Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leighton Hewitt & other greats (Read 422 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Leighton Hewitt & other greats
Dec 24th, 2017 at 10:24am

With tennis season coming up, I thought I'd have a bit of a rave about Leighton.

Who can remember when they first saw him play?
I can. It was the South Aust Open, can't remember when, but he was about 15 or 16 and he came up against Andre Agassi, who to be fair was on the comeback trail. Can't be bothered looking it up but it might have been the quarters or the semis.

I think Andre might have been thinking it would be an easy match, although he's probably too smart for that.
Leighton played him off the court with his lobs (remember his lobs?), drop shots and general game.

So he went on to be a number 1 player. I don't think there has been a player since Ken Rosewall who had such a long and successful career in the game. Similar kind of player too really I think.
Not just a game based on a fast serve but an all round player.
I didn't see much of him, but Lew Hoad was a bit like that although he had a big serve too. The women tend to be better at an all round game.

Leighton probably turned a lot of people off with his "Come on" antics but there have been worse.
What about the grunters like Monica Seles?

Leighton's deserved all his success. He must have worked his butt off since he could barely hold a racket. Most of them do I guess.
But to me he's been an adornment to the game.

(PS I used to be glued to the tele through January for the tennis. Another thing I don't really bother about now)

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print