Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adware/Malware on Apple Device Using Chrome (Read 909 times)
AiA
Gold Member

Adware/Malware on Apple Device Using Chrome
Jan 4th, 2018 at 3:45am

The other week I was in NOLA staying at an AirBnb accommodation and the host directed me to a link with a pdf download with the details of his accommodation. On my MacBook Air, I clicked on another link to get access to this pdf and in the meantime, an extension or two was added to Chrome as well as the homepage being changed. In Chrome getting rid of the unwanted extensions, etc is easy enough and I did that. But. Twice now I have gotten this absurd message along with a siren that my computer is infected and to click on a button for relief NOW. Well, I certainly don't click on the button and simply close the tab when it comes up but I don't know what else to do in Chrome and am wondering if malware somehow bypassed the Chrome browser and it somewhere in the Apple OS. Any thoughts?

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Re: Adware/Malware on Apple Device Using Chrome
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 6:27am

AiA wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 3:45am:
The other week I was in NOLA staying at an AirBnb accommodation and the host directed me to a link with a pdf download with the details of his accommodation. On my MacBook Air, I clicked on another link to get access to this pdf and in the meantime, an extension or two was added to Chrome as well as the homepage being changed. In Chrome getting rid of the unwanted extensions, etc is easy enough and I did that. But. Twice now I have gotten this absurd message along with a siren that my computer is infected and to click on a button for relief NOW. Well, I certainly don't click on the button and simply close the tab when it comes up but I don't know what else to do in Chrome and am wondering if malware somehow bypassed the Chrome browser and it somewhere in the Apple OS. Any thoughts?

I have had that message a couple of times AiA when I have opened some facebook links.     I use AVAST free antivirus plus CCleaner for Mac is available and neither of those detect anything.    It could be a cookie rather than Malware because once I ran CCleaner, it didn't happen again.

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 7:36am

thanks! will give that a try.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 10:30pm

Haven't had time to get back to this issue but last night, on another Apple device, a Mac Mini, the same thing happened in my Chrome browser - the same Chrome browser I am signed into on the MacBook Air - so it is definitely a Chrome issue.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 7:38pm

Give google chrome the arse, I have, for the same reason, it is the prime target for annoying ads, and popups that you have to run a cleaner or malware program to get rid of, even if you do run adblock.
Explorer 10 and Firefox both work well for me.

I get youtube with zero ads, using ublock, and ghostery. Ublock stops 99% and ghostery stops that last 1%. Ghostery by itself is not that good, but together with ublock it stops everything on firefox and explorer, but chrome still let's crap popups through even with them, so I dumped chrome, and no more probs.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print