Send Topic Print
A very DVD Xmas (Read 1092 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

A very DVD Xmas
Dec 25th, 2017 at 3:34pm

The benefits of issuing wish lists.

I've got a nice little pile of UK DVDs, some new some old, and couldn't wish for a nicer Xmas.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Re: A very DVD Xmas
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 10:20am

Watched a bit of one last night. "The Thin Blue Line" with Rowan Atkinson.
Pretty old but I've only ever seen one or two episodes before.
Very funny.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 7:08am

Watched the first episode of "The Village" which is set in early 20th century Northern England, probably Lancashire.
It's a vehicle for Maxine Peake, the worthy star of Silk. She revels in all the issues that will be brought up in this - Northern England poverty, unionism, suffragettes, oppression of women. I've heard her interviewed, all this stuff is in her blood, boiling away, like it's never been cooled.

It's not what you'd call entertainment, more like a challenge, watch me if you've got the staying power because we want to make you suffer with this.

I'll watch OK?

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 8:31am

Watched Game of Thrones Season 7 and am watching the 4 seasons of Soap...  which apparently I'm the only one here who remembers it Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 11:54am

Now spending my gift vouchers on DVDs. Today I ordered a Tom Courtenay/Charlotte Rampling movie "45" or "45 years".
Plus a couple of zany Father Ted series.

And i havent got to what I'll order from ABC yet. It takes so long to choose.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2018 at 6:16am by bogarde73 »  

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 9:54pm

If you ever find the  miniseries Running Blind book by Desmond Bagley...  let me know been after it for years  ABC showed it once only got to see 2 of the 3 parts.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 11:12am

I will but I've never seen any. They would be spy stories right?

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 7:01am

bogarde73 wrote on Dec 28th, 2017 at 7:08am:
Watched the first episode of "The Village" which is set in early 20th century Northern England, probably Lancashire.
It's a vehicle for Maxine Peake, the worthy star of Silk. She revels in all the issues that will be brought up in this - Northern England poverty, unionism, suffragettes, oppression of women. I've heard her interviewed, all this stuff is in her blood, boiling away, like it's never been cooled.

It's not what you'd call entertainment, more like a challenge, watch me if you've got the staying power because we want to make you suffer with this.

I'll watch OK?

I wasn't wrong about this. It's very good but it's hard to watch. I just can't help thinking Ms Peake is, apart from putting in a good performance, determined that this slice of history & place WILL be seen.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:49pm

Just watched a DVD of the recent Australian movie, "The Legend of Ben Hall." The cinematography is excellent, and as a period piece it is pretty good. I will not list the transgressions I notice because, all in all, they did not detract from the film. The acting is solid and costumes nicely done. The script is a fair rendition of  the events of 1864-5, but I think there should have been more back story including Frank Gardner's gang in which Hall and Gilbert gained notoriety. The character of John Dunn is perhaps a bit too weak, considering his actual conduct under police fire and pursuit. The gun play is matter of fact, without resorting to the unbelievable shots so typical of Hollywood movies. Also, it must have been generally entertaining, because my wife enjoyed too. She's not big on guy stuff.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 8:24am

My late brother in law owned a very old homestead in the Crookwell area near Rugby, which had a cellar where Hall & Gilbert were supposed to have used as a hideout.
And just across the river from the house is the hugest hill where they were also supposed to have hid.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 7:03am

A couple of other things turned up, bought with Xmas gift vouchers: The Forsyte Saga, 45 Years and Persuasion ( the Sally Hawkins version).
Waiting for series 26-27 of Last of the Summer Wine.
Deliveries seem to be awful slow.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #11 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 4:13am

Grendel wrote on Dec 28th, 2017 at 8:31am:
Watched Game of Thrones Season 7 and am watching the 4 seasons of Soap...  which apparently I'm the only one here who remembers it Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I have a playlist of dvd series that I want to watch before watching Game of Thrones again. I am hoping that by April/May, the price of GoT Season 7 will come down enough to be part of the 2 for $40 deals that they have at Sanity.

Meanwhile, I will be doing an Aliens, Terminator, Superman, Batman, and Marvels superhero movies marathon over a few months before I seek to rewatch the Game of Thrones series. For that matter, I still have to watch seasons 12 to 15 of Crime Scene Investigated, seasons 7 to 11 of Criminal Minds. Then there are all the documentaries on history that I have to get through.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #12 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 4:16am

Dvds that I bought in early January were "Scrooged" and "It's a Wonderful life". I have noticed that they only Christmas related dvds I have are to do with Die Hard and Lethal Weapon.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print