Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
oh dem poor smokers... (Read 5210 times)
Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: oh dem poor smokers...
Reply #15 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 2:46am

It's OK to demonise smokers because of their choice, but don't you dare say a word about their religious choices and it's effects.
I smoke, it's my choice, it's legal, I've never had a "smoking related illness" or a day off work because of it. The tax I pay on tobacco pays for lard arses to get fatter and live with type2 diabetes at my expense. If I get lung cancer, I'll be dead real quick, yet the taxes I have paid will allow lard arses to continue living long after I have gone.

Sure, make it illegal, I have no problem with that at all, but while it is legal, get the f'ck off my back.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #16 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:00am

The amount of money you pay in taxes from cigarettes do not cover the expenses of lost revenue because we have to put out accidental arson. The health costs of people taking days off work because they have some kind of infection, or get sick more often than non-smokers because of a suppressed immune system. The money spent on cigarettes that could have gone to buying other things. The fact that you could pay off debts easier if you are a non-smoker.

Trust me, I went from being a weekly drinker in 2014 to a non-drinker in 2015. After being buried in debt, I managed to save my drinking money to pay off a credit card debt that was choking me. I went from spending $100 a month on credit card repayments to $200 a month and saving money still from not drinking. Perhaps smokers giving up smoking would see the same effect on their wallet.

Australia can do without cigarette tax if smokers quit smoking en masse.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #17 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:14am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:00am:
The amount of money you pay in taxes from cigarettes do not cover the expenses of lost revenue because we have to put out accidental arson. The health costs of people taking days off work because they have some kind of infection, or get sick more often than non-smokers because of a suppressed immune system. The money spent on cigarettes that could have gone to buying other things. The fact that you could pay off debts easier if you are a non-smoker.

Trust me, I went from being a weekly drinker in 2014 to a non-drinker in 2015. After being buried in debt, I managed to save my drinking money to pay off a credit card debt that was choking me. I went from spending $100 a month on credit card repayments to $200 a month and saving money still from not drinking. Perhaps smokers giving up smoking would see the same effect on their wallet.

Australia can do without cigarette tax if smokers quit smoking en masse.

I don't smoke(cigarettes) in bed, I don't flick butts out the window of my car, I have never taken a day off work because of any smoking related illness, I don't have asthma, I don't get colds or the flu. What I spend my money on is none of your concern.

Trust me, I know what the govt costs me and I'm still not in debt, I pay more in taxes for it than private health insurance. I don't need your moralising argument, leave me the f'ck alone to make my choices. Do you really understand how much tax I pay for the privilege? I've had two hospitalisations, one for gall bladder and one recently for pancreatitis, neither are smoking related. I've modified my diet to avoid any further pancreatitis.

Now tell me how much lard arses cost us?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #18 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:47am

Setanta wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:14am:

Not much. When I went about a dietary change and weight loss program, I did my darndest to just listen to other people about changing what it was I ate and to exercise more often. To date from 2015, I have spent over $200 on weight loss shakes and dietary pills in some desperate attempt to get a boost to help me with weight loss. I have also got my bike reconditioned to be able to ride and exercise in this small town. I go for walks and buy things to keep me hydrated. Just found out recently that they bumped up bottled water from $2 a bottle to $3, which means that I am paying heaps in helping shopping centres and stores profiting. I also eat at fast food outlets on rare occasions (especially in the last 3 months). But I know that my GST from those occasional purchases are going towards the government to spend on keeping smokers alive and compensate for all the wasted opportunities smokers cause.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/02/25/obesity-cost-in-australia_n_9199240....

$120 billion is the figure that the Huffington Post gives as the cost of being overweight/obesity in Australia. I bet a lot of the figure is exaggerated by the potential losses coming from what we could do as an entirely fit and healthy society, and not just from what we settle for as a 60% overweight/obese society. A lot of processed foods attract a GST to the costs of the product. But it is not like I am dying like a wounded beast from having a happy meal, like the costs of smokers have to their health.

I call bs on you not being part of the problem of elevated sickness levels. What you spend your money on is your business, I agree. But I would encourage you to quit smoking for the sake of your health and well-being. Lard arses might cost the country in a range of things. But we are not costing the community in blatant workplace absenteeism, accidental fires, nicotine rage, and not being able to buy things because of the need to waste money on burning sticks of chemically enhanced tobacco encased in paper for whatever benefit you find it does you.

Personally, I think that cigarette factories can do without adding the chemicals in cigarettes. I know it is for the purpose of making the cigarettes burning faster and decreasing the time it takes between smoke breaks because smokers do not get the full effect. But if there is some kind of compromise, there should be a reduction in most chemicals added to cigarettes.

Given that Australia is entering a decade where saturated fats in burgers and fast foods are going to be replaced by faster metabolising fats, it will not be long before we see a decrease in obesity from excess fat and sugar. So, I can hope that something can be done about making cigarettes either healthier or banned from purchase.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #19 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:59am

And... For you that say tobacco smoke is as bad as chemical weapons, one sniff and you are dead. You would let your kids sit around a campfire or wood BBQ without a second thought or even say it's good for them, you who would burn incense because it smells nice and not think twice if your kids caught a wiff of the smoke, well they are just as bad if not worse. A wiff of tobacco smoke is not going to do you or your kids any more harm than they do. You socially engineered muppets... Almost all plant matter burning gives off the same shyte.

Now, I would never say smoking is good for you, of course it's not, for the smoker, for you that may get a whiff and think your life is in danger, don't light candles or incense, don't have open fires, no BBQs etc unless you are total hypocrites about the danger of plant or other matter burning and giving off the chemicals they do.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #20 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:11am

I think you took a wrong turn down a one-way street at high speed. I am not a fan of smoking or cigarette smoke. But, unless I was blown smoke in my face on purpose, I would not take offense to be in the presence of cigarette smoke. I light up mosquito coils for under my house. But I don't stick around to breathe in the smoke. I just wish that smokers would respect my right to breathe clean air. I have much the same contempt for cars that spew carbon monoxide. But I don't go out of my way to breathe the fumes, either.

Twenty-nine years ago, cigarette smoke meant that Dad was around. He quit when I was 10 years old because he was worried that I was going to take up the habit. His quitting meant that we ate more food, because of his cravings, and because we could afford it. Are you worried about becoming a "lard arse" if you quit smoking? You seem to have an aversion to heavyweight people being around you. And had I started smoking, I am sure that I would be in a worse condition financially, not just physically, than what I as a non-smoker have become.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #21 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:13am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:47am:
Setanta wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:14am:

Not much. When I went about a dietary change and weight loss program, I did my darndest to just listen to other people about changing what it was I ate and to exercise more often. To date from 2015, I have spent over $200 on weight loss shakes and dietary pills in some desperate attempt to get a boost to help me with weight loss. I have also got my bike reconditioned to be able to ride and exercise in this small town. I go for walks and buy things to keep me hydrated. Just found out recently that they bumped up bottled water from $2 a bottle to $3, which means that I am paying heaps in helping shopping centres and stores profiting. I also eat at fast food outlets on rare occasions (especially in the last 3 months). But I know that my GST from those occasional purchases are going towards the government to spend on keeping smokers alive and compensate for all the wasted opportunities smokers cause.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/02/25/obesity-cost-in-australia_n_9199240....

$120 billion is the figure that the Huffington Post gives as the cost of being overweight/obesity in Australia. I bet a lot of the figure is exaggerated by the potential losses coming from what we could do as an entirely fit and healthy society, and not just from what we settle for as a 60% overweight/obese society. A lot of processed foods attract a GST to the costs of the product. But it is not like I am dying like a wounded beast from having a happy meal, like the costs of smokers have to their health.

I call bs on you not being part of the problem of elevated sickness levels. What you spend your money on is your business, I agree. But I would encourage you to quit smoking for the sake of your health and well-being. Lard arses might cost the country in a range of things. But we are not costing the community in blatant workplace absenteeism, accidental fires, nicotine rage, and not being able to buy things because of the need to waste money on burning sticks of chemically enhanced tobacco encased in paper for whatever benefit you find it does you.

Personally, I think that cigarette factories can do without adding the chemicals in cigarettes. I know it is for the purpose of making the cigarettes burning faster and decreasing the time it takes between smoke breaks because smokers do not get the full effect. But if there is some kind of compromise, there should be a reduction in most chemicals added to cigarettes.

Given that Australia is entering a decade where saturated fats in burgers and fast foods are going to be replaced by faster metabolising fats, it will not be long before we see a decrease in obesity from excess fat and sugar. So, I can hope that something can be done about making cigarettes either healthier or banned from purchase.

I have no idea what nicotine rage is.

I rarely get sick. I never get the flu or colds, I've not had bronchitis since I was a little kid, I don't and have never had asthma. I know it's hard to prove this but it's true. I never have had a flu shot, I worked at a school with all the "kid germs", as IT I was touching the keyboards the kids used every day, not sick once. I now work with the homeless, still don't get sick. The one day I took off was because I stayed up all night after one user account was compromised and I went over the entire system to make sure that was as far as they got. My one day off was due to lack of sleep.

My taxes have more than paid for the short time I will be in palliative care if I get lung cancer. It's pretty quick.

You lard arses on the other hand cost us every day of your lives.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #22 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:17am

I get sick once a year from all the interactions I have had with people. Aside from food poisoning, I don't think heavyweights are getting sick from fast food and taking the day off. Interesting that much of the food poisoning comes from people who like to take smoke breaks, and then rehandle food with partially washed hands.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #23 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:21am

Nicotine rage. Getting grouchy over not getting a nicotine fix.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #24 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:27am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:17am:
I get sick once a year from all the interactions I have had with people. Aside from food poisoning, I don't think heavyweights are getting sick from fast food and taking the day off. Interesting that much of the food poisoning comes from people who like to take smoke breaks, and then rehandle food with partially washed hands.

I volunteer in a kitchen to feed the homeless, they don't get food poisoning. I am almost always tasked with making the salad, you know uncooked stuff, no people sick. Blaming smokers for poor kitchen hygiene is bad form, I continually tell people to wash their hands after they have used their mobile or have left the kitchen, they don't think twice using the phone and going back to what they were doing, that's filthy. If you leave the kitchen, on your return, wash your hands, if you use your phone, wash your hands, if you (for the women) go to your handbag, wash your hands. Good kitchen hygiene has nothing to do with smokers in particular.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #25 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:35am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:21am:
Nicotine rage. Getting grouchy over not getting a nicotine fix.

Wouldn't that be an unnicotine rage? When I was in hospital recently with pancreatitis, I went 4 days with out a smoke, knocked back their patches. I didn't rage. I said, nah it's cool, don't need them, I smoke because I like it not because I have to. 10 years ago when I was in hospital for the gall bladder, same, nah, I'm fine.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #26 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:57am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:11am:
I think you took a wrong turn down a one-way street at high speed. I am not a fan of smoking or cigarette smoke. But, unless I was blown smoke in my face on purpose, I would not take offense to be in the presence of cigarette smoke. I light up mosquito coils for under my house. But I don't stick around to breathe in the smoke. I just wish that smokers would respect my right to breathe clean air. I have much the same contempt for cars that spew carbon monoxide. But I don't go out of my way to breathe the fumes, either.

Twenty-nine years ago, cigarette smoke meant that Dad was around. He quit when I was 10 years old because he was worried that I was going to take up the habit. His quitting meant that we ate more food, because of his cravings, and because we could afford it. Are you worried about becoming a "lard arse" if you quit smoking? You seem to have an aversion to heavyweight people being around you. And had I started smoking, I am sure that I would be in a worse condition financially, not just physically, than what I as a non-smoker have become.

No, I don't blow smoke on people, I don't smoke near people that do not like it, I'm not a smoking nazi. I will respect peoples wishes. I don't smoke in our house, my son and DiL do not smoke, my granddaughter lives here.

No cars spew carbon monoxide after the introduction by law of catalytic converters in the '80s.

No, I'm not worried about becoming a lard arse if I stop smoking and going by your story above it seems just having more money made you a lard arse. I don't particularly like fat people, it's gross, it's ugly, it's unhealthy, it's inviting health costs not just to you but the wider community and you don't pay the costs other unhealthy habits cost their participants. Fat people freeload because it's so unkind to point out they're lard arses and you can't hurt their feelings.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:09am

Gordon wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:24pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:14pm:

I've been to blackpool but that's not me and I don't smoke......tobacco

Ah but you do smoke ey?

What makes being a stoner any different?

Still doing something that can affect your health & those around you.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:20am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 2:33am:
Bobby. wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 5:48pm:
People are now living too long because we're all too healthy.

It's time cigarettes were made and sold for $2 a packet so
that we won't have to pay people pensions for 30 years.

I think $2 a packet was what 70% of Australians were paying 40 years ago (relative to today's pricing) which was what kept the average age of dying 10 years lower than today.

It wasn't $2 a packet in the 70's. I was buying 2ozs of Drum or Bank rollie tobacco for 60 cents in 1972 - 73.

a 20 pack of tailor mades like B&H & Winfield was around 40 to 45 cents.

When I stopped smoking rollies it was 90cents per 2ozs.

Then days you didn't worry about people asking you for a smoke ... you gave them freely.

Wouldn't do that at the prices today.

It's been 41 years since I had a cigarette & I'm so glad I gave that stinking habit the flick.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:37am

Setanta wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 2:46am:
It's OK to demonise smokers because of their choice, but don't you dare say a word about their religious choices and it's effects.
I smoke, it's my choice, it's legal, I've never had a "smoking related illness" or a day off work because of it. The tax I pay on tobacco pays for lard arses to get fatter and live with type2 diabetes at my expense. If I get lung cancer, I'll be dead real quick, yet the taxes I have paid will allow lard arses to continue living long after I have gone.

Sure, make it illegal, I have no problem with that at all, but while it is legal, get the f'ck off my back.

Quote:
My taxes have more than paid for the short time I will be in palliative care if I get lung cancer. It's pretty quick.

The shorter life spans and reduced quality of life associated with smoking result in a significant increase in total health care costs, not a decrease. The death is often drawn out. This is part of the justification for the high taxes. We see similar arguments for a junk food tax.

Quote:
I have no idea what nicotine rage is.

Quote:
leave me the f'ck alone to make my choices
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:48am by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print