Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Another crack at it... (Read 2933 times)
Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Another crack at it...
Dec 13th, 2017 at 1:36pm

I believe that Australia should adopt a presidential form of government, and completely abandon the Westminster system of government.

Through months of research, I have identified the flaws of the American system, and have develop checks and balances to make the system more efficient. I have found ways to resolve many of the issues we experience in America.

What is the benefit of a presidential system? Well, first of all, it's a one man show in the Executive, which means he/she does not have to worry about cajoling to a Cabinet; she/he is more decisive and can act quicker; and with the additional features that I've added, the President can do more stuff.

Most people don't support the presidential system because like all new ideas, they simply don't accept them because they are 'new', even it's better.

I would like to convince of you of your support for such a system, because I believe that it will produce better outcomes for Australia, and the States.

So, are you open-minded, or are you simply happy with the things are?

Do you have concerns about the presidential system? Like the 'Trump-effect'? Don't worry I've solved that problem!

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Another crack at it...
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 1:51pm

I don't want or agree with an El presidente.
I agree with the PM being head of State... as per the system from Palmer's politics.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 2:04pm

Auggie wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 1:36pm:
Do you have concerns about the presidential system? Like the 'Trump-effect'?

No, don't have any concerns about that, it's proving to be a good antidote to Jesuit style disruption and corruption

The meritorious ideology of "Draining the Swamp" should be in every constitution and political system. Swat the corruptors and usurpers before they do any damage

It took too long to get rid of Dastyari. Shorten should have gone with him, that's how a new constitution should work

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 2:18pm

Grendel wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 1:51pm:
I agree with the PM being head of State... as per the system from Palmer's politics.

Why?

Or is there no 'why'....  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 2:19pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 2:04pm:
Do you have concerns about the presidential system? Like the 'Trump-effect'?

No, don't have any concerns about that, it's proving to be a good antidote to Jesuit style disruption and corruption

The meritorious ideology of "Draining the Swamp" should be in every constitution and political system. Swat the corruptors and usurpers before they do any damage

It took too long to get rid of Dastyari. Shorten should have gone with him, that's how a new constitution should work

Part of my Constitution would be to have 'term limits' - limited to 12 years. That means that there would fresh blood in Congress frequently. It wouldn't exactly address the problem you're raising, but it would help a hell of a lot.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 3:00pm

Auggie wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 2:19pm:
Part of my Constitution would be to have 'term limits' - limited to 12 years. That means that there would fresh blood in Congress frequently. It wouldn't exactly address the problem you're raising, but it would help a hell of a lot.

12 years might encourage "career" politicians. Six years is plenty for 3 year terms. In the case of 4 year terms, no more than eight years

That goes for PMs' as well as every other politician. The Senators, a maximum of six years then out they go

Why do you claim to be "A hero of the Soviet Union"? You're not a commie like Dastyari are you?

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 3:14pm

Grendel wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 1:51pm:

The PM is not the head of state, dear. He's the head of government.

The Queen is the head of state, known in legal terms as the Crown.

The US adopted the French model of a republic, where the Crown is erected.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 3:20pm

I believe that Australia should adopt a presidential form of government, and completely abandon the Westminster system of government.

Through months of research, I have identified the flaws of the American system, and have develop checks and balances to make the system more efficient. I have found ways to resolve many of the issues we experience in America.

What is the benefit of a presidential system? Well, first of all, it's a one man show in the Executive, which means he/she does not have to worry about cajoling to a Cabinet; she/he is more decisive and can act quicker; and with the additional features that I've added, the President can do more stuff.

Most people don't support the presidential system because like all new ideas, they simply don't accept them because they are 'new', even it's better.

I would like to convince of you of your support for such a system, because I believe that it will produce better outcomes for Australia, and the States.

So, are you open-minded, or are you simply happy with the things are?

Do you have concerns about the presidential system? Like the 'Trump-effect'? Don't worry I've solved that problem!

Our system is known as "responsible government". This is a system where the leader of the country - the PM - is popularly erected and appointed by the lower house of government - the House of Reps, not the Senate; the "people's house".

Government, therefore, is seen as "responsible" (or accountable) to the voters rather than the Crown, a president, or head of state.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 3:20pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 3:00pm:
Auggie wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 2:19pm:

12 years might encourage "career" politicians. Six years is plenty for 3 year terms. In the case of 4 year terms, no more than eight years

That goes for PMs' as well as every other politician. The Senators, a maximum of six years then out they go

Why do you claim to be "A hero of the Soviet Union"? You're not a commie like Dastyari are you?

I think 12 years is fine.

The reason is because I'm taking the piss out of Aussie. Long story. I'll have it changed.

Edit: Aussie had been given the Avatar of 'Hero of the Soviet Union' on the forum Political Animal by Monk who is the GMod on that forum. Aussie DID NOT ask to have the Avatar, and it was imposed on him by Monk WITHOUT Aussie's permission.

Around that time, I adopted the name 'Auggie' and also the same picture (the toad playing golf) in order to confuse people, and take the piss . I sought his permission, and he said that it was ok. I also changed my name and avatar on OzPol to reflect the change on Political Animal. I have since reverted back to my original name.

« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2017 at 6:52pm by Auggie »  

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #9 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 3:22pm

Quote:
Our system is known as "responsible government". This is a system where the leader of the country - the PM - is popularly erected and appointed by the lower house of government - the House of Reps, not the Senate; the "people's house".

Government, therefore, is seen as "responsible" (or accountable) to the voters rather than the Crown, a president, or head of state.

Yes, but don't you think that we the people should choose our head of government/head of state rather than the party machinery??

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 3:35pm

Auggie wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 3:22pm:
Quote:

Yes, but don't you think that we the people should choose our head of government/head of state rather than the party machinery??

I haven't decided. There are definite advantages in having a monarch - look at the stability this has given countries like Cambodia and Thailand.

In Cambodia, of course, King Sihanouk at one point joined a party and was elected to government, sharing power with Hun Sen. In Thailand, it's hard to say whether all the military coups are a result of the power of the king, or in spite of it. The power of the new Thai throne is under question as the new king does not have any popular support.

A popular vote is really only a concession to real popular representation. A leader or government is chosen by a little over 51% of whoever votes - and with jerrymandering, if that. While important, a popular vote is only really a symbol of democracy. 49% of voters may not get a say. The current US president got there with a minority of the vote.

Real democracy would require members of government to know and speak on behalf of all their people. A vote may not be necessary to achieve this function.

IP Logged

hatman92

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 4:28pm

When the people work out they can vote themselves entitlements that marks the start of the end of democracy.

Australia has passed that now and we are on a downward run to dictatorship when the money runs out.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 4:33pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 3:35pm:
Quote:

I haven't decided. There are definite advantages in having a monarch - look at the stability this has given countries like Cambodia and Thailand.

Yeah, Cambodia and Thailand - how many government coups have they had in the last couple of decades??

The Danish, Swedish, Dutch, British, Norwegian monarchies and societies are, of course, much more stable and peaceful and politically settled. Not to mention Australia, Canada, NZ.   But we must always look to the third world, don't we, Kameel. Because being ourselves exemplary to the world, especially the third world, in such matters is just unbearable, isn't it.

Here you go:

Cop this - looks familiar?

Sure does.
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2017 at 4:47pm by Frank »  

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 4:36pm

Couldn't we be run by a machine? Think, we have all the technology to poll voters on each and every policy. We could, as we did in the recent plebiscite, vote on all laws this way.

Why bother with people and parties and popularity? Bureaucrats could still draft the legislation, people could vote for it in their homes. Why have a system that elects politicians based on how they might vote in parliament? We have the ability to poll everyone.

The sticking point? Education. We're dumb. I couldn't be bothered getting my head around tax legislation, for example. I'd just vote how I was told. I'd do what the Guardian or the ABC or the UK Daily Mail told me just as we do now.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 4:45pm

Frank wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 4:33pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 3:35pm:
Quote:

Yeah, Cambodia and Thailand - how many government coups have they had in the last couple of decades??

The Danish, Swedish, Dutch, British, Norwegian monarchies and societies are, of course, much more stable and peaceful and politically settled. Not to mention Australia, Canad, NZ.

These countries function in spite of their monarchies. Thailand and Cambodia in particular have had serious political upheaval.

Thailand has coups like we have election cycles. Cambodia had Pol Pot.

The Danish, Swedish, Dutch and Norwegian societies aren't peaceful because they have monarchs. If anything, they're peaceful because they got rid of imperial powers. Constitutionally, do these monarchs have any function at all?

In Thailand, the king has the power to overturn criminal convictions and sentences. I'm curious. What can the Swedish king do? 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print