Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Irukandji on the move south, and what happened to (Read 2078 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: Irukandji on the move south, and what happened to
Reply #15 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 5:44am

Hundreds of miles of 'Pacific Paradise' coastline 'golden sands' beaches to swim in but they're all but deserted all year round - for tourists and locals alike - all because of these little cubes of jellyfish.

The government should get marine biologists to figure out how to permanently eradicate these little beasties in order to make its habitat safe for swimming.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 9:05am

Gordon wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 7:41pm:
They're tiny and we're only described in the 1960s.

No doubt they've been that far south before, and will again.

I got the crap bitten out of me by swarms of killer march flies last time I was on Fraser Is. Horrid part of the world Wink

Yeah the March Flies over on & around Fraser are as big as B52 Bombers & they pack a wallop when they bite.

But small sandflies that inhabit all the coastal mangrove areas are worse.

They come in swarms .. ..in your eyes, ears, up your nose ... every bare bit of skin,  even up your shorts leg ... so going commando isn't smart.

And they itch for days ... sometimes a week or more.

Oh & then there's the larger biting midges.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 9:11am

Aussie wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 7:42pm:
freediver wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 7:36pm:
There are a lot of small bits of hard coral growing in southern QLD and northern NSW.

The one they caught off Frazer is an infant, so there must also be parents around the same place.  Nasty.

"Infant"? They are extremely small ... that's why they had previously never been seen.

Quote:
Irukandji jellyfish are any of several similar, extremely venomous species of box jellyfish. With an adult size of roughly a cubic centimetre, they are both one of the smallest and most venomous jellyfish in the world.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 9:14am

The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 7:03pm:
Gnads wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 7:32pm:
First time 2 years ago.

Funny thing ocean currents.

What do you want to put it down to Herb?

Global warming?

It's feckin summer here on the Fraser Coast.

Biggest tides of the year happening.

A once in 150 year super blue blood moon will push the tides & currents around a bit more on the 31st January.

Why don't you change your name to Al Gore?

You old Man Bear Pig you.  Tongue

Yes they think it is moving south due to warmer waters

Quote:
Deadly Irukandji Jellyfish are drifting further south along Queensland's coastline
Toxicologist professor Jamie Seymour has "little doubt" Irukandji will keep moving down to the Gold and Sunshine Coasts after a stinger was found at Fraser Island on Sunday.
Mr Seymour cited warmer sea temperatures as the reason Irukandji could become a regular occurrence at Mooloolaba, and even as far south as Coolangatta on the Gold Coast.
http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/irukandji-stinger-found-off-fraser...

The waters are always warmer in summer. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 9:42am

Lord Herbert wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 5:44am:
Hundreds of miles of 'Pacific Paradise' coastline 'golden sands' beaches to swim in but they're all but deserted all year round - for tourists and locals alike - all because of these little cubes of jellyfish.

The government should get marine biologists to figure out how to permanently eradicate these little beasties in order to make its habitat safe for swimming. 

Rubbish Herb. The further north you go the more nasties in the water.

And not just Irukandji, they are a relatively recent phenomenon .... how about their larger cousin the Box Jelly or Stinger?

How about sharks? .... & last but not least our largest reptile .... that is also heading further & further south.

CROCODILES!!

That's what keeps people out of the water ...... & they can come up out of the water on to the beach for a snack.

But also the tourists themselves ruin these destinations by continual stubborn/lazy actions & ignorance in dumping their fish frames & waste into the waters not far from where they are staying.

It not only attracts crocs but large sharks(bull) as well.

The same thing happens around & near the creek & boat ramp where I go fishing every year north of Rockhampton.

The local council provide a fish dump on land away from any water ways where the frames & waste can be picked over by crows & hawks.

https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/could-dead-fish-have-lured-crocodile-...

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #20 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 9:49am

Gnads wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 9:05am:

I got the crap bitten out of me by swarms of killer march flies last time I was on Fraser Is. Horrid part of the world Wink

Yeah the March Flies over on & around Fraser are as big as B52 Bombers & they pack a wallop when they bite.

They come in swarms .. ..in your eyes, ears, up your nose ... every bare bit of skin,  even up your shorts leg ... so going commando isn't smart.

Beautiful one day, deadly the next....  Shocked

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:41am

Dear Jesus!

Why .... I say
WHY
haven't the CSIRO boffins come up with a spray-on that keeps these bitey pests at bay!

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:44am

Lord Herbert wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:41am:

Dear Jesus!

Why .... I say
WHY
haven't the CSIRO boffins come up with a spray-on that keeps these bitey pests at bay!

My mate lives up north and he reckons many people use coconut oil to keep the midges from biting herb.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #23 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:49am

Ever done the drive from Brisbane to FNQ?

Sorry QLDers but IMHO from about Bundy onwards is the least attractive of any Australian coastline.

IBI

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:49am

I swear by vegimite for sand flys and mosquitos.....and lots of it. Consume it a week before you go and keep eating it while there. Thick layered on toast.
Works for me.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #25 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:51am

Gnads wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 9:42am:
Rubbish Herb. The further north you go the more nasties in the water.

... er ... yes ... that's what I've just said.

And not just Irukandji, they are a relatively recent phenomenon .... how about their larger cousin the Box Jelly or Stinger?

... er ... yes ... I didn't know I was obliged to list the entire host of coastal nasties.

How about sharks? .... & last but not least our largest reptile .... that is also heading further & further south.

CROCODILES!!

Gee ... those never occurred to me ...  Cool

That's what keeps people out of the water ...... & they can come up out of the water on to the beach for a snack.

But also the tourists themselves ruin these destinations by continual stubborn/lazy actions & ignorance in dumping their fish frames & waste into the waters not far from where they are staying.

It not only attracts crocs but large sharks(bull) as well.

The same thing happens around & near the creek & boat ramp where I go fishing every year north of Rockhampton.

The local council provide a fish dump on land away from any water ways where the frames & waste can be picked over by crows & hawks.

https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/could-dead-fish-have-lured-crocodile-...

... er ... yes, well, where are the Council Rangers? But in the Fair Dinkum department you're going to get sharks coming in close to the beaches regardless of burley from irresponsible anglers.

Off-shore drum-line netting is the only answer to the crocs and shark problem, unless you can fly a trio of drones where they can spot any predators heading for the shore.

I'm ALSO experimenting with the idea that a colourless dye can be sprayed over the swimming beach waters which when comes into contact with these jellyfish beasties turns them a bright red or yellow for identification from drones.

« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:56am by Lord Herbert »  

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:54am

Gordon wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:49am:

Ever done the drive from Brisbane to FNQ?

Sorry QLDers but IMHO from about Bundy onwards is the least attractive of any Australian coastline.

You're dead right. I drive it at night. Much easier.
That part of the coast is supposed to be traveled via boat out on the reef.
The towns are nice though. Lucinda is nice. It's in the Hinchinbrook area.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 12:01pm

Captain Caveman wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:49am:
I swear by vegimite for sand flys and mosquitos.....and lots of it. Consume it a week before you go and keep eating it while there. Thick layered on toast.
Works for me.

During my Vodka boozing days mosquitoes and flies gave me a wide berth. Backyard barbies held no fears for me.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #28 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 12:29pm

I hiked Fraser, from the Wanggoolba creek ferry landing to Lake McKenzie, up to Lake Garawongera, across to the coast then down to the Inskip ferry.

4 days/3 nights of abject misery being devoured by insects.

IBI

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 12:33pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 12:29pm:

I hiked Fraser, from the Wanggoolba creek ferry landing to Lake McKenzie, up to Lake Garawongera, across to the coast then down to the Inskip ferry.

4 days/3 nights of abject misery being devoured by insects.

Grin
Did anyone warn you about what you were about to do?
I've driven all over fraser and I would never attempt to hike that far.
The sheer size of the island is very overwhelming.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print