Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
ATO wants you to not pay tradies cash (Read 5864 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

ATO wants you to not pay tradies cash
Dec 9th, 2017 at 9:31am

The tax commission is imploring people to stop paying tradies with cash because it is costing the economy billions of dollars.

His call comes after reports of tradespeople issuing fake invoices using a Bunnings business registration number, or ABN.

“If you pay cash for a discount, in many cases you are effectively ripping off yourself as an Australian taxpayer because this type of behaviour is what sees billions flow out of the tax system and into the cash economy,” Australian Taxation Office chief Chris Jordan told The Australian on Friday.

Bunnings unwittingly became the centre of a massive tradie tax fraud earlier this year when Treasury’s Black Economy Taskforce found the hardware giant’s ABN was being used in more than 40 per cent of all ABNs quoted in the Northern Territory.

Putting down the wrong ABN effectively allows an independent contractor or supplier to dodge paying tax on a transaction. With cash transactions especially, it is almost impossible for the Australian Tax Office to ensure tax has been paid correctly.

We found out that more than 40 per cent of ABNs quoted in the Northern Territory were Bunnings, and when you start looking at that, of course every tradesman goes to Bunnings," taskforce chairman Michael Andrew told a CPA Australia podcast in July.

:West Australian Business

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Re: ATO wants you to not pay tradies cash
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 9:32am

Probably not too far off when govts want to ban cash transactions altogether?

I love cash.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 9:51am

bogarde73 wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 9:31am:
The tax commission is imploring people to stop paying tradies with cash because it is costing the economy billions of dollars.

His call comes after reports of tradespeople issuing fake invoices using a Bunnings business registration number, or ABN.

“If you pay cash for a discount, in many cases you are effectively ripping off yourself as an Australian taxpayer because this type of behaviour is what sees billions flow out of the tax system and into the cash economy,” Australian Taxation Office chief Chris Jordan told The Australian on Friday.

Bunnings unwittingly became the centre of a massive tradie tax fraud earlier this year when Treasury’s Black Economy Taskforce found the hardware giant’s ABN was being used in more than 40 per cent of all ABNs quoted in the Northern Territory.

Putting down the wrong ABN effectively allows an independent contractor or supplier to dodge paying tax on a transaction. With cash transactions especially, it is almost impossible for the Australian Tax Office to ensure tax has been paid correctly.

We found out that more than 40 per cent of ABNs quoted in the Northern Territory were Bunnings, and when you start looking at that, of course every tradesman goes to Bunnings," taskforce chairman Michael Andrew told a CPA Australia podcast in July.

:West Australian Business

I agree.
Cashie jobs give you no warranty on their work.
They disadvantage tradies who run legitimate good businesses.
they encourage illegal behaviour

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 11:47am

There's nothing like the smell of fresh banknotes in the morning.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 11:55am

bogarde73 wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 9:32am:

I love cash.

The government would love a cashless society. Then they could keep track of every single transaction.

I love cash too. I pay cash where ever possible.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 12:05pm

Why?  The moment they buy lunch or a beer after work they are re-entering the tax cycle...

That aside, I can see that a large amount of income tax (let's look at that in isolation, shall we?) disappears through cash transactions.  Always been that way with tradies, who are also often afflicted with an easy come-easy go attitude, meaning that where many should be retiring millionaires, they retire with next to nothing.

Amazing but true.  Anyway - if all their income was declared, many would enter the higher tax brackets.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 12:07pm

bogarde73 wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 9:32am:

I love cash.

Bar-code tattooed on the forearm..... retinal scan..... be a huge black market in stolen arms and eyes.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 12:12pm

Boom times for the SE Asian hospital sector maybe?

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 12:39pm

If you could stop all cash transactions tomorrow, I recon our economy would grind to a halt.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 12:42pm

bogarde73 wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 11:47am:
There's nothing like the smell of fresh banknotes in the morning.

Grin

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 12:45pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 9:51am:
I agree.
Cashie jobs give you no warranty on their work.
They disadvantage tradies who run legitimate good businesses.
they encourage illegal behaviour

Correct.

Of the last 5 jobs I've had people come in and do at my place every one of them was an Arab and a Muslim, and all wanted cash-in-hand.

It's another way of screwing this country, and it's another way of them having the money to build more mosques and finance terrorist organisations overseas.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 12:50pm

miketrees wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 12:39pm:
If you could stop all cash transactions tomorrow, I recon our economy would grind to a halt.

No it wouldn't.
You can already pretty much pay for everything electronically now if you choose to. Minor purchases can be made with tap-and-go and even smart phones.

If electronic payments stopped tomorrow (due to power failure or internet sabotage) THEN our economy would grind to a halt

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 12:53pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 12:45pm:
Of the last 5 jobs I've had people come in and do at my place every one of them was an Arab and a Muslim, and all wanted cash-in-hand.

It's another way of screwing this country, and it's another way of them having the money to build more mosques and finance terrorist organisations overseas.

Good work Herbie. I knew there was a way you could play the race card even in a financial thread.
Keep up the good work. I'm sure you are proud of yourself

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 12:58pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 12:53pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 12:45pm:

Good work Herbie. I knew there was a way you could play the race card even in a financial thread.
Keep up the good work. I'm sure you are proud of yourself

Am I allowed to edit my post? Yes? Most grateful.

The 5 people who came to do work for me were all Anglo-Australians.

Incidentally, Barney, what kind of tinted person are you, or is it just that you're a homosexual?

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 2:14pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 12:58pm:
Incidentally, Barney, what kind of tinted person are you, or is it just that you're a homosexual?

You've been watching Fox "News" too much.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print