Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
oh dem poor smokers... (Read 5203 times)
Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: oh dem poor smokers...
Reply #60 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:56am

mozzaok wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:03pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 5:48pm:
People are now living too long because we're all too healthy.

It's time cigarettes were made and sold for $2 a packet so
that we won't have to pay people pensions for 30 years.

Hell yeah. Who wants to live forever?
I honestly did not expect to make thirty, and I am now more than double that.
I wanted to leave this party a long time ago.

I still smoke, in fact I am right now as I type, and have been a full time smoker since my early teens. I know it is bad, I do not care.
The tax I pay on smokes I care about, what a friggin rip.

So lay in now, the best things in life have mostly been a little naughty, but I never let that stop me.

Banning is a smart idea, prohibition works a treat. The price it is now you could score a pack of smokes from your local ice dealer, it would probably be cheaper.

People are still getting hold of Chop Chop .... it's nearly classed as an illegal drug just because the govt is missing out on it's tax.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:57am

Nom de Plume wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:05pm:
Car pollutants are far more damaging than smokers outside shopping centre's.

for example... https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Community-and-environment/Environmental-management/How-you-can-make-a-difference/Motor-vehicle-pollution.aspx

Try trucks & heavy machinery.

All cars have mandatory pollution gear on them today.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #62 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 9:11am

Gnads wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:56am:
mozzaok wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:03pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 5:48pm:
People are now living too long because we're all too healthy.

It's time cigarettes were made and sold for $2 a packet so
that we won't have to pay people pensions for 30 years.

Hell yeah. Who wants to live forever?
I honestly did not expect to make thirty, and I am now more than double that.
I wanted to leave this party a long time ago.

I still smoke, in fact I am right now as I type, and have been a full time smoker since my early teens. I know it is bad, I do not care.
The tax I pay on smokes I care about, what a friggin rip.

So lay in now, the best things in life have mostly been a little naughty, but I never let that stop me.

Banning is a smart idea, prohibition works a treat. The price it is now you could score a pack of smokes from your local ice dealer, it would probably be cheaper.

People are still getting hold of Chop Chop .... it's nearly classed as an illegal drug just because the govt is missing out on it's tax.

A drug lawyer I know told me you'd get a harsher punishment for illegally cultivating tobacco over MJ as they prosecutors go harder

IBI

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #63 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:20pm

Raven wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 5:41am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 5:35pm:
Ban smoking altogether. Save the country billions of dollars in lost revenue, due to smokers wanting to burn away their money in the form of cigarettes. Save the medical costs.

The government will never ban smoking. They make too much money out of it.

The tax on a pack of smokes is about 70% but the government announced that it would implement annual increases in tobacco excise of 12.5% up to and including 2020,

But lets just say it stays at 70%.

A pack a day smoker buys cigarettes at, lets say $30

So they pay the government $21 for the privilege to smoke. Every day.

Now lets say they smoke for 30 years. They have paid, in tax, $229,950 (not including the leap years)

Coupled with the tax on their salary, Raven would argue their medical costs are covered. Also, if we ban smoking altogether we could potentially lose billions of dollars in revenue.

I think you need to think about what you wrote. $30 a day for 365 days a year is $10,950 per year in total. But going by the tax only is $7,665. Either way, that is $10,000+ that could have been saved by the smoker by NOT SMOKING. I have a post about how I quit drinking alcoholic drinks for a year in 2015. I saved enough money not buying alcohol or even junk food for hangover cures that I managed to pay off my credit card ($4000 in debt) inside a year because of the extra repayments I could afford.

The $229,950 from tax smoking over 30 years is money that could have been SAVED and spent on constructive other things. $229,950 is the cost of a very decent home, My parents own a home worth $150,000 in today's terms, and the house is much better than the basic fiberglass home it once was in the 1980s.

If a smoker, somehow, smoking $30 a day in cigarettes instead decided to quit smoking and buy another house to rent out, he or she could be rolling in rent money in the years enough to retire and still get an income. Perhaps retire earlier and live longer. Or buy a new car to replace their old car much sooner. Or travel more often and live a full life. Someone smoking $200,000 worth of cigarettes in 30 years would be KICKING THEMSELVES with the amount of money they spent wasting on cigarettes.

I dwell on the money I wasted on alcohol. Between 2006 and 2015, I must have spent an average of $30 a week on booze and junk food. That is $1500 per year. $13,500 in the 9 years, which is about half my income for the year in my current circumstances. And here I was complaining about being in debt $4000.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #64 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:30pm

Gnads wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:57am:
Nom de Plume wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:05pm:
Car pollutants are far more damaging than smokers outside shopping centre's.

for example... https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Community-and-environment/Environmental-management/How-you-can-make-a-difference/Motor-vehicle-pollution.aspx

Try trucks & heavy machinery.

All cars have mandatory pollution gear on them today.

Follow a Commodore up a steep hill.... gag.... trucks.... overtake as soon as possible and leave behind... nothing like a lungful of diesel...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

person

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:23pm

i am a smoker. i really think cigarettes should be banned. economically theyre a non elastic good so no matter how much the price goes up people are still going to buy them, i reackon it would put a major dent in government revenue though!!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #66 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:41pm

person wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:23pm:
i am a smoker. i really think cigarettes should be banned. economically theyre a non elastic good so no matter how much the price goes up people are still going to buy them, i reackon it would put a major dent in government revenue though!!

So instead of the government getting all that tax revenue it should go to drug dealers instead? How many new jails would we have to build to house all the offenders, and where would that money come from?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #67 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 9:06pm

Not in the savings the government makes, though. And all that cigarette money that gets saved will end up being spent on something a lot more substantial and beneficial for the Australian economy. The government will get some tax money out of that, too.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #68 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 9:21pm

freediver wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:41pm:

So instead of the government getting all that tax revenue it should go to drug dealers instead? How many new jails would we have to build to house all the offenders, and where would that money come from?

What... the.... fock? What makes you think that smokers will turn their attention to getting drugs? I realise that quitting smoking is difficult. But you would not be so hooked on nicotine that you would overlook getting nicotine patches and gum in favour of some drugs. Where did your question come from?

Only 3 months ago, I was up in hospital being treated for my hypochondria. A bed over, and behind a curtain, I heard the moaning, guttural-sounding pain of some patient being treated for heroin or whatever drug that patient was withdrawing. It turned out that it was a woman with a severe drug dependency. The nurse gave the patient some sort of pain killer -- assuming that it was not legally available to the public -- and told the patient it was the strongest drug that they had. Half an hour after receiving it, she started moaning again that she was in pain. Had I a criminal psyche about me, I would have gotten hold of a fire extinguisher and beaten her to death. As far as I am concerned, she had been funding my enemies so that they can buy sports cars, etc.

I could tell you about junkies who drive their cars into stores over jealousy issues, etc. But I would have to wonder why you think that smokers would turn their attention to hard drugs as an alternative to cigarettes? Let me guess: You wrote a desperate strawman argument as a way to defend your cigarette habit.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #69 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 9:40pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 9:21pm:
freediver wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:41pm:

What... the.... fock? What makes you think that smokers will turn their attention to getting drugs? I realise that quitting smoking is difficult. But you would not be so hooked on nicotine that you would overlook getting nicotine patches and gum in favour of some drugs. Where did your question come from?

Only 3 months ago, I was up in hospital being treated for my hypochondria. A bed over, and behind a curtain, I heard the moaning, guttural-sounding pain of some patient being treated for heroin or whatever drug that patient was withdrawing. It turned out that it was a woman with a severe drug dependency. The nurse gave the patient some sort of pain killer -- assuming that it was not legally available to the public -- and told the patient it was the strongest drug that they had. Half an hour after receiving it, she started moaning again that she was in pain. Had I a criminal psyche about me, I would have gotten hold of a fire extinguisher and beaten her to death. As far as I am concerned, she had been funding my enemies so that they can buy sports cars, etc.

I could tell you about junkies who drive their cars into stores over jealousy issues, etc. But I would have to wonder why you think that smokers would turn their attention to hard drugs as an alternative to cigarettes? Let me guess: You wrote a desperate strawman argument as a way to defend your cigarette habit.

Nicotine is a drug - a highly addictive one. That's what person meant by non-elastic good.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #70 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 9:45pm

We should have more freedom not less....Pot should be legalised as well....If people want to smoke, drink or get high it is their choice IMO....It is those who complain about PC so they can be assholes that want to restrict the most freedoms!!!

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #71 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 9:47pm

nicotine is devilishly hard to kick- very very highly addictive- i failed more than once but got there in the end

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 10:10pm

We should have more freedom not less....Pot should be legalised as well....If people want to smoke, drink or get high it is their choice IMO....It is those who complain about PC so they can be assholes that want to restrict the most freedoms!!!

Phil, would you draw the line anywhere?

What about some of those synthetic cannabis ones that are bloody dangerous, Ice?

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #73 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 11:44pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:20pm:
Raven wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 5:41am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 5:35pm:
Ban smoking altogether. Save the country billions of dollars in lost revenue, due to smokers wanting to burn away their money in the form of cigarettes. Save the medical costs.

The government will never ban smoking. They make too much money out of it.

The tax on a pack of smokes is about 70% but the government announced that it would implement annual increases in tobacco excise of 12.5% up to and including 2020,

But lets just say it stays at 70%.

A pack a day smoker buys cigarettes at, lets say $30

So they pay the government $21 for the privilege to smoke. Every day.

Now lets say they smoke for 30 years. They have paid, in tax, $229,950 (not including the leap years)

Coupled with the tax on their salary, Raven would argue their medical costs are covered. Also, if we ban smoking altogether we could potentially lose billions of dollars in revenue.

I think you need to think about what you wrote. $30 a day for 365 days a year is $10,950 per year in total. But going by the tax only is $7,665. Either way, that is $10,000+ that could have been saved by the smoker by NOT SMOKING. I have a post about how I quit drinking alcoholic drinks for a year in 2015. I saved enough money not buying alcohol or even junk food for hangover cures that I managed to pay off my credit card ($4000 in debt) inside a year because of the extra repayments I could afford.

The $229,950 from tax smoking over 30 years is money that could have been SAVED and spent on constructive other things. $229,950 is the cost of a very decent home, My parents own a home worth $150,000 in today's terms, and the house is much better than the basic fiberglass home it once was in the 1980s.

If a smoker, somehow, smoking $30 a day in cigarettes instead decided to quit smoking and buy another house to rent out, he or she could be rolling in rent money in the years enough to retire and still get an income. Perhaps retire earlier and live longer. Or buy a new car to replace their old car much sooner. Or travel more often and live a full life. Someone smoking $200,000 worth of cigarettes in 30 years would be KICKING THEMSELVES with the amount of money they spent wasting on cigarettes.

I dwell on the money I wasted on alcohol. Between 2006 and 2015, I must have spent an average of $30 a week on booze and junk food. That is $1500 per year. $13,500 in the 9 years, which is about half my income for the year in my current circumstances. And here I was complaining about being in debt $4000.

Raven's point is the government won't ban cigarettes, they make to much money off it.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #74 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 11:51pm

miketrees wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 10:10pm:

Phil, would you draw the line anywhere?

What about some of those synthetic cannabis ones that are bloody dangerous, Ice?

It's interesting actually. The government regulates a product proven to kill tens of thousands of people per year in this country alone.

Yet they ban a product like cannabis which in all of recorded history has killed a grand total of zero people.

Cigarettes kill more people then ice, cocaine and heroin combined.

When they say don't do drugs they must really mean, don't do those untaxed drugs.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print