Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Backpacker tax causes shortage of fruit pickers (Read 2722 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Backpacker tax causes shortage of fruit pickers
Reply #15 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:37pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:03pm:
Increasing taxes tends to discourage participation, we increased taxes on smokes and pre mixed alcoholic drinks to reduce consumption yet the dopey dim witted leftists think increasing taxes in a good thing.

Quote:
Fruit picking season in full swing but southern states struggle to find labour

The fruit picking season is well underway, but growers have been left short-handed and wondering where all the casual labour has gone.
Fruit growers in Victoria could have a shortfall of up to 3000 seasonal workers to pick their fruit.
Mike Crisera from Fruit Growers Victoria said the situation was a cause for concern.

Tonnes of fruit left to rot
In Tasmania, one berry farm has contacted Fruit Growers Tasmania looking for more labour after they had to leave hundreds of tonnes of fruit to rot on the ground because there were not enough pickers available.
Phil Pike, business development manager for Fruit Growers Tasmania, said the farmer was not alone.
"That's a challenge that we're hearing from across the state," Mr Pike said.

Backpacker tax an issue
"Certainly the backpacker tax and the reputational damage that that debacle did was forecast by us (and) by senior growers," Mr Pike said.
The tax was introduced by the Federal Government at the beginning of last year and taxes workers on working holiday visas 15 per cent on earnings above $37,000.

"When those second year visa-holders left, which was at the end of 2017, would the numbers of first-year visa holders for 2018-2019 be there? At this stage they aren't."

Mr Jennings was the strawberry grower from Cygnet who lost hundreds of tonnes of berries due to the shortage.
"There's just nowhere near enough people to go around at the moment," Mr Jennings said.
"We started picking mid-October. I would say the past eight weeks we would have been roughly about 80 people each day short of what we needed."
Despite advertising this week on the Tasmanian Agriculture Jobs website for extra pickers he said the response was nowhere near what would be needed to get the crop off.

"At this stage, it's possibly too late for us. In November and early December we would have lost about 300 tonnes of fruit just left to rot," he said

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-12/fruit-pickers-in-short-supply/9320256?smid...

Looks like they are being taxed less than the locals.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #16 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 9:05pm

freediver wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:37pm:
Increasing taxes tends to discourage participation, we increased taxes on smokes and pre mixed alcoholic drinks to reduce consumption yet the dopey dim witted leftists think increasing taxes in a good thing.

Quote:

The fruit picking season is well underway, but growers have been left short-handed and wondering where all the casual labour has gone.
Fruit growers in Victoria could have a shortfall of up to 3000 seasonal workers to pick their fruit.
Mike Crisera from Fruit Growers Victoria said the situation was a cause for concern.

In Tasmania, one berry farm has contacted Fruit Growers Tasmania looking for more labour after they had to leave hundreds of tonnes of fruit to rot on the ground because there were not enough pickers available.
Phil Pike, business development manager for Fruit Growers Tasmania, said the farmer was not alone.

Backpacker tax an issue
"Certainly the backpacker tax and the reputational damage that that debacle did was forecast by us (and) by senior growers," Mr Pike said.
The tax was introduced by the Federal Government at the beginning of last year and taxes workers on working holiday visas 15 per cent on earnings above $37,000.

"When those second year visa-holders left, which was at the end of 2017, would the numbers of first-year visa holders for 2018-2019 be there? At this stage they aren't."

Mr Jennings was the strawberry grower from Cygnet who lost hundreds of tonnes of berries due to the shortage.
"There's just nowhere near enough people to go around at the moment," Mr Jennings said.
"We started picking mid-October. I would say the past eight weeks we would have been roughly about 80 people each day short of what we needed."
Despite advertising this week on the Tasmanian Agriculture Jobs website for extra pickers he said the response was nowhere near what would be needed to get the crop off.

"At this stage, it's possibly too late for us. In November and early December we would have lost about 300 tonnes of fruit just left to rot," he said

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-12/fruit-pickers-in-short-supply/9320256?smid...

So why aren't they coming ?

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 9:08pm

Quote:

Backpacker tax an issue

Locals get the first $18K tax free these backpackers are paying 15% up to $37K then taxed at same rate.

It looks like they're paying more tax to me.  Smiley

Lots of fruit rotting away from shortage of fruit pickers, if we bankrupt our farmers we can import cheaper sh1t from China.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 9:35pm

Its time wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 9:05pm:

Quote:

Backpacker tax an issue

I once spent a summer in QLD picking watermelons. Now I mostly work in the aircon.

The tax may well be the reason for it, but that is not necessarily a valid reason for getting rid of the tax. We could also double our mining workforce overnight by letting in cheap tax-free labour, and the mining companies would whinge just like farmers when it was removed. But the local's salaries would go back up.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #19 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 9:46pm

freediver wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 9:35pm:
Its time wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 9:05pm:

Quote:

Backpacker tax an issue

I once spent a summer in QLD picking watermelons. Now I mostly work in the aircon.

The tax may well be the reason for it, but that is not necessarily a valid reason for getting rid of the tax. We could also double our mining workforce overnight by letting in cheap tax-free labour, and the mining companies would whinge just like farmers when it was removed. But the local's salaries would go back up.

To hot for ya princess ?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 8:04am

Not really. But the pay was crap. Too many backpackers around.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #21 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 8:26am

juliar wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 5:04pm:
Gee what an opportunity for the dole bludgers to get some self respect.

Why don't you have a go at it ? You could use some yourself ?

I am fairly sure that you could get to Tasmania, find accommodation and enjoy two weeks of work at the minimum wage if you are lucky to find someone paying that much. You probably won't go close to breaking even with being unemployed but what a great opportunity. (to spend money you don't have)
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2018 at 8:33am by Dnarever »  

IP Logged

hawil
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 8:13pm

freediver wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 8:04am:
Not really. But the pay was crap. Too many backpackers around.

I did sugar cane cutting, picked peaches in the Riverland and grapes in Mc Laren Vale, and what you say that the pay was crap is spot on, and some of the owners of the crop will rob you left right and centre, and being a Bloody New Australian myself, I found most New Australian owners were the worst. I think most posters here wouldn't know what they are talking about.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 8:52pm

More standard Lefty gloom and doom denial stuff from DNA.

IP Logged

hatman92

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:14pm

So why don;t Labor support tariffs?

Stop all this imported food, make everything grown here and processed here.
it will become some sort of utopia.  Of course food prices will rise as a result, but that is a good thing, more local money.

Labor should be 100% behind this idea.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #25 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:18pm

juliar wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 8:52pm:
More standard Lefty gloom and doom denial stuff from DNA.

I'll take that as a no - you are not going to take this marvellous opportunity.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #26 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:20pm

hatman92 wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:14pm:

it will become some sort of utopia.  Of course food prices will rise as a result, but that is a good thing, more local money.

Not sure what I messed in your logic but it is the Liberals who put on this tax ???

The Liberals undermine farmers and there is nothing their lapdog coalition partner can or will do about it.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:22pm

Dnarever wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:20pm:
Not sure what I messed in your logic but it is the Liberals who put on this tax ???

Yes. And Labor supported a tax on the backpackers. Labor and the unions don't want backpackers.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #28 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 10:21pm

Backpacker rorts cause shortage of fruit pickers

Now we've got it right.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #29 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 10:24pm

hatman92 wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:14pm:

Why would food prices rise?  The current produce is still in the international market.... more people would be earning money here if it was locally grown with all excess produce sent offshore, and thus market forces - according to those who push that line - should remain the same.

Economic theory and even economic fear-mongering are one thing - simple reality is another...

Production does not incur the greatest cost - the greatest cost goes to the middle men.... always has and always will.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print