Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Freeeeeedom
Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:54pm

Quote:
When 'free speech' becomes a shield for planned chaos

Chris Zappone

Somewhat lost in the chaos of the past year is a shift in language that has profound implications for open democracies.

Fringe extremists, nationalists and racist groups have tried to portray their cause as a battle for "free speech."

That's a common trope of right-wing provocateurs.

The most famous example, so far, has been the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia in which alt-right and other extreme right groups gathered, in an event that turned violent, leaving one counter demonstrator dead.

Google search data even shows a link between the term "free speech" and the August 2017 event.

Some of Milo Yiannopoulos' most provocative events have been staged under the banner of "free speech," a claim repeated to defend his visit to Australia.

Part of today's political crisis stems from this cultivated confusion that conflates freedom of expression with extremist ideas such as racial superiority, or blanket bans on people based on their religion (as long as it's Islam).

Ideas, in other words, that are frankly incompatible with a modern democracy.

Yet, co-opting words like "freedom" and "justice", which stand for ideas central to democracy only increases divisions within political society.

This trend has infected a number of debates in Australia – most notably the same sex marriage debate, which former Prime Minister Tony Abbott tried to make about "free speech" and "political correctness", and the debate about the "right to be a bigot" in the right's attack on discrimination law through section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act.

The linguistic judo moves by far-right and alt-right trolls are made much easier to pull off with the proliferation of the internet and social media.

One tactic of globalised extremist movements is to coordinate efforts while using more mainstream language to draw in more would-be followers.

A recent report by UK-based Institute for Strategic Dialogue on nationalist movements concluded: "White supremacist movements managed to penetrate the mainstream by strategically framing their fringe narratives through [the] socially more acceptable lens of freedom of speech and criticism of multiculturalism, the globalist elites and political correctness."

This effort is aided tremendously by bots, trolls, and rapidly created websites.

In fact, this technology can significantly boost the voice of a smaller number of people, using it in a coordinated effort.

Tools and tactics applied to social media and the internet have uncoupled the noise made by an online crowd from its actual size, or location.

Consequently, smaller numbers of people, using social media can make events appear bigger than they are.

As destabilising as this battle for influence is, there is a precedent for rejecting the "free speech" argument as a defence for divisive tactics meant to corrode broader political discourse.

In the 1950s, American philosopher Sidney Hook wrote that the concept of free speech carried with it the expectation that the competition in the free market of ideas will be honestly conducted.

Hook made a distinction between heresy – arguing radically different and controversial ideas – and conspiracy – which involved speech and actions to undermine the entire political system.

"The failure to recognise the distinction between heresy and conspiracy is fatal to a liberal civilisation, for the inescapable consequence of their identification is either self-destruction, when heresies are punished as conspiracies, or destruction at the hands of their enemies, when conspiracies are tolerated as heresies."

Applied to the "free speech" claim today, one could ask: are alt-right and ethno-nationalists simply arguing for an "radical" political position such as banning Muslims or equating feminism with nazism?

Or, are they taking actions to orchestrate scenes and events to create polarising violence and imagery?

People are free to argue whatever idea they please – that's free speech.

But if they're using the idea of free speech as a shield for actions to divide and drive wedges into society overall, it's conspiracy.

It was this basis that US liberals used to take on communist infiltrators in the union movement in the 1950s.

And while Hook's heresy/conspiracy dichotomy had implications for real-life events, the place where it should be applied today is the internet.

That's because civil libertarians still look back to the 20th Century when the remedy for so-called "bad speech" was simply "more speech".

Such a remedy doesn't take into account technological changes which mean there is now no economic scarcity to the published word.

Today, much of the problem isn't the ability to speak – but the ability to be heard, which itself can be gamed online.

The alt-right is highly motivated in part because of the failure of mainstream political parties to articulate a meaningful view of the world for swaths of the public.

They recognised a void and have moved to fill it.

If parties that embrace liberal ideals want to avoid an illiberal future, they'd be wise to move into that void themselves.

Understanding how language is exploited and co-opted by organised groups is a great place to start.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/when-free-speech-becomes-a-shield-for-planned-chaos-...

Remind you of anyone?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Freeeeeedom
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:41pm

Quote:
Fringe extremists, nationalists and racist groups have tried to portray their cause as a battle for "free speech."

That's what happens when you try to shut them down. They make it about free speech because that is what it has become. Don't like it? Stop validating the antifa morons, sea shepherd, Gillian Triggs and anyone else who thinks they are on a mission from God to gag others.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:59pm

freediver wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:41pm:
Quote:

That's what happens when you try to shut them down. They make it about free speech because that is what it has become. Don't like it? Stop validating the antifa morons, sea shepherd, Gillian Triggs and anyone else who thinks they are on a mission from God to gag others.

How about you, FD?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:02pm

What about the free speech displayed when your jihadi mates held up beheading signs in the Sydney CBD Karnal?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:12pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:02pm:
What about the free speech displayed when your jihadi mates held up beheading signs in the Sydney CBD Karnal?

Now now, Homo, that kid was only 4. He said he couldn't read.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:16pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:12pm:

They get them young dear. He's now around 7 and has moved on to bomb making.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:14pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:16pm:

And he can't solder....... that's his legal defence.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:34pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:14pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:16pm:

And he can't solder....... that's his legal defence.....

Doli Incapax. I blame the parents.

Hang on, I blame Islam.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:59pm

where does he talk about extreme terrorists karnel???..

I believe we have extreme right wing bloody oath I do   but I havent seen their banners on Freedom of Speech  dripping in blood...... perhaps you have a collection to show us..

of course we have all seen  Banners calling for Death to all Infidels..some even with heads on fences... Angry Angry

when you call for death it kind of sticks with you somehow more so than FOS..

there never has been full blown FOS....

if you called your boss an arsehole guess where it would get you?.. Sad Sad

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 6:32am

lol.

the prevailing ideology and propaganda is being taught and becoming LAW out of the universities.

and in the humanities, only 1 in 17 professors identifies as conservative.

the young are being indocrinated in the same way the hitler youth were indocrinated, as foot soldiers of the post modernists.

as for your claim that a few people on social media can have an influence far greater then they used to.
this is exactly correct. and the 16 out of 17 young uni graduates are amplifying this marxist nonsense on line and thru social media.

they dont even engage in conversation.

if you dont agree with them, you will just be labelled.

the marxist sees anyone with power as an oppressor.
they cannot comprehend the difference between competance and arrogance.
competant people climb to dominate a hierachy.
this is EXACTLY as it should be.
if steve jobs is competant, he dominates.
if one local plumber is the most competant, he dominates.
if a local chef is the most competant, he dominates.

but the marxists see all domination as oppression.
they hide behind the virtue of always looking out for the "oppressed", but it has nothing to do with that.
it is about resentment.
it is about resentment that life is unfair (true), and some people will have more power because they are more competant (true).
the sad thing is that this "social structure" is what has provided the left (and everyone)with an awesome life. but rather then be grateful, they are filled with resentment and bitterness.

within 4 years of the marxists taking over russia in 1918, cannibalism was rife.
when you attack the competant , thats what happens.
it could easily happen again

yes, we need freedom.
we need freedom for the best to be the best and we need to be very very grateful that they do that FOR US

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 7:06am

It wasn't just a 4 yr old kid Karamel.

Being very selective there .... there were plenty of adults holding similar signs.

Loony leftards and their scumbag renta crowd ANTIFA mates don't like Milo Yianoppolous because he tells it how it is and can out debate anyone who cares to give it a shot.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 12:30pm

cods wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:59pm:

I believe we have extreme right wing bloody oath I do   but I havent seen their banners on Freedom of Speech  dripping in blood...... perhaps you have a collection to show us..

of course we have all seen  Banners calling for Death to all Infidels..some even with heads on fences... Angry Angry

You probably haven't read Herbie's posts, dear. Not only does he want to silence all apologists, he wants to exterminate the tinted races and their Vichy brethren - in the fullness of time.

You?

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #12 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 12:32pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 12:30pm:
cods wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:59pm:

You probably haven't read Herbie's posts, dear. Not only does he want to silence all apologists, he wants to exterminate the tinted races and their Vichy brethren - in the fullness of time.

You?

That's a bit rich given your Anti Semitism....Karnal.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #13 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 12:35pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:59pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:41pm:
Quote:

How about you, FD?

No.....how about you tell us why you are Anti Semitic?

Hey Karnal...would you like me to bring up your Anti Semitic posts from last night?

I know quite a few of us here would love to see those.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #14 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 12:37pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:55pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:51pm:
Lisa Jones wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:43pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:31pm:
Anti-Semitic, eh?

She's hurting my feelings, FD. She's trying to shut me up.

What do you have to say about that?

Racist bullshit artists like you have no feelings.

Apart from HATE.

Oh and I'm not trying to shut you up at all. If anything...I keep asking you questions so you can tell us more about your anti Semitic journey.

It's YOU who's not speaking up.

She's calling me racist now, FD. She's victimising me.

Where are the Moderators? I am white, you know. This woman's a Jew-loving Greek.

No....as I've told you many times today...I'm an Australian woman of European ie Italian AND Greek heritage.

You're choosing to give me the incorrect Greek label.

But you're right about one thing ...unlike you I'm not a Jew hater.

So are you going to tell us about your Anti Semitic quest/journey? I'd love to know more about it Karnal.

In particular this quote by you Karnal .....

And how do you feel about spineless race traitors who refuse to stick up for their own people and take their countries back from the Globalist Jew?

Karnal????

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print