Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Immigrants Flooding into Australia (Read 6853 times)
Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Re: Immigrants Flooding into Australia
Reply #60 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 8:41am

greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 8:34am:
Yes, i must say that I've never been a huge fan of the "three 'Ps' of high economic growth" argument.

I was happy when we had just 17 million people here.

That's when you could drive around on a sunday and see one or two cars on the road.

Unlike now were its peak hour all of the time.

Those were the days.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

capitosinora
Gold Member

Australian Politics

USA Florida
Reply #61 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 8:43am

For a long time British colony Australia  has become totally unattractive place for European migrants (British are not Europeans).
Only Asians and Arabs are interested to take over Australia from British rules.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 8:45am

Ajax wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 8:41am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 8:34am:
Yes, i must say that I've never been a huge fan of the "three 'Ps' of high economic growth" argument.

I was happy when we had just 17 million people here.

That's when you could drive around on a sunday and see one or two cars on the road.

Unlike now were its peak hour all of the time.

Those were the days.

Yes, and no long queues at the supermarket.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:19pm

Long queues everywhere - that's the problem.

This isn't just immigration, it's people moving to the Eastern Seaboard cities. Apparently Sydney gets a thousand new people a week.

This move to the cities, however, has caused economic growth. Australia's building and real estate boom keeps the economy out of recession. This keeps our AAA credit rating intact, it keeps unemployment down. At 27 years, Australia has the world record for steady economic growth.

Australia's skilled migration scheme is largely responsible for this. Even mining boom and bust economies like Western Australia rely heavily on imported skills. Immigrants build houses which employs builders, and on and on the cycle goes.

Australia is not the only country in this situation. Rapid urban growth is the norm in most of Asia. China, in particular, has seen a complete reversal of its rural and urban populations. This is the biggest social shift in its history.

This shift has seen consequences for us. The price of manufactured goods has gone down, leading to cheaper cars, building materials and household goods for Australian consumers. The availability of cheaper domestic goods is a generational shift in Australia too. Most people in the suburbs now have cars. This wasn't the case in the 1980s. This has put more cars on the road. It's put more people in the shopping malls. Australians are buying more goods than ever before, and this creates more queues.

I don't like it either, but what do you do?

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #64 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:28pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:19pm:

This isn't just immigration, it's people moving to the Eastern Seaboard cities. Apparently Sydney gets a thousand new people a week.

This move to the cities, however, has caused economic growth. Australia's building and real estate boom keeps the economy out of recession. This keeps our AAA credit rating intact, it keeps unemployment down. At 27 years, Australia has the world record for steady economic growth.

Australia's skilled migration scheme is largely responsible for this. Even mining boom and bust economies like Western Australia rely heavily on imported skills. Immigrants build houses which employs builders, and on and on the cycle goes.

Australia is not the only country in this situation. Rapid urban growth is the norm in most of Asia. China, in particular, has seen a complete reversal of its rural and urban populations. This is the biggest social shift in its history.

This shift has seen consequences for us. The price of manufactured goods has gone down, leading to cheaper cars, building materials and household goods for Australian consumers. The availability of cheaper domestic goods is a generational shift in Australia too. Most people in the suburbs now have cars. This wasn't the case in the 1980s. This has put more cars on the road. It's put more people in the shopping malls. Australians are buying more goods than ever before, and this creates more queues.

All of which begs the question - why are the majority of immigrants of little skills value?  What skills are there in WA mining etc that cannot be home grown, especially given the number seeking work?

What exactly are these skills in such need that cannot be provided here by locals?

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorit...

Even a cursory glimpse at this list says that is nonsense......

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:37pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:28pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:19pm:

All of which begs the question - why are the majority of immigrants of little skills value?  What skills are there in WA mining etc that cannot be home grown, especially given the number seeking work?

What exactly are these skills in such need that cannot be provided here by locals?

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorit...

Even a cursory glimpse at this list says that is nonsense......

You've referenced the employer nominated schemes, not the skilled migration class.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #66 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:56pm

There are many graduates engineers that really have no prospects at home, some will be forced to work overseas in their chosen discipline.

Many engineers in WA mining are foreigners, they've probably all gone home now but at the peak of the mining boom they were importing them like chocolates.

They should look after the home grown talent first, then if there is a shortage....!!

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #67 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 2:21pm

Well, I have to admit that I have had more than my share of creating children. Too often, I see families that are one or two children families. Some are just couples only. I started very young and fathered children that are either teenagers or young adults now.

The problem is that people nowadays want to forego having children in favour of having more cars or a better house. They are not prepared to have a larger family and having a modest car and a modest house. Put their priorities in perspective.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 2:50pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 2:21pm:
Well, I have to admit that I have had more than my share of creating children. Too often, I see families that are one or two children families. Some are just couples only. I started very young and fathered children that are either teenagers or young adults now.

The problem is that people nowadays want to forego having children in favour of having more cars or a better house. They are not prepared to have a larger family and having a modest car and a modest house. Put their priorities in perspective.

This is because women want careers. They don't have this problem in developing countries with sprawling populations.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #69 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 3:10pm

Why is it a problem?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 3:39pm

freediver wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 3:10pm:

Why is it a problem?

That was my question too.

I see no problem with people deciding not to have children.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #71 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 4:44pm

freediver wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 3:10pm:

Why is it a problem?

Be over-run by those Mussos and Asiatics that breed like flies... life's cheap for that kind...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 4:59pm

Have we gone past the point of "populate or perish" yet ... or is it still in force?

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 5:00pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 4:59pm:
Have we gone past the point of "populate or perish" yet ... or is it still in force?

There are sill those who push that (short-term, economic) argument.

Wait until the water runs out, and we'll see what they think then.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 5:33pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 5:00pm:
Bias_2012 wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 4:59pm:

There are sill those who push that (short-term, economic) argument.

Wait until the water runs out, and we'll see what they think then.

That short-term economic argument led to the post- war boom. It was such a jolly boom that they decided to keep it going, so once the wogs ran out, we started letting in the Chows.

Remember, the major factor in economic growth is population growth. And the modern economy is built on economic growth.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print