Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Survey: most Aussies want to ban multiculticulti (Read 11973 times)
polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Survey: most Aussies want to ban multiculticulti
Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:33pm

Its official everyone, a national survey of 35000 Australians says 93% want to abolish multiculturalism.

My source?

Grendel, who says "Ring up ACA Everyone knew about it"

You simply can't dispute this undisputable fact - and if you do, Grendel's going to totally blow you out of the water with this earth shattering retort:

"Are you denying reality?"

Game over leftards, the people have spoken, and you simply can't deny reality.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: Survey: most Aussies want to ban multiculticulti
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 7:40pm

I have a scientifically valid, properly conducted and properly recorded public opinion poll that differs.  It suggests that 85% of Australians support Multiculturalism.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 7:41pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:33pm:
Its official everyone, a national survey of 35000 Australians says 93% want to abolish multiculturalism.

My source?

You simply can't dispute this undisputable fact - and if you do, Grendel's going to totally blow you out of the water with this earth shattering retort:

ACA   Grin

Oh my God, that's comedy gold.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 8:37pm

Wassup kiddies....  cant handle the truth...

Don't tell me you were all unborn at the time?

Wouldn't that make you all very very young...  we all know bwian isn't that young.  But hey bwian rarely tells the truth.  pathetic really...  just pathetic.

Much like YOU Gandalf. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 10:22pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 7:40pm:
I have a scientifically valid, properly conducted and properly recorded public opinion poll that differs.  It suggests that 85% of Australians support Multiculturalism.

http://www.premiumhealthpro.com/images/arrow.gif

Surprise surprise, something else very interesting in your link Brian

‘People
who
come
to (Australia)
should
change
their
behaviour
to
be
more
Australians.’

(percentage)

People who come to Australia
should  change their behaviour

Strongly agree
Agree
Sub-total agree

⬅⬅⬅⬅⬅

https://www.monash.edu/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/1189188/mapping-social-cohesi...

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 10:46pm

Surely these figures are fake Brian!

Table
48:
Is
your
personal
attitude
positive,
negative
or
neutral
towards
Muslims?
Scanlon
Foundation
surveys,

(percentage)
18-24 Yrs
25-34 Yrs
35-44 Yrs
45-54 Yrs
55-64 Yrs
65-74 Yrs
75+ Yrs
Average
Very positive

15.7               11.9               10.5               9.6               8.4               6.2               3.3               9.9

Somewhat positive

20.2             15.8             17.7             19.8             21.9             20.1             17.2             19.0 

https://www.monash.edu/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/1189188/mapping-social-cohesi...          

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #6 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 10:56pm

It always surprises me that people like you skip over the section which asks a direct question about views on Multiculturalism in favour of those that ask questions about other issues.

Oh, and it's much easier to take a screenshot and attach that, than it is to copy the results themselves because it makes it easier to make a direct comparison.

85% believe Multiculturalism has been beneficial to Australian society.  85%.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 11:21pm

Yes but we think that ethnics should change their behavior and we're not positive about muslims - got it?

Your 85% is in the big cities and 60% of those would be ethnic multiculturalists, sure they're going to agree

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #8 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 11:54pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 11:21pm:
Yes but we think that ethnics should change their behavior and we're not positive about muslims - got it?

Have I ever denied it?  I haven't claimed that you are "lying", now have i.  In a thread about Multiculturalism, surely the most important bit is the question, well about Multiculturalism.   Anything else is actually superfluous.

Quote:
Your 85% is in the big cities and 60% of those would be ethnic multiculturalists, sure they're going to agree

Does it matter?  They are all part of the Australian population.  Or does that rankle you as well?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 1:10pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 7:41pm:

My source?

ACA   Grin

Not at all. Check Stormfront for details.

IP Logged

AussieAmAndARC

Australian Politics

in your wildest dreams...
Reply #10 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 7:41pm

how do you 'abolish' multi culture when this country was BUILT on it.

sounds like selfish dirty 'squeaky unclean white' propaganda to me...

doesn't stop people of a different shade grouping me in with these losers.

35,000  - we are a country of 24, some odd million people.
sounds like a union group of banshees and bullies.
nasty gross lot.

IP Logged

0ktema
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 9:52pm

I think the more correct question for the survey participants should have been - What form should Multiculturalism take in our Pluralistic Society?

However to answer this question with any great competence would require much more public education around the term "multiculturalism" and what it means or could mean. 

"We Are Consciousness Itself"
- Adi Da Samraj

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 10:11pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 1:10pm:

My source?

ACA   Grin

Ah.

A reliable source.

That's better.

What's the URL, Herbie?

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 10:19pm

AussieAmAndARC wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 7:41pm:
how do you 'abolish' multi culture when this country was BUILT on it

We're discussing the official government policy of Multiculturalism, not the hordes of Chinese gold diggers in the 1800s (who by the way hid gold in human bones in funeral urns to sneak the gold out of Australia)

AussieAmAndARC wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 7:41pm:
35,000  - we are a country of 24, some odd million people.
sounds like a union group of banshees and bullies.
nasty gross lot.

Yes, 35,000 respondents participated in the survey and that survey is not entirely accurate for today given the rampaging of black Africans and Muslim terrorism 

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 2:46am

LOL
largest ever poll dopey.
Scanlon...  less than 1500.
Usual polling size these days...1000-1500....

BTW if you check Counterpoint ABC you will see another poll around the time where 85% wanted to bring back the White Australia policy.
I just want to see an end to cultural apartheid in Australia.

The Scanlon report as pointed out is fairly contradictory.  How can we have such a high Multiculti result given the other results over the years of the Scanlon surveys discrimination has apparently doubled...

Why do they present results 20-30 percent on average higher than other polls at the same time?

But we know why don't we because I explained that. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 11:44am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 10:11pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 1:10pm:

My source?

ACA   Grin

Ah.

A reliable source.

That's better.

What's the URL, Herbie?

Oh, Herbie doesn't go there anymore. He started sulking when they vandalised his threads on exterminating the tinted races. He decided to make the move to a more amenable board.

We're lucky to have him.

IP Logged

Bertie
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 5:29pm

Do we really want a population of 40m?
The Australian12:00AM July 18, 2017

One of the arguments put for such a substantial immigration program — and avoiding poverty is not one of them — is that the ageing of the population can be slowed. But the recent Productivity Commission analysis has dismissed this link: “(Immigration) delays rather than eliminates population ageing. In the long term, underlying trends in life expectancy mean that permanent immigrants (as they age) will themselves add to the proportion of the population aged 65 and over.”

This is one reason why some commentators refer to immigration as a sort of Ponzi scheme: any impact on the age profile of the population is only sustained if the program continues to be ramped up. And note that the PC’s analysis was undertaken before the government decided to provide a special temporary visa category for grandparents.

But what about the economic benefits of immigration? Returning to the analysis undertaken by the PC, by 2060 — a very long time away — it is estimated that per capita GDP will be 7 per cent higher based on the continuation of our immigration program compared with zero net migration.

But the PC makes it clear that no account is taken of the costs that immigration imposes on urban congestion, rising house prices, loss of social amenity or environment impacts. And compared with no net migration, real wages and productivity are actually lower with ongoing mass migration. The economic gains are simply the result of the (assumed) higher employment-to-population ratio.

In sum, it is important that we have a measured and informed debate about our immigration policies, in terms of both numbers and the integrity of the visa categories.

The benefits of high levels of immigration seem to be wildly overstated and oversold.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 5:41pm

They reckon the standard of living is dropping in Australia. I though multiculturalism was meant to make us wealthier??

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #18 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 6:04pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 5:41pm:
They reckon the standard of living is dropping in Australia. I though multiculturalism was meant to make us wealthier??

Never heard that argument.  Where did you dredge it from, Hammer?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 6:46pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 6:04pm:

Check out the new report on it. Living standards stood still last year and have risen by a total of barely 1 per cent over the past five years Brian.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #20 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 9:16pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 6:46pm:

Check out the new report on it. Living standards stood still last year and have risen by a total of barely 1 per cent over the past five years Brian.

What "new report" would that be?   A link will suffice.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 9:38pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 9:16pm:

Population growth masking Australia's economic weakness: CBA report
By business reporter Michael Janda
Updated 12 Jul 2017, 12:13pm

Australians continue to go backwards on many measures of income and wellbeing as high immigration rates see the nation's weak economic growth split between more people.
A report by Commonwealth Bank senior economist Gareth Aird has found that Australia's high immigration intake is papering over economic weakness in headline figures, but when you break down those numbers per person a bleaker picture is revealed.
"Per capita measures of the economy suggest that growth in living standards has stagnated and for some sections of the resident population, in particular younger people, it has gone backwards," he wrote.
This weakness is reflected in many aspects of living standards: from stubbornly high underemployment and weak wages growth to surging home prices and debt, as well as an increase in urban congestion.
Mr Aird pointed out that Australia has one of the highest population growth rates among developed economies, more than half of which is due to net immigration.

Photo: Australian population growth v other OECD nations. (Supplied: CBA)

However, while this makes Australia's headline economic growth rate look reasonable, on a per capita basis GDP growth has been trending downward since the recovery from Australia's last recession in the early 1990s.
This in turn has seen the Bureau of Statistics' key measure of household living standards - real net national income per capita - essentially flatline since the global financial crisis.
While there has been a recent modest uptick, it has been driven mainly by the rebound in commodity prices, much of which Mr Aird expects to reverse.
It has also gone almost exclusively to corporations through higher profits, while the share of national income going to workers has fallen to record lows.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 10:03am

The more people you invite to eat the pie the less pie you get.
Add multiculti to it and you get people squabbling over what sort of pie it should be.  or even if it should be a pie... Wink

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #23 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 4:19pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 9:38pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 9:16pm:

Population growth masking Australia's economic weakness: CBA report
By business reporter Michael Janda
Updated 12 Jul 2017, 12:13pm

Australians continue to go backwards on many measures of income and wellbeing as high immigration rates see the nation's weak economic growth split between more people.
A report by Commonwealth Bank senior economist Gareth Aird has found that Australia's high immigration intake is papering over economic weakness in headline figures, but when you break down those numbers per person a bleaker picture is revealed.
"Per capita measures of the economy suggest that growth in living standards has stagnated and for some sections of the resident population, in particular younger people, it has gone backwards," he wrote.
This weakness is reflected in many aspects of living standards: from stubbornly high underemployment and weak wages growth to surging home prices and debt, as well as an increase in urban congestion.
Mr Aird pointed out that Australia has one of the highest population growth rates among developed economies, more than half of which is due to net immigration.

Photo: Australian population growth v other OECD nations. (Supplied: CBA)

However, while this makes Australia's headline economic growth rate look reasonable, on a per capita basis GDP growth has been trending downward since the recovery from Australia's last recession in the early 1990s.
This in turn has seen the Bureau of Statistics' key measure of household living standards - real net national income per capita - essentially flatline since the global financial crisis.
While there has been a recent modest uptick, it has been driven mainly by the rebound in commodity prices, much of which Mr Aird expects to reverse.
It has also gone almost exclusively to corporations through higher profits, while the share of national income going to workers has fallen to record lows.

No mention of Multiculturalism in that media report, Hammer.   So, where did you dredge your claim from again?  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #24 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 7:38pm

Ok, so 85% of Australians believe in multiculturalism, and believe that migrants shouldn't integrate?

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 9:01pm

And there we have it bwian contradicts himself...  or was it Scanlon contradicting itself?
Multiculti as bwian and I have both said does not include integration or assimilation.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #26 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 9:36pm

Auggie wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 7:38pm:
Ok, so 85% of Australians believe in multiculturalism, and believe that migrants shouldn't integrate?

As you will no doubt see, that is exactly what some anti-Multiculturalists believe.   Multiculturalism is about people integrating into Australian society at their own rate, not the rate imposed by the anti-Multiculturalists.   There is no evidence that Multiculturalism leads to "ghettoisation" or anything like that.   You have the initial generations banding together in a foreign land for mutual benefit, while succeeding generations seek greater aspirational goals and move out amongst the wider community surrounding them.    The anti-Multiculturalists dislike Multiculturalism because they want everybody to wear the same black uniform that they do and march to the same drum beat that they do.   They hate individuality and difference.     Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bertie
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 9:40pm

Why is it the prerogative the people being accepted rather than the people accepting them?
Where else do the guests dictate the rules to the hosts?

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #28 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 9:42pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 9:36pm:

As you will no doubt see, that is exactly what some anti-Multiculturalists believe.   Multiculturalism is about people integrating into Australian society at their own rate, not the rate imposed by the anti-Multiculturalists.   There is no evidence that Multiculturalism leads to "ghettoisation" or anything like that.   You have the initial generations banding together in a foreign land for mutual benefit, while succeeding generations seek greater aspirational goals and move out amongst the wider community surrounding them.    The anti-Multiculturalists dislike Multiculturalism because they want everybody to wear the same black uniform that they do and march to the same drum beat that they do.   They hate individuality and difference.     Roll Eyes

People who live in Western Sydney would disagree with you.

The suburbs in Western Sydney were overwhelmingly against SSM. The majority of those suburbs are composed of migrants. Anthony Green even conceded that it was 'cultural' differences that led them to say no.

Ghettoisation is already happening in Western Sydney, or so I'm told. Ghettoisation has already happened in Europe.

Second, there seems to be this expectation that we become a multicultural society. Let me ask you this question: should Japan be a multicultural society?

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 10:32pm

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin
So all those enclaves are just figments of our imagination are they bwian...  you are a joke.
As for wanting to change the settlement policy...  since when did it ever make an individual what he or she is...  perhaps you need to seek help faster than I originally thought bwian... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #30 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 10:39pm

Bertie wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 9:40pm:
Why is it the prerogative the people being accepted rather than the people accepting them?

They are not "guests".  They are migrants.  They have been invited to join our society as equals.  Multiculturalism ensures that their needs and desires are met within our society.  To suggest they are "guests" shows that you do not accept them.   Remember, we as a society invited them here.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #31 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 12:00am

Auggie wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 9:42pm:

People who live in Western Sydney would disagree with you.

The suburbs in Western Sydney were overwhelmingly against SSM. The majority of those suburbs are composed of migrants. Anthony Green even conceded that it was 'cultural' differences that led them to say no.

Ghettoisation is already happening in Western Sydney, or so I'm told. Ghettoisation has already happened in Europe.

Second, there seems to be this expectation that we become a multicultural society. Let me ask you this question: should Japan be a multicultural society?

The term "ghetto" has negative connotations about it.   Are you aware of that?  It was once used to describe where the Jews were confined in European cities.

In Australia, we have suburbs where the rents/costs are cheaper than others.  They are where migrants, upon arrival tend to congregate.   They stay because they have friends/family from similar backgrounds to their own.  As their children mature, their aspirations change.   The children become better educated than their parents.  Australian is now their home.  They are no longer as connected to their past homelands, they have new aspirations, they want better homes, they want their own homes.  So they move out, into better suburbes/towns.  They set up businesses, have families.  In two or three generations, they are now fully Australian.  It worked for the Irish, the Scots, the Welsh, the Italians, the Greeks, the Serbs, the Croats, the Bosnians, the French, the Germans and so on.  Why the assumption that Muslims are somehow different merely because they dress differently or worship another god, smacks of Islamophobia, rather than reality.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #32 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 5:49am

They don't form enclaves due to cheaper rents Auggie.
The don't all integrate or assimilate Auggie.  Under Multiculi there is no call for it.
Perhaps they are racist or xenophobic eh?  What do you think?

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #33 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 8:50am

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 12:00am:
The term "ghetto" has negative connotations about it.   Are you aware of that?  It was once used to describe where the Jews were confined in European cities.

Yes, I am. Ghetto is also used in everyday language to refer to an isolated community.

Why the assumption that Muslims are somehow different merely because they dress differently or worship another god, smacks of Islamophobia, rather than reality.   

Because the second and third generation of migrants from Muslim-majority countries who identity themselves as Muslims, are not integrating. Look at Europe: second and third generation Muslims are not integrating. Did you know that 60% of British Muslims believe that homosexuals should be imprisoned (not 'not ok with gay marriage') but that they should be thrown jail. And most of these Muslims were born in Britain. Is that a sign of integration?

The point is not that Islam is different, it is that it is different IN THIS TIME. If we were in the 1930s then I would be saying that Nazism and Fascism were the greatest threats to Western Civilization; but we obliterated them. After WW2 it was Communism; and now it is Islamism.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #34 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 11:49am

Auggie wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 8:50am:

Yes, I am. Ghetto is also used in everyday language to refer to an isolated community.

It still has deliberately negative connotations, Augie.   South-West Sydney is not isolated.  It is part of Greater Sydney.   Were the Italian/Greek/Serbia/Croat/Bosnian communities considered "ghettos" in the same way?  No.   I see no evidence that the Muslims communities should be, except in the imaginations of the Islamophobes.    I have served with/studied with/worked with/lived besides Muslims for a great part of my life.  They have all been socialable, quite nice people.   I have treated them as normal Australians, something the Islamophobes find impossible to do.   The Islamophobes are the problem, not the Muslims.

Quote:
Why the assumption that Muslims are somehow different merely because they dress differently or worship another god, smacks of Islamophobia, rather than reality.   

Because the second and third generation of migrants from Muslim-majority countries who identity themselves as Muslims, are not integrating. Look at Europe: second and third generation Muslims are not integrating. Did you know that 60% of British Muslims believe that homosexuals should be imprisoned (not 'not ok with gay marriage') but that they should be thrown jail. And most of these Muslims were born in Britain. Is that a sign of integration?

We aren't discussing Europe.  I will though, point out that the European experience is very different to the Australian experience.   Europeans have been hostile to "foreign" influences for hundreds if not a thousand or more years.   Their concept of "Multiculturalism" is very different to the Australian one.   Their sources for their migrants has been very different.   They have concentrated mainly on the lower socio-economic groups whereas Australia has done the reverse.   So,  the experiences have been very different.

Being born amongst a hostile society does not guarantee you will love that society.   Britain and Europe imported Muslims as factory fodder.   Australia imported mainly well-educated, professional Muslims and some refugees.   Australian Muslims have a very different attitude towards Australia than Muslims in Europe or the UK have to their adopted countries.

I  wonder what proportion of overseas born immigrants who are not Muslims voted "Yes" for the same-sex marriage survey?   People like to point to the results from SW Sydney, claiming that it shows Muslims are all out of step with Australian society.   What they forget is that Muslims do not hold the majority in any of the electorates in SW Sydney.  Nor do they all universally abhor Gays.   Therefore, other immigrant communities had also to vote "No" for a majority to be reached.   The Islamophobes ignore that in their diatribes against Muslims.   There are more than enough conservative Christians in Australian society who also hate Gays.   Fortunately, a majority of Australians don't.

Because it suits their purposes, the Islamophobes like to paint all Muslims as "Borge-like" in their attitudes and views.  They are "all Terrorists" or "Terrorist supporters" because it fits the mindsets of the Islamophobes, despite the majority of Australian Muslims having fled conflicts and in particular Terrorists.  They all hate Gays because they throw Gays off buildings in Iran.   However, Iran is only a minority of Muslims and only the Sh'ia sect.   Many Muslims tolerate Gays, just as the overwhelming majority of Australian Christians do.   So be very careful about ascribing to an entire Religious community the views of the  most conservative of that community, Augie.

Quote:
The point is not that Islam is different, it is that it is different IN THIS TIME. If we were in the 1930s then I would be saying that Nazism and Fascism were the greatest threats to Western Civilization; but we obliterated them. After WW2 it was Communism; and now it is Islamism.

As I have pointed out, so it appears is conservative Christians.  So are conservative non-Christians.   So are conservative Hindus/Buddhists/etc. None fit the criteria of the "normal Australians".    I would say the greatest threat is Conservative Religion of all types.   It is interesting the similarities which Conservatives in different religions hold.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #35 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 2:05pm

First of all, the Europeans who migrated here after the war, many of the second generation integrated (not completely but still integrated). Many of them moved away from the ghettos and established themselves away from their parents’ suburbs.

You mention your Muslims friends. I remember you once spoke about your Muslim neighbour; I asked you what he believes: for eg does he support separation of church and state; freedom of speech, etc. Is he/are they Muslim first then Australian? You didn’t answer these questions. Is it because maybe they support sharia law, which oppressed women and minorities, and simply pay lip service to Australia?

Regarding Europe, the issue is simply number. They have more Muslims than we do. That’s it. Other minorities don’t have an issue with integration. Vietnamese in France for eg integrate very well as do other Asian migrants. The failure of Muslims to integrate in Europe has nothing to do with Europe and all to do with the migrants themselves.

Finally, I think we’re we get caught up is talking about the majority. “Oh the majority of Muslims don’t support offensive jihad etc.” Yes, that’s true; but neither did the majority of Germans support Nazism.

All it takes is for an organised, militant minority to cause problems. There needs to be enough support for those groups that they can be a force. It doesn’t require 51% of the population to support them; it may require only 10% to support them; but that’s 10% too many. Polls taken worldwide show that at least 20% of the Muslim population hold pernicious beliefs; that’s 200 million people!

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #36 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 3:47pm

Auggie wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 2:05pm:
First of all, the Europeans who migrated here after the war, many of the second generation integrated (not completely but still integrated). Many of them moved away from the ghettos and established themselves away from their parents’ suburbs.

You have evidence this is not happening with Muslims, Augie?  Real, verifiable evidence or just a "feeling"?

I have seen no evidence to support the claims of the Islamophobes that Muslims cannot or will not integrate/assimilate to Australian society.   We have had Muslims in Australia for nearly 200 years.   I served in the Australian Army with an officer who's great grandfather was an Afghan cameller in Australia.   He was fully integrated.   I have served with a Turkish-Cypriot who now considers himself "more Australian than Turkish".  He umpires today SANFL football games.   I have worked with Muslims for decades.   All have, as far as I can tell, "integrated" into Australian society.    Why is only in Sydney we have Muslim "ghettos"?   Why is only in Sydney we have Muslim Lebanese "gangs"?   You'd claim it was because of Islam, I suspect.  I would suggest it was because of Sydney.

Quote:
You mention your Muslims friends. I remember you once spoke about your Muslim neighbour; I asked you what he believes: for eg does he support separation of church and state; freedom of speech, etc. Is he/are they Muslim first then Australian? You didn’t answer these questions. Is it because maybe they support sharia law, which oppressed women and minorities, and simply pay lip service to Australia?

I didn't answer because there was no point.  My Muslim neighbours are "integrated" into Australian society.  Fully.   I also believe such questions are distasteful.   He has no desire to chop any one's head off.  He hates Terrorists with a passion.   He believes in moderation.   He is a professional in the Health department.   He doesn't deserve any questioning of his loyalties, any more than any other Australian does. 

Quote:
Regarding Europe, the issue is simply number. They have more Muslims than we do. That’s it. Other minorities don’t have an issue with integration. Vietnamese in France for eg integrate very well as do other Asian migrants. The failure of Muslims to integrate in Europe has nothing to do with Europe and all to do with the migrants themselves.

Actually, in terms of percentage, their numbers are not that much greater than ours, Augie.  Australia today has less than 4% Muslims.  France, is approximately 7%, Germany, about 5%,  the UK about 4%.    Roll Eyes

Quote:
Finally, I think we’re we get caught up is talking about the majority. “Oh the majority of Muslims don’t support offensive jihad etc.” Yes, that’s true; but neither did the majority of Germans support Nazism.

I would suggest buggerall Germans support Naziism, as it was.   I would suggest buggerall Muslims support Terrorism.

Quote:
All it takes is for an organised, militant minority to cause problems. There needs to be enough support for those groups that they can be a force. It doesn’t require 51% of the population to support them; it may require only 10% to support them; but that’s 10% too many. Polls taken worldwide show that at least 20% of the Muslim population hold pernicious beliefs; that’s 200 million people!

The thing is, you and the Islamophobes appear to act as if it is 90% which support Terrorism.  This is demonstrably untrue.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #37 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 3:59pm

oh dear bwian all that twaddle about Conservative Christians...  yet isn't it true that Muslims are the most Conservative.

I mean the penalty for apostasy is death. And the Koran is never to be altered in any way whatsoever. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #38 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 11:34pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 3:47pm:
You have evidence this is not happening with Muslims, Augie?  Real, verifiable evidence or just a "feeling"?

You only need to look at Europe. I don't buy the argument that Europeans have been hostile to migrants. Asian migrants in Europe seemed to have done quite well. France is an open and tolerant society, and has been for decades.

The issue is the number of Muslim migrants in those countries, up to 7.5% of the population in the case of France.

The reason why Muslims are well integrated in the United States and Australia is because there's less of them.

I have seen no evidence to support the claims of the Islamophobes that Muslims cannot or will not integrate/assimilate to Australian society.   We have had Muslims in Australia for nearly 200 years.   I served in the Australian Army with an officer who's great grandfather was an Afghan cameller in Australia.   He was fully integrated.   I have served with a Turkish-Cypriot who now considers himself "more Australian than Turkish".  He umpires today SANFL football games.   I have worked with Muslims for decades.   All have, as far as I can tell, "integrated" into Australian society.    Why is only in Sydney we have Muslim "ghettos"?   Why is only in Sydney we have Muslim Lebanese "gangs"?   You'd claim it was because of Islam, I suspect.  I would suggest it was because of Sydney.

Which is exactly my point. It's about numbers. SA has less Muslims and so they integrate better into society compared with Sydney where there are more numbers. When you have smaller numbers they are easier to integrate into society.

Second, as a side note, Turkey has been a secular state and cannot be used as valid example. Also, your Afghan friend has been here for generations. In both cases, they're not really comparable examples.

I didn't answer because there was no point.  My Muslim neighbours are "integrated" into Australian society.  Fully.   I also believe such questions are distasteful.   He has no desire to chop any one's head off.  He hates Terrorists with a passion.   He believes in moderation.   He is a professional in the Health department.   He doesn't deserve any questioning of his loyalties, any more than any other Australian does. 

So, the answer is no. So, how do you know that he's integrated? Integration is about your values. If your neighbour believes in Sharia law, then he hasn't integrated. Sure, he hates terrorists, so do we all. Maybe he does support Sharia law???

Actually, in terms of percentage, their numbers are not that much greater than ours, Augie.  Australia today has less than 4% Muslims.  France, is approximately 7%, Germany, about 5%,  the UK about 4%.   

Exactly, and we're starting to witness the affects of it. 7% of 50 million is a significant number, as is 4% of 50 million. America has 0.9% Muslims. Wonder why they better integrate into American society?

I would suggest buggerall Germans support Naziism, as it was.   I would suggest buggerall Muslims support Terrorism.

The thing is, you and the Islamophobes appear to act as if it is 90% which support Terrorism.  This is demonstrably untrue.

The things, you and the Islamic apologists appear to act is if it 0.000001% of which support Terrorism. This demonstrably untrue.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #39 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 7:54am

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 10:39pm:

They are not "guests".  They are migrants.  They have been invited to join our society as equals.  Multiculturalism ensures that their needs and desires are met within our society.  To suggest they are "guests" shows that you do not accept them.   Remember, we as a society invited them here.

TO BASE A SETTLEMENT POLICY ON
TOLERANCE
MEANS NOBODY ACCEPTS ANYBODY.

Wakey, wakey Bwian, decades of being asleep on this is showing you up as retarded.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #40 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 8:30am

Maybe we should 'invite' a better class of migrant, one that is less demanding and less of a burden on our society.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #41 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:13pm

BigOl64 wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 8:30am:

Maybe we should 'invite' a better class of migrant, one that is less demanding and less of a burden on our society.

Let me guess, ones who are White, Anglo-Saxon/Celtic, preferably Protestant Christian and above all else, Tory voters?

Not many left of that stock in the world - thank goodness.    I wonder what the Indigenous Australians think about them?   Or doesn't their opinion count?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:15pm

That rules out Herbie.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #43 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:29pm

Auggie wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 11:34pm:

You only need to look at Europe. I don't buy the argument that Europeans have been hostile to migrants. Asian migrants in Europe seemed to have done quite well. France is an open and tolerant society, and has been for decades.

Well, first up, we aren't Europe.  We are Australians, in Australia.   Secondly, you have no understanding of the problems that Asian migrants have had in Europe - the Indians, the Pakistanis, the Bangladeshis, etc.   They are still not accepted in the UK.  They are not accepted that well in France or Germany, or any other European country.   Antagonism towards them has been in the past, extreme.   It is only the arrival of large numbers of Muslims from the Middle-East and SW Asia which has changed that.

Quote:
The issue is the number of Muslim migrants in those countries, up to 7.5% of the population in the case of France.

Well, who's fault is that?  The Muslim migrants or the French authorities?  When they were desperate for factory fodder, they welcomed the Muslim migrants.  When factories closed, and competition became more fierce they turned on the most recent migrants.   The Germans have long been antagonistic towards their Turkish "guest workers".

Quote:
The reason why Muslims are well integrated in the United States and Australia is because there's less of them.

Well, percentage wise, yes, I'd agree.  However, in absolute numbers, in the US they far outweigh the numbers downunder.   You also seem to be assuming all American Muslims are migrants to the USA.  Very few are.  Most American Muslims are domestically "grown" - either converts or born there, as are most Australian Muslims.

Quote:
Which is exactly my point. It's about numbers. SA has less Muslims and so they integrate better into society compared with Sydney where there are more numbers. When you have smaller numbers they are easier to integrate into society.

Numbers are meaningless.  South Australia has had a far longer association with Muslims than Sydney has.  We had Camellers back in the mid-late-19th century.   Sydney had a handful of sailors.   Adelaide has one of the oldest Mosques in Australia, in the city centre.   Muslims are basically accepted by most South Australians.  Sydneysiders appear to have problems.   I don't think it is the Muslim's fault completely.  I'd suggest it was in part, the Sydneysiders'.   They don't like people who are different.  They don't like the Indochinese, they don't like the Muslims.     Roll Eyes

Quote:
Second, as a side note, Turkey has been a secular state and cannot be used as valid example. Also, your Afghan friend has been here for generations. In both cases, they're not really comparable examples.

I disagree.  Both demonstrate that Muslims can integrate and do become part of the wider Australian community.   I remember my Turkish-Cypriot friend being very welcomed in the local RSL before 11 September.  Afterwards?   Everybody was suspicious.   He hadn't changed - they had.

Quote:
So, the answer is no. So, how do you know that he's integrated? Integration is about your values. If your neighbour believes in Sharia law, then he hasn't integrated. Sure, he hates terrorists, so do we all. Maybe he does support Sharia law???

How do I know you're integrated, Augie?  Mmm?   Don't ask stupid questions.  Does he dance around in an Arab robe, waving a sword, screaming "Allahu Akaba"?   Of course bloody not.   Apart from the fact he isn't Arab.   You have some really weird ideas, I'd suggest, really weird ideas.

Quote:
Exactly, and we're starting to witness the affects of it. 7% of 50 million is a significant number, as is 4% of 50 million. America has 0.9% Muslims. Wonder why they better integrate into American society?

Because America accepts them, in their major cities.   Outside, they are just as narrow minded as it appears you are, Augie.  Even more so.  "Towel heads?  Kill 'em all!"   Roll Eyes

Quote:
The things, you and the Islamic apologists appear to act is if it 0.000001% of which support Terrorism. This demonstrably untrue.

I believe a tiny minority in Australia actively support Terrorism, Augie.  Figures?  Don't have them but it seems to be mainly young, impressionable people who the Police catch.   Yet you seem to think that the majority of Muslims support Terrorism.  Why?  Because the media tells you that?  Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #44 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:30pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:15pm:

That rules out Herbie.

He's Chinese, isn't he?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:42pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:30pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:15pm:

That rules out Herbie.

He's Chinese, isn't he?   Roll Eyes

Dunno, but he's very demanding as well as being a burden on society.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #46 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 5:23pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 11:21pm:

Your 85% is in the big cities and 60% of those would be ethnic multiculturalists sure they're going to agree

Correct!

And it's well known that survey companies save time and effort by going to our universities to canvas opinion ... places where more than 80% of the students are visibly ethnic whether they were born here or not.

A survey among Australians of European background would be the only valid poll on opinions.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #47 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 5:41pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:42pm:
Dunno, but he's very demanding as well as being a burden on society.

Appears to be true...   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #48 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 8:29pm

Herb, just ignore him...  bwian's claim that 20,400,000 Australians support Multiculturalism is a lie.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #49 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 9:08pm

Grendel wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 8:29pm:
Herb, just ignore him...  bwian's claim that 20,400,000 Australians support Multiculturalism is a lie.

In truth, I believe he's probably right.

I myself enjoy seeing different races and colours around me, just so long as the numbers don't reach Critical Mass and as a white person of European descent you find yourself a very small minority as in Sydney's Parramatta and many other suburbs.

It was always a question of numbers, not whether they have Asian features or they're black Africans.

Once they started to bulk-up in certain Sydney suburbs, that's when even the most tolerant have started to question the immigration program.

A huge percentage of even Labor voters AND Greens voters want a stop to any further Muslim immigration.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #50 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 9:27pm

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Still unable to face facts.   85% of Australians said they appreciate Multiculturalism.  Now, how is that report, a "lie"?  How is the survey that produced those results, a "lie"?   No one has presented any evidence that either I or the Scanlon Report are lying.   They just shriek, "Lie!"  "Lie!"  "Lie!"  Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #51 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 11:10pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:29pm:
Secondly, you have no understanding of the problems that Asian migrants have had in Europe - the Indians, the Pakistanis, the Bangladeshis, etc.

When I said Asians, I was referring to those of East Asian background such as Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese and Korean. Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are majority Muslims.

Next??

Well, who's fault is that?  The Muslim migrants or the French authorities?  When they were desperate for factory fodder, they welcomed the Muslim migrants.  When factories closed, and competition became more fierce they turned on the most recent migrants.   The Germans have long been antagonistic towards their Turkish "guest workers".

It's the fault of the French authorities for having such an immigration policy.

Well, percentage wise, yes, I'd agree.  However, in absolute numbers, in the US they far outweigh the numbers downunder.   You also seem to be assuming all American Muslims are migrants to the USA.  Very few are.  Most American Muslims are domestically "grown" - either converts or born there, as are most Australian Muslims.

No, I'm saying that the percentage of Muslims in American is 0.9%, whether they're homegrown or not. The lesser the number, the easier it is to integrate migrants.

ers back in the mid-late-19th century.   Sydney had a handful of sailors.   Adelaide has one of the oldest Mosques in Australia, in the city centre.   Muslims are basically accepted by most South Australians.  Sydneysiders appear to have problems.   I don't think it is the Muslim's fault completely.  I'd suggest it was in part, the Sydneysiders'.   They don't like people who are different.  They don't like the Indochinese, they don't like the Muslims.    

Really? Sydney is a cosmopolitan society. I doubt that this is the case. It ultimately comes down to numbers, and to the fact that there is a dangerous ideology out there, which is encouraging people not to integrate into society.

I disagree.  Both demonstrate that Muslims can integrate and do become part of the wider Australian community.   I remember my Turkish-Cypriot friend being very welcomed in the local RSL before 11 September.  Afterwards?   Everybody was suspicious.   He hadn't changed - they had.

It does matter. Completely ignoring the historical development of a nation is ignorance. Of course, it's wrong when a Muslim gets a dirty look or is discriminated against. It's also true that many Muslims support terrorism, and hold pernicious beliefs about women and minorities.

How do I know you're integrated, Augie?  Mmm?   Don't ask stupid questions.

I'm integrated because I speak English with an Australian accent; am loyal to King and country; was baptised an Anglican, and support core liberal values. I'm fully integrated.

Does he dance around in an Arab robe, waving a sword, screaming "Allahu Akaba"?   Of course bloody not.   Apart from the fact he isn't Arab.   You have some really weird ideas, I'd suggest, really weird ideas.

Did I say anything about clothing? I said it was about 'values' and 'beliefs'. A person can dress as a Muslim but believe in separation of church of state; just as the opposite can occur.

Separation of church and state is non-negotiable in Australia, and all migrants and citizens should support the secular state.

Because America accepts them, in their major cities.   Outside, they are just as narrow minded as it appears you are, Augie.  Even more so.  "Towel heads?  Kill 'em all!"   

No, because there are less of them.

Second, I never said anything about killing Muslims. I have friends who are Muslims. I'm simply recognising the danger of the ideology of Islamism. You're burying your head in the sand about the reality that values and beliefs have on actions.

I believe a tiny minority in Australia actively support Terrorism, Augie.  Figures?  Don't have them but it seems to be mainly young, impressionable people who the Police catch.   Yet you seem to think that the majority of Muslims support Terrorism.  Why?  Because the media tells you that?  Tsk, tsk.   

You're misquoting me. I never said that the majority support terrorism; I said that a large minority do. It's about degree. There's a huge difference between 0.1% about 10%. As I said it didn't take 51% of Germans for the Nazis to come into power; but a significant minority in German at the time did support Nazism, and this was enough for them to have power.

I would say that around 1 in 10 Muslims around the world support terrorism, and that's being conservative.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #52 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 8:54am

Oh, dearie, dearie, me bwian.  Still unable to face facts. 
20,400,000 Australians do not support Multiculturalism as you claimed.
  Even though I note you keep rewording your claim a lot bwian...  wassup...  lying getting more difficult for you? 
The Scanlon founder is pro- large immigration and pro-multiculturalism...  his foundation is not a government or academic institute.  They surveyed mostly like minded people bwian...  1200....  not 35,000 where 93% wanted and end to multiculturalism.
Their results are not backed up by other polls, taken around the same times and their results and methodology are refuted by Institutes like The Australian Population Research Institute.... 

Now, how is it that YOU lie?  You claimed bwian that 85% of Australians supported Multiculturalism based on a dodgey survey bwian. 
YOU lied that "No one has presented any evidence that either I or the Scanlon Report are lying"  oh dear bwian...  been posted many times, this is just another one.

Quote:
They just shriek, "Lie!"  "Lie!"  "Lie!"  Tsk, tsk.
    Roll Eyes

yes bwian tsk,tsk, tsk...  there you go lying again.

93% of 35,000 polled nationally want an end to Multiculturalism.
85% of 30,000+ polled agree with Andrew Fraser and wanted a return to some form of the White Australia Policy.

I'm guessing none of these people were polled by Scanlon. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #53 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 3:58pm

Auggie wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 11:10pm:
Secondly, you have no understanding of the problems that Asian migrants have had in Europe - the Indians, the Pakistanis, the Bangladeshis, etc.

When I said Asians, I was referring to those of East Asian background such as Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese and Korean. Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are majority Muslims.

As are Malaysians, Indonesians, Augie.  Scratch an Australian and their definition of what constitutes an "Asian" leaves two thirds of the continent out.  Scratch a Britisher and they include about another third.  Asia stretches from Turkey to the Bering Strait.   You cannot claim one thing and leave out the rest of it because it doesn't suit you, Augie.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #54 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 4:15pm

It's the fault of the French authorities for having such an immigration policy.

Perhaps it is but they had one and they now have Muslims in their country.   You can deport them all back to where they came from except of course for the French citizens, which is about four fifths of their number.   Or are you one of those people who thinks citizenship is optional?

Quote:
No, I'm saying that the percentage of Muslims in American is 0.9%, whether they're homegrown or not. The lesser the number, the easier it is to integrate migrants.

Funny, I always understood "migrants" came from another country.  "Homegrown" means they were born American citizens.   So much for citizenship it seems.

Quote:
Really? Sydney is a cosmopolitan society. I doubt that this is the case. It ultimately comes down to numbers, and to the fact that there is a dangerous ideology out there, which is encouraging people not to integrate into society.

Sydney is reluctantly a cosmopolitan society, Augie. As I've pointed out, they didn't like the Indochinese when they first arrived.   They don't like the Muslims.   They didn't like the Italians/Greeks/Serbs/Croats/Bosnians either.  Starting to see a pattern yet?   They didn't like the Catholics, the Eastern Orthodox, the Copts...  Seeing the patter yet?   Anything at all?

Quote:
It does matter. Completely ignoring the historical development of a nation is ignorance. Of course, it's wrong when a Muslim gets a dirty look or is discriminated against. It's also true that many Muslims support terrorism, and hold pernicious beliefs about women and minorities.

Quote:
I'm integrated because I speak English with an Australian accent; am loyal to King and country; was baptised an Anglican, and support core liberal values. I'm fully integrated.

"King and country"?  Well, we haven't had a King for what sixty odd years.  So you don't appear that integrated.  To me, you sound integrated but to Herbie, you're still a "Johnny-Foreigner".   To him and his cohorts,  you're a migrant.  Tsk, tsk.    Why should we accept your word, hey?

BTW, how do you measure "integration"?  Is there a scale?   Roll Eyes

Quote:
Did I say anything about clothing? I said it was about 'values' and 'beliefs'. A person can dress as a Muslim but believe in separation of church of state; just as the opposite can occur.

Separation of church and state is non-negotiable in Australia, and all migrants and citizens should support the secular state.

You better take that up with Tone Rabbit.   He seems to disagree with you.   Tsk, tsk.  Does that make him "unAustralian"?

I agree, in part, with your comment but as our system is set up to separate Church and State - indeed most Australians don't even believe in God and wouldn't know what the Church was on about...    Roll Eyes

Quote:
No, because there are less of them.

To the bigoted, numbers are meaningless.  We presenting have less than 4% who are Muslim.   Yet, according to some who post here we are about to be taken over by Muslims.    Roll Eyes

Quote:
Second, I never said anything about killing Muslims. I have friends who are Muslims. I'm simply recognising the danger of the ideology of Islamism. You're burying your head in the sand about the reality that values and beliefs have on actions.

No, I am pointing out what the opponents of Multiculturalism say about it and Immigrants, Augie.   As they appear to be ignoring you, it seems to fall to me to be a Devil's Advocate...

Quote:
You're misquoting me. I never said that the majority support terrorism; I said that a large minority do. It's about degree. There's a huge difference between 0.1% about 10%. As I said it didn't take 51% of Germans for the Nazis to come into power; but a significant minority in German at the time did support Nazism, and this was enough for them to have power.

I would say that around 1 in 10 Muslims around the world support terrorism, and that's being conservative.

I would suggest that I am not "misquoting" you as reacting to what you have said, Augie.  A "large minority" in my book must constitute up to about 49%.   To you, it appears to be a statistically insignificant figure of about 10%.    I'd actually say the active supporters of Terrorism world wide would be half that.   In Australia, I would suggest that they constitute about a tenth of that (ie, about 1%).    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #55 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 4:32pm

there you go....  bwian lives in fantasy land...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #56 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 4:53pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 3:58pm:

As are Malaysians, Indonesians, Augie.  Scratch an Australian and their definition of what constitutes an "Asian" leaves two thirds of the continent out.  Scratch a Britisher and they include about another third.  Asia stretches from Turkey to the Bering Strait.   You cannot claim one thing and leave out the rest of it because it doesn't suit you, Augie.    Roll Eyes

Next time I'll be sure to put East in front of Asian.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #57 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 5:00pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 4:15pm:
Perhaps it is but they had one and they now have Muslims in their country.   You can deport them all back to where they came from except of course for the French citizens, which is about four fifths of their number.   Or are you one of those people who thinks citizenship is optional?

No, citizens shouldn't be deported. Happy?

Funny, I always understood "migrants" came from another country.  "Homegrown" means they were born American citizens.   So much for citizenship it seems.

Well, most Muslims would be migrants or children of migrants, given that America is predominately Christian. Makes sense, lots of?

ell, we haven't had a King for what sixty odd years.  So you don't appear that integrated.  To me, you sound integrated but to Herbie, you're still a "Johnny-Foreigner".   To him and his cohorts,  you're a migrant.  Tsk, tsk.    Why should we accept your word, hey?

And we will have a King in the next decade or so, so I will be integrated, if that helps??

Well, if Herbie thinks I'm a foreigner then that's his problem, not mine. And you shouldn't be listening to people who say things like that. They can't see the grey areas, you see.

Well, you can accept my word, or not. Up to you. Just because I'm the son of migrants, do you expect me to be in favour of multiculturalism and non-integration??? So, am I a race-traitor now, an Uncle Tom??

BTW, how do you measure "integration"?  Is there a scale?   

Sure, you must believe in liberal values; they are:

1) separation of church of state;
2) freedom of speech;
3) equality for women;
4) equality for minorities;
5) freedom to practise your religion without fear of violence.

Next, you should be 'Australian-first, then whatever after.

You should be able to communicate with the broader community; but you don't have to English as well as I can. And I speak English better than most 'white' Australians.

You better take that up with Tone Rabbit.   He seems to disagree with you.   Tsk, tsk.  Does that make him "unAustralian"?

Tone Abbot is not against separation of church and state. If you think he is, how so??

n part, with your comment but as our system is set up to separate Church and State - indeed most Australians don't even believe in God and wouldn't know what the Church was on about...   

What part don't you agree with?

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #58 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 7:50am

You are wasting your time with this fool Auggie... in over 2 decades he hasn't changed his mind one little bit... he lies, obfuscates, dissembles and is a disingenuous prat.  Surely you've figured this out by now.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #59 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:33am

And frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn if it's racist to say I'm tired of reading about Blacks on the Rampage down there in Melbourne.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #60 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:34am

Lord Herbert wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:33am:
And frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn if it's racist to say I'm tired of reading about Blacks on the Rampage down there in Melbourne.

Stop reading it, then.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #61 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 11:10am

I'd actually say the active supporters of Terrorism world wide would be half that.   In Australia, I would suggest that they constitute about a tenth of that (ie, about 1%).    

So, Brian you said that in your opinion you say that about 5% of Muslims worldwide actively support terrorism. Based on that calculation, that’s 90 million people.

No small number is it? And that’s NOT counting the numbers who believe in subjugating women and oppressing gays.

You think 5% of Christians actively support terrorism?? Doubt it.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #62 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 11:13am

Grendel wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 7:50am:
You are wasting your time with this fool Auggie... in over 2 decades he hasn't changed his mind one little bit... he lies, obfuscates, dissembles and is a disingenuous prat.  Surely you've figured this out by now.

I used to have more respect for Brian but lost it quickly when he brought up a personal matter, completely unrelated to argument.

You and I have our disagreements but it’s fair to say that we’ve kept it civil.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #63 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 3:12pm

Auggie wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 11:10am:
I'd actually say the active supporters of Terrorism world wide would be half that.   In Australia, I would suggest that they constitute about a tenth of that (ie, about 1%).    

So, Brian you said that in your opinion you say that about 5% of Muslims worldwide actively support terrorism. Based on that calculation, that’s 90 million people.

No small number is it? And that’s NOT counting the numbers who believe in subjugating women and oppressing gays.

Percentages are always deceptive, Augie.

"5%" sounds a lot when rendered into real numbers but it is statistically an insignificant quantity.  Anything about 10% is.   It could as great as 5% it could as little as 1%.   Like anything that indicates "support" that can range from, "pass the ammunition!" to "Oh, here is a few Shekels for the cause, Brother!"   90 Million sounds big but when spread over the entire Muslim world, it is quite small.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #64 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 3:14pm

Auggie wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 11:13am:
Grendel wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 7:50am:

I used to have more respect for Brian but lost it quickly when he brought up a personal matter, completely unrelated to argument.

You and I have our disagreements but it’s fair to say that we’ve kept it civil.

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Augie, you were the one who first mentioned that "personal matter", not me.  You did not flag it with a warning.   I merely used information that you provided.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #65 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 4:05pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 3:12pm:

"5%" sounds a lot when rendered into real numbers but it is statistically an insignificant quantity.  Anything about 10% is.   It could as great as 5% it could as little as 1%.   Like anything that indicates "support" that can range from, "pass the ammunition!" to "Oh, here is a few Shekels for the cause, Brother!"   90 Million sounds big but when spread over the entire Muslim world, it is quite small.    Roll Eyes

90 million is a large number, even globally. It's enough to give impetus to terrorist groups and to organize radicalist communities.

Again, do you think that 5% of the global Christian population hold pernicious beliefs?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #66 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 4:32pm

Auggie wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 4:05pm:

90 million is a large number, even globally. It's enough to give impetus to terrorist groups and to organize radicalist communities.

Again, do you think that 5% of the global Christian population hold pernicious beliefs?

If by "pernicious beliefs" you mean dislike of Gays, misogynistic views about women and so on, I'd have to say, easily.   Easily, Augie.    Then you have to ask, what degree of those "pernicious beliefs" they hold - do they mean throw all Gays off buildings, make women subservient and barefoot and pregnant?   Some do, some don't.   Just look back that the history of these fora, where people like Herbie and Co. are always complaining about feminism and so on.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #67 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 4:40pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 4:32pm:
Auggie wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 4:05pm:

If by "pernicious beliefs" you mean dislike of Gays, misogynistic views about women and so on, I'd have to say, easily.   Easily, Augie.    Then you have to ask, what degree of those "pernicious beliefs" they hold - do they mean throw all Gays off buildings, make women subservient and barefoot and pregnant?   Some do, some don't.   Just look back that the history of these fora, where people like Herbie and Co. are always complaining about feminism and so on.    Roll Eyes

What I mean by pernicious beliefs is the following:

1) criminalization of homosexuality (to the extent that a person should be thrown in jail);
2) women cannot hold positions of power or adjudicate over matters solely concerning men in a court of law;
3) do not support representative democracy;
4) do not support 'separation of church and state'.

Dislike of gays, misogyny are very vague terms that don't really mean anything unless you provide me with a practical example. Do you believe that 5% of Christians hold any ONE of the pernicious beliefs that I HAVE LISTED ABOVE.

Second, I cannot speak for Herbie, but criticism of Feminism is criticism of Third-Wave Feminism, which propagates misandry and man-hating.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #68 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 5:15pm

Auggie wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 4:40pm:
[quote author=Brian_Ross link=1514968393/66#66 date=1516084355][quote author=augcaesarustus link=1514968393/65#65 date=1516082713]
What I mean by pernicious beliefs is the following:

1) criminalization of homosexuality (to the extent that a person should be thrown in jail);
2) women cannot hold positions of power or adjudicate over matters solely concerning men in a court of law;
3) do not support representative democracy;
4) do not support 'separation of church and state'.

Dislike of gays, misogyny are very vague terms that don't really mean anything unless you provide me with a practical example. Do you believe that 5% of Christians hold any ONE of the pernicious beliefs that I HAVE LISTED ABOVE.

Russian, Uganda, India - all non-Islamic nations have in the last 10 years or so, outlawed Homosexuality, Augie.

There have been definitely a two step forward, one step back approach to Homosexuality around the world.  Downunder, we legalised by a very circuitous route, Same-Sex-Marriage.   Something well within the power of the Parliament to do without recourse to the people.   However, to appease the Conservatives, Prime Minister Trumble was forced to appeal to the people and have the ABS ask them.

I'd say about 5% of Christians, or more, believe that Homosexuality should be outlawed, easily.

Quote:
Second, I cannot speak for Herbie, but criticism of Feminism is criticism of Third-Wave Feminism, which propagates misandry and man-hating.

Well, they don't differentiate - deliberately between the various "waves", Augie.  To them, "Feminism" is a dirty word.   Their views would fit quite well with many conservative Muslims IMO.

Feminism is IMO well, feminism - the rights of women being recognised.   Simples really and I am constantly amazed that some Australians still believe women should be subservient.   Doesn't matter what religion they are, either.   Thankfully, that is long dead and buried, despite all the bleating about it here and elsewhere.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #69 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 5:33pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 5:15pm:
Russian, Uganda, India - all non-Islamic nations have in the last 10 years or so, outlawed Homosexuality, Augie.

Ok, so did a bit a research. Same-sex consensual sex is not illegal in Russia, so it's not criminalized; but the majority do support discrimination against same-sex couples/people.

If this is the case, and according to my own logic, then most Russians wouldn't be able to integrate into society because they cannot accept homosexuality; therefore my integrationist policy would make it harder for Russian to become citizens, or permanently migrate to Australia. From a theoretically point of view, if the majority of Russians believe this, then we shouldn't be taking them in in such great numbers.

Is it racist to say that about Russians?

Downunder, we legalised by a very circuitous route, Same-Sex-Marriage.   Something well within the power of the Parliament to do without recourse to the people.   However, to appease the Conservatives, Prime Minister Trumble was forced to appeal to the people and have the ABS ask them.

Not being for same-sex marriage is not the same as believing in its criminalization. It's not homophobic to be against ssm. I voted in favour of it, but I understand the conservative's arguments fully. But, that's for another thread.

I'd say about 5% of Christians, or more, believe that Homosexuality should be outlawed, easily.

In that case, then my immigration policy would equally apply to those people. The policy isn't based on race or religion, it's based on those values I specified above. If you don't believe them, doesn't matter than you're whitest white person on the planet, you cannot get citizenship to Australia.

Well, they don't differentiate - deliberately between the various "waves", Augie.  To them, "Feminism" is a dirty word.   Their views would fit quite well with many conservative Muslims IMO.

Well, that's not my fault, is it?

Simples really and I am constantly amazed that some Australians still believe women should be subservient. 

Like that idiot on the commercial for 'Married at First Sight' who said that 'Men are getting beaten by their girlfriends... Why shouldn't we be like other countries?'????

Every time I see that, I feel disgusted. Men like that should be shot.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #70 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 2:50pm

Bwian states unequivocally...
"Simples really and I am constantly amazed that some Australians still believe women should be subservient." 
So bwian what is the Muslim attitude to women.
Must they be covered up....  subservience.
Must they walk behind their men...  subservience...
Etc, etc, etc, bwian...  so you are against Islamic practices then bwian?
But cant say anything except against Western cultures right?
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2018 at 4:03pm by Grendel »  

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #71 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 3:55pm

Auggie wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 5:33pm:

Ok, so did a bit a research. Same-sex consensual sex is not illegal in Russia, so it's not criminalized; but the majority do support discrimination against same-sex couples/people.

The Russians have stopped short of criminalising it.  However, they are doing everything but making it illegal.  Gays are warned about attending the 2018 World Cup...

Quote:
If this is the case, and according to my own logic, then most Russians wouldn't be able to integrate into society because they cannot accept homosexuality; therefore my integrationist policy would make it harder for Russian to become citizens, or permanently migrate to Australia. From a theoretically point of view, if the majority of Russians believe this, then we shouldn't be taking them in in such great numbers.

Is it racist to say that about Russians?

It is Xenophobic.   Russians leaving Russia may well be doing so because they disagree with the present Russian Government's policies.  You would deny them a safe haven.   So much for mercy, hey, Augie?  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

Quote:
Downunder, we legalised by a very circuitous route, Same-Sex-Marriage.   Something well within the power of the Parliament to do without recourse to the people.   However, to appease the Conservatives, Prime Minister Trumble was forced to appeal to the people and have the ABS ask them.

Not being for same-sex marriage is not the same as believing in its criminalization. It's not homophobic to be against ssm. I voted in favour of it, but I understand the conservative's arguments fully. But, that's for another thread.

Yet you are attacking the conservative viewpoint, Augie.   You don't wish those holding those views to become citizens.  Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes

Quote:

In that case, then my immigration policy would equally apply to those people. The policy isn't based on race or religion, it's based on those values I specified above. If you don't believe them, doesn't matter than you're whitest white person on the planet, you cannot get citizenship to Australia.

It is based on political views.  Views which I note a third of the Australian population more than likely support.  Are they to be deported because of their views?  Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes

Quote:

Well, that's not my fault, is it?

No, it isn't but you would still prevent them from becoming citizens.  Strikes me as equally narrow-minded.    Roll Eyes

Quote:
Simples really and I am constantly amazed that some Australians still believe women should be subservient. 

Like that idiot on the commercial for 'Married at First Sight' who said that 'Men are getting beaten by their girlfriends... Why shouldn't we be like other countries?'????

Every time I see that, I feel disgusted. Men like that should be shot.

So, they must fear for their lives now?  Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #72 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 4:06pm

bwian says... "It is Xenophobic.   Russians leaving Russia may well be doing so because they disagree with the present Russian Government's policies.  You would deny them a safe haven.   So much for mercy, hey, Augie?  Tsk, tsk"

Tsk tsk bwian...  is the Russian Government our responsibility?  Is the russian way of life our responsibility?  We have elections bwian to resolve such issues.  We have Referenda and Plebiscites etc...  we are a democratic state.

We are not a Noah's Ark for people from failed states or social policy disagreements.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #73 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 6:09pm

Quote:
According to the Constitution of Russia, the country is a federation and semi-presidential republic, wherein the President is the head of state[125] and the Prime Minister is the head of government. The Russian Federation is fundamentally structured as a multi-party representative democracy, with the federal government composed of three branches:

Legislative: The bicameral Federal Assembly of Russia, made up of the 450-member State Duma and the 166-member Federation Council, adopts federal law, declares war, approves treaties, has the power of the purse and the power of impeachment of the President.
    Executive: The President is the Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, can veto legislative bills before they become law, and appoints the Government of Russia (Cabinet) and other officers, who administer and enforce federal laws and policies.
    Judiciary: The Constitutional Court, Supreme Court and lower federal courts, whose judges are appointed by the Federation Council on the recommendation of the President, interpret laws and can overturn laws they deem unconstitutional.

Sounds kinda familiar doesn't it... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #74 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:32am

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 3:55pm:
Russians leaving Russia may well be doing so because they disagree with the present Russian Government's policies.  You would deny them a safe haven.   So much for mercy, hey, Augie?  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

If they disagree with the current Russian government's policies, then they're likely to support our values, aren't they?? Which means they would most likely be allowed to permanently migrate to Australia.

Being against homosexuality is not the criteria; it's whether you believe homosexual acts should be criminalized that is the bar here. Many Russians, as do Australians believe that homosexuality is not nature, etc. but nearly all Australians would believe that they shouldn't be thrown in jail for their acts.

Yet you are attacking the conservative viewpoint, Augie.   You don't wish those holding those views to become citizens.  Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes

No, you're conflating fundamentalism with conservative. Yes, fundamentalist Christians, Jews and Hindus wouldn't share these values, but then I also want to screen those people too. Conservatives are different to fundamentalist views.

The whole process is about screening those who wish to become citizens of Australians. If you are wanting to exert your civic duty to vote, then you should hold the values of that country. That doesn't mean you're not welcome to Australia to study visit, or live on a temporary basis.

It is based on political views.  Views which I note a third of the Australian population more than likely support.  Are they to be deported because of their views?  Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes

No one is to be deported for holding different views. And no, I disagree, I don't agree that one-third of the Australian population support theocracy.

No, it isn't but you would still prevent them from becoming citizens.  Strikes me as equally narrow-minded.    Roll Eyes

No, it wouldn't. It would flag only those who believe women to be second-class citizens.

Oooh, so first I"m a rapist, and now I'm a murderer???

Get a grip, Brian. You're reputation as a sound progressive is slowly losing its traction as you make ad hominem arguments.

Tsk, tsk.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #75 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 4:15pm

Auggie wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:32am:
Russians leaving Russia may well be doing so because they disagree with the present Russian Government's policies.  You would deny them a safe haven.   So much for mercy, hey, Augie?  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

If they disagree with the current Russian government's policies, then they're likely to support our values, aren't they?? Which means they would most likely be allowed to permanently migrate to Australia.

So, you contradict what you just said, that you wouldn't allow Russians in, Augie?

And you wonder why I am confused about what you're saying.  Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Quote:
Being against homosexuality is not the criteria; it's whether you believe homosexual acts should be criminalized that is the bar here. Many Russians, as do Australians believe that homosexuality is not nature, etc. but nearly all Australians would believe that they shouldn't be thrown in jail for their acts.

You have proof of that?  Where?

Quote:

No, you're conflating fundamentalism with conservative. Yes, fundamentalist Christians, Jews and Hindus wouldn't share these values, but then I also want to screen those people too. Conservatives are different to fundamentalist views.

By a matter of degree, Augie, not by what the views actually are.   Fundamentalists want to obey their religious teachings about these issues, Conservatives OTOH still hold these views, they generally don't act on them, though.  Conservatives want women subservient.  Fundamentalists demand they be subservient.   Conservatives want Homosexuality criminalised.  Fundamentalists want them killed.   Roll Eyes

Quote:
The whole process is about screening those who wish to become citizens of Australians. If you are wanting to exert your civic duty to vote, then you should hold the values of that country. That doesn't mean you're not welcome to Australia to study visit, or live on a temporary basis.

Screen them before they migrate, Augie.   If they are odious we don't want them here at all.   If they are mild, what difference does it make?

Quote:

No one is to be deported for holding different views. And no, I disagree, I don't agree that one-third of the Australian population support theocracy.

They more than likely don't.  They just don't like the idea of Gays marrying.  Some want Homosexuality criminalised, now doubt.  Some want Gays killed.  A third of the population wouldn't fit into your views of how Australian society thinks, Augie.   Roll Eyes

Quote:

No, it wouldn't. It would flag only those who believe women to be second-class citizens.

Well, then you need to eject Herbie, et al. who believe that, Augie.  Why should they have a preferred position?  Mmmm?    Roll Eyes

Quote:

Oooh, so first I"m a rapist, and now I'm a murderer???

Get a grip, Brian. You're reputation as a sound progressive is slowly losing its traction as you make ad hominem arguments.

Tsk, tsk.

My reputation is as a sound debater, Augie.   I am not perfect, nor ever claimed to be.   I dislike ad hominem argument because of it's insults and it's generally low tone.   I didn't suggest you're a murderer.   You took that inference.  Am I to blame?  Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #76 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 5:53pm

ROTFLMAO Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
What sort of debater was that again bwian...  I can hear someone saying Mass or maths... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2018 at 10:39am by Grendel »  

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #77 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 6:17pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 4:15pm:
So, you contradict what you just said, that you wouldn't allow Russians in, Augie?

And you wonder why I am confused about what you're saying.  Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

It would depend on their values, BR. It wouldn't matter if they were Russian, Chinese, or Syrian. If they are deemed to hold view against Australia's interests, then they would not be granted citizenship or permanent residency in Australia. Doesn't mean they can't visit, of course, they can.

You initially made the claim that they did. Where's your proof? What percentage of Australians do you believe think THAT GAYS SHOULD BE JAILED??

By a matter of degree, Augie, not by what the views actually are.   Fundamentalists want to obey their religious teachings about these issues, Conservatives OTOH still hold these views, they generally don't act on them, though.  Conservatives want women subservient.  Fundamentalists demand they be subservient.   Conservatives want Homosexuality criminalised.  Fundamentalists want them killed.   Roll Eyes

I disagree with your assertion. Conservatives don't believe in women being subservient; they believe that men and women have different biology which leads to differences in behaviour and choices. Fundamentalists may want them killed, and I also don't want them here too.

Screen them before they migrate, Augie.   If they are odious we don't want them here at all.   If they are mild, what difference does it make?

Because it's important for the social fabric of society.

They more than likely don't.  They just don't like the idea of Gays marrying.  Some want Homosexuality criminalised, now doubt.  Some want Gays killed.  A third of the population wouldn't fit into your views of how Australian society thinks, Augie.   Roll Eyes

A third of Australians do not want gays killed, BR. The bar was wanting gays jailed, not 'not supporting ssm.' You're making the claim that one-third of the Australian population don't support either of values I espoused earlier. I think this is absurd. Of course, there are always people who hold such beliefs but they would be a tiny percentage.

Unless you can provide me with statistical evidence, such as polls, to support your claim?

Well, then you need to eject Herbie, et al. who believe that, Augie.  Why should they have a preferred position?  Mmmm?    Roll Eyes

Because we don't deport citizens, BR. That's the benefit of being a citizen of a country.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #78 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:06pm

Auggie wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 6:17pm:

It would depend on their values, BR. It wouldn't matter if they were Russian, Chinese, or Syrian. If they are deemed to hold view against Australia's interests, then they would not be granted citizenship or permanent residency in Australia. Doesn't mean they can't visit, of course, they can.

What are Australia's interests in this case?   Surely they hold and voice their views in a liberal democracy?   Or are such views to be outlawed?  Really?   Roll Eyes

Quote:

You initially made the claim that they did. Where's your proof? What percentage of Australians do you believe think THAT GAYS SHOULD BE JAILED??

No idea.  I'd hazard a guess at about 10-15%?   There is a deep vein of conservatism in our society which you appear to conveniently overlook all the time, Augie.

Quote:

I disagree with your assertion. Conservatives don't believe in women being subservient; they believe that men and women have different biology which leads to differences in behaviour and choices. Fundamentalists may want them killed, and I also don't want them here too.

You obviously haven't met many conservatives I'd suggest, Augie if you believe that.

Because it's important for the social fabric of society.
[/quote]

According to whom?  You?  Sorry, the world doesn't operate that way, Augie.  Get out, meet more Australians is what I'd recommend.  You might be surprised.

Quote:
They more than likely don't.  They just don't like the idea of Gays marrying.  Some want Homosexuality criminalised, no doubt.  Some want Gays killed.  A third of the population wouldn't fit into your views of how Australian society thinks, Augie.   Roll Eyes

A third of Australians do not want gays killed, BR. The bar was wanting gays jailed, not 'not supporting ssm.' You're making the claim that one-third of the Australian population don't support either of values I espoused earlier. I think this is absurd. Of course, there are always people who hold such beliefs but they would be a tiny percentage.

A third of the population holds values which are considered "conservative" on the political scale, Augie.  Deal with it.  Stop trying to avoid it.   It was evidenced in the SSM Postal Survey.   A third wasn't sufficient to prevent the vote going ahead in Parliament.   It was still though a third.  Which is in anybody's terms, a significant minority.

Quote:
Unless you can provide me with statistical evidence, such as polls, to support your claim?

See above, Augie.  A third held conservative views on SSM.    Roll Eyes

Quote:

Because we don't deport citizens, BR. That's the benefit of being a citizen of a country.

Yet you refuse to allow in migrants who want to be citizens who hold similar views.   Appears to be you're engaged in a little bit of "social engineering" there, Augie.  Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #79 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 10:41am

Oh bwian the SSM survey would not be a good measure on Conservatism in Australia.
There were plenty of fools idiots and conned people in that lot and many were also Conservative who just wanted the issue to go away.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #80 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 11:19am

Ok, Brian. I fold. You've won the argument. I will re-evaluate my point of view on this.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #81 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 11:46am

Now that was foolish Auggie.
Only concede when the other person is right.
bwian will never concede because he thinks he is always right.

Bwian Quote:
Conservatives want women subservient.  Fundamentalists demand they be subservient.   

No bwian Conservatives don't want women to be Subservient...  misogynists do.

Oh dear here we have bwian fooling himself. 
Bwian Quote:
Conservatives want Homosexuality criminalised.  Fundamentalists want them killed. 

For starters gay fundies don't... they want everyone to e gay, they are the one's that claim male celebrities etc as gay all the time even when they are not.
Conservatives don't want homos criminalised.  But the strictly religious and homophobic do.

Oh dear bwian you are such a hypocrite...  you make claims against others and their opinions etc and you spout rubbish all the time.  The same type of rubbish you ridicule others for bwian.  tsk, tsk, ts, oh dearie dearie me..... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

You wouldn't know a true Conservative if you fell over one bwian.  You and your ilk are the reason the West is in decline.  You and your ilk will be its downfall.

CONSERVATISM is: a political philosophy advocating the preservation of the best of the established order in society and opposing radical change, or simply change for its own sake. 

It is also the social glue that keeps societies together.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2018 at 6:21pm by Grendel »  

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #82 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 12:46pm

Grendel wrote on Jan 20th, 2018 at 11:46am:
Now that was foolish Auggie.
Only concede when the other person is right.
bwian will never concede because he thinks he is always right.

Bwian Quote:
Conservatives want women subservient.  Fundamentalists demand they be subservient.   

No bwian Conservatives don't want women to be Subservient...  misogynists do.

Oh dear here we have bwian fooling himself. 
Bwian Quote:
Conservatives want Homosexuality criminalised.  Fundamentalists want them killed. 

For starters gay fundies don't... they want everyone to e gay, they are the one's that claim male celebrities etc as gay all the time even when they are not.
Conservatives don't want homos criminalised.  But the strictly religious and homophobic do.

Oh dear bwian you are such a hypocrite...  you make claims against others and their opinions etc and you spout rubbish all the time.  The same type of rubbish you ridicule others for bwian.  tsk, tsk, ts, oh dearie dearie me..... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

You wouldn't no a true Conservative if you fell over one bwian.  You and your ilk are the reason the West is in decline.  You and your ilk will be its downfall.

CONSERVATISM is: a political philosophy advocating the preservation of the best of the established order in society and opposing radical change, or simply change for its own sake. 

It is also the social glue that keeps societies together.

Well, that's what I thought.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #83 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 1:27pm

Auggie wrote on Jan 20th, 2018 at 11:19am:
Ok, Brian. I fold. You've won the argument. I will re-evaluate my point of view on this.

Augie, I'm not interested in "winners" or "losers".   I'd rather we worked together. That you're willing to re-evaluate your POV is sufficient.   There are elements worth exploring and some aren't.   You've demonstrated that you're more mature than some here.    Cool

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #84 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 1:40pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 20th, 2018 at 1:27pm:

Augie, I'm not interested in "winners" or "losers".   I'd rather we worked together. That you're willing to re-evaluate your POV is sufficient.   There are elements worth exploring and some aren't.   You've demonstrated that you're more mature than some here.    Cool

Why thank you, that is very humble of you.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #85 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 6:23pm

oh he just want's you RE-EDUCATED Auggie, the PC LW Progs want everyone indoctrinated to their way of thinking.  They cannot tolerate dissent.  They hate those who disagree with them...
They are well on their way to indoctrinating all our children to Progressivism...

BTW that is not him being humble...  bwian does not do humble.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 8:54pm

Paris after the Africans visited:

They can pray on the street but can they clean up they shite on the streets?

Yes and no, of course. Bloody mongrels.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #87 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 9:12pm

Grendel wrote on Jan 20th, 2018 at 6:23pm:

oh he just want's you RE-EDUCATED Auggie, the PC LW Progs want everyone indoctrinated to their way of thinking.  They cannot tolerate dissent.  They hate those who disagree with them...
They are well on their way to indoctrinating all our children to Progressivism...

BTW that is not him being humble...  bwian does not do humble.

So long as there is no coercion...

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #88 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 10:12pm

Coercion?
No, no, none of that, you just have to toe the Prog line or fail your exams etc, etc, etc...
You are simply taught the LW PC Prog version of reality.
No Coercion.

bwian has you listed for re-education though.... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2018 at 7:20am by Grendel »  

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 9:25pm

For heaven's sake, don't re-evaluate your argument - just admit that you've been beaten down by Brian's repeated use of reductio ad absurdum. It's a tactic he has used very effectively over a long period of time.

Cut, copy, paste - page after page.

Unless you have either the time to spare, or an overweening desire to land a singular point, you will never win nor change his attitude.

Greg and Brian are soul-mates,a tag-team. One's an analyst and one's an analist. It's always a case of 'I'm right and you're wrong'.

If you were to offer to ignore them, they would tell you that ignorance is not an excuse.  Roll Eyes

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #90 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 9:50pm

Multi-Cultural:

Where all 'international' Cultures stand with British Culture that declares anything 'Australian' as a 'Criminal' activity, beyond the 'original' Aboriginal culture.

So anything that considers itself a 'stand alone' CULTURE that is uniquely different to any other culture as 'Australian' - will be persecuted by British, Aboriginal & every other 'international' culture.

So far, waving thongs and merchandise with the Australian 'Flag' doesn't cut it really on 'Political' Day (26th Jan) as 'uniquely Australian'.  Roll Eyes

So, Australia is a Multi-cultural Nation where British, Aboriginal, and the 'Colonialistic' American input (holds onto the past) all share with other international 'cultures' here on 'Political Day.

For Australia to declare an 'Independent Culture' beyond all of the above will be an 'act of Suicide', like the USA Independence was a War for Race.

Until then.
Happy British Political Day that is celebrated by people who live like Americans  Wink Cheesy Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #91 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 10:10am

Lionel Edriess wrote on Jan 21st, 2018 at 9:25pm:

For heaven's sake, don't re-evaluate your argument - just admit that you've been beaten down by Brian's repeated use of reductio ad absurdum. It's a tactic he has used very effectively over a long period of time.

Cut, copy, paste - page after page.

Unless you have either the time to spare, or an overweening desire to land a singular point, you will never win nor change his attitude.

Greg and Brian are soul-mates,a tag-team. One's an analyst and one's an analist. It's always a case of 'I'm right and you're wrong'.

If you were to offer to ignore them, they would tell you that ignorance is not an excuse.  Roll Eyes

My goal isn't to change anyone's attitude. It's to learn more about what's going on. I have been wrong before, and will continue to be wrong again.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #92 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 4:44pm

Well you won't learn much that is factual or truthful from bwian.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #93 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 11:16am

Jasin wrote on Jan 21st, 2018 at 9:50pm:
Happy British Political Day that is celebrated by people who live like Americans  Wink Cheesy Grin

Yeah, that needs to stop.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #94 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 11:46am

Jasin wrote on Jan 21st, 2018 at 9:50pm:
Happy British Political Day that is celebrated by people who live like Americans 

Speaking of that, I saw an ad on a bus stop this morning that said "Do the math".

NO!

I'll do the maths.

This is Australia - we have mathematics (maths).

This is not the US, where they apparently only have mathematic (math).

Angry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print