Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Sociopath
Reply #105 - Dec 20th, 2017 at 7:28pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 9:42am:
Bobby. wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 7:51am:
Sociopaths are everywhere especially in major business management roles.
I prefer to call them psychopaths -
they have no empathy for the lives of the people they destroy.

They take great delight in dreaming up 20 page job descriptions for their employees
with goals to meet that have nothing to do with the original job they applied for.
They make people feel small because they can't reach those impossible goals.

These psychopaths are destructive and should be kicked out of their management jobs.

in this case, he is not that bad. but headed that way

They always seem to think that there's someone who's
better than you who can do the job much cheaper.
It's demeaning when you're giving them 100%.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #106 - Dec 20th, 2017 at 7:47pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Dec 20th, 2017 at 5:32pm:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Dec 20th, 2017 at 5:25pm:
Lisa Jones wrote on Dec 20th, 2017 at 5:00pm:
miketrees wrote on Dec 20th, 2017 at 4:52pm:
No Cods I do not have the ability to suck up to sociopaths in the workplace.

I just cant do it.

Its probably going to involve having to treat some other poor person badly to conform to the wishes of the sociopath.

never will.

You guys should be thankful you only work with sociopaths.

Try being married to one.

THEN you'd know about it. Undecided Sad

eeeeewwwwwwww, No thank you !!!!

No offence but once you've survived being married to/escaped from a sociopath.....suddenly other sociopaths who come across in your life are not as difficult/as stressful to manage.

I guess there's a lot to be said for experiential knowledge.

I could well see that .

I have forgiven him, within myself.
He has not apologised, so I cannot forgive him to him.

That does not mean I forget, or I do not take safeguards for myself for the future.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #107 - Dec 20th, 2017 at 8:09pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Dec 20th, 2017 at 7:47pm:

I just cant do it.

Its probably going to involve having to treat some other poor person badly to conform to the wishes of the sociopath.

never will.

No offence but once you've survived being married to/escaped from a sociopath.....suddenly other sociopaths who come across in your life are not as difficult/as stressful to manage.

I could well see that .

That does not mean I forget, or I do not take safeguards for myself for the future.

Good.

That's exactly what I did (after receiving much needed support from my friends at Freediver's other political forum) regarding our very own online sociopath Groggy after he spent entire DAYS spamming topics by attacking my poor deceased Christian mum.

And then there's the night Groggy saw fit to spam this entire forum by following me around from topic to topic to post the most vile, misogynistic abuse ever seen on OzPol.

And who could forget the time Groggy spent days posting about how he would celebrate the death of Australians on the basis of which party they voted.

Groggy.

Online sociopath. And junkie cyber multi troll with no life and no job. Nothing.

And guess what.....he's currently hijacking and spamming topics as I type this.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #108 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 6:22am

Lisa Jones wrote on Dec 20th, 2017 at 8:09pm:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Dec 20th, 2017 at 7:47pm:

I just cant do it.

never will.

I could well see that .

Good.

That's exactly what I did (after receiving much needed support from my friends at Freediver's other political forum) regarding our very own online sociopath Groggy after he spent entire DAYS spamming topics by attacking my poor deceased Christian mum.

And then there's the night Groggy saw fit to spam this entire forum by following me around from topic to topic to post the most vile, misogynistic abuse ever seen on OzPol.

And who could forget the time Groggy spent days posting about how he would celebrate the death of Australians on the basis of which party they voted.

Groggy.

Online sociopath. And junkie cyber multi troll with no life and no job. Nothing.

And guess what.....he's currently hijacking and spamming topics as I type this.

psychopaths and bullies are an interesting phenomenom from an evolutionary perspective.

basicly nature wipes them out.

herd animals (and humans are social animals) will have the alpha at the top.  but the alpha , thru generations of evolution, has learnt that if he is too much of an asshole, then 3 betas can easily gang up and rip his throat out.

all social animals show this behaviour where the top animal may establish his authority but he must be benevolent or he is out.

when wolves posture for dominance, the lower wolf will eventually submit and present his throat and the higher wolf will NOT hurt him so as to prove his benevolence.
if you put a big rat with a small rat and they play fight, the big rat lets the little rat win about 1/3 of the fights, just to show his benevolence.

so someone in authority who is not treating those under him well, will not be in authority for long.

we dont have a problem with the boss having a bigger office or a bigger pay packet. humans accept this hierachy. but the boss has to look after those below him. this is the social contract. if he doesnt , he's out.

now if sprint is in an office of 12 guys, then its easy to form an alliance of the majority of those guys and take the alpha down.  just ostracize him. go to the pub without him, chat and clown around without him. exclude him. social exclusion is death.

as lisa rightly points out this strategy does not work in a one on one relationship.

if a plumber is bullying his apprentice, if a husband is bullying his wife, if you have no colleagues around you with whom to form an alliance and demolish the bully, then you have a moral obligation to the essence of being itself to cut that relationship.

remove that person from your personal ecosystem.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #109 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 7:06am

aquascoot wrote on Dec 21st, 2017 at 6:22am:
remove that person from your personal ecosystem.

that works   if you can afford to change jobs   or even if there is a job you can take to get away from him..

I am sure sprint has thought about doing that?????...

I watched o a show on psychopaths last night.. what makes one.... and well it would appear they are born to be....a psychopath shows signs from a very early age.trouble is most wouldnt recognise the signs....

its an ability to read emotions  normal every day emotions we all display from day one...but what we don t realise is although fro most we are taught how to treat others  with most we are born with the ability to KNOW when we make someone happy or sad...just by their reactions.....in other words a natural instinct.. with psychopaths real ones  they dont have that ability..

a real psychopath is very different to a common harden criminal who has murdered a few people....

it isnt as simple as you changing your behavior.....

if that was the case  there would be no bad selfish people..

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #110 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 7:28am

These types are often Bull Queers or harass women.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #111 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 7:54am

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 21st, 2017 at 7:28am:
These types are often Bull Queers or harass women.

they can be herb. but a psychopath or a bully will often have to move around a lot. people "work them out"
  eventually
a psychopath has , often, the following way of thinking about "you".

he seeks to take advantage of you and manipulate you in the very worst of ways (we could look at someone who scams old people for cash as a pyshcopath for example).
and he rationalises it in his own way as "you are weak,  if you were not weak, i could not scam you or manipulate you so the fact that i can proves to me that you are weak and you need to be taught a lesson. and i am doing you a favour by teaching you a lesson".  its extreme narcissism .

on the big 5 personality traits. they are
high in extroversion
high in assertion
low in agreeableness (disagreeable)
low in conscientousness (lazy)
low in neuoticism (you cant frighten them easily).

thats a rare combination , extreme on all 5 traits

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #112 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 8:20am

People who are born without the capacity for empathy with others are the Ivan Milats of this world.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #113 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 8:36am

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 21st, 2017 at 8:20am:
People who are born without the capacity for empathy with others are the Ivan Milats of this world.

are they born or are they made?

the jury is still out.

its interesting that men are about 10 times more likely to be psychopathic then women and women who have successfully nurtured a child are almost immune to psychopathic behaviour.

is this pre-determined?

i think its the brutal training of having an infant.
that infant is 100 % dependant on you and you have to be agreeable (the baby doesnt care if its annoying you, you have to be agreeable) and conscientous (the baby doesnt care if you are tired, you have to push thru that).

so a woman who does this for an infant develops her industrious side, her work ethic, her emotional control and her agreeableness.

and all of those are highly protective from sociopathic behaviour.

are woman who have never had a child less agreeable, less industrious, less conscientous, less emotionally controlled.

i think they are.

employers will tell you that they hire 40 yo women in customer service roles , over 20 yo women because they have been trained by the infant in these vital areas.
its why you "contribution" (in this case contributing an infant) is a "sacrifice" and a "sacrifice" always sees you move up.

now theres a good arguement for "work for the dole" but people dont want to contribute or make sacrifices...more fool them...they are risking becoming psychopaths  Wink

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #114 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 9:01am

if you had watched the program on sbs last night herb..

where they studied these people in Americas Maximum prisons...they realised that the worst psychos are a lot worse than your average killer... yes I think you could say Ivan was one of the worst psychos.. enhanced by his upbringing..... one of the tests they put to them was their ability to recogn ise pictures of fear or anger/rage...in one case the prisoner  looking at a picture of horror and fear a persons eyes bugging out in terror   he said he couldnt tell if that was fear.... but it was how those he killed looked.....this was a guy in his late 20s....he said how he was always in trouble always alone no one liked him he didnt understand why..and didnt really care anyway...even after years in prison  they still do not feel any remorse.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #115 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 12:36pm

cods wrote on Dec 21st, 2017 at 9:01am:

where they studied these people in Americas Maximum prisons...they realised that the worst psychos are a lot worse than your average killer... yes I think you could say Ivan was one of the worst psychos.. enhanced by his upbringing..... one of the tests they put to them was their ability to recogn ise pictures of fear or anger/rage...in one case the prisoner  looking at a picture of horror and fear a persons eyes bugging out in terror   he said he couldnt tell if that was fear.... but it was how those he killed looked.....this was a guy in his late 20s....he said how he was always in trouble always alone no one liked him he didnt understand why..and didnt really care anyway...even after years in prison  they still do not feel any remorse.

Quote:
...........We know that keeping someone in solitary confinement puts them at very serious risk of descending into irreversible mental illness. That's not tolerable in a society that values the dignity and humanity of all people, no matter whether they are incarcerated or not...........

https://io9.gizmodo.com/why-solitary-confinement-is-the-worst-kind-of-psycholog-...

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #116 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 6:08pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Dec 21st, 2017 at 12:36pm:
cods wrote on Dec 21st, 2017 at 9:01am:

Quote:
...........We know that keeping someone in solitary confinement puts them at very serious risk of descending into irreversible mental illness. That's not tolerable in a society that values the dignity and humanity of all people, no matter whether they are incarcerated or not...........

https://io9.gizmodo.com/why-solitary-confinement-is-the-worst-kind-of-psycholog-...

there was no mention of solitary... but if they were all lumped together  what purpore do you think that would hav e???>.

most of these people are normal  to look at and in their behavior   UNTIL..... ad far as I know Darmer who ate his victims  was murdered by one of his fellow prisoners.......

so what is the answer??... btw  I thought this was about WHY are some folk so different from others...

are they born like it   or is it upbringing that makes them so..

all I tried to do was point out where they are going with this in America.......aqua  seems to think everyone has control over what they are or what they do....

but as they have found out this is not the case and they went back as far as very small babies...

any I have said enough!.. it was just a thought..

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #117 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 6:06pm

Quote:
................Dr. Hervey Cleckley was the first researcher to name the concept of psychopathy in 1941. (Mental health professionals often use the terms sociopathy and psychopathy interchangeably.) Here are his 16 characteristics of a psychopath. Might these signs apply to someone you know?

Sociopaths are superficially charming and intelligent.
They are coldly rational.
They are rarely, if ever, overly nervous. Sociopaths are not afraid of risk.
Sociopaths are not reliable.
They often tell lies or say insincere things.
They never feel remorse or shame.
Their behavior turns anti-social for no good reason.
They have poor judgment and do not learn from experience, as they believe they are smarter than everyone else.
Sociopaths are pathologically egocentric, and incapable of love.
They generally lack the ability to react emotionally with sincerity. They have a general lack of emotion.
They lack insight and are not self-reflective.
Sociopaths appear responsive socially, often faking it to avoid being “found out.”
They are likely to be the life of the party.
Sociopaths may make false suicide threats.
Their sex life is impersonal, trivial, and/or poorly integrated.
They will consistently fail to follow a life plan.

Tips on avoiding the trap of a sociopath:
In her book The Sociopath Next Door, clinical psychologist and former Harvard faculty member Martha Stout, PhD, provides a great roadmap for conceptualizing, understanding, and avoiding sociopaths. This is the short list:

Accept that some people have no conscience. And they don't look like a serial killer; they look like us.
Always listen to your gut and prioritize what it tells you. "In a contest between your instincts and what is implied by the role a person has taken on--educator, doctor, leader, animal lover, policeman, humanist, parent--go with your instincts," Stout urges.
Practice the “Rule of Threes.” Three strikes and they are out. One lie, one promise broken, one neglected responsibility--it could be a misunderstanding. Two: could be a serious mistake. Three: you are now dealing with a liar, and deceit lies at the heart of a person with no conscience. Cut your losses immediately.
Suspect flattery. Know the difference between compliments and flattery. Compliments usually feel good. Flattery feels like too much. Know that sociopaths use flattery to manipulate.
Do not participate in intrigue. Don't play the game you're being invited to play. Don't compete with, or try to outsmart, or psychoanalyze, or even banter with a sociopath. Your No. 1 goal is to protect yourself.
Question your tendency to pity too easily. Evoking pity is a classic sociopathic tool. If you find yourself pitying someone who consistently hurts you or other people, chances are close to 100 percent that you are dealing with a sociopath.
Defend your psyche. Don't let someone without a conscience try to convince you that people aren't good. Know that most of us do, thankfully, posses a conscience, and can love................

https://www.inc.com/marla-tabaka/16-signs-you-re-working-with-a-sociopath-and-ho...

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #118 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 6:13pm

Quote:
..............Since Mia Freedman’s No Filter podcast interview with David Gillespie, a lot of people have contacted us to say thank you.

Thank you for helping them identify the awful, perplexing person in their life who is making it so hard.

There could be one in your family, you might be dating one, or there might be a psychopath in your workplace.

In fact, there probably is. It’s a rare person who has not encountered one at work.

In almost every scenario, they are incredibly charming. They will say everything you want to hear and slowly gain your trust until you are under their control.

Once a psychopath gains this control over not just you, but everyone around you, it will be their core mission to destroy relationships in the workplace. There are a few key ways to identify a workplace psychopath, according to David Gillespie, and he has some invaluable advice for what to do once you have.

But, after working for a psychopathic boss himself, Gillespie has some advice about what to do.

You can listen to my full interview with David Gillespie on psychopaths, right here. (Post continues after audio.)

Mia: How do you deal with a boss who is a psychopath?

David: In that environment, everyone will be off-balance. There is a cloud of emotional confusion, where suddenly people you thought you could trust, you’re not sure anymore. You certainly can’t talk to your colleagues about the psychopath because you’re never quite sure whether they are on the inside or not. You’re not sure if what you say will get relayed back to them and then you’ll suffer punishment.

But you can’t just cut and run because they will probably cause you significant damage. The psychopath will probably treat that as some sort of an insult, which requires revenge and punishment. You may suffer financial damage, like suing you, especially if there is an organisation behind them.

Mia: So, should you talk to the psychopath?

Firstly, start applying for jobs but at work, you have to be the ideal worker. I mean almost robotic, which is you don’t interact with the psychopath unless you have to. When you do you, repress all emotional responses. They will try their very hardest to get you to respond emotionally. If you go crazy in a meeting because they say something that is seemingly innocuous, then you’re the nut bag.

Be honest at all times because they will try to get you to be dishonest. For instance, they might let you fudge your expense report or something like that.

“It’s all right. I know that was mostly a business lunch,” they will say. Then, they will use that as a lever against you when the time is right.

“I didn’t know they were doing that. I had no idea…what a terrible person…we must get rid of them.”

So, be scrupulously honest, be cordial, polite, show no emotions whatsoever, as you try to get the hell out of there.

Mia: How do you protect yourself from them?

Take notes of everything you do. One of the things about psychopaths is that they have no particular attachment to the truth. The truth is whatever needs to be said at the moment to get what they need. They don’t care that it’s different to what they said yesterday because they’ll be able to explain their way out of it. Plausible deniability is built in second nature. Even stating the complete opposite of what they said yesterday and they’ll say it with such confidence that you’ll believe you’re the one who’s mad.

Writing it down gives you a very clear record of what is being said. Confirming all instructions in writing is another defence tactic you have to use. No sarcasm, no emotion, no questioning of their authority or power, simply confirming the instruction you’ve been.

Then one little thing that is the cream on the cake. Psychopaths are extraordinarily prone to flattery, even obvious flattery that you might consider was over-the-top obvious. They will think it’s perfect. They do think they’re the smartest best person in the world. So, occasionally telling them that we’ll keep you on their good side as you try to get help............

https://www.mamamia.com.au/how-to-deal-with-a-psychopath-at-work/

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #119 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 4:37pm

If there are people who are so unreasonable that you can't explain that they are thoroughly in the wrong, how do you approach the situation? Do you ignore them, or do you find a way to beat them at their own game?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print