Pine Box (Read 2414 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Pine Box
Reply #15 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:38am

Is this funeral company racist?

Reckon a company called blackmanfunerals would do well?

https://www.whiteladyfunerals.com.au/about-us/white-lady-promise

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:46am

Aussie wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:35am:
$1,700.00 just to hire the thing for a couple of hours?

Well, it would be for a few days but yeah, the funeral industry is full of rip-offs.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:54am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:46am:

Well, it would be for a few days but yeah, the funeral industry is full of rip-offs.

Why a few days.  If someone was after a viewing in the expensive box, they'd just bung the body in it for that viewing period, and then out into whatever.

Just had a look a a floor plan of a crematorium.  When the coffin moves out of sight and disappears through the curtain, it arrives in a transition room.  The buggers could do anything there, as it is out of sight.  Change the box or whatever.  I'm also told that they do not necessarily fire up then and there, and often will wait until they can burn several one after the other to keep powerup etc costs down.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2018 at 1:22pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 12:21pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:54am:
Why a few days.  If someone was after a viewing in the expensive box, they'd just bung the body in it for that viewing period, and then out into whatever.

Sometimes they're available for viewings for a week or more.

So, they might need to roll out the expensive coffin quite a few times.

The price you pay compensates them for moving the body in and out of the fridge, dusting off the fancy coffin, etc.

Aussie wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:54am:
Just had a look a a floor plane a crematorium.  When the coffin moves out of site and disappears through the curtain, it arrives in a transition room.  The buggers could do anything there, as it is out of sight.  Change the box or whatever.  I'm also told that they do not necessarily fire up then and there, and often will wait until they can burn several one after the other to keep powerup etc costs down.

Yep, that's right.

They quite often store the bodies until they have a half a dozen or so to do.

They rarely fire up the oven for just one body.

And yes, they can do anything back there.

At the very least, they remove the brass handles, but it's not uncommon to put the bodies into a cardboard or thin pine coffin.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:58pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 10:58am:
Aussie wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 10:51am:
Naughty.

However, why spend money on a thing that will be incinerated?

Exactly.

And why would anyone care about it?

Better to reuse the coffin, than waste something someone has spent hours making.

I thought everyone knew that the bodies were put into cheaper boxes for the cremation.

The expensive one is purely for show.

its news to me..I have heard of them taken off handles and such.. but asking for $1700 and then swapping it for a $70 one..

no never heard of that......

that cant be right at all...

I have always thought the ashes were very suss...... but what the hell can you do about it?>..

but the coffin con   yes we should be able to stop that.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 5:00pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:38am:
Is this funeral company racist?

Reckon a company called blackmanfunerals would do well?

https://www.whiteladyfunerals.com.au/about-us/white-lady-promise

sexist maybe   they are all Ladies involved but I dont think they only cater for females

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 5:15pm

Rang elder Brother when I saw this story to check if he had any suspicions when our parents were cremated. As the elder Brother, he was in charge of all that.  Neither he nor I were advised of any practice like this, but neither of us can point a finger, because it never occurred to us to check.  He then told me about the funeral of the Mother of a mate of his.  In her Will, she stipulated she wanted go out in a cardboard box, so, the Son obliged.  There the Son is, in the funeral column of cars right behind the Hearse going to wherever, the box falls apart and there is Mum rolling around in the back of the Hearse!

Jayzuz!

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #22 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 5:24pm

When you're dead you're dead, so exactly what difference does it make what they actually cremate you in?

For the sake of the relatives, friends, and onlookers offering them solace by the deceased going through that curtain in a nice shiny casket with nice shiny handles is fair enough...........If you don't want that or can't afford it, look for a cut-price funeral outfit....... Undecided

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:20pm

Nifty footwork!  I don't buy it.  Who cares if it cracks in the cold room?  It's gonna be burned, isn't it?

Link.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:27pm

Fuzzball wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 5:24pm:
When you're dead you're dead, so exactly what difference does it make what they actually cremate you in?

For the sake of the relatives, friends, and onlookers offering them solace by the deceased going through that curtain in a nice shiny casket with nice shiny handles is fair enough...........If you don't want that or can't afford it, look for a cut-price funeral outfit....... Undecided

Agreed.

Hire the fancy coffin for the viewing, and burn the body in a cheap cardboard box.

Nothing wrong with that.

It's such a waste to destroy a well-crafted oak coffin.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:39pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:27pm:

Agreed.

Hire the fancy coffin for the viewing, and burn the body in a cheap cardboard box.

Nothing wrong with that.

Yes.  In fact, why do they need a box at all when it goes in the oven?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:41pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:39pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:27pm:

Agreed.

Nothing wrong with that.

Yes.  In fact, why do they need a box at all when it goes in the oven?

Exactly.

I was thinking that as I typed my last reply.

I suppose it makes it less traumatic for the person operating the oven.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #27 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:48pm

This is not clear from the schmedia, but reading between the lines, and just taking days as an example to make the point.

Grandma had her funeral on Monday, and disappeared through the crematorium screen that day in the oak box.  Family were told she would not be burned until Wednesday so they ask for a final viewing on Tuesday.

Monday afternoon, Grandma is moved into the pine box and put in the fridge.  The oak one not used in case it 'cracks.'  (Really?)

So, Family arrives on Tuesday for a final look, and she is still in the pine coffin with the Funeral Directors having every intention to bung her back in the oak box for Wednesday's burning.

Yes.

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #28 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:49pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:46am:

No reason - people are dying to get into it.......

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:50pm

It would really piss the Funeral Directors off if, when the oak box was bought, someone carved their name on it.  "Re-sell that, you Bastard!"

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print