Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22
Send Topic Print
You are Australian if.... (Read 20108 times)
philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Re: You are Australian if....
Reply #210 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 2:09pm

Grendel wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 1:52pm:
Grendel wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 1:25pm:
Australian rules football was first organised in Victoria in 1859 when its rules were codified by the Melbourne Football Club.

Grendel ranted....
Quote:
until most recently it was a Victorian Sport.

Quote:
The WAFL was founded in 1885 as the West Australian Football Association (WAFA)

Originally formed as the South Australian Football Association on 30 April 1877, the SANFL is the oldest surviving football league of any code in Australia

So over 100 years in WA and SA and you claim until recently it was a Victorian sport....You are wrong aren't you dickhead???

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #211 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 2:11pm

Grendel wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 1:15pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 11:35am:
Grendel wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 11:19am:
Quote:
The Australian Football League (AFL) is the pre-eminent professional competition in the sport of Australian rules football. Through the AFL Commission, the AFL also serves as the sport's governing body, and is responsible for controlling the laws of the game. The league was founded as the Victorian Football League (VFL) as a breakaway from the previous Victorian Football Association (VFA), with its inaugural season commencing in 1897. Originally comprising only teams based in the Australian state of Victoria, the competition's name was changed to the Australian Football League for the 1990 season, after expanding to other states throughout the 1980s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Football_League

Grendel ranted....
Quote:
until most recently it was a Victorian Sport.

The South Australian league is the oldest in Australia....Claiming it was only a Victorian sport until recently is bullshit isn't it???

Quote:
The WAFL was founded in 1885 as the West Australian Football Association (WAFA)

Originally formed as the South Australian Football Association on 30 April 1877, the SANFL is the oldest surviving football league of any code in Australia

Keep digging troll boy....You have still not explained how it was racist???

I'm sorry phil would it help if I used a
bigger
font?
I know how parochial AFL supporters can be...
So where is AFL administered from again?
What state has the most teams?
The list goes on and on phil... 
The only digging I do keep burying you. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I made my point re you and your "white maggots" phil...  Gnads got it...  my guess is that except for your fellow TROLLS everyone else got it too. Roll Eyes

Aussie rules existed before the AFL you idiot....Or do you believe it was only in Victoria until the AFL was formed dickhead???

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #212 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 2:16pm

As a victorian who followed football religiously, until the VFL became the AFL, I can tell you Victoria was the home of footy, it's spiritual heartland if you will.
We even let the more talented chaps from "other" states, come and have a go, in the "BIG" League.

So whilst Scottish people may have bats and balls, do remember, it still aint exactly cricket, old boy.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #213 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 2:19pm

philperth2010 wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 10:11am:
Gnads wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 9:36am:
philperth2010 wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 9:11am:
Gnads wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:48am:
philperth2010 wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:46pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:43pm:
"I wouldn't mind seeing the Umps back in white, simply so I can call them 'White Maggots' again".

"Ive gotta funny feeling these new colours are to stop the 'kids' from yelling out 'white maggot' and other similar stuff. This is the AFL you know".

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-death-of-the-white-umpire-guernsey.71...

Poor goose    Grin

I am still waiting for it to explain how my comment was racist....It is completely clueless!!!

And you're calling people clueless?

You yell out "white maggot" at a match of NRL, AFL, NFL anywhere today & it will be construed as a racist remark.

That's why it was purged from AFL vernacular.

You should adhere to your PC ideology.

Bullshit....It is considered inappropriate but in no way racist....It refers to the uniform and has nothing to do with race....Explain how it is racist you idiot???

I would also like to point out that I never yelled out the comment at a football game I originally posted it as banter to Bobby in jest....You dickheads are trying to make it something it isn't because you are either stupid or trolling....My guess is both!!!

You seem to be the clueless one.

I got your point re: it referring to the uniform & that in the day that was not racist.

You didn't get my point re: yelling that out today.

There's been quite a few occasions you fling the bigot/racist card at people just because they offer a critique of certain subject matter .... in fact it's just about your stock standard response ad infinitum ...

making out it's something that it's not

just like a few others here. Roll Eyes

I smell a slow done hypocrite.

However I did not yell it out at a football match did I....Does this mean the All Blacks are also a racist team because the term refers to their uniform dickhead???

Huh Huh Huh

How the ferg would I know ... you're telling the story & you didn't specify.

They're not the NZ All Black Maggots are they? ...that's never been listed in Rugby Union vernacular.............. you're clutching at straws.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #214 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 2:49pm

mozzaok wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 2:16pm:
As a victorian who followed football religiously, until the VFL became the AFL, I can tell you Victoria was the home of footy, it's spiritual heartland if you will.
We even let the more talented chaps from "other" states, come and have a go, in the "BIG" League.

So whilst Scottish people may have bats and balls, do remember, it still aint exactly cricket, old boy.

I'm a Victorian too and when I lived in Melbourne, all you heard about, nightly on TV, was "Aussie Rules" and it was the VFL back then.  Collingwood, along with Essendon, Fitzroy, Geelong, Melbourne, Carlton and St Kilda were the first teams competing, way back in the 1800s. The rest of them came later (1900s).

I never heard the Umpires called "white maggots" ...

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #215 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 3:01pm

We did indeedncall umpees white maggots, I also frequently used the expression, 'ya bloody big ape',
and get off him ya mug, are ya tackling or trying to shag him.
Are the joys of yobdom in the outer.
I was about 8 at the time, I think.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #216 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 4:43pm

mozzaok wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 1:44pm:
You are all wrong.
Aboriginals invented footy.The first settlers saw tribes of natives kicking a stuffed possum skin around a field, and they scored bykicking it between two gumtrees.

I shirt you not, that along with an old black and white photo of two gum trees on the edge of a field was in a display of "INDIGENOUS HISTORY", that I went to in the 1990's in Collingwood.

This is why I have the degree of respect I hold for "oral" history.
When I was a younger man that frequented pubs, I heard quite a few tales from the "getusabeer, gotusasmoke" mob. They were a tribe prevalent in inner city melbourne for a long time.

If you ever found them annoying, one phrase would always have a salutory effect.
I've got a job for you.

Are you bullshitting us?

The Progressive President

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #217 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 5:46pm

Auggie wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 4:43pm:
mozzaok wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 1:44pm:
You are all wrong.
Aboriginals invented footy.The first settlers saw tribes of natives kicking a stuffed possum skin around a field, and they scored bykicking it between two gumtrees.

I shirt you not, that along with an old black and white photo of two gum trees on the edge of a field was in a display of "INDIGENOUS HISTORY", that I went to in the 1990's in Collingwood.

This is why I have the degree of respect I hold for "oral" history.
When I was a younger man that frequented pubs, I heard quite a few tales from the "getusabeer, gotusasmoke" mob. They were a tribe prevalent in inner city melbourne for a long time.

If you ever found them annoying, one phrase would always have a salutory effect.
I've got a job for you.

Are you bullshitting us?

No, I promise you on my daughters life, the only thing I consider sacred in this whole world, that every word is true.
Not that it realy happened, with the gumtrees and possum skin, that is just more aboriginal bullshirt that the poor buggers make up to try and feel legitimised, or whyever they talk crap.
It was though in an Indigenous exhibition in Smith St Collingwood, 25 years or so ago, along with more similiarly inventive stuff. There was real stuff too, they seemed to truly believe all of it.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #218 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 5:51pm

So, you have moved from:

Quote:

To:

Quote:
Not that it realy happened, with the gumtrees and possum skin, that is just more aboriginal bullshirt that the poor buggers make up to try and feel legitimised, or whyever they talk crap.
It was though in an Indigenous exhibition in Smith St Collingwood, 25 years or so ago, along with more similiarly inventive stuff. There was real stuff too, they seemed to truly believe all of it.

"On your daughter's life."

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #219 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 6:05pm

bugger me, you know you are dealing with idiotic exeptionalism when you believe that amongst all the worlds people's aboriginals were the only ones who kicked or threw a ball through a target as a scored game.

It's as silly as morons claiming that aboriginals discovered aeronautics because they made a boomerang.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #220 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 6:39pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 5:51pm:
So, you have moved from:

Quote:

To:

Quote:

"On your daughter's life."

Stop being a dikhed aussie.
It's the same thing.
An Aboriginal exhibition, set up by aborigines and their lefty helpers would be my guess, was put on to edumacate the poor white fellas like me, who had no idea how inventive they were.

The subject in question was a black and white photo of a field with two gum trees as the focal point.

They were set up on those old mobile partition things that had beige carpet on them so notices etc could be pinned or stuck on. Above this particular photo there was a card with a Title "Early Aussie rules" or something along those lines, I cannot remember exactly.
Below was the description typed up on another card, where they explained that contrary to poular wisdom, Aussie Rules was actually inspired from and derivative of a traditional aboriginal game, where they would kick a stuffed possum skin around the field, and scored by kicking it between two gum trees.

This is not a delusional misrembering by me, this is exactly what was on display.

At the time I thought how terribly sad it was that the only trustworthy history of aboriginals must come from "OUTSIDE" their culture.
It was not a moment of happiness for me to experience this, I promise you. I left feeling depressed for their chance of building a better future on the back of such folly. I sincerely hoped for a better future for them, along with all decent people, I knew just how badly they had been wronged. I KNEW HOWEVER THAT FANTASY AND LIES WAS NO WAY FORWARD.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #221 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 7:09pm

Often on here, we have read how wonderful a man Geoffrey Blainey was as a historian.

Back in 1990, he wrote A Game of Our Own: The Origins of Australian Football,  which was, as the title suggests, a history of Australian Rules Football.   In it, he examined the history of the game.  In it, he made the claim that it was developed from an Indigenous Australian game - Marn Grook which was played by Indigenous Australians in and around Melbourne and Victoria.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #222 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 7:15pm

yep Marn Grook...
used to be on TV too.
However it in no way addresses what I actually wrote.

Pity you usually dis Blainey isn't it bwian...  hypocrite.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #223 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 7:21pm

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #224 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 7:31pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 7:09pm:
Often on here, we have read how wonderful a man Geoffrey Blainey was as a historian.

Back in 1990, he wrote A Game of Our Own: The Origins of Australian Football,  which was, as the title suggests, a history of Australian Rules Football.   In it, he examined the history of the game.  In it, he made the claim that it was developed from an Indigenous Australian game - Marn Grook which was played by Indigenous Australians in and around Melbourne and Victoria.

You do know why aboriginal history is called the "Dreaming", don't you?
$400 for jousting sticks? Tell him he's including it in aboriginal oral history.

Funny how a society where a pointy stick was the apex of technology, invented so much we were unaware of.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22
Send Topic Print