Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power prices in WA (Read 1095 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Power prices in WA
Dec 18th, 2017 at 10:35am

West Australians will face the biggest increases in power prices of any residents in the nation, with more than $200 added to local electricity bills over the next two years as the State Government attempts to repair the State Budget.
A report from the Australian Energy Market Commission to be released today shows that while prices are expected to fall across the rest of the country, they will soar in WA.

By 2019-20, the price per kilowatt hour of electricity in WA will surpass that of South Australia to be the priciest in the country.
The average bill for a WA power consumer was $1412 in 2016-17. If it had kept track with inflation, the bill would have reached $1520 by the end of the decade.

But after a 10.9 per cent price rise this year, a 7 per cent planned hike next year and a 5.6 per cent rise in 2019-20, the same bill is tipped to reach more than $1770.

Over the next two years alone, the average bill will jump by $203.

The commission said a switch in WA’s power supplies were partly responsible for the big increases.

“This is due to higher gas prices and a switch in the generation mix from gas to coal, which results in higher capital costs but lower fuel costs,” it said.

:West Australian Business

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Re: Power prices in WA
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2017 at 8:04am

About time we had a choice of power providers here in WA.

We now have 3 gas providers to choose from but still only one for power.

But, I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Power prices in WA
Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2017 at 8:28am

You could always be your own supplier.

I think power is cheap,,, if you have ever lived without it.

I have to go and work on a place that has no power, absolute pain in the arse. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print