Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The latest nine MPs with dubious citizenship (Read 1272 times)
Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The latest nine MPs with dubious citizenship
Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:22pm

4 Labor, 4 Liberal and NXT:
Julia Banks,
Lib
(Chisholm, Vic) - 1.24%
Jason Falinski,
Lib
(Mackellar, NSW) - 15.74%
David Feeney,
ALP
(Batman, Vic) - 1.03% vs Greens
Alex Hawke,
Lib
(Mitchell, NSW) - 17.82%
Justine Keay,
ALP
(Braddon, Tas) - 2.20%
Susan Lamb,
ALP
(Longman, Qld) - 0.79%
Nola Marino,
Lib
(Forrest, WA) - 12.56%
Rebekha Sharkie,
NXT
(Mayo, SA) - 4.97% vs Liberal
Josh Wilson,
ALP
(Fremantle, WA) - 7.52%

The percentages are the margins in their seats at the last election.

The ones who would have most difficulty holding their seats:
* Banks (Lib, Chisholm) - 1.24%. Any swing to Labor in Victoria (which is likely) would be a real problem for Banks.
* Feeney (ALP, Batman) - 1.03% vs Greens. The Greens have recently won the Northcote state by-election in this same area and would be very likely to take this seat off Labor.
* Lamb (ALP, Longman) - 0.79%. A swing to the government is unlikely, but by-elections can produced surprising results. The small margin leaves little room for error.

MPs that may have some difficulty:
* Keay (ALP, Braddon) - 2.20%
* Sharkie (NXT, Mayo) - 4.97% - The Liberals would work hard to reclaim this seat.
* Marino (Lib, Forrest) - 12.56% - The margin would ordinarily be considered safe, but the Liberals' support in WA has fallen sharply since the last Federal election. Marino should hold, but with a much-reduced margin.

If these by-elections were to take place, I expect Banks would lose Chisholm to Labor, Feeney would lose Batman to the Greens.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: The latest nine MPs with dubious citizenship
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:31pm

What about...

* Anne Aly: Born in Egypt. Provided a letter from the Egyptian Embassy stating she had applied to relinquish her Egyptian nationality on May 2, 2016. No evidence confirming renunciation.

IBI

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:39pm

Gordon wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:31pm:
What about...

* Anne Aly: Born in Egypt. Provided a letter from the Egyptian Embassy stating she had applied to relinquish her Egyptian nationality on May 2, 2016. No evidence confirming renunciation.

I'm going on the list that I have seen on the ABC website. It is possible the list is incomplete.

Interesting developments right now. All of the Mps in doubt could end up being referred to the High Court. Feeney and Sharkie have already announced that they support this.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:43pm

The motion to refer all MPs with dubious citizenship to the High Court was moved by Labor and Turnbull has argued against it. Why?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:45pm

Haven't we got any aussies in government? I can see why they do s hit we hate.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:45pm

Bam wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:39pm:
What about...

I'm going on the list that I have seen on the ABC website. It is possible the list is incomplete.

Interesting developments right now. All of the Mps in doubt could end up being referred to the High Court. Feeney and Sharkie have already announced that they support this.

For some reason none of ABCs news services have been reporting Dr Aly's situation. Do a Google news search for Anne Aly and all the other news providers are. Bizarre!

IBI

IP Logged

matty
Gold Member

Australian Politics

East Sydney
Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:54pm

I think that there is a typo or just flat error in the op. It says that there are some Labor MPs. Labor's vetting process is foolproof and rolled old, so that can't be the case.

BILL SHORTEN WILL NEVER BE PM!!!!

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:57pm

What about...

http://dl.aph.gov.au/citizenship/AlyA_CTZ45P.pdf

see section 4(a)

List-
https://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_Members/Members/Citizenship

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:59pm

matty wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:54pm:
I think that there is a typo or just flat error in the op. It says that there are some Labor MPs. Labor's vetting process is foolproof and rolled old, so that can't be the case.

I think you are trolling.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:59pm

The next thing we'll hear from Turnbull is: "We have the most successful dual-citizen parliament in the World"

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:59pm

Gordon wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:45pm:
Bam wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:39pm:
What about...

For some reason none of ABCs news services have been reporting Dr Aly's situation. Do a Google news search for Anne Aly and all the other news providers are. Bizarre!

Links, please.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:04pm

Christopher Pyne: "Each member should be dealt with on their merits. Each one should be voted on separately."

Translation: he will attempt to use the government's numbers in the House to protect the Liberals while referring the others.

Looks like shenanigans. All with citizenship doubts should be referred to the High Court, not just Pyne's political rivals. Parliament does not have the power to decide electoral disputes. That is the role of the High Court.

IP Logged

matty
Gold Member

Australian Politics

East Sydney
Reply #12 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:51pm

Bam wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:59pm:
matty wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:54pm:

I think you are trolling.

But what I said was completely factual.

BILL SHORTEN WILL NEVER BE PM!!!!

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #13 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 8:51am

Why are the Libs opposing high court referral , it seems Labor and the cross benchers have no issue , why do the Libs , perhaps the intellectual heavyweights from team rtard can enlighten me why this is the case ?

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:47am

Its time wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 8:51am:
Why are the Libs opposing high court referral , it seems Labor and the cross benchers have no issue , why do the Libs , perhaps the intellectual heavyweights from team rtard can enlighten me why this is the case ?

The Libs are sht scared of losing their majority. That's possible, but they should still be able to govern if they were capable. Oh wait...

What the Libs should do: refer all nine to the High Court for determination. Prorogue Parliament until this is done and any by-elections are completed. That requires courage and leadership, something Turnbull lacks.

What the Libs will actually do: allow this to drag on well into 2018 and make them look worse and worse as time goes on.

Both may result in the Liberals losing one seat. Only one allows them to do so without looking foolish. Naturally, the Liberals have chosen the worst option.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print