Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 15
Send Topic Print
The gay wedding cake has hit the US supreme court. (Read 15645 times)
Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The gay wedding cake has hit the US supreme court.
Dec 5th, 2017 at 4:54pm

Here we go, the slippery slide, all aboard.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: The gay wedding cake has hit the US supreme court.
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 6:15pm

Only thing is, they have Trump

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:24pm

Here is a link to the story if anyone is interested???

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42232162

You do realise that anti discrimination laws already exist that make it an offence to deny services based on someone's sexuality....If we allow this discrimination against one minority then the door is open for others to discriminate against anyone for any religious bullshit they choose to use for justification....These same people would no doubt complain if their business was targeted by one of these minority groups and lost customers....Discrimination should never be condoned and isn't???

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If we were to wake up some morning and find that everyone was the same race, creed and color, we would find some other cause for prejudice by noon.
George Aiken

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:35pm

Phil are you saying that Churches can be forced to hold gay weddings?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:47pm

philperth2010 wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:24pm:

You do realise that anti discrimination laws already exist that make it an offence to deny services based on someone's sexuality....If we allow this discrimination against one minority then the door is open for others to discriminate against anyone for any religious bullshit they choose to use for justification....These same people would no doubt complain if their business was targeted by one of these minority groups and lost customers....Discrimination should never be condoned and isn't???

If we were to wake up some morning and find that everyone was the same race, creed and color, we would find some other cause for prejudice by noon.
George Aiken

So what is wrong with discrimination again?
Do you have a favourite colour?  Food? Music?
Surely every time YOU make a choice YOU discriminate.
If we have freedom of religion as per UN human rights, then how can you say people cannot discriminate based on their religious beliefs?
Would you make Muslims eat Pork? Cheesy

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:49pm

freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:35pm:

No....Are you saying it is ok for any business to discriminate and withhold services against someone based on their religious views???

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:56pm

Grendel wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:47pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:24pm:

George Aiken

So what is wrong with discrimination again?
Do you have a favourite colour?  Food? Music?
Surely every time YOU make a choice YOU discriminate.
If we have freedom of religion as per UN human rights, then how can you say people cannot discriminate based on their religious beliefs?
Would you make Muslims eat Pork? Cheesy

I have no problem with people discriminating against colours, food, music or pork!!!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:05pm

philperth2010 wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:49pm:

No....Are you saying it is ok for any business to discriminate and withhold services against someone based on their religious views???

Huh Huh Huh

I haven't made up my mind on this one yet. Consider, for example, the scenario where employees of a catering firm are forced to attend an orgy to serve people sushi. I think it's more about the type of service being offered than the religious views of the people offering it.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:10pm

freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:05pm:

Huh Huh Huh

I haven't made up my mind on this one yet. Consider, for example, the scenario where employees of a catering firm are forced to attend an orgy to serve people sushi. I think it's more about the type of service being offered than the religious views of the people offering it.

For me it is a slippery slope to prejudice....Do you still have an all white bar in your local country pub Freediver???

Wink Wink Wink

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:17pm

The "slippery slope" for society is the normalisation of the various neurosis that prevent people from forming relationships with the opposite sex.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:22pm

philperth2010 wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:10pm:

Huh Huh Huh

For me it is a slippery slope to prejudice....Do you still have an all white bar in your local country pub Freediver???

Wink Wink Wink

Pretty much. The aborigines tend to hang out in the one bar. By choice, I would expect. But you see less of them in the pub these days so it is not as noticeable.

The slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy. You have to draw the line somewhere. You don't draw the line, then shift it way over there just in case it slips in the wrong direction. Otherwise you are saying one groups rights are more important than another's. If you cannot see the rights problem for both sides here, you have already abandoned human rights.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #11 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:36pm

freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:22pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:10pm:

Huh Huh Huh

Wink Wink Wink

Pretty much. The aborigines tend to hang out in the one bar. By choice, I would expect. But you see less of them in the pub these days so it is not as noticeable.

The slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy. You have to draw the line somewhere. You don't draw the line, then shift it way over there just in case it slips in the wrong direction. Otherwise you are saying one groups rights are more important than another's. If you cannot see the rights problem for both sides here, you have already abandoned human rights.

IMO human rights should extend to everyone equally....Why would religious people want to discriminate against gay people anyway considering their violent history of trying to find acceptance and relevance....IMO laws should not be made to give any special treatment to religious discrimination....Let them eat cake!!!

Wink Wink Wink

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 9:08pm

- involving big long tongue kisses in front of everyone.   Grin

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 2:19am

So many of you have gone so far down the road to Bizarro world that you can't see that a business owner once had Rights too. The fair thing is that the Baker in this case loses a sale. Forcing him to perform services he won't do otherwise is a form of Slavery. "We reserve the Right to refuse service to anyone" was once recognized as the owners freedom of choice. Now a pair of rump rangers and the courts of Colorado will probably  force an honest business man to lose his livelihood.
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2017 at 2:58am by Mortdooley »  

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #14 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 5:13am

Mortdooley wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 2:19am:
So many of you have gone so far down the road to Bizarro world that you can't see that a business owner once had Rights too. The fair thing is that the Baker in this case loses a sale. Forcing him to perform services he won't do otherwise is a form of Slavery. "We reserve the Right to refuse service to anyone" was once recognized as the owners freedom of choice. Now a pair of rump rangers and the courts of Colorado will probably  force an honest business man to lose his livelihood.

It is illegal to discriminate against a person because of their sexual orientation. They can not refuse to make a cake for a gay couple, just as Raven could not not do the same for a ranga.

The business in question is actually pretty stupid, there is a plethora of reasons they could have used to not make the cake. But they decided to go with the "I don't like faggots" reason.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 15
Send Topic Print