Diving!!! (Read 4279 times)
Vulcan

Australian Politics

Diving!!!
Jan 12th, 2018 at 11:16am

Anyone Dive?

I know Hammer and FreeDiver 'dive'.
Anyone else?

If so - PM me and you are more than welcome to come down my part of the coast for some Diving.
I Dive through a nice cheap 'Privateer' operator - full air/nitrox set up for fills.
The operator is a superb self-taught naturalist and is used by Doco Companies: BBC, Japan and more.
Although she mostly does shore dives, she can spot stuff heaps more than most. Photographers love her for this.
Although she does teach beginners and cater to the weekend 'tourist' divers, she does cater to 'hobby' and more serious divers. A lot of 'experienced' divers go through her, rather than 'the shop' business (which is far more expensive).
There are many 'private' Divers who are more than willing to take you out on their boats as well (pay for petrol).
It's a nice 'private' set-up we all have here.

So if you're interested, give me a PM.

Even posts/questions about Diving. Just post them here as well and I will try to answer.
For the record - the term 'Privateer' kinda sums up a lot of Divers who have vast experience. Many have thousands of dives, are 'Tech Divers' who do deep and complicated dives...
...but are all still just PADI/SSI 'Advanced Open Water' certified. In other words - they didn't spend a lot of money just feeding PADI/SSI for certs that they didn't really need. They put their money into Diving where PADI/SSI don't go or can't go. It's the 'alternative' option, unless you do prefer to go through 'Shops' where they will charge you a fortune and put the hard sell on you to buy gear, stuff and do Cert courses galore.
I'm not 'anti-shop', but I do like the 'multiple options' available out there.

So, now you have it - a Topic on Diving!
Smiley Cool

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: Diving!!!
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 12:08pm

The number of divers who end up dead-in-the-water because of equipment failure, panic, disorientation, separation from group, left in the water, sharks, etc is on a roll-call at the end of each Australian summer.

You wouldn't see me down there if you paid me big money.

IP Logged

Vulcan

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 1:28pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 12:08pm:
The number of divers who end up dead-in-the-water because of equipment failure, panic, disorientation, separation from group, left in the water, sharks, etc is on a roll-call at the end of each Australian summer.

You wouldn't see me down there if you paid me big money.

Lol. Yes - you do get that sort of stuff happening. But its a very low percentage. It's mostly 'inexperienced tourism divers' under care of 'sausage factory' Tourism operators that things go pear shaped.  That's why I sometimes 'Solo' Dive. It teaches me to be self reliant (mindset,etc) - but the solo dive is always a more conservative dive than if I was with fellow Divers.
Don't worry about 'sharks' Herbie. That's why you carry a knife. So if a big shark comes along - you stab your buddy!  Wink  Cheesy
Proper training (official) and wisdom given by experienced divers (common sense) goes a long way.
Rebreathers can be gnarly - but if you stay on the ball with proper maintenance and operation, then all should be well.
It's usually 'freak' situations (the hand of God) or simple mistakes of neglection that cause accidents. Panic also makes a problem grow.
I know of a few divers that are 'gun-ho' or push the envelope and as always 'problems or stressful' situations arise. Adrenalin junkies don't help.

There are four (x4) forms or 'cultures' of Diving.
Commercial Diving: Highly paid 'work' Diving.
Free Diving: Physiology Diving, Spear Fishing (no scuba)
Technical Diving: expensive Exploration, Scientific diving
Recreational Diving: Cheaper basic Diving for fun and social

All four sometimes blend into one another to some extent.

I'm a Recreational Diver. My deepest is 69m on Air (under good conditions). I dive with divers who are both Recreational and Technical. I also 'Free-Dive', as do many Recreational & Technical Divers. Free-Diving is 'breath (Apnea) hold' diving. I can just do 20m deep for a breath. Even this takes a lot of training.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:28pm

I did a lot of diving but I had a progressively worsening gag reflex and it got to the point where I'd puke thru the reg nearly every dive. I just freedive these days. I'm a bit out of form on depth but my breath-hold ability is still pretty respectable.

IBI

IP Logged

Vulcan

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:37pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:28pm:
I did a lot of diving but I had a progressively worsening gag reflex and it got to the point where I'd puke thru the reg nearly every dive. I just freedive these days. I'm a bit out of form on depth but my breath-hold ability is still pretty respectable.

That's pretty good.
Occasionally I've had to puke underwater. I pull my reg out though to feed the fish. I'm a sucker for sea-sickness.
In fact, the SPAC Dive Club honoured me with an award for being a 'huge' vomiticulus achiever.
My avg FreeDive is just 10m. I snorkel often as I'm close to water. I especially enjoy it on those very hot days.
Diving on a hot day is great - go down 30m to a nicely 'chilled' 16C degrees and come out like a refrigerated wine bottle. Sure beats just splashing in the surf while still in the searing sun.

FreeDiving gives the ability to perform upon minimal oxygen consumption. It's different to the 'huff & puff' of most sporting activities. It's like the reversal of 'altitude training'. Some jobs I've done that are physical - people have commented on how I get around without looking 'puffed'. "you're not even breathing hard Jas!?"
It's all about 'relaxation' under exertion. It's about making the most of your oxygen usage, consumption and percentage.
I would recommend FreeDiving to anyone.
I've been up the Himalaya's too - its a similar experience doing something with very 'thin' air.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 3:44pm

Vulcan wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:37pm:
Gordon wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:28pm:

That's pretty good.
Occasionally I've had to puke underwater. I pull my reg out though to feed the fish. I'm a sucker for sea-sickness.
In fact, the SPAC Dive Club honoured me with an award for being a 'huge' vomiticulus achiever.
My avg FreeDive is just 10m. I snorkel often as I'm close to water. I especially enjoy it on those very hot days.
Diving on a hot day is great - go down 30m to a nicely 'chilled' 16C degrees and come out like a refrigerated wine bottle. Sure beats just splashing in the surf while still in the searing sun.

FreeDiving gives the ability to perform upon minimal oxygen consumption. It's different to the 'huff & puff' of most sporting activities. It's like the reversal of 'altitude training'. Some jobs I've done that are physical - people have commented on how I get around without looking 'puffed'. "you're not even breathing hard Jas!?"
It's all about 'relaxation' under exertion. It's about making the most of your oxygen usage, consumption and percentage.
I would recommend FreeDiving to anyone.
I've been up the Himalaya's too - its a similar experience doing something with very 'thin' air.

I was taught to keep the reg in, puke thru it then purge.
I've done at least 10m I reckon, I'll have to get back in form.

Distance wise, 60m was my best. World record without fins is 150m!!!

IBI

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:25pm

I like spearfishing close to shore and have surfed some spooky places, diving out in the middle of nowhere and coming face to face with a great white shark would not excite me at all, they say the one that gets you you will not see anyway.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:40pm

Johnnie wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:25pm:
I like spearfishing close to shore and have surfed some spooky places, diving out in the middle of nowhere and coming face to face with a great white shark would not excite me at all, they say the one that gets you you will not see anyway.

I went for a swim this arvo, it's been weedy and murky for ages but sort of looked a bit clearer today.

I swam about 250m into the bay and out of nowhere there was a big cloud of chopped up weed and sediment. The sun also popped behind a cloud and it was suddenly very dark.

There was a 3m whitey spotted right near there a few days ago and I totally got the heebeegeebees and smashed a guitar and swam outta there like a monkey with it's bum on fire.   Grin Grin

IBI

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:49pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:40pm:

I went for a swim this arvo, it's been weedy and murky for ages but sort of looked a bit clearer today.

I swam about 250m into the bay and out of nowhere there was a big cloud of chopped up weed and sediment. The sun also popped behind a cloud and it was suddenly very dark.

There was a 3m whitey spotted right near there a few days ago and I totally got the heebeegeebees and smashed a guitar and swam outta there like a monkey with it's bum on fire.   Grin Grin

That was probably the worst thing you could do, splashing around would only attract attention, you may have been lucky in this instance, i know about the heebeegeebees and trust the hairs on the back of your neck, you were like burley. learn from your mistakes sonny.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:53pm

Johnnie wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:49pm:

That was probably the worst thing you could do, splashing around would only attract attention, you may have been lucky in this instance, i know about the heebeegeebees and trust the hairs on the back of your neck, you were like burley. learn from your mistakes sonny.

My objective was to get out of the dark patch asap Smiley

IBI

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 9:01pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:53pm:

You may have appeared like the young or weak stray, easy pickings for the predators, 250 meters out is risking it a bit without a spear or a flotation device, not that would probably help.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #11 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 9:15pm

Johnnie wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 9:01pm:

You may have appeared like the young or weak stray, easy pickings for the predators, 250 meters out is risking it a bit without a spear or a flotation device, not that would probably help.

I don't want to get eaten by a shark but Im happy to take the risk as for me not spending a lot of time in the ocean is a life not worth living.

I've been in a few freaky situations tho!

IBI

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 8:28am

I've only been scuba diving once, in Vanuatu. It seems a bit like taking a bicycle up a mountain. On a good day I'll spend 6 or 8 hours in the water, waiting for a mackerel to swim past.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:16pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 9:15pm:
Johnnie wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 9:01pm:

I don't want to get eaten by a shark but Im happy to take the risk as for me not spending a lot of time in the ocean is a life not worth living.

I've been in a few freaky situations tho!

NSW (Eastern Coast) Great Whites aren't as dangerous as the SA/WA breed of Great White. Although they 'intermingle' down in the Bass Strait. They don't 'inter-breed'.
My theory on why WA/SA Great Whites are more 'bitey' and dangerous is because they are the 'Apex' predator. In the Tasman sea there are a lot of ORCA and I think they keep those Great Whites ...'humble' as #2 on the ranking. Same around New Zealand. Although there are ORCA in the Great Australian Bight - I don't think there are as many to 'dominate' those Great Whites. Though there is a good story/clip somewhere of how from a Chopper, they witnessed an Orca male leave his 'pod' that was being tailed by a big 5m Great White. The Male Orca dived down deep then gave the Great White a taste of its own medicine by shooting up and 'smashing' the Great White from below. Killed it instantly!
Now that's one aquatic beast I would not mess with - ORCA.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:18pm

freediver wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 8:28am:
I've only been scuba diving once, in Vanuatu. It seems a bit like taking a bicycle up a mountain. On a good day I'll spend 6 or 8 hours in the water, waiting for a mackerel to swim past.

There's a good dive in Vanuatu - the Wreck known as the President Coolidge.

8 hours in the water FD - I'm impressed!

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print