Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sports actions - Bravery or foolishness (Read 462 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Sports actions - Bravery or foolishness
Jan 9th, 2018 at 8:00am

Quote:
The bravest acts in international cricket after Joe Root battled through bug at the SCG
Joe Barton and Ben Waterworth, News Corp Australia

Just ask England captain Joe Root, who retired hurt for a second time on Monday as he continued to battle dehydration, diarrhoea and vomiting at the SCG.
Root arrived at the ground on Monday with a hospital identification band still on his left wrist — then walked out to the middle of the SCG with his side hoping to save the fifth Test. He received a standing ovation from the crowd.

Most impressively, the skipper appeared composed at the crease and registered his fifth half-century of the series.

Root’s final-day bravery isn’t the first time a cricketer has gone above and beyond for his team’s sake.

From playing through extreme heat and humidity to overcoming broken bones, these are some of the most courageous acts ever seen on an international cricket field.

RICK McCOSKER
The marker for bravery on a cricket pitch.

McCosker’s jaw was broken when smashed by a brutal Bob Willis bouncer in the Centenary Test between Australia and England at the MCG in 1977.

With the Test on the line, McCosker came out to bat in the second innings – his jaw wired, face bandaged and, generally, presenting a picture of pain.

Incredibly he batted for an hour and added 54 runs with Rod Marsh as Australia would go on to win by 45 runs.

GRAEME SMITH
The former South African skipper wasn’t the most popular player among Australian cricket fans, but every Aussie supporter had nothing but admiration and respect for Smith on the final day of the Australia-South Africa Test at the SCG in 2009.

A fiery Mitchell Johnson delivery broke Smith’s hand in the first innings, forcing the opening batsman to retire hurt He wouldn’t return for the innings, nor Australia’s second innings with the bat.

Meanwhile, the Aussies had surged ahead in the match, tearing through South Africa’s batting line-up in the fourth innings to have the Proteas 9-257 — 119 runs short of the target.

But just when Australia thought it had taken the final wicket of the game, out came the brave Smith to a deafening roar from the SCG crowd, striding to the wicket with his side needing to bat out 50 balls to save the Test.

Unfortunately for Smith and the Proteas, they fell 11 balls short, with Johnson smashing Smith’s stumps to seal victory. But no one will ever forget Smith’s amazing act of courage.

MICHAEL CLARKE
It was far from Clarke’s prettiest Test century, but it’s undoubedtly his toughest, bravest and most fondly remembered.

In Cape Town in 2014, Clarke was on the end of a barrage of bouncers on Day 1 from Proteas paceman Morne Morkel, copping knocks to his thumb, forearm, elbow, shoulder and helmet. Consequently, the Aussie captain suffered a fractured left shoulder.

Yet Clarke survived, took the hits and kept his wicket, reaching 92 not out by stumps. The next day — after a sleepless night due to the pain — he would go on to make 161.

“Personally I think it’s probably the best hundred I’ve made for Australia,” Clarke said at the time.

“I needed to make runs for the team, they had a very good fast bowling attack in conditions that suited fast bowling, and while I managed to get through my first 10 balls I think I got hit in the head three or four times, hit in the gloves another six times or so, and I managed to turn that around and score some runs.”

DEAN JONES
It’s the innings that made Jones an Aussie hero — and one recounted many times to sportsman’s night audiences for almost three decades.

In humid 40-degree Indian weather, Jones produced an inspirational first-innings knock of 210 in what was, remarkably, his first Test in two and a half years.

Teammate Greg Matthew remembers Jones’ eyes were “sunk back in his head and he was playing by memory” as Jones blasted his way to his maiden double hundred.

“On about 170, I wanted to go off because I was stopping the game every over to be sick,” Jones told Cricinfo in 2004.
After being dismissed, Jones had an ice bath. But as he hopped out of the bath, he passed out and was hospitalised with exhaustion.

“I have not seen a braver innings that Dean’s ... It was immensely courageous,” then-coach Bob Simpson said.

ANIL KUMBLE
When cricket fans think of courageous on-field acts, most would immediately think of injured batsmen facing up to speedy paceman.

But Kumble’s decision to bowl with a broken jaw against the West Indies in the Antigua Test of 2002 is one of the most inspiring efforts international cricket has ever seen.

Kumble was hit in the face by Windies paceman Mervyn Dillon while batting, leaving the legendary leg-spinner spitting blood and, consequently, with a broken jaw.

He was then due to fly back to Bangalore for surgery but, remarkably, opted to take the field again wearing a bandage around his jaw.

And not only did he take the field, he sent down 14 consecutive overs — and got through Brian Lara’s defences and bowled him.

“At least I can now go home with the thought that I tried my best,” Kumble said after his efforts...........

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/cricket/the-bravest-acts-in-international-cric...

it happens in many games

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Sports actions - Bravery or foolishness
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 8:14am

The game should allow a batsmen to retire and come back later in extreme circumstances.

I know the Poms will find a way to use this to cheat tho.

IP Logged

philperth2010

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 2:48pm

miketrees wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 8:14am:
The game should allow a batsmen to retire and come back later in extreme circumstances.

I know the Poms will find a way to use this to cheat tho.

A batsman can retire if he is injured during that innings and come back at the fall of any wicket!!!

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 12:11am

I think the rule is that you can retire ill. Being extremely dehydrated should be grounds to leave the field.

Like they say, "there is nothing worse than a dry Root".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print