Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
oh dem poor smokers... (Read 5229 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: oh dem poor smokers...
Reply #30 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:42am

Gnads wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:09am:
Gordon wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:24pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:14pm:

I've been to blackpool but that's not me and I don't smoke......tobacco

Ah but you do smoke ey?

What makes being a stoner any different?

Still doing something that can affect your health & those around you.

It's been years since I smoked pot regularly but even at my heaviest usage it was 2 or 3 joints a week.

That consumption would be inconsequential and probably indistinguishable from varying amounts of air pollution from one suburb to the next

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #31 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:43am

Set & Unsub.

Let's just agree that all fat smokers should be keeled.

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 10:48am

Setanta wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:57am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:11am:
I think you took a wrong turn down a one-way street at high speed. I am not a fan of smoking or cigarette smoke. But, unless I was blown smoke in my face on purpose, I would not take offense to be in the presence of cigarette smoke. I light up mosquito coils for under my house. But I don't stick around to breathe in the smoke. I just wish that smokers would respect my right to breathe clean air. I have much the same contempt for cars that spew carbon monoxide. But I don't go out of my way to breathe the fumes, either.

Twenty-nine years ago, cigarette smoke meant that Dad was around. He quit when I was 10 years old because he was worried that I was going to take up the habit. His quitting meant that we ate more food, because of his cravings, and because we could afford it. Are you worried about becoming a "lard arse" if you quit smoking? You seem to have an aversion to heavyweight people being around you. And had I started smoking, I am sure that I would be in a worse condition financially, not just physically, than what I as a non-smoker have become.

No, I don't blow smoke on people, I don't smoke near people that do not like it, I'm not a smoking nazi. I will respect peoples wishes. I don't smoke in our house, my son and DiL do not smoke, my granddaughter lives here.

No cars spew carbon monoxide after the introduction by law of catalytic converters in the '80s.

No, I'm not worried about becoming a lard arse if I stop smoking and going by your story above it seems just having more money made you a lard arse. I don't particularly like fat people, it's gross, it's ugly, it's unhealthy, it's inviting health costs not just to you but the wider community and you don't pay the costs other unhealthy habits cost their participants. Fat people freeload because it's so unkind to point out they're lard arses and you can't hurt their feelings.

quite a few contradictions there set.....sorry to say..

I dont  think there is much to choose from the over eater and the smoker...

what makes you think smokers dont cost us money?

what makes you think they are NOT ugly...the smell alone in very very UGLY...even if you so smoke aways from people... .... they still smell your breath   your hair your clothing....it clings to  everything..

your sense of smell is impeded  the nerves get paralised....so you do not smell another smokers.....

why do you think the govt goes out of its way to prevent people from smoking... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

thus far they are not hiding c hocolate and soft drinks under the counter... naughty food is still allowed to be advertised......

not smokes though.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Tongue Tongue

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 10:54am

"It has been estimated that, during a given year, smoking kills around 15,000 Australians and has significant social (including health) and economic costs—estimated at $31.5 billion in 2004–05" (Collins & Lapsley 2008).

https://www.aihw.gov.au/getmedia/9d29c844-57b0-4d68-808b-2dfd13aec28c/ah16-4-7-t...

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:49pm

both smoking and overeating  is an abomination....

each is up to the individual to fix...

most are waiting for an overnight cure all.. Grin Grin Grin Grin

if only..

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:47pm

is it too much to ask that I go to the shopping centre without having to walk through smoke from the arsewipes smoking just out the doorways?  Angry

****off you dirty mishrats...  Angry

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #36 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:56pm

Gnads wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:20am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 2:33am:
Bobby. wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 5:48pm:
People are now living too long because we're all too healthy.

It's time cigarettes were made and sold for $2 a packet so
that we won't have to pay people pensions for 30 years.

I think $2 a packet was what 70% of Australians were paying 40 years ago (relative to today's pricing) which was what kept the average age of dying 10 years lower than today.

It wasn't $2 a packet in the 70's. I was buying 2ozs of Drum or Bank rollie tobacco for 60 cents in 1972 - 73.

a 20 pack of tailor mades like B&H & Winfield was around 40 to 45 cents.

When I stopped smoking rollies it was 90cents per 2ozs.

Then days you didn't worry about people asking you for a smoke ... you gave them freely.

Wouldn't do that at the prices today.

It's been 41 years since I had a cigarette & I'm so glad I gave that stinking habit the flick.

What I meant by the "$2 a packet" comment was that the price would have been that amount in the 1970s. $2 a packet today would be about 50c back then. Roll your owns would be much cheaper (according to co-workers) than manufactured cigarettes.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:01pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:56pm:
Gnads wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:20am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 2:33am:
Bobby. wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 5:48pm:
People are now living too long because we're all too healthy.

It's time cigarettes were made and sold for $2 a packet so
that we won't have to pay people pensions for 30 years.

I think $2 a packet was what 70% of Australians were paying 40 years ago (relative to today's pricing) which was what kept the average age of dying 10 years lower than today.

It wasn't $2 a packet in the 70's. I was buying 2ozs of Drum or Bank rollie tobacco for 60 cents in 1972 - 73.

a 20 pack of tailor mades like B&H & Winfield was around 40 to 45 cents.

When I stopped smoking rollies it was 90cents per 2ozs.

Then days you didn't worry about people asking you for a smoke ... you gave them freely.

Wouldn't do that at the prices today.

It's been 41 years since I had a cigarette & I'm so glad I gave that stinking habit the flick.

What I meant by the "$2 a packet" comment was that the price would have been that amount in the 1970s. $2 a packet today would be about 50c back then. Roll your owns would be much cheaper (according to co-workers) than manufactured cigarettes.

my  dad died at 89...he smoked since he was 12.....

his fingers were black...it was like a crust on his thumb.......but the older he got the more he rolled his own....it saved him inhaling the chemicals in readymade ..my husband died of lung cancer wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy..

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #38 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:05pm

cods wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 10:48am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:11am:
I think you took a wrong turn down a one-way street at high speed. I am not a fan of smoking or cigarette smoke. But, unless I was blown smoke in my face on purpose, I would not take offense to be in the presence of cigarette smoke. I light up mosquito coils for under my house. But I don't stick around to breathe in the smoke. I just wish that smokers would respect my right to breathe clean air. I have much the same contempt for cars that spew carbon monoxide. But I don't go out of my way to breathe the fumes, either.

Twenty-nine years ago, cigarette smoke meant that Dad was around. He quit when I was 10 years old because he was worried that I was going to take up the habit. His quitting meant that we ate more food, because of his cravings, and because we could afford it. Are you worried about becoming a "lard arse" if you quit smoking? You seem to have an aversion to heavyweight people being around you. And had I started smoking, I am sure that I would be in a worse condition financially, not just physically, than what I as a non-smoker have become.

No, I don't blow smoke on people, I don't smoke near people that do not like it, I'm not a smoking nazi. I will respect peoples wishes. I don't smoke in our house, my son and DiL do not smoke, my granddaughter lives here.

No cars spew carbon monoxide after the introduction by law of catalytic converters in the '80s.

No, I'm not worried about becoming a lard arse if I stop smoking and going by your story above it seems just having more money made you a lard arse. I don't particularly like fat people, it's gross, it's ugly, it's unhealthy, it's inviting health costs not just to you but the wider community and you don't pay the costs other unhealthy habits cost their participants. Fat people freeload because it's so unkind to point out they're lard arses and you can't hurt their feelings.

what makes you think they are NOT ugly...the smell alone in very very UGLY...even if you so smoke aways from people... .... they still smell your breath   your hair your clothing....it clings to  everything..

your sense of smell is impeded  the nerves get paralised....so you do not smell another smokers.....

why do you think the govt goes out of its way to prevent people from smoking... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

thus far they are not hiding c hocolate and soft drinks under the counter... naughty food is still allowed to be advertised......

The difference between obese people and smokers is that an obese person can lose weight to a point where they are physically healthy after a year of healthy conditioning. A smoker can quit smokes, and a year later, they feel better in terms of health, get better sleep, lower heart problems, more money in their pocket from not spending on cigarettes. But the damage done to their body either take a long time to recover, or does not recover at all.

I happen to have put on weight due mainly to people pranking me by poisoning my water supply without my knowledge with chemicals that have lead to my weight gain. But if I can overlook that considerable reason for my health problems, I would say that having plenty of time for myself has lead to my regular drinking habits. I have hangover cures that include eating at fast food restaurants. I would go on record as saying that eating $40 worth of McDonalds over a few days (say 3 meals there in 3 days) is HEALTHIER than smoking a $40 packet of cigarettes.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #39 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:47am

cods wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:01pm:
my  dad died at 89...he smoked since he was 12.....

his fingers were black...it was like a crust on his thumb.......but the older he got the more he rolled his own....it saved him inhaling the chemicals in readymade ..my husband died of lung cancer wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy..

My great uncle died of lung cancer in his 70s. I remember watching him slowly take his smoker's cough through to retirement and then into a cancerous state. It is bad enough to see your maternal grandmother dying of cancer over a period of a year. But it would have been horrible to live through something like cancer of the lung.

My ex-girlfriend was a heroin junkie at 17 years of age. I helped her (along with her family and other friends) clean up her life. Ten years later, and after a few brief romances with her, I remember how she looked so radiant -- great legs, nice boobs, very pretty face, etc. She only had cigarette and beers. I was so schizophrenic at my last meeting with her, that I did not even recognise who she was. After being medicated, it was only a couple weeks that I had recovered enough to remember her. That was one of my "Oh damnit" moments. But that cigarette addiction she had was much preferable compared to the sickly figure she was in her teens.

It seems that my family, and extended family have taken up the no smoking rule without a fuss.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:19am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:05pm:
[quote author=WorldSacred link=1515800781/20#20 date=1515867114]I think you took a wrong turn down a one-way street at high speed. I am not a fan of smoking or cigarette smoke. But, unless I was blown smoke in my face on purpose, I would not take offense to be in the presence of cigarette smoke. I light up mosquito coils for under my house. But I don't stick around to breathe in the smoke. I just wish that smokers would respect my right to breathe clean air. I have much the same contempt for cars that spew carbon monoxide. But I don't go out of my way to breathe the fumes, either.

The difference between obese people and smokers is that an obese person can lose weight to a point where they are physically healthy after a year of healthy conditioning. A smoker can quit smokes, and a year later, they feel better in terms of health, get better sleep, lower heart problems, more money in their pocket from not spending on cigarettes. But the damage done to their body either take a long time to recover, or does not recover at all.

I happen to have put on weight due mainly to people pranking me by poisoning my water supply without my knowledge with chemicals that have lead to my weight gain. But if I can overlook that considerable reason for my health problems, I would say that having plenty of time for myself has lead to my regular drinking habits. I have hangover cures that include eating at fast food restaurants. I would go on record as saying that eating $40 worth of McDonalds over a few days (say 3 meals there in 3 days) is HEALTHIER than smoking a $40 packet of cigarettes.[/quote]

seriously unsub     that a daft way to look at health...

either is NOT HEALTHY...

you sound like you have lost your way.. hangovers drugs lung cancer.. obesity all in the one reply.....

come on mate dont dwell on all that rubbish...we are what we allow ourselves to be....think what you want to be tomorrow  if it means giving up sugar.... then thats what you must do....if you have a weight issue plus a sugar issue   you can lose limbs.. to diabetes..its not just smoking that can do that......we ban smokers here in ACT have done so for a looooong time.. its wonderful...funnily enough the most cig butts you find are outside the hospitals.....smokers are dirty... sorry guys but its true..

only my son smokes in my family  have 6 grandkids and so far none smoke....very very happy with that....all g,kids very health conscience.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #41 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:27am

cods wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:19am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:05pm:
[quote author=WorldSacred link=1515800781/20#20 date=1515867114]I think you took a wrong turn down a one-way street at high speed. I am not a fan of smoking or cigarette smoke. But, unless I was blown smoke in my face on purpose, I would not take offense to be in the presence of cigarette smoke. I light up mosquito coils for under my house. But I don't stick around to breathe in the smoke. I just wish that smokers would respect my right to breathe clean air. I have much the same contempt for cars that spew carbon monoxide. But I don't go out of my way to breathe the fumes, either.

I happen to have put on weight due mainly to people pranking me by poisoning my water supply without my knowledge with chemicals that have lead to my weight gain. But if I can overlook that considerable reason for my health problems, I would say that having plenty of time for myself has lead to my regular drinking habits. I have hangover cures that include eating at fast food restaurants. I would go on record as saying that eating $40 worth of McDonalds over a few days (say 3 meals there in 3 days) is HEALTHIER than smoking a $40 packet of cigarettes.[/quote]

seriously unsub     that a daft way to look at health...

either is NOT HEALTHY...

you sound like you have lost your way.. hangovers drugs lung cancer.. obesity all in the one reply.....

come on mate dont dwell on all that rubbish...we are what we allow ourselves to be....think what you want to be tomorrow  if it means giving up sugar.... then thats what you must do....if you have a weight issue plus a sugar issue   you can lose limbs.. to diabetes..its not just smoking that can do that......we ban smokers here in ACT have done so for a looooong time.. its wonderful...funnily enough the most cig butts you find are outside the hospitals.....smokers are dirty... sorry guys but its true..

only my son smokes in my family  have 6 grandkids and so far none smoke....very very happy with that....all g,kids very health conscience.

Codsy, when I was my daughters age, 11, we all couldn't wait to start drinking and smoking and I probably had a sneaky puff on a stolen ciggy by then.

On smoking my daughter said, I've put so much effort into training and getting fit and fast, why the hell would I want to destroy my health. Hope she sticks to this.

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:33am

sounds like she will gordy  kids are a lot better informed these days.. sand since the advertising stopped and they can only be sold under the counter.....I think its made a lot of difference.. in my day everyone smoked... in England we were even allowed to smoke in cinemas...crazy........ now they dont hide the damage it causes....its a shame they dont emphasise the damage drinking does like they did with smoking........drinking is more than just a health/social  hazard...

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #43 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:44am

cods wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:33am:
sounds like she will gordy  kids are a lot better informed these days.. sand since the advertising stopped and they can only be sold under the counter.....I think its made a lot of difference.. in my day everyone smoked... in England we were even allowed to smoke in cinemas...crazy........ now they dont hide the damage it causes....its a shame they dont emphasise the damage drinking does like they did with smoking........drinking is more than just a health/social  hazard...

I'm just old enough to remember the bad old days when smoking was considered cool and just about all of my mates smoked to some extent.

My daughter and all of her friends call anyone who smokes a loser. Mean but hope that attitude sticks.

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:53am

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print