Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 
Send Topic Print
9% Of All Australian Prisoners Are Muslims (Read 17709 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: 9% Of All Australian Prisoners Are Muslims
Reply #690 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 5:32am

Quote:
And your Church Attendance figures, USR?  You know, the ones you hope I will ignore?  Sorry, I still want to know where you got those numbers from.   Care to provide us with a source or will we simply conclude like so much of your arguments you've pulled it out of your bum?  Mmmm?    Roll Eyes

So, doing a count of people who attended one church service (numbering 50 parishioners) and added that to the 100 that I have seen at the morning service. Then assuming the 20 other churches of various denomination average the same amount of parishioners to give a generous number of 3000 people attending church out of a population of 85,000 people. That gives a percentage of 3.5% of people in town that attend a church service. Ahh, but given that not all Rockhamptonites are religious, and going by national figures, we could probably double that percentage to 7% of Christians attending church regularly. But that does not take into account the fact that I can't tell you which of the church attendees were regulars during my rare visit to the church. So, it is reasonable for me to say that only 2% of Christians regularly attend church each week.

Do you have a source of information that you can say that considerably more than either 2% or 7% of Christians attend a church service nearly every week? Because your claim that less than 20% of Christians showing up for church service at least once a month does lend me credibility that the fanatics number less than 5%. Or are you too focused on my "bum" for your lack of research?

Quote:
Howard was a political opportunist.  His religious beliefs governed his decisions on same-sex marriage and euthanasia not the Port Arthur Massacre.  His decision to enact the UFL was governed by the need to be seen to be doing "something" rather than "nothing".   That his decision struck a chord with the voters was to his benefit.

Howard was trying to reach out to the few remaining Christians out there in a desperate attempt to get on side anyone to support his gun laws. It is a surprise that Howard does not support euthanasia if he is such a religious person, being that he would assume there is a heaven and the like.

Quote:
I have no knowledge about Rudd's marital affairs.   His problem was his inability to delegate.   He found he could not trust his Cabinet and Party colleagues.   His religion played little part in his time as PM.    Roll Eyes

That was a really vexing paragraph of yours. Look at Jessica. You can see Therese in her, right? Who is the other person that made up Jessica's dna? Not Kevin, right?
Anyway, Rudd is such a fundamentalist that he would probably sacrifice the standard of living of Australians to make Christianity the official religion of Australia. That is just one of the reasons we no longer have Rudd as leader.

Quote:
You're assuming that all Christian fundamentalists are Catholics.  They aren't.  Politics is a subtle part of our politics.   One that cannot be ignored.   It's influence has decreased from the days of Cardinal Mannix but is always there, in the background.    Australia is a predominantly Christian country, whether you like it or not.   Roll Eyes

No. I was just being lazy in where the Christian fundamentalists should move in that hypothetical threat of mine. Christianity is on the way out, and common sense is on the way in -- irrespective of Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne doing their darndest to make it seem otherwise. One of my former housing managers told me of the story about how her marriage was dependent on whether her husband was of similar religion. The Catholic/Protestant thing back in the 1960s was a thing. But since the 1970s and 1980s, there is a growing number of Australians doing away with religion in favour of being irreligious.

I was becoming non-religious by the time I was 9 years old. By 12, I declared myself non-religious. Because 40% of other Australians agree with having no religion, I would say that Australia is a non-religious society. I would further argue that because so few people attend church services in Australia each week that we can say that the 52% of those Australian Christians are rather uncommitted to religion. Perhaps they just ticked the boxes of which religion on the census form that "Mum and Dad" say they belong.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 
Send Topic Print