Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Fav Fish to eat? (Read 8973 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Fav Fish to eat?
Jan 9th, 2018 at 7:17pm

Red Salmon is my favourite!
But I also like the sweet Red Morwong and a good slab of Marlin over a T-Bone any day.
Fishos rave about Snapper & Flathead, but I really *yawn about them.
Give me a Black Jewfish (like the one we lost off the spear the other day Tongue ) over them easily.

NZ Hoki & Blue Grenadier is my favourite 'stock' feed.

...but 'Garfish' is my dark horse. If cooked properly, nothing really compares.

It is interesting to see how the diet of a fish does have an effect of how itself 'tastes' when eaten.

Only 24 get the 4 stars. Ten are temperate species: WA jewfish, pearl perch, King George whiting, sand whiting, snapper, Tasmanian trumpeter, black sole, and john, silver and mirror dory. Eight are tropical: barramundi, coral trout, barramundi cod, rosy snapper, and sweetlip, grass, blue-lined and yellow-tailed emperor. Six species overlap: spangled emperor, narrow barred Spanish mackerel, mangrove jacks, baldchin groper, blackspot pigfish and tripletails.

I've tried a majority of these and wouldn't dispute the rankings. Baldchin groper I haven't, but given their popularity in the West they must be good. Likewise tripletails, which I was surprised at initially, but after reading Peter Zeroni's recent web piece on their eating qualities I shouldn't have been.

So what about species that didn't crack the 4 stars?

For me, golden snapper, black jew, threadfin salmon, red emperor and dusky flathead must be knocking on the door for selection in the top team. But it's all pretty subjective and largely based on handling and keeping qualities. Some fish do well for a day in the fridge, some are great straight out of the water. Some freeze well, some don't. Maybe the best eating fish is the best handled, or maybe it reflects where they're caught. Or maybe it's the fish you caught and kept this morning. To her dying day my old nan wouldn't eat mullet, luderick or "black" bream, which I think were just bream caught from well up the estuaries.....a bit like dark coloured barra from predominately freshwater areas, which taste tainted

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Fav Fish to eat?
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 7:27pm

The best fish I've had was freshly caught coral trout. The most surprisingly good fish I've eaten is Eel Tailed Catfish out of the freshwater. You get 2 good pearly white fillets with hardly any bones. And the flavour is lovely. They don't look too appetizing though. Eel is nice also which is surprising.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 7:45pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 7:27pm:
The best fish I've had was freshly caught coral trout. The most surprisingly good fish I've eaten is Eel Tailed Catfish out of the freshwater. You get 2 good pearly white fillets with hardly any bones. And the flavour is lovely. They don't look too appetizing though. Eel is nice also which is surprising.

Interesting.
Saw a number of them in Menangle River.
9m deep/6m viz.
Might try them now that you've mentioned it.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 8:01pm

I like the Australian salmon, the kind you catch on the SW coast.

Its quite a strong flavour, which is what I am after.

It has to battered and thick pieces cut along the grain.

Wimps complain that its dry,,,,it isn't if you cook it properly.

The other one I like is Baldchin Groper, much better than snapper and even better than WA Dhufish.

I did catch a huge Red Emperor off Rottnest island which was magnificent also.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 8:06pm

miketrees wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 8:01pm:

The other one I like is Baldchin Groper, much better than snapper and even better than WA Dhufish.

Yes - they're like that with Kangaroo & Emu meat as well.
If you cook such meats properly - they are delicious.
I'm good at cooking the meat - but crap at what 'additives' to infuse and mix with.

Btw Mike Trees - you really are a nice guy. Did anyone ever tell you that?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:41pm

Spanish Mackerell, yellowtail kings when I am down south.

I ate a few eel tailed catfish when I was younger. Definitely better than the common forktailed variety, but still tastes like mud. Probably depends where you get it from.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:51pm

miketrees wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 8:01pm:

The salmon we get off Sydney is ok for rissoles or thai fish cakes.

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:53pm

Red rock cod / red scorpion fish.

One of the best.

IBI

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:54pm

I found out last week that the indigenous people in the Midwest dont eat the grey kangaroo ( Yugedda)
They only eat the red kangaroo because it does not stink.

They really look down their nose at the people down south eating that stinky grey.

I always knew that grey kangaroos had a strong smell ,,, never knew the reds didnt.

Anyway, back to delicious fish stories.

The best part of a Dhufish ( West Australian species) to eat is the air bag, I was dubious however when I tried it I am absolutely sold on it.

Just scrub it up, cut into small pieces and throw on the hotplate, it goes all caramelized and sticky and the flavour is magnificent.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 6:20pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:53pm:

One of the best.

Really? Huh
I've been trying to 'tickle' them underwater or 'pat' them.
Gotta watch it when they turn side-on though or 'Ouch!'.
Never thought of them as 'tasty'. I wonder if they are similar to the Lionfish popularity (and necessity) over in the States for BBQ's?

freediver wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:41pm:

I ate a few eel tailed catfish when I was younger. Definitely better than the common forktailed variety, but still tastes like mud. Probably depends where you get it from.

The quality of the 'diet' of the fish goes a long way. Would anyone eat a fish from Parramatta River - even if you get two-heads for the price of one?  Tongue

miketrees wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:54pm:

I found out last week that the indigenous people in the Midwest dont eat the grey kangaroo ( Yugedda)

They really look down their nose at the people down south eating that stinky grey.

I always knew that grey kangaroos had a strong smell ,,, never knew the reds didnt.

The best part of a Dhufish ( West Australian species) to eat is the air bag, I was dubious however when I tried it I am absolutely sold on it.

Just scrub it up, cut into small pieces and throw on the hotplate, it goes all caramelized and sticky and the flavour is magnificent.

Well 'Grey' is the 'processed' Kangaroo meat you find in the Supermarkets and even the Boutique (expensive) Gourmet Meat places (same meat - far different price!  Roll Eyes).
Red Kangaroos are not as common and like all species, you don't really get BIG reds like you used to long ago.
Wonder what they Aboriginals would say if 'Reds' became 'protected'?  Grin

Dhufish (Jewfish/Mulloway): You just made me pine for that big 1.5m one that came off my mate's spear the other day ...leaving me to eat crumby Basa at the shop!

And how sad is it that Coastal 'Fish n Chip' shops sell their stock Fish fillets as coming from Vietnam & overseas?  Tongue Tongue

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 6:27pm

Jasin wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 6:20pm:
Gordon wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:53pm:

One of the best.

Really? Huh
I've been trying to 'tickle' them underwater or 'pat' them.
Gotta watch it when they turn side-on though or 'Ouch!'.
Never thought of them as 'tasty'. I wonder if they are similar to the Lionfish popularity (and necessity) over in the States for BBQ's?

freediver wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:41pm:

The quality of the 'diet' of the fish goes a long way. Would anyone eat a fish from Parramatta River - even if you get two-heads for the price of one?  Tongue

miketrees wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:54pm:

Well 'Grey' is the 'processed' Kangaroo meat you find in the Supermarkets and even the Boutique (expensive) Gourmet Meat places (same meat - far different price!  Roll Eyes).
Red Kangaroos are not as common and like all species, you don't really get BIG reds like you used to long ago.
Wonder what they Aboriginals would say if 'Reds' became 'protected'?  Grin

Dhufish (Jewfish/Mulloway): You just made me pine for that big 1.5m one that came off my mate's spear the other day ...leaving me to eat crumby Basa at the shop!

And how sad is it that Coastal 'Fish n Chip' shops sell their stock Fish fillets as coming from Vietnam & overseas?  Tongue Tongue

Fishermen who scorn this fascinating fish don't know what they are missing out on as the fish's chunky white flesh is ideal for adding to a chowder or fish soup.

I made a chowder through the week with prosciutto, onion, celery, cream, corn and potato. The fish stock I added was the result of boiling the bones and heads of a few snapper I had caught together with a liberal sprinkling of black cracked pepper and sea salt - magnificent.

Steamed and chilled, the flesh of the "rocky" can be picked away from the bones and substituted in recipes for lobster or crab.

A word of caution when handling the "rocky" - take every precaution to avoid the spines and spikes on the head and along the fin line.

Once spiked you will do a dance that you never knew - a combination of the jitterbug, twist, stomp and hokey pokey.

In other news, we now have a garbage bin on the Nelson Bay Breakwall. Encourage locals and visitors to use it.

A statewide closure on the harvest of pipis was imposed by NSW Fisheries officers last Friday. Stinker

https://www.portstephensexaminer.com.au/story/1978643/red-rock-cod-needs-to-be-h...

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 6:34pm

Hey Hammer!
I'm taking my fish to Gordo's!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 6:41pm

Gordo wrote:
In other news, we now have a garbage bin on the Nelson Bay Breakwall. Encourage locals and visitors to use it.

A statewide closure on the harvest of pipis was imposed by NSW Fisheries officers last Friday. Stinker

Yes - a bin goes a long way. How many 'rock' spots do you see covered with empty plastic bait bags?
I remember snorkling Bass & Flinders (Cronulla) and besides collecting 16kg worth of sinker weight. The amount of 'fishing rubbish' littering the shallows was disgraceful.
Then these 'surface dwellers' tell me to F-off from 'their' spot  Roll Eyes I yelled back for them to "Shut the F-up or I'll have them charged for littering!"

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 6:42pm

Jasin wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 6:34pm:
Hey Hammer!
I'm taking my fish to Gordo's!

Why not? Smiley

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #14 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 6:44pm

Jasin wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 6:41pm:
Gordo wrote:

Yes - a bin goes a long way. How many 'rock' spots do you see covered with empty plastic bait bags?
I remember snorkling Bass & Flinders (Cronulla) and besides collecting 16kg worth of sinker weight. The amount of 'fishing rubbish' littering the shallows was disgraceful.
Then these 'surface dwellers' tell me to F-off from 'their' spot  Roll Eyes I yelled back for them to "Shut the F-up or I'll have them charged for littering!"

In Sydney the Chinese fishermen leave crap everywhere, filthy buggers. At least the occasional rogue wave reduces their numbers  Grin Grin Grin Grin

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print