Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 22
Send Topic Print
You are Australian if.... (Read 19780 times)
Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

You are Australian if....
Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:17pm

You support the following values:

1) Separation of Church and State;

2) Freedom of Speech (the narrowest interpretation of it);

3) Equality for Women;

4) Equality for minorities;

5) Freedom to practise your religion without fear of violence;

Australia culture is your core culture, with your ethnic background taking a peripheral role.

You are an Australian citizen.

Your loyalty is to the Queen, Union Jack and country.

You believe that the Indigenous peoples of the Australian continent have been wronged by BOTH Australian government and the British;

You support the institutions of parliamentary democracy; common law; and separation of powers.
------
If you do not support any one of the above, you are not Australian.

That rules out: Aussie, Grappler, Setanta, Brian Ross, philperth et al. Sorry guys, you're not Australian.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

The Progressive President

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Re: You are Australian if....
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:59pm

Auggie wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:17pm:

3) Equality for Women;

Australia culture is your core culture, with your ethnic background taking a peripheral role.

You believe that the Indigenous peoples of the Australian continent have been wronged by BOTH Australian government and the British;

You support the institutions of parliamentary democracy; common law; and separation of powers.
------

That rules out: Aussie, Grappler, Setanta, Brian Ross, philperth et al. Sorry guys, you're not Australian.

F#ck the day I would ever pledge loyalty to the Union Jack....Piss off you POME bastard!!!

Smiley Smiley Smiley

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:04pm

philperth2010 wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:59pm:

3) Equality for Women;

------

F#ck the day I would ever pledge loyalty to the Union Jack....Piss off you POME bastard!!!

Smiley Smiley Smiley

The Union Jack is on our flag, mate. You're not pledging to it means you're not Australian.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:14pm

Don't forget the true Aussie culture of being for freedom FROM religion. Since religion is dying out in Australia, it seems appropriate that we go about our lives without religion interfering in how we live.

I happen to be a Republican. The only thing that would stop me from voting Australia to becoming a republic is the cost. Otherwise, we can do away with the royal family having one of them meddling in our affairs.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:16pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:14pm:
Don't forget the true Aussie culture of being for freedom FROM religion. Since religion is dying out in Australia, it seems appropriate that we go about our lives without religion interfering in how we live.

I happen to be a Republican. The only thing that would stop me from voting Australia to becoming a republic is the cost. Otherwise, we can do away with the royal family having one of them meddling in our affairs.

They don't interfere in our affairs.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:22pm

You are Australian if time spent drinking beer
and playing pool with your mates is more important than time with your wife and kids.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:25pm

Bobby. wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:22pm:
You are Australian if time spent drinking beer
and playing pool with your mates is more important than time with your wife and kids.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:26pm

Auggie wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:04pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:59pm:

3) Equality for Women;

------

Smiley Smiley Smiley

The Union Jack is on our flag, mate. You're not pledging to it means you're not Australian.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

You are another of the many who do not understand what the present Australian flag means. The Hawaiian flag has a Union flag in the upper hoist too. Such symbolism does not imply loyalty to Britain or the monarch. The Union flag in ours, is inherited from Imperial times. It no longer fulfills that purpose. Since Australians ceased to be British subjects, (a fact you seem to ignore) the Union flag is purely a matter of tradition. The bottom line is that legislation and foreign policy stop here. Now don't start nit-picking about the Anzus treaty, because you'll just dig yourself in deeper.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:28pm

Too many errors and assumptions there for this time of night... I'm watching a movie series.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:30pm

Auggie wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:16pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:14pm:

They don't interfere in our affairs.

I wish I could tell you stories, but I would not have the legal evidence to back up my argument. If an English person came to Australia and caused a major crime and then fled home, they can effectively use the power of the head of state to claim impunity, due to their English nationality. It is not like the successor to the Queen would not tell the Australian courts to "get stuffed" in their own way, seeing as the English are quite jingoistic.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:02am

Видна́ пти́ца по полёту.

A tree is known by its fruit....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 7:56am

Agree with Grap...
1. Speak write and understand Australian English.  Perhaps even have an understanding of "STRINE"

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 8:46am

Agree with issuevoter...

The Australian Flag is not the Union Flag or Jack as you called it.  Like most heraldic symbols it tells a story.  At the core of modern Australia is Britain.  There is no denying that and being considered sane.  But we are also no longer considered British citizens.

2.  Australians should understand our history and recognise the flag as symbolic of them and their country.  (Certainly those who deface and burn the flag know intimately the message they are sending).

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 10:04am

That may be your definition of an Australian but I'm sure if you asked 100 different people what their definition is you would get 100 different answers.

As far as I'm concerned as long as you are a permanent resident, you are an Australian. I don't go in for all these right wing nationalist restrictions on thoughts and opinions.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 11:06am

The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 10:04am:

That may be your definition of an Australian but I'm sure if you asked 100 different people what their definition is you would get 100 different answers.

As far as I'm concerned as long as you are a permanent resident, you are an Australian. I don't go in for all these right wing nationalist restrictions on thoughts and opinions.

Really?
Wow who'd have thunk it Barnacle?

I'm betting you will get a rather large overlap of commonalities though... Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 22
Send Topic Print