Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Crown of Thorns outbreak on GBR (Read 1959 times)
lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Crown of Thorns outbreak on GBR
Reply #15 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:24am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 12:29am:
After a quick look, there is no information about what could eat the Triton Snail. Perhaps the shell is sufficient protection for it to live unchallenged. The snail might only get eaten by smaller microorganisms after it dies. Hopefully, the Triton can flourish along the Great Barrier Reef in the very near future.

So having decimated the crown-of-thorns starfish, to what do they turn their attention? Or do they simply die off? Do we exchange one perceived problem for another?

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #16 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:44am

Grendel wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 7:49am:
cods wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 2:48pm:
when we first came here they were blaming the Crown of Thorns.. no one had heard of CC back then...

then all of a sudden  one can only presume they all died  as they stopped talking about the Crown of thorns..

now they call it  The outbreak

so where have all these little beggars been in the last 50 years?...

LOL
For True Believers cods everything bad is due to Climate Change. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Go figure.

No you are wrong again Grendel
COT plagues have nothing to do with climate change

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #17 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 9:37pm

lee wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:24am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 12:29am:
After a quick look, there is no information about what could eat the Triton Snail. Perhaps the shell is sufficient protection for it to live unchallenged. The snail might only get eaten by smaller microorganisms after it dies. Hopefully, the Triton can flourish along the Great Barrier Reef in the very near future.

So having decimated the crown-of-thorns starfish, to what do they turn their attention? Or do they simply die off? Do we exchange one perceived problem for another?

To my knowledge, the Triton have been living along the Great Barrier Reef for centuries. Do some research on what else these snails eat. I would be very sure that these snails have done the right thing by the reef and the ecosystem, until people came along and starting picking up the shells for the purpose of using them as gifts. This collection of shells impede the Triton to reproduce on the beach. This is why we saw a significant decline in Triton numbers.

We will not see significant decline in Crown of Thorn Starfish numbers until the Triton can repopulate sufficiently to get through the massive number of COTS. This may take decades until we see COTS practically extinct. But, since the Triton are native to this region, it should not be a problem.

IP Logged

hatman92

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 7:45am

LOL
For True Believers cods everything bad is due to Climate Change. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Go figure.

Nah it is all due to farmers. We should handle them Zimbabwe style. That would solve all Australia's problems.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #19 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 10:21pm

Did anyone else feel really excited by the video footage of Tritons eating the wretched Crown of Thorns Starfish? Like, we have some sort of cure for our problems?

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #20 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 9:20am

The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:44am:
when we first came here they were blaming the Crown of Thorns.. no one had heard of CC back then...

then all of a sudden  one can only presume they all died  as they stopped talking about the Crown of thorns..

LOL
Go figure.

due to my limited knowledge of marine life- I think COT are merely a symptom of an ailing /sick reef- when the reefs defences are down or sick as it is now these nasty things move in- it would seem- so in effect climate change is to blame as Climate change weakens the reef

I thought the Tritons eating COT was heartening and could well be a cure for this problem in the future but then apple cider vinegar is a cure for most things so I have great faith in that and bi carb soda combo to take these things out

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #21 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 9:51am

Agnes wrote on Jan 21st, 2018 at 9:20am:

LOL
Go figure.

due to my limited knowledge of marine life- I think COT are merely a symptom of an ailing /sick reef- when the reefs defences are down or sick as it is now these nasty things move in- it would seem- so in effect climate change is to blame as Climate change weakens the reef

I thought the Tritons eating COT was heartening and could well be a cure for this problem in the future but then apple cider vinegar is a cure for most things so I have great faith in that and bi carb soda combo to take these things out

Try millions and  millions of tonnes of top soil, pesticides and fertiliser pouring onto the reef from thousands of farms along the QLD coast and inland.

This has been happening for decades but in order to 'maintain the rage' against climate change the lie needs to be oft repeated until it is 'fact'.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #22 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 9:57am

BigOl64 wrote on Jan 21st, 2018 at 9:51am:
Agnes wrote on Jan 21st, 2018 at 9:20am:

LOL
Go figure.

Try millions and  millions of tonnes of top soil, pesticides and fertiliser pouring onto the reef from thousands of farms along the QLD coast and inland.

This has been happening for decades but in order to 'maintain the rage' against climate change the lie needs to be oft repeated until it is 'fact'.

Agree.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #23 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 10:07am

thanks Big ole and that demonstrates that the problem is within our control although the lib govt have dedicated no serious energy or $ to eradicating and controlling the problem- instead appeasing  investors who want to rape and pillage the coast line- I have dived the reef QLD/Cook town region and it  was a sight to behold and the coral trout delicious -but  that beautiful eco system is under real threat and once gone- its gone- we want our children to enjoy it and their children and so on- so frustrating

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #24 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 10:13am

Agnes wrote on Jan 21st, 2018 at 10:07am:
thanks Big ole and that demonstrates that the problem is within our control although the lib govt have dedicated no serious energy or $ to eradicating and controlling the problem- instead appeasing  investors who want to rape and pillage the coast line- I have dived the reef QLD/Cook town region and it  was a sight to behold and the coral trout delicious -but  that beautiful eco system is under real threat and once gone- its gone- we want our children to enjoy it and their children and so on- so frustrating

There is only so much money to go around and gold plating south east QLD does not come cheap, so don't expect the QLD government to do much, if anything about the reef.

Hopefully our farmers will self manage their polluting ways and give some relief to the GBR.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print