a suppressed immune system. The money spent on cigarettes that could have gone to buying other things. The fact that you could pay off debts easier if you are a non-smoker.

Trust me, I went from being a weekly drinker in 2014 to a non-drinker in 2015. After being buried in debt, I managed to save my drinking money to pay off a credit card debt that was choking me. I went from spending $100 a month on credit card repayments to $200 a month and saving money still from not drinking. Perhaps smokers giving up smoking would see the same effect on their wallet.

Australia can do without cigarette tax if smokers quit smoking en masse.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #17 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:14am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:00am:
The amount of money you pay in taxes from cigarettes do not cover the expenses of lost revenue because we have to put out accidental arson. The health costs of people taking days off work because they have some kind of infection, or get sick more often than non-smokers because of a suppressed immune system. The money spent on cigarettes that could have gone to buying other things. The fact that you could pay off debts easier if you are a non-smoker.

Trust me, I went from being a weekly drinker in 2014 to a non-drinker in 2015. After being buried in debt, I managed to save my drinking money to pay off a credit card debt that was choking me. I went from spending $100 a month on credit card repayments to $200 a month and saving money still from not drinking. Perhaps smokers giving up smoking would see the same effect on their wallet.

Australia can do without cigarette tax if smokers quit smoking en masse.

I don't smoke(cigarettes) in bed, I don't flick butts out the window of my car, I have never taken a day off work because of any smoking related illness, I don't have asthma, I don't get colds or the flu. What I spend my money on is none of your concern.

Trust me, I know what the govt costs me and I'm still not in debt, I pay more in taxes for it than private health insurance. I don't need your moralising argument, leave me the f'ck alone to make my choices. Do you really understand how much tax I pay for the privilege? I've had two hospitalisations, one for gall bladder and one recently for pancreatitis, neither are smoking related. I've modified my diet to avoid any further pancreatitis.

Now tell me how much lard arses cost us?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #18 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:47am

Setanta wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:14am:

Not much. When I went about a dietary change and weight loss program, I did my darndest to just listen to other people about changing what it was I ate and to exercise more often. To date from 2015, I have spent over $200 on weight loss shakes and dietary pills in some desperate attempt to get a boost to help me with weight loss. I have also got my bike reconditioned to be able to ride and exercise in this small town. I go for walks and buy things to keep me hydrated. Just found out recently that they bumped up bottled water from $2 a bottle to $3, which means that I am paying heaps in helping shopping centres and stores profiting. I also eat at fast food outlets on rare occasions (especially in the last 3 months). But I know that my GST from those occasional purchases are going towards the government to spend on keeping smokers alive and compensate for all the wasted opportunities smokers cause.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/02/25/obesity-cost-in-australia_n_9199240....

$120 billion is the figure that the Huffington Post gives as the cost of being overweight/obesity in Australia. I bet a lot of the figure is exaggerated by the potential losses coming from what we could do as an entirely fit and healthy society, and not just from what we settle for as a 60% overweight/obese society. A lot of processed foods attract a GST to the costs of the product. But it is not like I am dying like a wounded beast from having a happy meal, like the costs of smokers have to their health.

I call bs on you not being part of the problem of elevated sickness levels. What you spend your money on is your business, I agree. But I would encourage you to quit smoking for the sake of your health and well-being. Lard arses might cost the country in a range of things. But we are not costing the community in blatant workplace absenteeism, accidental fires, nicotine rage, and not being able to buy things because of the need to waste money on burning sticks of chemically enhanced tobacco encased in paper for whatever benefit you find it does you.

Personally, I think that cigarette factories can do without adding the chemicals in cigarettes. I know it is for the purpose of making the cigarettes burning faster and decreasing the time it takes between smoke breaks because smokers do not get the full effect. But if there is some kind of compromise, there should be a reduction in most chemicals added to cigarettes.

Given that Australia is entering a decade where saturated fats in burgers and fast foods are going to be replaced by faster metabolising fats, it will not be long before we see a decrease in obesity from excess fat and sugar. So, I can hope that something can be done about making cigarettes either healthier or banned from purchase.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #19 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:59am

And... For you that say tobacco smoke is as bad as chemical weapons, one sniff and you are dead. You would let your kids sit around a campfire or wood BBQ without a second thought or even say it's good for them, you who would burn incense because it smells nice and not think twice if your kids caught a wiff of the smoke, well they are just as bad if not worse. A wiff of tobacco smoke is not going to do you or your kids any more harm than they do. You socially engineered muppets... Almost all plant matter burning gives off the same shyte.

Now, I would never say smoking is good for you, of course it's not, for the smoker, for you that may get a whiff and think your life is in danger, don't light candles or incense, don't have open fires, no BBQs etc unless you are total hypocrites about the danger of plant or other matter burning and giving off the chemicals they do.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #20 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:11am

I think you took a wrong turn down a one-way street at high speed. I am not a fan of smoking or cigarette smoke. But, unless I was blown smoke in my face on purpose, I would not take offense to be in the presence of cigarette smoke. I light up mosquito coils for under my house. But I don't stick around to breathe in the smoke. I just wish that smokers would respect my right to breathe clean air. I have much the same contempt for cars that spew carbon monoxide. But I don't go out of my way to breathe the fumes, either.

Twenty-nine years ago, cigarette smoke meant that Dad was around. He quit when I was 10 years old because he was worried that I was going to take up the habit. His quitting meant that we ate more food, because of his cravings, and because we could afford it. Are you worried about becoming a "lard arse" if you quit smoking? You seem to have an aversion to heavyweight people being around you. And had I started smoking, I am sure that I would be in a worse condition financially, not just physically, than what I as a non-smoker have become.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #21 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:13am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:47am:
Setanta wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:14am:

Not much. When I went about a dietary change and weight loss program, I did my darndest to just listen to other people about changing what it was I ate and to exercise more often. To date from 2015, I have spent over $200 on weight loss shakes and dietary pills in some desperate attempt to get a boost to help me with weight loss. I have also got my bike reconditioned to be able to ride and exercise in this small town. I go for walks and buy things to keep me hydrated. Just found out recently that they bumped up bottled water from $2 a bottle to $3, which means that I am paying heaps in helping shopping centres and stores profiting. I also eat at fast food outlets on rare occasions (especially in the last 3 months). But I know that my GST from those occasional purchases are going towards the government to spend on keeping smokers alive and compensate for all the wasted opportunities smokers cause.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/02/25/obesity-cost-in-australia_n_9199240....

$120 billion is the figure that the Huffington Post gives as the cost of being overweight/obesity in Australia. I bet a lot of the figure is exaggerated by the potential losses coming from what we could do as an entirely fit and healthy society, and not just from what we settle for as a 60% overweight/obese society. A lot of processed foods attract a GST to the costs of the product. But it is not like I am dying like a wounded beast from having a happy meal, like the costs of smokers have to their health.

I call bs on you not being part of the problem of elevated sickness levels. What you spend your money on is your business, I agree. But I would encourage you to quit smoking for the sake of your health and well-being. Lard arses might cost the country in a range of things. But we are not costing the community in blatant workplace absenteeism, accidental fires, nicotine rage, and not being able to buy things because of the need to waste money on burning sticks of chemically enhanced tobacco encased in paper for whatever benefit you find it does you.

Personally, I think that cigarette factories can do without adding the chemicals in cigarettes. I know it is for the purpose of making the cigarettes burning faster and decreasing the time it takes between smoke breaks because smokers do not get the full effect. But if there is some kind of compromise, there should be a reduction in most chemicals added to cigarettes.

Given that Australia is entering a decade where saturated fats in burgers and fast foods are going to be replaced by faster metabolising fats, it will not be long before we see a decrease in obesity from excess fat and sugar. So, I can hope that something can be done about making cigarettes either healthier or banned from purchase.

I have no idea what nicotine rage is.

I rarely get sick. I never get the flu or colds, I've not had bronchitis since I was a little kid, I don't and have never had asthma. I know it's hard to prove this but it's true. I never have had a flu shot, I worked at a school with all the "kid germs", as IT I was touching the keyboards the kids used every day, not sick once. I now work with the homeless, still don't get sick. The one day I took off was because I stayed up all night after one user account was compromised and I went over the entire system to make sure that was as far as they got. My one day off was due to lack of sleep.

My taxes have more than paid for the short time I will be in palliative care if I get lung cancer. It's pretty quick.

You lard arses on the other hand cost us every day of your lives.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #22 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:17am

I get sick once a year from all the interactions I have had with people. Aside from food poisoning, I don't think heavyweights are getting sick from fast food and taking the day off. Interesting that much of the food poisoning comes from people who like to take smoke breaks, and then rehandle food with partially washed hands.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #23 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:21am

Nicotine rage. Getting grouchy over not getting a nicotine fix.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #24 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:27am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:17am:
I get sick once a year from all the interactions I have had with people. Aside from food poisoning, I don't think heavyweights are getting sick from fast food and taking the day off. Interesting that much of the food poisoning comes from people who like to take smoke breaks, and then rehandle food with partially washed hands.

I volunteer in a kitchen to feed the homeless, they don't get food poisoning. I am almost always tasked with making the salad, you know uncooked stuff, no people sick. Blaming smokers for poor kitchen hygiene is bad form, I continually tell people to wash their hands after they have used their mobile or have left the kitchen, they don't think twice using the phone and going back to what they were doing, that's filthy. If you leave the kitchen, on your return, wash your hands, if you use your phone, wash your hands, if you (for the women) go to your handbag, wash your hands. Good kitchen hygiene has nothing to do with smokers in particular.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #25 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:35am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:21am:
Nicotine rage. Getting grouchy over not getting a nicotine fix.

Wouldn't that be an unnicotine rage? When I was in hospital recently with pancreatitis, I went 4 days with out a smoke, knocked back their patches. I didn't rage. I said, nah it's cool, don't need them, I smoke because I like it not because I have to. 10 years ago when I was in hospital for the gall bladder, same, nah, I'm fine.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #26 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:57am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:11am:
I think you took a wrong turn down a one-way street at high speed. I am not a fan of smoking or cigarette smoke. But, unless I was blown smoke in my face on purpose, I would not take offense to be in the presence of cigarette smoke. I light up mosquito coils for under my house. But I don't stick around to breathe in the smoke. I just wish that smokers would respect my right to breathe clean air. I have much the same contempt for cars that spew carbon monoxide. But I don't go out of my way to breathe the fumes, either.

Twenty-nine years ago, cigarette smoke meant that Dad was around. He quit when I was 10 years old because he was worried that I was going to take up the habit. His quitting meant that we ate more food, because of his cravings, and because we could afford it. Are you worried about becoming a "lard arse" if you quit smoking? You seem to have an aversion to heavyweight people being around you. And had I started smoking, I am sure that I would be in a worse condition financially, not just physically, than what I as a non-smoker have become.

No, I don't blow smoke on people, I don't smoke near people that do not like it, I'm not a smoking nazi. I will respect peoples wishes. I don't smoke in our house, my son and DiL do not smoke, my granddaughter lives here.

No cars spew carbon monoxide after the introduction by law of catalytic converters in the '80s.

No, I'm not worried about becoming a lard arse if I stop smoking and going by your story above it seems just having more money made you a lard arse. I don't particularly like fat people, it's gross, it's ugly, it's unhealthy, it's inviting health costs not just to you but the wider community and you don't pay the costs other unhealthy habits cost their participants. Fat people freeload because it's so unkind to point out they're lard arses and you can't hurt their feelings.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:09am

Gordon wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:24pm:

Ah but you do smoke ey?

What makes being a stoner any different?

Still doing something that can affect your health & those around you.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:20am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 2:33am:

I think $2 a packet was what 70% of Australians were paying 40 years ago (relative to today's pricing) which was what kept the average age of dying 10 years lower than today.

It wasn't $2 a packet in the 70's. I was buying 2ozs of Drum or Bank rollie tobacco for 60 cents in 1972 - 73.

a 20 pack of tailor mades like B&H & Winfield was around 40 to 45 cents.

When I stopped smoking rollies it was 90cents per 2ozs.

Then days you didn't worry about people asking you for a smoke ... you gave them freely.

Wouldn't do that at the prices today.

It's been 41 years since I had a cigarette & I'm so glad I gave that stinking habit the flick.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:37am

Setanta wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 2:46am:
It's OK to demonise smokers because of their choice, but don't you dare say a word about their religious choices and it's effects.
I smoke, it's my choice, it's legal, I've never had a "smoking related illness" or a day off work because of it. The tax I pay on tobacco pays for lard arses to get fatter and live with type2 diabetes at my expense. If I get lung cancer, I'll be dead real quick, yet the taxes I have paid will allow lard arses to continue living long after I have gone.

Sure, make it illegal, I have no problem with that at all, but while it is legal, get the f'ck off my back.

Quote:
My taxes have more than paid for the short time I will be in palliative care if I get lung cancer. It's pretty quick.

The shorter life spans and reduced quality of life associated with smoking result in a significant increase in total health care costs, not a decrease. The death is often drawn out. This is part of the justification for the high taxes. We see similar arguments for a junk food tax.

Quote:
I have no idea what nicotine rage is.

Quote:
leave me the f'ck alone to make my choices
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:48am by freediver »  

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #30 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:42am

Gnads wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:09am:
Gordon wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:24pm:

Ah but you do smoke ey?

What makes being a stoner any different?

Still doing something that can affect your health & those around you.

It's been years since I smoked pot regularly but even at my heaviest usage it was 2 or 3 joints a week.

That consumption would be inconsequential and probably indistinguishable from varying amounts of air pollution from one suburb to the next

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #31 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:43am

Set & Unsub.

Let's just agree that all fat smokers should be keeled.

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 10:48am

Setanta wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:57am:

No, I don't blow smoke on people, I don't smoke near people that do not like it, I'm not a smoking nazi. I will respect peoples wishes. I don't smoke in our house, my son and DiL do not smoke, my granddaughter lives here.

No cars spew carbon monoxide after the introduction by law of catalytic converters in the '80s.

No, I'm not worried about becoming a lard arse if I stop smoking and going by your story above it seems just having more money made you a lard arse. I don't particularly like fat people, it's gross, it's ugly, it's unhealthy, it's inviting health costs not just to you but the wider community and you don't pay the costs other unhealthy habits cost their participants. Fat people freeload because it's so unkind to point out they're lard arses and you can't hurt their feelings.

quite a few contradictions there set.....sorry to say..

I dont  think there is much to choose from the over eater and the smoker...

what makes you think smokers dont cost us money?

what makes you think they are NOT ugly...the smell alone in very very UGLY...even if you so smoke aways from people... .... they still smell your breath   your hair your clothing....it clings to  everything..

your sense of smell is impeded  the nerves get paralised....so you do not smell another smokers.....

why do you think the govt goes out of its way to prevent people from smoking... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

thus far they are not hiding c hocolate and soft drinks under the counter... naughty food is still allowed to be advertised......

not smokes though.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Tongue Tongue

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 10:54am

"It has been estimated that, during a given year, smoking kills around 15,000 Australians and has significant social (including health) and economic costs—estimated at $31.5 billion in 2004–05" (Collins & Lapsley 2008).

https://www.aihw.gov.au/getmedia/9d29c844-57b0-4d68-808b-2dfd13aec28c/ah16-4-7-t...

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:49pm

both smoking and overeating  is an abomination....

each is up to the individual to fix...

most are waiting for an overnight cure all.. Grin Grin Grin Grin

if only..

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:47pm

is it too much to ask that I go to the shopping centre without having to walk through smoke from the arsewipes smoking just out the doorways?  Angry

****off you dirty mishrats...  Angry

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #36 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:56pm

Gnads wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:20am:

It wasn't $2 a packet in the 70's. I was buying 2ozs of Drum or Bank rollie tobacco for 60 cents in 1972 - 73.

Then days you didn't worry about people asking you for a smoke ... you gave them freely.

It's been 41 years since I had a cigarette & I'm so glad I gave that stinking habit the flick.

What I meant by the "$2 a packet" comment was that the price would have been that amount in the 1970s. $2 a packet today would be about 50c back then. Roll your owns would be much cheaper (according to co-workers) than manufactured cigarettes.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:01pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:56pm:
Gnads wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:20am:

What I meant by the "$2 a packet" comment was that the price would have been that amount in the 1970s. $2 a packet today would be about 50c back then. Roll your owns would be much cheaper (according to co-workers) than manufactured cigarettes.

my  dad died at 89...he smoked since he was 12.....

his fingers were black...it was like a crust on his thumb.......but the older he got the more he rolled his own....it saved him inhaling the chemicals in readymade ..my husband died of lung cancer wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy..

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #38 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:05pm

cods wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 10:48am:

what makes you think they are NOT ugly...the smell alone in very very UGLY...even if you so smoke aways from people... .... they still smell your breath   your hair your clothing....it clings to  everything..

your sense of smell is impeded  the nerves get paralised....so you do not smell another smokers.....

why do you think the govt goes out of its way to prevent people from smoking... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

thus far they are not hiding c hocolate and soft drinks under the counter... naughty food is still allowed to be advertised......

The difference between obese people and smokers is that an obese person can lose weight to a point where they are physically healthy after a year of healthy conditioning. A smoker can quit smokes, and a year later, they feel better in terms of health, get better sleep, lower heart problems, more money in their pocket from not spending on cigarettes. But the damage done to their body either take a long time to recover, or does not recover at all.

I happen to have put on weight due mainly to people pranking me by poisoning my water supply without my knowledge with chemicals that have lead to my weight gain. But if I can overlook that considerable reason for my health problems, I would say that having plenty of time for myself has lead to my regular drinking habits. I have hangover cures that include eating at fast food restaurants. I would go on record as saying that eating $40 worth of McDonalds over a few days (say 3 meals there in 3 days) is HEALTHIER than smoking a $40 packet of cigarettes.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #39 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:47am

cods wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:01pm:
my  dad died at 89...he smoked since he was 12.....

his fingers were black...it was like a crust on his thumb.......but the older he got the more he rolled his own....it saved him inhaling the chemicals in readymade ..my husband died of lung cancer wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy..

My great uncle died of lung cancer in his 70s. I remember watching him slowly take his smoker's cough through to retirement and then into a cancerous state. It is bad enough to see your maternal grandmother dying of cancer over a period of a year. But it would have been horrible to live through something like cancer of the lung.

My ex-girlfriend was a heroin junkie at 17 years of age. I helped her (along with her family and other friends) clean up her life. Ten years later, and after a few brief romances with her, I remember how she looked so radiant -- great legs, nice boobs, very pretty face, etc. She only had cigarette and beers. I was so schizophrenic at my last meeting with her, that I did not even recognise who she was. After being medicated, it was only a couple weeks that I had recovered enough to remember her. That was one of my "Oh damnit" moments. But that cigarette addiction she had was much preferable compared to the sickly figure she was in her teens.

It seems that my family, and extended family have taken up the no smoking rule without a fuss.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:19am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:05pm:
[quote author=WorldSacred link=1515800781/20#20 date=1515867114]I think you took a wrong turn down a one-way street at high speed. I am not a fan of smoking or cigarette smoke. But, unless I was blown smoke in my face on purpose, I would not take offense to be in the presence of cigarette smoke. I light up mosquito coils for under my house. But I don't stick around to breathe in the smoke. I just wish that smokers would respect my right to breathe clean air. I have much the same contempt for cars that spew carbon monoxide. But I don't go out of my way to breathe the fumes, either.

The difference between obese people and smokers is that an obese person can lose weight to a point where they are physically healthy after a year of healthy conditioning. A smoker can quit smokes, and a year later, they feel better in terms of health, get better sleep, lower heart problems, more money in their pocket from not spending on cigarettes. But the damage done to their body either take a long time to recover, or does not recover at all.

I happen to have put on weight due mainly to people pranking me by poisoning my water supply without my knowledge with chemicals that have lead to my weight gain. But if I can overlook that considerable reason for my health problems, I would say that having plenty of time for myself has lead to my regular drinking habits. I have hangover cures that include eating at fast food restaurants. I would go on record as saying that eating $40 worth of McDonalds over a few days (say 3 meals there in 3 days) is HEALTHIER than smoking a $40 packet of cigarettes.[/quote]

seriously unsub     that a daft way to look at health...

either is NOT HEALTHY...

you sound like you have lost your way.. hangovers drugs lung cancer.. obesity all in the one reply.....

come on mate dont dwell on all that rubbish...we are what we allow ourselves to be....think what you want to be tomorrow  if it means giving up sugar.... then thats what you must do....if you have a weight issue plus a sugar issue   you can lose limbs.. to diabetes..its not just smoking that can do that......we ban smokers here in ACT have done so for a looooong time.. its wonderful...funnily enough the most cig butts you find are outside the hospitals.....smokers are dirty... sorry guys but its true..

only my son smokes in my family  have 6 grandkids and so far none smoke....very very happy with that....all g,kids very health conscience.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #41 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:27am

cods wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:19am:
[quote author=WorldSacred link=1515800781/20#20 date=1515867114]I think you took a wrong turn down a one-way street at high speed. I am not a fan of smoking or cigarette smoke. But, unless I was blown smoke in my face on purpose, I would not take offense to be in the presence of cigarette smoke. I light up mosquito coils for under my house. But I don't stick around to breathe in the smoke. I just wish that smokers would respect my right to breathe clean air. I have much the same contempt for cars that spew carbon monoxide. But I don't go out of my way to breathe the fumes, either.

I happen to have put on weight due mainly to people pranking me by poisoning my water supply without my knowledge with chemicals that have lead to my weight gain. But if I can overlook that considerable reason for my health problems, I would say that having plenty of time for myself has lead to my regular drinking habits. I have hangover cures that include eating at fast food restaurants. I would go on record as saying that eating $40 worth of McDonalds over a few days (say 3 meals there in 3 days) is HEALTHIER than smoking a $40 packet of cigarettes.[/quote]

either is NOT HEALTHY...

you sound like you have lost your way.. hangovers drugs lung cancer.. obesity all in the one reply.....

come on mate dont dwell on all that rubbish...we are what we allow ourselves to be....think what you want to be tomorrow  if it means giving up sugar.... then thats what you must do....if you have a weight issue plus a sugar issue   you can lose limbs.. to diabetes..its not just smoking that can do that......we ban smokers here in ACT have done so for a looooong time.. its wonderful...funnily enough the most cig butts you find are outside the hospitals.....smokers are dirty... sorry guys but its true..

only my son smokes in my family  have 6 grandkids and so far none smoke....very very happy with that....all g,kids very health conscience.

Codsy, when I was my daughters age, 11, we all couldn't wait to start drinking and smoking and I probably had a sneaky puff on a stolen ciggy by then.

On smoking my daughter said, I've put so much effort into training and getting fit and fast, why the hell would I want to destroy my health. Hope she sticks to this.

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:33am

sounds like she will gordy  kids are a lot better informed these days.. sand since the advertising stopped and they can only be sold under the counter.....I think its made a lot of difference.. in my day everyone smoked... in England we were even allowed to smoke in cinemas...crazy........ now they dont hide the damage it causes....its a shame they dont emphasise the damage drinking does like they did with smoking........drinking is more than just a health/social  hazard...

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #43 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:44am

cods wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:33am:
sounds like she will gordy  kids are a lot better informed these days.. sand since the advertising stopped and they can only be sold under the counter.....I think its made a lot of difference.. in my day everyone smoked... in England we were even allowed to smoke in cinemas...crazy........ now they dont hide the damage it causes....its a shame they dont emphasise the damage drinking does like they did with smoking........drinking is more than just a health/social  hazard...

I'm just old enough to remember the bad old days when smoking was considered cool and just about all of my mates smoked to some extent.

My daughter and all of her friends call anyone who smokes a loser. Mean but hope that attitude sticks.

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:53am

IP Logged

Nom de Plume
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 10:09am

Diabetes and obesity cost the public health system more than smokers do now days.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #46 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 10:45am

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:47pm:
is it too much to ask that I go to the shopping centre without having to walk through smoke from the arsewipes smoking just out the doorways?  Angry

****off you dirty mishrats...  Angry

You're not wrong!

It's unfair for those of us who have kids and/or asthma and/or bronchitis!

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #47 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 11:50am

either is NOT HEALTHY...

Eating Maccas is not necessarily unhealthy in the same way smoking is. Plenty of elite athletes eat it as part of a managed diet. It is a good source of sugar and high GI carbs. Apparently there is even meat in it somewhere.

We could have a rule where anyone who smokes has to either wear a cow bell round their neck or cry out "unclean! unclean!" if they go into public places, so anyone who still has a sense of smell knows to stop breathing until they pass.
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2018 at 11:58am by freediver »  

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:01pm

freediver wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 11:50am:
Eating Maccas is not necessarily unhealthy in the same way smoking is. Plenty of elite athletes eat it as part of a managed diet. It is a good source of sugar and high GI carbs. Apparently there is even meat in it somewhere.

will I be shot at dawn???... I dont mind maccas   once in a while.....

it isnt something I would recommend if trying to lose weight....aka unsub....for starters it isnt filling...

would you recommend someone trying to avoid lung cancer  to only smoke every other day???

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #49 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:03pm

Hell yeah. Who wants to live forever?
I honestly did not expect to make thirty, and I am now more than double that.
I wanted to leave this party a long time ago.

I still smoke, in fact I am right now as I type, and have been a full time smoker since my early teens. I know it is bad, I do not care.
The tax I pay on smokes I care about, what a friggin rip.

So lay in now, the best things in life have mostly been a little naughty, but I never let that stop me.

Banning is a smart idea, prohibition works a treat. The price it is now you could score a pack of smokes from your local ice dealer, it would probably be cheaper.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Nom de Plume
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:05pm

Car pollutants are far more damaging than smokers outside shopping centre's.

for example... https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Community-and-environment/Environmental-management/How-you-can-make-a-difference/Motor-vehicle-pollution.aspx

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:23pm

mozzaok wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:03pm:

I still smoke, in fact I am right now as I type, and have been a full time smoker since my early teens. I know it is bad, I do not care.

So lay in now, the best things in life have mostly been a little naughty, but I never let that stop me.

Banning is a smart idea, prohibition works a treat. The price it is now you could score a pack of smokes from your local ice dealer, it would probably be cheaper.

I remember a guy blowing the smoke through a white hanky...it left this ugly brown stain  this mossy   was just one puff......imagine how many puffs you have had in all these years....imagine all those brown stains in your lungs.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #52 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:33pm

cods wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:23pm:

I remember a guy blowing the smoke through a white hanky...it left this ugly brown stain  this mossy   was just one puff......imagine how many puffs you have had in all these years....imagine all those brown stains in your lungs.

IBI

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #53 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 11:21pm

I would go on record as saying that eating $40 worth of McDonalds over a few days (say 3 meals there in 3 days) is HEALTHIER than smoking a $40 packet of cigarettes.

either is NOT HEALTHY...

Some years ago, someone (I don't know who it was) went on record to say that eating fast food in Australia is healthier than starving on little food in the third world. I happen to agree with him. We hear about movies like "Supersize me" and how the eating of fast food for a whole month is horrific on people's health. But the straight out truth is that I could go a whole year on fast food than on starvation through basic one meal per day that other places have. Even if it meant eating one fast food meal a day, and two healthy home prepared meals, I could do that. But I would not last one what places around the world do for their one meal a day.

And I would compare 3 meals of junk food as a non-smoker being healthier than $40 smoking worth of cigarettes.

For the record, I discovered the health kick of having celery, onion, parsnips, etc., just last year. My weight started plummeting. I had my first KFC meal today for the year, I could not eat it. I think my body is starting to reject fatty food, as I have had no cravings for it. I drink coffee on a regular basis now. Since then, my cola intake has dropped dramatically. That means that I don't have as high a spike in blood glucose levels when I want my caffeine hit.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #54 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 11:33pm

cods wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:01pm:

will I be shot at dawn???... I dont mind maccas   once in a while.....

it isnt something I would recommend if trying to lose weight....aka unsub....for starters it isnt filling...

would you recommend someone trying to avoid lung cancer  to only smoke every other day???

One of my new year's resolutions was to cut down fast food to once a month treats. I had Maccas last Saturday week. I had KFC today. The Maccas was because I could not wait 30 minutes to get home and have a meal. And that Maccas meal must have digested within 30 minutes anyway, I was that hungry. I have sworn off KFC for a long time, since I did not enjoy my meal today. I suppose if I can show some self-control, I can limit my fast food intake to once a month. And then, I could probably keep away from fast food for a while, if I really don't have cravings for it. So far, I have regulated my lunch and dinners to be filling with healthy servings of fruit, vegetables, sandwiches and lean meats.

The difference though is that whilst fast food can be burned off in energy during an afternoon jog, cigarettes do nothing other than to give someone a nicotine hit. The damage done is irreversible, whilst other smoking-related damage takes a while to quit smoking. I would recommend those that are quitting to just ease off the smokes a little bit at a time. Dad quit after smoking his last packet. He had mild withdrawal symptoms. But he got over it in time.

I benefitted from quitting alcohol through my health -- physically and mentally -- and the way I was saving on money. I sleep better and have a better outlook on life. Why can't smokers have the same attitude in quitting smokes?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #55 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 11:36pm

Nom de Plume wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 10:09am:
Diabetes and obesity cost the public health system more than smokers do now days.

How do we know that diabetes and obesity problems are not being complicated by those that smoke? A non-smoking diabetic and a non-smoking obese person may get around okay and control their diabetes and obesity quite adequately. But if they were a smoker, it is probably the smoking that leads them to sitting in the hospital wards. And you smokers would go on to say that it is their diabetes that is the main problem, but not their smoking.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #56 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 11:40pm

We could have a rule where anyone who smokes has to either wear a cow bell round their neck or cry out "unclean! unclean!" if they go into public places, so anyone who still has a sense of smell knows to stop breathing until they pass.

Jokes aside, being an anti-smoking Nazi is not the answer. Simply keeping a distance from a smoker is implicit enough notification that you don't want a smoker near you. They get the hint.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #57 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 11:47pm

My former housemate was and is a heavy smoker. At her parties, she would like to go outside every half an hour to have a cigarette. I would never see her inside for much longer than 20 minutes. I would go around for a visit some nights, and her and her husband would be watching their tv series on netflix, etc. They paused the show no longer than after watching 30 minutes worth of an episode -- not even a full 45 minutes for the show's worth of attention -- to have a cigarette outside. I rarely went to the movies with her. But I believe that there would be next to no chance that she could sit through a 3-hour movie like Titanic without losing her mind about needing a cigarette. She lights up before a movie, and can't wait to light up after the movie.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #58 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 11:57pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:44am:

I'm just old enough to remember the bad old days when smoking was considered cool and just about all of my mates smoked to some extent.

My daughter and all of her friends call anyone who smokes a loser. Mean but hope that attitude sticks.

I don't know what it is about smoking that people thought it cool. I have the feeling that since cigarettes suppress the apetite, the idea behind smoking reducing hunger was necessary 60 years ago. I suppose that the flow on effect to the children of those now 70 to 80 year olds were that the children undertook smoking to try and be with the sympathies of their parents.

Dad started smoking before his 10th birthday. A few years ago, at his 60th birthday party, we were treated to a photograph of my father when he was 12 being photographed lighting up a cigarette. His younger brother, my uncle, was in the foreground with his hands raised in surprise and smiling that they were caught smoking by their father, my grandfather.

Dad is vocal about how he felt he missed out on things to afford as a smoker, and probably feels that he wasted his life. But he knows that he has saved money on smokes enough to pay off debts quicker and afford new cars that were out of his price range.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #59 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 5:41am

Ban smoking altogether. Save the country billions of dollars in lost revenue, due to smokers wanting to burn away their money in the form of cigarettes. Save the medical costs.

The government will never ban smoking. They make too much money out of it.

The tax on a pack of smokes is about 70% but the government announced that it would implement annual increases in tobacco excise of 12.5% up to and including 2020,

But lets just say it stays at 70%.

A pack a day smoker buys cigarettes at, lets say $30

So they pay the government $21 for the privilege to smoke. Every day.

Now lets say they smoke for 30 years. They have paid, in tax, $229,950 (not including the leap years)

Coupled with the tax on their salary, Raven would argue their medical costs are covered. Also, if we ban smoking altogether we could potentially lose billions of dollars in revenue.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #60 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:56am

People are still getting hold of Chop Chop .... it's nearly classed as an illegal drug just because the govt is missing out on it's tax.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:57am

Nom de Plume wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:05pm:

for example... https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Community-and-environment/Environmental-management/How-you-can-make-a-difference/Motor-vehicle-pollution.aspx

Try trucks & heavy machinery.

All cars have mandatory pollution gear on them today.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #62 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 9:11am

Gnads wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:56am:

People are still getting hold of Chop Chop .... it's nearly classed as an illegal drug just because the govt is missing out on it's tax.

A drug lawyer I know told me you'd get a harsher punishment for illegally cultivating tobacco over MJ as they prosecutors go harder

IBI

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #63 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:20pm

Raven wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 5:41am:
Ban smoking altogether. Save the country billions of dollars in lost revenue, due to smokers wanting to burn away their money in the form of cigarettes. Save the medical costs.

The tax on a pack of smokes is about 70% but the government announced that it would implement annual increases in tobacco excise of 12.5% up to and including 2020,

Now lets say they smoke for 30 years. They have paid, in tax, $229,950 (not including the leap years)

Coupled with the tax on their salary, Raven would argue their medical costs are covered. Also, if we ban smoking altogether we could potentially lose billions of dollars in revenue.

I think you need to think about what you wrote. $30 a day for 365 days a year is $10,950 per year in total. But going by the tax only is $7,665. Either way, that is $10,000+ that could have been saved by the smoker by NOT SMOKING. I have a post about how I quit drinking alcoholic drinks for a year in 2015. I saved enough money not buying alcohol or even junk food for hangover cures that I managed to pay off my credit card ($4000 in debt) inside a year because of the extra repayments I could afford.

The $229,950 from tax smoking over 30 years is money that could have been SAVED and spent on constructive other things. $229,950 is the cost of a very decent home, My parents own a home worth $150,000 in today's terms, and the house is much better than the basic fiberglass home it once was in the 1980s.

If a smoker, somehow, smoking $30 a day in cigarettes instead decided to quit smoking and buy another house to rent out, he or she could be rolling in rent money in the years enough to retire and still get an income. Perhaps retire earlier and live longer. Or buy a new car to replace their old car much sooner. Or travel more often and live a full life. Someone smoking $200,000 worth of cigarettes in 30 years would be KICKING THEMSELVES with the amount of money they spent wasting on cigarettes.

I dwell on the money I wasted on alcohol. Between 2006 and 2015, I must have spent an average of $30 a week on booze and junk food. That is $1500 per year. $13,500 in the 9 years, which is about half my income for the year in my current circumstances. And here I was complaining about being in debt $4000.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #64 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:30pm

Gnads wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:57am:
Nom de Plume wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:05pm:

Try trucks & heavy machinery.

All cars have mandatory pollution gear on them today.

Follow a Commodore up a steep hill.... gag.... trucks.... overtake as soon as possible and leave behind... nothing like a lungful of diesel...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

person

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:23pm

i am a smoker. i really think cigarettes should be banned. economically theyre a non elastic good so no matter how much the price goes up people are still going to buy them, i reackon it would put a major dent in government revenue though!!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #66 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:41pm

person wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:23pm:
i am a smoker. i really think cigarettes should be banned. economically theyre a non elastic good so no matter how much the price goes up people are still going to buy them, i reackon it would put a major dent in government revenue though!!

So instead of the government getting all that tax revenue it should go to drug dealers instead? How many new jails would we have to build to house all the offenders, and where would that money come from?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #67 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 9:06pm

Not in the savings the government makes, though. And all that cigarette money that gets saved will end up being spent on something a lot more substantial and beneficial for the Australian economy. The government will get some tax money out of that, too.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #68 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 9:21pm

freediver wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:41pm:

So instead of the government getting all that tax revenue it should go to drug dealers instead? How many new jails would we have to build to house all the offenders, and where would that money come from?

What... the.... fock? What makes you think that smokers will turn their attention to getting drugs? I realise that quitting smoking is difficult. But you would not be so hooked on nicotine that you would overlook getting nicotine patches and gum in favour of some drugs. Where did your question come from?

Only 3 months ago, I was up in hospital being treated for my hypochondria. A bed over, and behind a curtain, I heard the moaning, guttural-sounding pain of some patient being treated for heroin or whatever drug that patient was withdrawing. It turned out that it was a woman with a severe drug dependency. The nurse gave the patient some sort of pain killer -- assuming that it was not legally available to the public -- and told the patient it was the strongest drug that they had. Half an hour after receiving it, she started moaning again that she was in pain. Had I a criminal psyche about me, I would have gotten hold of a fire extinguisher and beaten her to death. As far as I am concerned, she had been funding my enemies so that they can buy sports cars, etc.

I could tell you about junkies who drive their cars into stores over jealousy issues, etc. But I would have to wonder why you think that smokers would turn their attention to hard drugs as an alternative to cigarettes? Let me guess: You wrote a desperate strawman argument as a way to defend your cigarette habit.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #69 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 9:40pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 9:21pm:
freediver wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:41pm:

What... the.... fock? What makes you think that smokers will turn their attention to getting drugs? I realise that quitting smoking is difficult. But you would not be so hooked on nicotine that you would overlook getting nicotine patches and gum in favour of some drugs. Where did your question come from?

Only 3 months ago, I was up in hospital being treated for my hypochondria. A bed over, and behind a curtain, I heard the moaning, guttural-sounding pain of some patient being treated for heroin or whatever drug that patient was withdrawing. It turned out that it was a woman with a severe drug dependency. The nurse gave the patient some sort of pain killer -- assuming that it was not legally available to the public -- and told the patient it was the strongest drug that they had. Half an hour after receiving it, she started moaning again that she was in pain. Had I a criminal psyche about me, I would have gotten hold of a fire extinguisher and beaten her to death. As far as I am concerned, she had been funding my enemies so that they can buy sports cars, etc.

I could tell you about junkies who drive their cars into stores over jealousy issues, etc. But I would have to wonder why you think that smokers would turn their attention to hard drugs as an alternative to cigarettes? Let me guess: You wrote a desperate strawman argument as a way to defend your cigarette habit.

Nicotine is a drug - a highly addictive one. That's what person meant by non-elastic good.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #70 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 9:45pm

We should have more freedom not less....Pot should be legalised as well....If people want to smoke, drink or get high it is their choice IMO....It is those who complain about PC so they can be assholes that want to restrict the most freedoms!!!

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #71 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 9:47pm

nicotine is devilishly hard to kick- very very highly addictive- i failed more than once but got there in the end

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 10:10pm

We should have more freedom not less....Pot should be legalised as well....If people want to smoke, drink or get high it is their choice IMO....It is those who complain about PC so they can be assholes that want to restrict the most freedoms!!!

Phil, would you draw the line anywhere?

What about some of those synthetic cannabis ones that are bloody dangerous, Ice?

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #73 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 11:44pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:20pm:
Raven wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 5:41am:

I think you need to think about what you wrote. $30 a day for 365 days a year is $10,950 per year in total. But going by the tax only is $7,665. Either way, that is $10,000+ that could have been saved by the smoker by NOT SMOKING. I have a post about how I quit drinking alcoholic drinks for a year in 2015. I saved enough money not buying alcohol or even junk food for hangover cures that I managed to pay off my credit card ($4000 in debt) inside a year because of the extra repayments I could afford.

The $229,950 from tax smoking over 30 years is money that could have been SAVED and spent on constructive other things. $229,950 is the cost of a very decent home, My parents own a home worth $150,000 in today's terms, and the house is much better than the basic fiberglass home it once was in the 1980s.

If a smoker, somehow, smoking $30 a day in cigarettes instead decided to quit smoking and buy another house to rent out, he or she could be rolling in rent money in the years enough to retire and still get an income. Perhaps retire earlier and live longer. Or buy a new car to replace their old car much sooner. Or travel more often and live a full life. Someone smoking $200,000 worth of cigarettes in 30 years would be KICKING THEMSELVES with the amount of money they spent wasting on cigarettes.

I dwell on the money I wasted on alcohol. Between 2006 and 2015, I must have spent an average of $30 a week on booze and junk food. That is $1500 per year. $13,500 in the 9 years, which is about half my income for the year in my current circumstances. And here I was complaining about being in debt $4000.

Raven's point is the government won't ban cigarettes, they make to much money off it.

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #74 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 11:51pm

miketrees wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 10:10pm:

What about some of those synthetic cannabis ones that are bloody dangerous, Ice?

It's interesting actually. The government regulates a product proven to kill tens of thousands of people per year in this country alone.

Yet they ban a product like cannabis which in all of recorded history has killed a grand total of zero people.

Cigarettes kill more people then ice, cocaine and heroin combined.

When they say don't do drugs they must really mean, don't do those untaxed drugs.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #75 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 11:52pm

Double post.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #76 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 12:07am

Raven wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 11:44pm:
Raven's point is the government won't ban cigarettes, they make to much money off it.

Raven's point is totally flawed when you factor in the costs of accidental arson, health costs, loss of work production, money stress, and a whole range of other factors smoking costs us. Whatever tax is collected from cigarette sales is superseded by the need to spend more money covering the losses cigarettes cost society.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #77 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 2:30am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 12:07am:

Raven's point is totally flawed when you factor in the costs of accidental arson, health costs, loss of work production, money stress, and a whole range of other factors smoking costs us. Whatever tax is collected from cigarette sales is superseded by the need to spend more money covering the losses cigarettes cost society.

And yet the government continues to regulate a product that kills 15,000 people per year. A product that 86% of the population doesn't use.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 6:41am

Raven wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 2:30am:

And yet the government continues to regulate a product that kills 15,000 people per year. A product that 86% of the population doesn't use.

we already have a huge problem with tobacco smuggling raven......if smoking was banned my god  I would think tobacco smuggling would over take drugs and guns...for sure..

anything you prohibit makes it more exciting...

I think they have done a lot to curb its use..

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #79 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 12:35pm

Raven wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 11:51pm:

It's interesting actually. The government regulates a product proven to kill tens of thousands of people per year in this country alone.

Yet they ban a product like cannabis which in all of recorded history has killed a grand total of zero people.

When they say don't do drugs they must really mean, don't do those untaxed drugs.

So no-one has ever died from cancer caused by smoking pot, or misadventure caused by intoxication?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 12:39pm

freediver wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 12:35pm:

So no-one has ever died from cancer caused by smoking pot, or misadventure caused by intoxication?

Strangely enough, a study from about 10 years ago shows that people who smoke marijuana don't appear to be at increased risk for developing lung cancer.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #81 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 5:22pm

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 5:31pm

Results:
There were 79 cases of lung cancer and 324 controls. The risk of lung cancer increased 8% (95% CI 2% to 15%) for each joint-year of cannabis smoking, after adjustment for confounding variables including cigarette smoking, and 7% (95% CI 5% to 9%) for each pack-year of cigarette smoking, after adjustment for confounding variables including cannabis smoking. The highest tertile of cannabis use was associated with an increased risk of lung cancer RR=5.7 (95% CI 1.5 to 21.6), after adjustment for confounding variables including cigarette smoking.

Conclusions:
Long term cannabis use increases the risk of lung cancer in young adult

if petrol sniffing  can do so much harm  whatever makes us think cannabis wont..

we take a lot of poisons into our system  today more than ever before......fluoride is a good one...if it was rolled up and smoked  I am sure it would kill..

being controlled it does more good than harm..

I remember reading where face powder was once  made from arsenic

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #83 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:14pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 12:39pm:

Strangely enough, a study from about 10 years ago shows that people who smoke marijuana don't appear to be at increased risk for developing lung cancer.

Did your dealer tell you that? Or the HEMP party?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:39pm

freediver wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:14pm:

Neither.

It was Donald Tashkin, a pulmonologist and professor of medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles.

He was surprised by the results of his study too.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #85 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:44pm

"Tashkin has spent 30 years studying cannabis.

"In 2006, he was in charge of a large case-control study on marijuana and the risk of cancer.

"Contrary to his group's expectations, the study found no increase in lung cancer risk even among heavy users of marijuana."

"The smoke from burning marijuana leaves contains several known carcinogens and the tar it creates contains 50 percent more of some of the chemicals linked to lung cancer than tobacco smoke.

"A marijuana cigarette also deposits four times as much of that tar as an equivalent tobacco one.

"Scientists were therefore surprised to learn that a study of more than 2,000 people found no increase in the risk of developing lung cancer for marijuana smokers."

Large Study Finds No Link between Marijuana and Lung Cancer

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 9:22pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 8:44pm:

"Tashkin has spent 30 years studying cannabis.

"In 2006, he was in charge of a large case-control study on marijuana and the risk of cancer.

"Contrary to his group's expectations, the study found no increase in lung cancer risk even among heavy users of marijuana."

"The smoke from burning marijuana leaves contains several known carcinogens and the tar it creates contains 50 percent more of some of the chemicals linked to lung cancer than tobacco smoke.

"A marijuana cigarette also deposits four times as much of that tar as an equivalent tobacco one.

"Scientists were therefore surprised to learn that a study of more than 2,000 people found no increase in the risk of developing lung cancer for marijuana smokers."

Large Study Finds No Link between Marijuana and Lung Cancer

I guess FD doesn't like studies done by experts with more than 30 years experience in the field.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #87 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 9:59pm

cods wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 6:41am:
Raven wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 2:30am:

we already have a huge problem with tobacco smuggling raven......if smoking was banned my god  I would think tobacco smuggling would over take drugs and guns...for sure..

anything you prohibit makes it more exciting...

I think they have done a lot to curb its use..

I think there will come a time when smoking is shunned to such an extent that only about 1% of Australians will be smoking by 2030. That will be the time when the future government will enforce a ban on smoking. Allowing 5 years to get the smokers left to quit smoking. Then another 5 years of misdemeanour convictions for those that continue to smoke (rollies and such).

For all I care, a ban on cigarettes will lead to heroin dealers switching to cigarettes to sell illegally, as it will be easier to import cigarettes than heroin to Australia. This might lead to the end of heroin imported, since cigarette/tobacco smuggling will be in demand instead of heroin. I can deal with smokers. But I have trouble reasoning with junkies.

I would rather the government regulate cigarettes than leave it unregulated. But there will be a time when cigarettes are about as used as heroin. And by then, heroin will be replaced with something else or left to have users dry out.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print