Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22
Send Topic Print
You are Australian if.... (Read 19783 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: You are Australian if....
Reply #90 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:14pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 9:44am:
philperth2010 wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 9:42am:
Grendel wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 8:45am:
Lol got it arse about eh phil...  typical.
I've been over this crap many times already..  bwian gets shotdown regularly on just this point and did just the other day by several people not just me.
It aint rocket science phil.
let me try to put it simply for you...
being born here or having a certificate may make you AN Australian but it doesn't make you Australian.
hope that clears things up for you.

ps.  If I was trolling and flaming YOU phil, I would be rude and discourteous and call you dickhead etc like you do me ...  all the time.

I disagree and so does the law....Who sets these values that you claim makes you an Australian???

Huh Huh Huh

First you are accepted as an Apprentice Australian, then you have to learn the ropes... those ropes are called assimilation..... failure to apply yourself diligently and pass the tests makes you an apprentice for life or a failed Australian..... pretty simple really.

Who sets the "tests", Graps?  How are the "tests" marked?  Who marks them?   Where are they conducted?

Sounds to me like you're setting arbitrary values to these "tests" which a native born Australian doesn't have to ever face.   Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #91 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:15pm

Has she ever?  Has any Sovereign rejected a Government's selection?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #92 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:29pm

Auggie wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:17pm:
You support the following values:

1) Separation of Church and State;

2) Freedom of Speech (the narrowest interpretation of it);

3) Equality for Women;

4) Equality for minorities;

5) Freedom to practise your religion without fear of violence;

Australia culture is your core culture, with your ethnic background taking a peripheral role.

You are an Australian citizen.

Your loyalty is to the Queen, Union Jack and country.

You believe that the Indigenous peoples of the Australian continent have been wronged by BOTH Australian government and the British;

You support the institutions of parliamentary democracy; common law; and separation of powers.
------
If you do not support any one of the above, you are not Australian.

That rules out: Aussie, Grappler, Setanta, Brian Ross, philperth et al. Sorry guys, you're not Australian.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

You're not tinted.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #93 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:37pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:15pm:
Has she ever?  Has any Sovereign rejected a Government's selection?

The Palace, on several occasions has questioned the Government's choice of GG.  Sir Isaac Isaacs when nominated the Palace asked if he was the best choice for the position.   He was Jewish and Australian.   Obviously, his religion was seen as an impediment.   Sir John Kerr acted illegally and when the PM attempted to have him dismissed, he had to appeal to the Palace to have it done.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #94 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:42pm

Quote:
Sir John Kerr acted illegally and when the PM attempted to have him dismissed, he had to appeal to the Palace to have it done.

Over simplification there Mr Ross.  By then Kerr and dismissed Whitlam and appointed Frazer as PM.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #95 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 5:28pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:07pm:
Auggie wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 11:41pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 5:42pm:
Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Poor, poor, Augie.   I have never pledged allegiance to a foreign naval flag.   I have pledged my allegiance to the Australian flag.   There is a considerable difference between the two.   What a shame you don't recognise it.  Silly, silly, boy.   

Really? So, the Union Jack being on our flag has no significance at all??

We do not have a Naval flag on our flag, Augie.   As I've said, when you learn the difference between the two, then we can talk.

Quote:
Brian Ross wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 5:47pm:
Sure of that, Augie?  Who ultimately chooses the Governor-General?   Tsk, tsk.   

The Prime Minister does.

No, ultimately the Queen of the UK does.   She has to approve the Government's choice.  She can always refuse it.    Roll Eyes

LOL
Told you Auggie...  tricky and disingenuous.
When was the PMs choice ever refused by the Queen bwian?
We have a Constitutional Monarchy don't we bwian. Cheesy

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #96 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 7:10pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:42pm:
Quote:
Sir John Kerr acted illegally and when the PM attempted to have him dismissed, he had to appeal to the Palace to have it done.

Over simplification there Mr Ross.  By then Kerr and dismissed Whitlam and appointed Frazer as PM.

Kerr consulted others than the PM about what his options were.  Kerr did dismiss Whitlam but the process at which that was arrived as a decision was illegal.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

capitosinora
Gold Member

Australian Politics

USA Florida
Reply #97 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 7:23pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:42pm:
Quote:

Was it Kerr or his boss Queen. If Kerr did it without her approval why she didn't dismiss him?
But more or less the point is why she (or he) did it.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

IP Logged

capitosinora
Gold Member

Australian Politics

USA Florida
Reply #98 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 7:25pm

Grendel wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 1:49pm:
capitosinora wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 8:47am:
Bobby. wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:22pm:
You are Australian if time spent drinking beer
and playing pool with your mates is more important than time with your wife and kids.

I guess this is an essential definition of Australian culture.
Everything else is still British.

Suggested reading Convict Creations...

Well obviously convict creators are still in charge.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #99 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 6:53am

Just read the site you need the education.
Stop wasting my time when I'm trying to help you.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #100 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:05am

capitosinora wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 8:41am:
Auggie wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:17pm:
You support the following values:

1) Separation of Church and State;

2) Freedom of Speech (the narrowest interpretation of it);

3) Equality for Women;

4) Equality for minorities;

5) Freedom to practise your religion without fear of violence;

Australia culture is your core culture, with your ethnic background taking a peripheral role.

You are an Australian citizen.

Your loyalty is to the Queen, Union Jack and country.

You believe that the Indigenous peoples of the Australian continent have been wronged by BOTH Australian government and the British;

You support the institutions of parliamentary democracy; common law; and separation of powers.
------
If you do not support any one of the above, you are not Australian.

That rules out: Aussie, Grappler, Setanta, Brian Ross, philperth et al. Sorry guys, you're not Australian.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

So being Australian is actually a British or loyal subject to colonial Britain.
Goodness me what a confused "nation".

Shocked Sad Roll Eyes

Not at all, Yankee. We are a self-governing Dominion under the crown of the U.K.  and proud of it. There are subtleties, Cap, which you fail to understand. As do most Australians.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #101 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:06am

Grendel wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 5:28pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:07pm:
Auggie wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 11:41pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 5:42pm:
Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Poor, poor, Augie.   I have never pledged allegiance to a foreign naval flag.   I have pledged my allegiance to the Australian flag.   There is a considerable difference between the two.   What a shame you don't recognise it.  Silly, silly, boy.   

Really? So, the Union Jack being on our flag has no significance at all??

We do not have a Naval flag on our flag, Augie.   As I've said, when you learn the difference between the two, then we can talk.

Quote:
Brian Ross wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 5:47pm:
Sure of that, Augie?  Who ultimately chooses the Governor-General?   Tsk, tsk.   

The Prime Minister does.

No, ultimately the Queen of the UK does.   She has to approve the Government's choice.  She can always refuse it.    Roll Eyes

LOL
Told you Auggie...  tricky and disingenuous.
When was the PMs choice ever refused by the Queen bwian?
We have a Constitutional Monarchy don't we bwian. Cheesy

Tricky indeed. Brian can’t backpedal from this one.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #102 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 8:45am

capitosinora wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 12:29pm:
Gnads wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 10:39am:
capitosinora wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 10:11am:
Gnads wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 9:52am:
capitosinora wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 9:08am:
Bertie wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 5:59pm:
The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 5:36pm:
Bertie wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 5:23pm:
The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:17pm:
mozzaok wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 11:46am:
Multi-ethnic populations are something I have no problem with at all, but the ones who put their historical culture ABOVE the australian culture, should get the arse. F off back there if ya love it so bloody much you maintain it's beliefs and cultural practices instead of adopting the australian culture.

And what is the "Australian Culture"? (if it even exists)
I don't binge drink on weekends or obsess over cars.
Does that mean that I'm not adopting Australian Culture?

You cannot seriously believe what you are suggesting. By this measure only robotic clones have a culture because they behave identically.

How do you recognise any culture? By signs of the most commonplace cliches and stereotypes?

I'm not the one who brought up Australian culture, mozzaok did.
I don't think anyone has actually described what Australian Culture is.
It just seems to be a useful euphemism to describe what tinted people arn't

Does any country have its own culture? Of course.
Does France have a culture? China? Vietnam, Indonesia, Argentina, Brazil, etc? Why question only Australia's culture? I don't see the logic.

There is a logic. Because you don't know what a culture is.
You don't have a culture because you expelled and hated the best Art critic ever Robert Hughes, then you expelled and hated painter like Geffry Smart and son and so on.
You don't need a culture you have a Bear and Barbie that's enough to be cultured for you.

And what culture do you Septics have?

You're a nation of immigrants as well. Roll Eyes

That the point we are the nation with developed national and cultural identity because we got rid of British colonial rule what you haven't done yet and that's why you are still a negligible  British colony without own head of state and even own flag with "Small dog syndrome" or "Small puppet syndrome"? The great intellectual who was expelled from Australia and lived in US for more than 50 years wrote about his "country" of birth: "Australia is spaciously huge, culturally tiny and politically insignificant".

You still celebrate British Queen and British flag, British princesses and so on and as long as you do that you will remain a colony without national and cultural identity.
By the way in US we are all Americans and don't have closet poms as British nationalists.

That's what you think.

And as usual you display the typical "so full of yourself" septic personna.

You have nothing to be proud of as to breaking free of British Colonial rule. You live in a dog eat dog cultutre & where your politicians either get assassinated by or are bought by the ruling elite who really run your country.

Your Presidents are just puppets.

Oh did I mention your tendency to be hypocrites? Roll Eyes

Anglosaxons are not privileged in America.

BS .. your Affirmative Action/Black Lives Matter/ African American Associations, Rev Al Sharpton, Michelle Obama & even Oprah Winfrey & certain other black celebrities all bang on about "white"Anglo-saxon privilege in the US.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #103 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 9:14am

Australian Egalitarianism....

Australians have a well developed sense of what is known as the Tall Poppy Syndrome.  Unlike other cultures like that of the US where celebrity is worshipped, Australians favour the more humble, the more even handed, level headed.  The Quiet Achievers. Stick your head above the parapet and blow your own horn, big noting yourself etc is frowned upon.  Australians will quickly bring you back down to Earth. The origins of this behaviour can be traced back to the convict past where when creating the new society the British class system and airs and graces were frowned upon and eschewed.
Australians still recognise achievement and success, just don't try to lord it over others.

Other references...  Tall-poppy Syndrome

Quote:
Exactly what the tall-poppy syndrome refers to has been a subject of debate. What can’t be debated is that anyone who seems to demonstrate that they are superior to others will probably be attacked. For example, someone who drives a Mercedes to show their wealth will probably find that their car frequently gets scratched. Someone who boasts about their achievements will frequently find themselves subjected to cynical or sarcastic remarks. Any politician that tries to portray themselves as more moral than others will find people on the lookout for skeletons in their closet.

Quote:
The tall poppy syndrome (TPS) is a pejorative term primarily used in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and other Anglosphere nations to describe a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers.

Australia and New Zealand’s usage of the term has evolved and is not uniformly negative. In Australia, a long history of “underdog” culture and profound respect for humility in contrast to that of Australia’s English feudal heritage results in a different understanding of “Tall poppy syndrome”.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2018 at 9:45am by Grendel »  

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #104 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 9:18am

Grendel wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 9:14am:
Australian Egalitarianism....

Australians have a well developed sense of what is known as the Tall Poppy Syndrome.  Unlike other cultures like that of the US where celebrity is worshipped, Australians favour the more humble, the more even handed, level headed.  The Quiet Achievers. Stick your head above the parapet and blow your own whistle, big noting yourself etc is frowned upon.  Australians will quickly bring you back down to Earth. The origins of this behaviour can be traced back to the convict past where when creating the new society the British class system and airs and graces were frowned upon and eschewed.
Australians still recognise achievement and success, just don't try to lord it over other.

Other references...  Tall-poppy Syndrome

Quote:
Exactly what the tall-poppy syndrome refers to has been a subject of debate. What can’t be debated is that anyone who seems to demonstrate that they are superior to others will probably be attacked. For example, someone who drives a Mercedes to show their wealth will probably find that their car frequently gets scratched. Someone who boasts about their achievements will frequently find themselves subjected to cynical or sarcastic remarks. Any politician that tries to portray themselves as more moral than others will find people on the lookout for skeletons in their closet.

Quote:
The tall poppy syndrome (TPS) is a pejorative term primarily used in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and other Anglosphere nations to describe a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers.

Australia and New Zealand’s usage of the term has evolved and is not uniformly negative. In Australia, a long history of “underdog” culture and profound respect for humility in contrast to that of Australia’s English feudal heritage results in a different understanding of “Tall poppy syndrome”.

Yep about right.

Nearly all Tall Poppys in the US

hard to find a Shrinking Violet over there. Grin Wink

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22
Send Topic Print