Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15
Send Topic Print
The gay wedding cake has hit the US supreme court. (Read 15644 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: The gay wedding cake has hit the US supreme court.
Reply #135 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:46pm

Bobby. wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:44pm:
Setanta wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:26pm:
lee wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:01pm:
How did they determine that the wedding cake was gay?

I'm not sure and I could easily be wrong but I seem to remember the cake buyer wanting Adam and Steve dolls on the top not Adam and Eve dolls. If that was the case the whole thing could have been avoided by making the cake and saying we have no Adam and Steve dolls and don't intend ordering any, go buy your own and stick it on top of the cake. But both sides got butt hurt and this is where it is at now.

The Bible talks about the family -

it talks about Adam and Eve not

Adam and Steve.

Would you eat the icing on a gay wedding cake? Hate to think what it's made of.

IBI

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #136 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:48pm

I'm not sure and I could easily be wrong but I seem to remember the cake buyer wanting Adam and Steve dolls on the top not Adam and Eve dolls. If that was the case the whole thing could have been avoided by making the cake and saying we have no Adam and Steve dolls and don't intend ordering any, go buy your own and stick it on top of the cake. But both sides got butt hurt and this is where it is at now.

That's what I was thinking to, but I have not been able to find any references to it.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #137 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 10:02pm

It was caught trying to mate with another wedding cake???

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #138 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 10:04pm

Gordon wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:46pm:

Adam and Steve.

I wouldn't be caught dead at a homosexual wedding
yet alone eating a homosexual cake.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #139 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 10:13pm

philperth2010 wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 10:02pm:

Huh Huh Huh

The cake had AIDS and was covered in kaposi sarcomas.

IBI

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #140 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 10:22pm

Gordon wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 10:13pm:

Huh Huh Huh

The cake had AIDS and was covered in kaposi sarcomas.

They weren't chocolate drops then?

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #141 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 2:12am

It had two pricks arguing the point and no cont around to give a normal response.............

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #142 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 11:16am

Bobby. wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 10:04pm:
Gordon wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:46pm:

Adam and Steve.

I wouldn't be caught dead at a homosexual wedding
yet alone eating a homosexual cake.

What about a double layer fruit cake with nuts on top Bobby....Nice????

Smiley Smiley Smiley

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #143 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 1:29pm

Huh Huh Huh

In updated news....The owner of the gay wedding cake said that this behaviour was disgusting and unacceptable....There was a perfectly adorable Black Forest Cake available and just imaging if this behaviour caught on to the Custard Tarts....The owner assured customers the gay wedding cake has been put back in it's box!!!

Wink Wink Wink

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #144 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 9:38pm

philperth2010 wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 7:06pm:
Auggie wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:20pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:13pm:
Auggie wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 3:38pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 3:05pm:
Non-Muslim staff told to wear headscarves in Adelaide

An Islamic College in Adelaide has threatened to dismiss its non-Muslim female staff if they don't wear headscarves, as critics say it's wrong to compel women to identify with a religion they don't practice.
Updated
Updated 26 August 2013
An Adelaide school's dress policy has exposed a grey area in Australia's discrimination laws.

The Adelaide Islamic College has long had an unwritten rule that female staff would wear hijab or if they weren't Muslim, headscarves.

The last principal had relaxed that rule. Now the board has reinforced the dress code policy in writing.
The school has been told by its lawyers not to comment. SBS understands one staffer was warned of dismissal if she didn't abide by the new code.

The union says this is plainly wrong.
"People who've been employed at that school for many years have been able to dress modestly without any particular problem, but this redefining under the threat of sacking is quite extreme and we don't agree with it", says Glen Seidel from the Independent Education Union.
"People who have been quite openly employed as not Muslim are being forced to identify within the community as if they are," added Mr Seidel. "There has to be a more sensible way of getting the modesty requirement sorted without the religious identity".
Minister for Education and Multicultural Affairs Jennifer Rankin says this situation highlights a grey area in the legislation.
"Our ambulance officers wear uniforms, our nurses wear uniforms, this is slightly different as in this is a religious school and obviously they have standards they want upheld, so it's an unusual circumstance where we've got a situation allegedly where someone is being asked to wear hijab rather than remove the hijab".
"Whether it's the equal opportunity act in terms of discrimination or the Fair Work Act, I think it's premature to say," said Ms Rankin. "I think it could be a test case in one or two jurisdictions and yet to be clear about which or both".
There are also implications for the school's funding.
"We provide them with something like 23 per cent of their funding, and in that contract obviously it is an obligation to abide by the laws of South Australia," said Minister Rankin.
The school is facing a tricky task, balancing its religious ideals with the individual's right to choose what, if any, religious identity they display.

Source: SBS

They're a private school; they can set whatever rules they want for their staff.

Isn't religious freedom to discriminate what some people want???

Huh Huh Huh

Private individuals and small businesses should be allowed to discriminate against whomever they wish. If I walked into a baker's shop, and the owner said to me: "sorry mate, your skin colour is brown, get out of my shop, I would be slightly upset, but I would respect that person's right to kick me out of his/her shop.

Now, corporations, which are incorporated objects have no natural rights - natural rights only applies to individual persons, and also small businesses which have an individualised component. For e.g. the government would be well within its rights to regulate the rights of Google as a company but not the actions of a independent baker; but not 'Baker's Delight' or another chain, which has an 'individual' component to it.

You don't know what respect is mate....Not so long ago in the United States they had a system you are advocating for where Negro's where not allowed to ride on a bus with white people, drink from the same fountain or allowed into certain shops / stores (n!ggers keep out)....If this is the type of Society you want then you are going to be disappointed because it ain't gonna happen mate....Perhaps you should migrate to South Africa!!!

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

You’re conflating two different things, Phil.

First, segregation was about denying equal access to public facilities. I wasn’t talking about public facilities, I was taking about private individuals and small/family businesses only. Large corporations shouldn’t be allowed to discriminate since corporations aren’t people.

A small/family business refusing to serve me doesn’t mean that I can’t travel on a public bus.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #145 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:09pm

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #146 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:42pm

Auggie wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 9:38pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 7:06pm:
Auggie wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:20pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:13pm:
Auggie wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 3:38pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 3:05pm:
Non-Muslim staff told to wear headscarves in Adelaide

An Islamic College in Adelaide has threatened to dismiss its non-Muslim female staff if they don't wear headscarves, as critics say it's wrong to compel women to identify with a religion they don't practice.
Updated
Updated 26 August 2013
An Adelaide school's dress policy has exposed a grey area in Australia's discrimination laws.

The Adelaide Islamic College has long had an unwritten rule that female staff would wear hijab or if they weren't Muslim, headscarves.

The last principal had relaxed that rule. Now the board has reinforced the dress code policy in writing.
The school has been told by its lawyers not to comment. SBS understands one staffer was warned of dismissal if she didn't abide by the new code.

The union says this is plainly wrong.
"People who've been employed at that school for many years have been able to dress modestly without any particular problem, but this redefining under the threat of sacking is quite extreme and we don't agree with it", says Glen Seidel from the Independent Education Union.
"People who have been quite openly employed as not Muslim are being forced to identify within the community as if they are," added Mr Seidel. "There has to be a more sensible way of getting the modesty requirement sorted without the religious identity".
Minister for Education and Multicultural Affairs Jennifer Rankin says this situation highlights a grey area in the legislation.
"Our ambulance officers wear uniforms, our nurses wear uniforms, this is slightly different as in this is a religious school and obviously they have standards they want upheld, so it's an unusual circumstance where we've got a situation allegedly where someone is being asked to wear hijab rather than remove the hijab".
"Whether it's the equal opportunity act in terms of discrimination or the Fair Work Act, I think it's premature to say," said Ms Rankin. "I think it could be a test case in one or two jurisdictions and yet to be clear about which or both".
There are also implications for the school's funding.
"We provide them with something like 23 per cent of their funding, and in that contract obviously it is an obligation to abide by the laws of South Australia," said Minister Rankin.
The school is facing a tricky task, balancing its religious ideals with the individual's right to choose what, if any, religious identity they display.

Source: SBS

They're a private school; they can set whatever rules they want for their staff.

Isn't religious freedom to discriminate what some people want???

Huh Huh Huh

Private individuals and small businesses should be allowed to discriminate against whomever they wish. If I walked into a baker's shop, and the owner said to me: "sorry mate, your skin colour is brown, get out of my shop, I would be slightly upset, but I would respect that person's right to kick me out of his/her shop.

Now, corporations, which are incorporated objects have no natural rights - natural rights only applies to individual persons, and also small businesses which have an individualised component. For e.g. the government would be well within its rights to regulate the rights of Google as a company but not the actions of a independent baker; but not 'Baker's Delight' or another chain, which has an 'individual' component to it.

You don't know what respect is mate....Not so long ago in the United States they had a system you are advocating for where Negro's where not allowed to ride on a bus with white people, drink from the same fountain or allowed into certain shops / stores (n!ggers keep out)....If this is the type of Society you want then you are going to be disappointed because it ain't gonna happen mate....Perhaps you should migrate to South Africa!!!

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

You’re conflating two different things, Phil.

First, segregation was about denying equal access to public facilities. I wasn’t talking about public facilities, I was taking about private individuals and small/family businesses only. Large corporations shouldn’t be allowed to discriminate since corporations aren’t people.

A small/family business refusing to serve me doesn’t mean that I can’t travel on a public bus.

I used an example of a private enterprise refusing to provide services to minorities that covers your proposition....A shop owner refusing to serve a minority is not respect unless it is respect for everyone's right to be a bigot....You are proposing a General Store in a country town can refuse to serve Aborigines not because they have done anything wrong just because of the colour of their skin....You are proposing we set back the civil rights movement 50 years why, because gay people can get married and you think this is a small way to continue the persecution or is their a more sinister motive???

Huh Huh Huh

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #147 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 2:13pm

philperth2010 wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:42pm:
I used an example of a private enterprise refusing to provide services to minorities that covers your proposition....A shop owner refusing to serve a minority is not respect unless it is respect for everyone's right to be a bigot....You are proposing a General Store in a country town can refuse to serve Aborigines not because they have done anything wrong just because of the colour of their skin....You are proposing we set back the civil rights movement 50 years why, because gay people can get married and you think this is a small way to continue the persecution or is their a more sinister motive???

Huh Huh Huh

Phil you keep completely ignoring the facts of the case. He was more than happy to serve the gay couple. He was not prepared to create a particular customised product for them.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #148 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 3:18pm

freediver wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 2:13pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:42pm:

Huh Huh Huh

Phil you keep completely ignoring the facts of the case. He was more than happy to serve the gay couple. He was not prepared to create a particular customised product for them.

Errr....I was responding to another posters comment???

Huh Huh Huh

If you make custom cakes on request you have no legal basis to refuse anyone....Whom do you propose people should be allowed to discriminate against FD and on what basis???

Huh Huh Huh

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #149 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 8:36pm

I want the Muslim cake maker to put this on my cake:

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15
Send Topic Print