Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15
Send Topic Print
The gay wedding cake has hit the US supreme court. (Read 15649 times)
Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Re: The gay wedding cake has hit the US supreme court.
Reply #60 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 5:59pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:05pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:04pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:01pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:58pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:49pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:47pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:39pm:
Lets say someone has a problem with blacks, Muslims or Asians (any minority) for what ever reason....Should they be allowed to withhold services from these individuals....Remember the same right to discriminate will apply to everyone....Or is it just gay people who can be discriminated against???

Huh Huh Huh 

I predict that Hammer won't answer that question.

Unless there's a good reason , then no. I respect religious beliefs when it comes to homosexuality though.

So religious people should be treated differently to everyone else and be allowed to discriminate....You do realise the ramifications if such a law was allowed to pass....As homosexuality is not a crime and SSM will become law then there is no legal basis to allow discrimination against homosexuals because of your beliefs....Parliament could enact religious exemptions though which would make it legal to do so....We will have to wait and see but I doubt the legislation to allow religious objection will pass!!!

Huh Huh Huh

No lefties had a problem with Muslims forcing halal products on the Australian Christian consumer without their knowing?

No one is forcing you to buy from an Halal butcher....It is up to the individual if they want to purchase certain products....You people are kidding right???

Huh Huh Huh

If it was just a halal butcher I wouldn't have a problem. But now it's on loads of items we've been eating for years. Isn't that discrimination against Christians?

How? They are not preventing you from buying that product because you are a Christian.

Companies that have a halal certification have done so as part of a business model more then a religious reason. It opens their product to a market of more then a billion people.

Companies exist to make profit. Excluding a potential goldmine of consumers makes little sense.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #61 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:11pm

freediver wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:59am:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:36pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:22pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:10pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:05pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:49pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:35pm:
Phil are you saying that Churches can be forced to hold gay weddings?

No....Are you saying it is ok for any business to discriminate and withhold services against someone based on their religious views???

Huh Huh Huh

I haven't made up my mind on this one yet. Consider, for example, the scenario where employees of a catering firm are forced to attend an orgy to serve people sushi. I think it's more about the type of service being offered than the religious views of the people offering it.

For me it is a slippery slope to prejudice....Do you still have an all white bar in your local country pub Freediver???

Wink Wink Wink

Pretty much. The aborigines tend to hang out in the one bar. By choice, I would expect. But you see less of them in the pub these days so it is not as noticeable.

The slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy. You have to draw the line somewhere. You don't draw the line, then shift it way over there just in case it slips in the wrong direction. Otherwise you are saying one groups rights are more important than another's. If you cannot see the rights problem for both sides here, you have already abandoned human rights.

IMO human rights should extend to everyone equally....Why would religious people want to discriminate against gay people anyway considering their violent history of trying to find acceptance and relevance....IMO laws should not be made to give any special treatment to religious discrimination....Let them eat cake!!!

Wink Wink Wink

You are not getting it Phil. Whichever side wins this one, the same rights will apply to everyone.

Lets say someone has a problem with blacks, Muslims or Asians (any minority) for what ever reason....Should they be allowed to withhold services from these individuals....Remember the same right to discriminate will apply to everyone....Or is it just gay people who can be discriminated against???

Huh Huh Huh 

As far as I know, the people in this case were prepared to serve the gay couple. It was a specific product they were not willing to sell.

Do you consider it a fundamental human right to compel people to do something they do not want to do? If not, why do you keep banging on about the rights of one side?

Should we be allowed to compel a halal butcher to serve bacon at a pagan wedding?

Should we be allowed to compel a catering company and its employees to turn up and serve food at an orgy?

Why are you unable to appreciate the rights implications for both groups of people?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #62 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:26pm

Huh Huh Huh 

Unless there's a good reason , then no. I respect religious beliefs when it comes to homosexuality though.

So religious people should be treated differently to everyone else and be allowed to discriminate....You do realise the ramifications if such a law was allowed to pass....As homosexuality is not a crime and SSM will become law then there is no legal basis to allow discrimination against homosexuals because of your beliefs....Parliament could enact religious exemptions though which would make it legal to do so....We will have to wait and see but I doubt the legislation to allow religious objection will pass!!!

Huh Huh Huh

People should be allowed to discriminate. When you choose a girlfriend, you discriminate. The issue of discrimination is about the government discrimination, not private discrimination.

The only limit I would prescribe is in the case of unfair dismissal, where an employer finds out about a person religion, belief after hiring them based on merit.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:30pm

freediver wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:11pm:
As far as I know, the people in this case were prepared to serve the gay couple. It was a specific product they were not willing to sell.

Do you consider it a fundamental human right to compel people to do something they do not want to do? If not, why do you keep banging on about the rights of one side?

Should we be allowed to compel a halal butcher to serve bacon at a pagan wedding?

Should we be allowed to compel a catering company and its employees to turn up and serve food at an orgy?

Why are you unable to appreciate the rights implications for both groups of people

exactly   everything seems so one sided...

it wont stop at cakes...what if a gay couple wish to hire  the hall for their reception in a church hall....

why should anyone be FORCED into accepting that order for fear of litigation.?  ..

its supposed to be a give and take world...80% of people voted and most voted for this legislation....

they did not vote to create another minority group..

who are expected to put all their religious beliefs aside.. for fear of being sued out of business.

what good does that achieve... more disent more hatred  we dont need...

Gay people took the country to task  asking for a fair deal..... well now the boot is on the other foot....a minority group is asking for a fair deal...

there are plenty of cake makers.. and plenty of churches.....it will I am sure only be a small group that will not accept these orders...

like not going to war because you do not believe in killing...its allowed...and so it should be!

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #64 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:41pm

READ THOROUGHLY

Johnnie wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 4:54pm:
Here we go, the slippery slide, all aboard.

buzzanddidj wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:58pm:
Armchair_Politician wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 4:48pm:
buzzanddidj wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 1:22pm:
bogarde73 wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 9:55am:
Turnbull says he'll vote for them even though he doesn't think they're necessary.

... and he's 100% CORRECT

Currently the church can refuse to marry any couple they choose to
Look no further than the catholic church and divorcees
A self employed marriage celebrant has the same right to refuse
As does a wedding cake baker
The latter are retail contracts - and require two parties in agreement to be binding

If a government employed registry office celebrant can't perform his job - as determined by Australian law - it's time he found a new career

Yeah, you're wrong...

https://aclu-co.org/court-rules-bakery-illegally-discriminated-against-gay-coupl...

You're confusing Colorado law, with Australian law

I worked in retail for close to forty years
And as a representative of the company I exercised my legal right NOT to enter into a retail sale contact on many occasions - with many people

I'm sure you've had times when your local publican has applied this right, also ?

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #65 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:44pm

Gosh, I hope they don't discriminate against drunk people.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:01pm

Try getting into a night club for rich folks if you don't have expensive clothes on. Discrimination is everywhere. I hope it's not only straight white people who are going to be targeted. Australia was once a place so free. Now it's turning into a smacking prison.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:08pm

cods wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:41pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:08pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:06pm:

Huh Huh Huh 

Huh Huh Huh

No lefties  had a problem with Muslims forcing halal products on the Australian Christian consumer without their knowing?

Nobody is forced to buy or use Halal products.

Maybe Hammer cannot read the label???

Wink Wink Wink

what labels that phil?.....I have searched my supermarket meat labels  and not one of them mentions HALAL or not HALAL...

at least in the ACT....

If it's Halal, the label will say so.

What's the problem?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:27pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:08pm:

Huh Huh Huh 

Huh Huh Huh

No lefties  had a problem with Muslims forcing halal products on the Australian Christian consumer without their knowing?

Wink Wink Wink

what labels that phil?.....I have searched my supermarket meat labels  and not one of them mentions HALAL or not HALAL...

at least in the ACT....

What's the problem?

When did they ask us if we want Allah certifying our Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate??? I'm sure Christians wouldn't like the idea.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:28pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:27pm:

Huh Huh Huh 

Huh Huh Huh

Wink Wink Wink

at least in the ACT....

What's the problem?

When did they ask us if we want Allah certifying our Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate??? I'm sure Christians wouldn't like the idea.

Well if they don't like the idea, don't buy the chocolate.

Again, what's the problem?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:31pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:28pm:

Huh Huh Huh 

Huh Huh Huh

Wink Wink Wink

at least in the ACT....

What's the problem?

Why should we have to bend for immigrants? We were here first. How would be go down if loads of our best known products were certified by Christianity. You'd be having a Pecca fit.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:36pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:31pm:

Huh Huh Huh 

Huh Huh Huh

Wink Wink Wink

at least in the ACT....

What's the problem?

Why should we have to bend for immigrants? We were here first. How would be go down if loads of our best known products were certified by Christianity. You'd be having a Pecca fit.

Why would I be having a fit?

Religious certification of food is of no concern to me.

Christians can certify every single product on the supermarket shelves, and it would have absolutely no affect on my shopping habits.

The same goes for Scientologists, Jews, and Buddhists.

It's a non-issue.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:39pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:36pm:

Huh Huh Huh 

Huh Huh Huh

Wink Wink Wink

at least in the ACT....

What's the problem?

Christians can certify every single product on the supermarket shelves, and it would have absolutely no affect on my shopping habits.

It's a non-issue.
I'm the same. I'm an atheist. But not everybody is us. People have loads of different beliefs. It doesn't mean we have to bend for them all. It makes society a friggen minefield.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #73 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:42pm

All this nonsense about a poofter wedding cake.

It must be the End Times.   Grin

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:44pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:39pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:36pm:

Huh Huh Huh 

Huh Huh Huh

Wink Wink Wink

at least in the ACT....

What's the problem?

It's a non-issue.
I'm the same. I'm an atheist. But not everybody is us. People have loads of different beliefs. It doesn't mean we have to bend for them all. It makes society a friggen minefield.

I don't see any 'bending'.

I just see consumers making informed choices about their purchases.

If they don't like something about a particular item, don't buy it.

How much simpler could it be?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15
Send Topic Print