Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 47
Send Topic Print
9% Of All Australian Prisoners Are Muslims (Read 17486 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: 9% Of All Australian Prisoners Are Muslims
Reply #15 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:16pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:09pm:
"Information on the numbers of Muslims in prisons is
not available through the Census ... "

Grin

I posted NSW Corrective Service figures for 2013.......

"Australian Muslims.
A DEMOGRAPHIC, SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC PROFILE OF MUSLIMS IN AUSTRALIA
4.3 Prison population
Prisoner statistics broken down by religion are not publically available in Australia. But Muslims in Australian prisons are often discussed in public debates on nationalism and radicalisation.  Muslims comprise 3.2% of the NSW population but 9.3% of the state prison population, according to the NSW Corrective Services 2013 Census (Khoury 2014)."

https://www.unisa.edu.au/Global/EASS/MnM/Publications/Australian_Muslims_Report_...  ..... page 34 (36 of 88).

It's worse in Victoria, or at least approximately equal to NSW:-

According to Corrections Victoria, as of 27 April 2015 there were 507 Muslim prisoners in Victoria. The total prison population is around 6300 prisoners. This shows that, while 2.9% of Victorians were Muslim, 8% of prisoners in Victoria were Muslims.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:17pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:08pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:03pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:00pm:
"Prisoner statistics broken down by religion are not publically available in Australia."

Grin

It must be somewhere because she found it. I can't.

I'd suggest she is bullshitting then, Hammer.

I wonder why do people assume that Islam promotes lawlessness?  No religion does.  All promote obeyance of the laws of the land, above their religious laws.   Criminals are criminals because of circumstance first, not because of religious belief.    Roll Eyes

I just posted the article Brian. I didn't see you arguing against Pecca's Christian bashing thread.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:17pm

"Prisoner statistics broken down by religion are not publically available in Australia."

Grin

I wonder why do people assume that Islam promotes lawlessness?  No religion does.  All promote obeyance of the laws of the land, above their religious laws.   Criminals are criminals because of circumstance first, not because of religious belief.    Roll Eyes

They're looking for more statistics, as we speak.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #18 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:17pm

IBI

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:18pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:16pm:

Grin

"Australian Muslims.
4.3 Prison population
Prisoner statistics broken down by religion are not publically available in Australia. But Muslims in Australian prisons are often discussed in public debates on nationalism and radicalisation.  Muslims comprise 3.2% of the NSW population but 9.3% of the state prison population, according to the NSW Corrective Services 2013 Census (Khoury 2014)."

https://www.unisa.edu.au/Global/EASS/MnM/Publications/Australian_Muslims_Report_...  ..... page 34 (36 of 88).

It's worse in Victoria:-

Australian Muslims.
4.3 Prison population
Prisoner statistics broken down by religion are not publically available in Australia. But Muslims in Australian prisons are often discussed in public debates on nationalism and radicalisation.
Muslims comprise 3.2% of the NSW population but 9.3% of the state prison population, according to the NSW

According to Corrections Victoria, as of 27 April 2015 there were 507 Muslim prisoners in Victoria. The total prison population is around 6300 prisoners. This shows that, while 2.9% of Victorians were Muslim, 8% of prisoners in Victoria were Muslims.

Well there you go Pecca. I suppose you won't believe this either?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:19pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:16pm:

Grin

"Australian Muslims.
4.3 Prison population

It's worse in Victoria, or at least approximately equal to NSW:-

Smiley

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #21 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:20pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:17pm:

Grin

I just posted the article Brian. I didn't see you arguing against Pecca's Christian bashing thread.

There are more than enough Christians to defend themselves on this fora, Hammer.   There aren't many Muslims here to defend themselves, just as there aren't many Indigenous Australians, nor Pacific Islanders, nor Buddhists, nor Shinto or Hindus.   Funny that, hey?

Now, how about attempting to answer my questions about Muslims and supposedly promotion by Islam of lawlessness?   Mmmm?    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:23pm

If Islam doesn't promote or at least condone criminal activity - what is it that pushes Muslims to a high crime rate?

You'll note I did honestly post significant factors in Muslim experience here - none related to 'discrimination' BTW, but more likely the need to get with the program and catch up with the way things are done here.

I'll re-post it here - for the sake of integrity in this discussion:-

"Inequalities
Muslims are less likely to own or to be purchasing
their homes than the average Australian. They are
more likely to be renting privately.
There are significant differences in income between
Muslim Australians and the Australian population as
a whole. Muslims tend to earn significantly less, both
at the household and individual levels. A quarter of
all Muslim children in Australia are living in poverty,
compared with 14% of all Australian children.
Muslims have higher rates of unemployment than
the general population, and are less likely to be in the
labour market.
Older Muslims are significantly more likely to be
disabled, or to need assistance with core activities,
than Australians in general.
On subjective measures of well-being, such as surveys
of personal well-being and community connections,
Muslims feel similar levels of well-being to Australians
in general. The exception is that Muslims are less
likely to feel safe"

Page 14 (16 of 88)  - https://www.unisa.edu.au/Global/EASS/MnM/Publications/Australian_Muslims_Report_...

Don't you just hate it when you have to do grammar corrections on 'learned academic papers'?  'wellbeing' v "well-being"... cheesh!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:26pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:20pm:

Grin

There are more than enough Christians to defend themselves on this fora, Hammer.   There aren't many Muslims here to defend themselves, just as there aren't many Indigenous Australians, nor Pacific Islanders, nor Buddhists, nor Shinto or Hindus.   Funny that, hey?

Now, how about attempting to answer my questions about Muslims and supposedly promotion by Islam of lawlessness?   Mmmm?    Roll Eyes
It depends on the interrpretation of the Koran hey Brian. There seems to be a huge issue with Lebanese Sunni. I'd say it's a combination of factors and I'm sure religion is in there somewhwere. The Lebanese Christians aren't a problem????? Most other Muslim groups aren't a problem. Problem Muslim peoples come out of those strict Sunni interrpretation which Lebanese and Afghans belong to. Turks aren't because they aren't as strict.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:28pm

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:29pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:26pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:20pm:

Grin

It depends on the interrpretation of the Koran hey Brian. There seems to be a huge issue with Lebanese Sunni. I'd say it's a combination of factors and I'm sure religion is in there somewhwere. The Lebanese Christians aren't a problem????? Most other Muslim groups aren't a problem. Problem Muslim peoples come out of those strict Sunni interrpretation which Lebanese and Afghans belong to. Turks aren't because they aren't as strict.

Show us the stats that list the religion of all criminals.

To make it easier for you, just the convicted criminals will do.

Wink

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #26 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:31pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:23pm:
If Islam doesn't promote or at least condone criminal activity - what is it that pushes Muslims to a high crime rate?

I would suggest circumstance.  Not religion.  Indeed I would suggest religion - of all kinds - discourages actively, criminality amongst its' believers...

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:33pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:31pm:
Indeed I would suggest religion - of all kinds - discourages actively, criminality amongst its' believers...

Including the killing of kafirs?

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:38pm

lee wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:33pm:
Indeed I would suggest religion - of all kinds - discourages actively, criminality amongst its' believers...

Including the killing of kafirs?

I suppose it comes down, then, to what any respective religion views as criminal and as non-criminal - just a cultural difference?

I think we should all be seeing the very deep and dark chasm we are facing here...... sometimes those 'cultural differences' are the difference between criminality and non-criminality, and sometimes between life and death..... including death which the deceased has in no way provoked other than by simply being........

― John Adams

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:39pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:23pm:

I would suggest circumstance.  Not religion.  Indeed I would suggest religion - of all kinds - discourages actively, criminality amongst its' believers...

Religions that set yourself apart from society can give certain followers an anti social attitude which can lead to criminality. Mix that in with low socio economics and it's like fire and petrol. When the ex grand mufti called girls in short skirts "cat meat" it really occurred to me that we  have a big problem with Muslim leadership in some communities. This is another big issue.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 47
Send Topic Print