Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22
Send Topic Print
You are Australian if.... (Read 19794 times)
philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Re: You are Australian if....
Reply #180 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:27pm

So you are trying to make a point....How is my comment racist???

Huh Huh Huh

Against logic there is no armor like ignorance.
Laurence J. Peter (1919 - 1988)

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #181 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:28pm

philperth2010 wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:07pm:
Grendel wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:56pm:
None that I know phil and I've played team sports all my life and unlike YOU I don't talk in colours... you do... you need to stop hanging with the lowlife eh. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Their white uniform is why they are called white maggots you dickhead....You wouldn't know a racist if one was looking at you in the mirror every day....Idiot!!!

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I don't even like AFL, and I certainly don't watch it, but even I know what a white maggot is.

"white maggot:
From the uniform of white shirt and shorts worn by the Victorian Football League (which became the Australian Football League) field umpires. The umpires' uniforms changed to day-glow orange in 2004."

Poor goose.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #182 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:31pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:28pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:07pm:
Grendel wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:56pm:
None that I know phil and I've played team sports all my life and unlike YOU I don't talk in colours... you do... you need to stop hanging with the lowlife eh. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Their white uniform is why they are called white maggots you dickhead....You wouldn't know a racist if one was looking at you in the mirror every day....Idiot!!!

I don't even like AFL, and I certainly don't watch it, but even I know what a white maggot is.

"white maggot:
From the uniform of white shirt and shorts worn by the Victorian Football League (which became the Australian Football League) field umpires. The umpires' uniforms changed to day-glow orange in 2004."

Poor goose.

They will always be white maggots to the initiated....Why do the bastards always go against my team???

Wink Wink Wink

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #183 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:32pm

I'm sorry you are an idiot and in denial phil.  But AFL is not a National sport in fact until most recently it was a Victorian Sport.
like I told you you need to stop hanging with lowlifes...  I have never associated with racists or scum that would use such a description for a game official.  I think you will find
1. Most people don't.
2. Most people realise sport is sport not life and death and there is no need to wallow in the gutter.

Oh look a Netball Referee..
What would you call her?
I'd call her cute.
As for AFL...
Since there are now 2 teams in NSW I watch it more...
Oh look AFL Referees...
what do YOU call them again? Cheesy Grin Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #184 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:40pm

Oh and Phil I have lived in Melbourne and no Melburnians I knew ever called the referees "white maggots" Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #185 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:41pm

For the slow learners at the back of the class:

"white maggot:

"From the uniform of white shirt and shorts worn by the Victorian Football League (which became the Australian Football League) field umpires.

"The umpires' uniforms changed ... in 2004."

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #186 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:43pm

Grendel wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:32pm:
I'm sorry you are an idiot and in denial phil.  But AFL is not a National sport in fact until most recently it was a Victorian Sport.
like I told you you need to stop hanging with lowlifes...  I have never associated with racists or scum that would use such a description for a game official.  I think you will find
1. Most people don't.
2. Most people realise sport is sport not life and death and there is no need to wallow in the gutter.

http://www.hoggiesnetball.com.au/uploads/7/0/6/7/70679729/1252844.jpg
What would you call her?
I'd call her cute.
As for AFL...
Oh look AFL Referees...
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Images/340794-tlsnewslandscape...

Why do you persist trolling my comment to Bobby....It was not racist and it is part of the Australian vernacular....The fact you have no idea is not my concern dickhead!!!

Quote:
The WAFL was founded in 1885 as the West Australian Football Association (WAFA)

Quote:
Originally formed as the South Australian Football Association on 30 April 1877, the SANFL is the oldest surviving football league of any code in Australia

Quote:
A ZERO tolerance toward umpire abuse and ridding the phrase "white maggot" from the Australian sporting vernacular are just two of the proud achievements of AFL umpire boss Jeff Gieschen who departs the job today after 14 years.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/departing-umpires-boss-jeff-gieschen-proud...

It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.
Pierre Beaumarchais (1732 - 1799)
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2018 at 10:58pm by philperth2010 »  

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #187 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:43pm

"I wouldn't mind seeing the Umps back in white, simply so I can call them 'White Maggots' again".

"Ive gotta funny feeling these new colours are to stop the 'kids' from yelling out 'white maggot' and other similar stuff. This is the AFL you know".

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-death-of-the-white-umpire-guernsey.71...

Poor goose    Grin

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #188 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:44pm

Grendel wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:40pm:
Oh and Phil I have lived in Melbourne and no Melburnians I knew ever called the referees "white maggots" Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Who gives a stuff about you???

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #189 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:46pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:43pm:
"I wouldn't mind seeing the Umps back in white, simply so I can call them 'White Maggots' again".

"Ive gotta funny feeling these new colours are to stop the 'kids' from yelling out 'white maggot' and other similar stuff. This is the AFL you know".

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-death-of-the-white-umpire-guernsey.71...

Poor goose    Grin

I am still waiting for it to explain how my comment was racist....It is completely clueless!!!

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #190 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:47pm

philperth2010 wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:46pm:

Poor goose    Grin

I am still waiting for it to explain how my comment was racist....It is completely clueless!!!

The goose makes The Mechanic look like a genius.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #191 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:52pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:47pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:46pm:

Poor goose    Grin

The goose makes The Mechanic look like a genius.

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #192 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 7:27am

1. Most people don't.

What would you call her?
I'd call her cute.
As for AFL...
Oh look AFL Referees...

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #193 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:26am

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 10:54pm:
mozzaok wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 9:25pm:
The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:17pm:
mozzaok wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 11:46am:
Multi-ethnic populations are something I have no problem with at all, but the ones who put their historical culture ABOVE the australian culture, should get the arse. F off back there if ya love it so bloody much you maintain it's beliefs and cultural practices instead of adopting the australian culture.

And what is the "Australian Culture"? (if it even exists)
I don't binge drink on weekends or obsess over cars.
Does that mean that I'm not adopting Australian Culture?

Australian culture is a wonderful thing, and immigrants and their offspring do not need to abandon their historical culture, unless it is in clear contradiction to OUR culture, it just must not be put above our culture, so that these migrants believe they are our superiors, on a cultural level.

Can anyone here honestly tell me they have not come across those types, who hark to the superiority of greek culture, because that is where democracy and the great philosophers sprang from, or macedonians thinking that like alexander, and ali, they are the greatest, or italians that identify with the world dominating roman empire, or iranians with the persian etc. etc.

That is what we do not need, having new australians condescending to "convicts".

Aussie culture is famous for it's self deprecating humour, for it's generousity of spirit, and welcoming egalitarianism. We stick up for the underdog, thumb our noses at pretentiosness and self importance, and deride the overly pious and patriotic, with equal disdain. The preparedness to help out a friend, neighbour, or stranger in need, goes back to our pioneering heritage, where we also developed the characteristic of stoically taking hardships in our stride, but continuing to strive to build a better future for all.

When people claim to not know of any australian culture, I have to wonder who are these people, and what the hell is wrong with them that they fail to recognise what is all around them.
I am 5th generation australian, and grateful to have such a great home country, and I would like to think that pathetic whining self pitying zealots from other cultures do not lessen what so many have built up over the last 200 years or so.

Unless of course, they are Muslims and then they earn the ire of oh, so many Australians who have never met a Muslim nor understand that Muslims aren't all Terrorists, they are just ordinary people who just happen to worship a different god to the one normally accepted by the majority of Australians.    Roll Eyes

You certainly are selective aren't you Bwian?

We've had Muslims in Australia since the pioneering days ... Afghans. They were not of the same mindset as many many of those who came in the late 70's & 1980's & the current crops of boaties & Africans. They even integrated/intermarried with Indigenous & settler Australians.They survived here for 150 years without Halal Certified foods & products.

The recent Muslims do not integrate, they don't want to, they don't like us, they want their ideals & Sharia catered to,
in fact they are not compatible with western values ... except they like our money for nothing.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #194 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:33am

Grendel wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 11:32am:
4. A Sporting Culture.

Australians have developed a sporting sub/culture, whether they be spectators or participants, Australians have a love of Sports.  Perhaps more than any other nation.

http://www.convictcreations.com/citizenship/sport.html

Australians have excelled at and have had many world champions in many world sports as well.
Tennis, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Cricket, Squash, Swimming, Hockey, Golf, Boxing, Track and Field, etc, etc, etc...

[quote]
Australians take great pride in the sporting feats of our compatriots — indeed a large degree of our national identity has been forged on the playing field.
From Bradman to Gould, Freeman to Cash, the achievements of our legendary sports stars fill us with a collective national pride. In the wake of national celebrations for Australia Day, Wide World of Sports hones in on 11 of our greatest sporting heroes. 

Don Bradman
Any discussion of Australian sporting champions must begin with cricket legend Sir Donald "The Don" Bradman. Even with almost 70 years having passed since his retirement and 15 years since his death, Bradman's many batting records remain mostly unchallenged.

Bradman still holds the highest Test batting average of any batsmen at 99.94, and his insatiable run-making prowess is unlikely ever to be bettered.

Shane Gould
Australia has also excelled in the Olympic domain, with numerous legendary performers enshrining their names in the history books. Shane Gould wowed a generation as a shy 15-year-old schoolgirl at the 1972 Munich Games, winning three gold medals, a silver and a bronze in various swimming events.

But the pressure of success was too much for her and on her return to Australia, she retired from competitive swimming. The mother of four has since revived her career competing at Masters level, where she’s set an array of records, solidifying her legendary status.

Herb Elliott
Aussies have also excelled in the track and field arena. Herb Elliott was the greatest middle distance runner of his generation, unbeaten over both the mile and the 1500m during his career from 1957 to 1961.

Such was his domination during that period, it was simply assumed he couldn't lose — and in the 1960 Rome Olympics, he only fueled this rumour further by smashing his own world record, winning by 30m.

Betty Cuthbert
Betty Cuthbert became Australia's "Golden Girl" when she blitzed the 1956 Melbourne Olympics, winning a total of three gold medals, before taking home another gold in Tokyo four years later.

Cuthbert was inducted into The Sport Australia Hall of Fame in 1985 as an Athlete Member and in 1994 was elevated to Legend of Australian Sport. Tragically, she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1969, but went on to become a keen advocate for the condition.

Cathy Freeman
In terms of an athlete who truly became a legend in a single moment, you can't go past Cathy Freeman. As Australia held its collective breath, the proud indigenous athlete  clinched gold at the Sydney 2000 Olympics in stunning fashion during the 400m.

The significance of her achievement cannot be underestimated. Coming in an era where the incumbent government had refused to apologise for past injustices against the Aboriginal people, her win was a unifying experience for the entire nation

Mark Richards
As a coastal nation, it should come as no surprise that Aussies have also excelled in surfing. Rising from the counter-culture milieu of the 1960s and 1970s, Australia's beaches spawned a radical crop of competitive surfers who dominated the fledgling years of professional surfing. And there were none better than Newcastle's Mark Richards.

Winning four world titles and revolutionising the sport with a powerfully fluid style, Richards was everything surfers weren't originally considered to be. A quiet, humble family man, Richards' Australian record of four titles has stood firm for years, with only three-time world champ Mick Fanning coming close.

Tennis legends

The tennis courts of the world have also long been hallowed ground for Australian athletes. Legends include Margaret Court, who won 62 Grand Slam titles between 1969 and 1975; Rod Laver, who took the world by storm throughout the 1960s; and Ken Rosewall, whose 20-year career carved his name forever in the Australian psyche.

Pat Cash
But one of the greatest and most well-loved tennis champs from Oz is Pat Cash – whose victory over Ivan Lendl in the 1987 Wimbledon final cemented his status as eternal sporting legend.

Throughout his career, Cash won six singles titles and 12 doubles titles, before retiring from the game in 1997.

If you scratch the surface of almost any sport, you will find an Australian sporting legend. From sailors John Bertrand and Jessica Watson, to cricketers Shane Warne and Dennis Lillee, to golfers Peter Thompson and Greg Norman, this nation has bred a plethora of legends, all admired and loved for their achievements.

Try Pat Rafter before Pat Cash.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22
Send Topic Print