Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Send Topic Print
The gay wedding cake has hit the US supreme court. (Read 15648 times)
philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Re: The gay wedding cake has hit the US supreme court.
Reply #120 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 7:29am

freediver wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 10:30pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:32pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 8:30pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 2:19pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 1:03pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:11pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:39pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:59am:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:36pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:22pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:10pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:05pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:49pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:35pm:
Phil are you saying that Churches can be forced to hold gay weddings?

No....Are you saying it is ok for any business to discriminate and withhold services against someone based on their religious views???

Huh Huh Huh

I haven't made up my mind on this one yet. Consider, for example, the scenario where employees of a catering firm are forced to attend an orgy to serve people sushi. I think it's more about the type of service being offered than the religious views of the people offering it.

For me it is a slippery slope to prejudice....Do you still have an all white bar in your local country pub Freediver???

Wink Wink Wink

Pretty much. The aborigines tend to hang out in the one bar. By choice, I would expect. But you see less of them in the pub these days so it is not as noticeable.

The slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy. You have to draw the line somewhere. You don't draw the line, then shift it way over there just in case it slips in the wrong direction. Otherwise you are saying one groups rights are more important than another's. If you cannot see the rights problem for both sides here, you have already abandoned human rights.

IMO human rights should extend to everyone equally....Why would religious people want to discriminate against gay people anyway considering their violent history of trying to find acceptance and relevance....IMO laws should not be made to give any special treatment to religious discrimination....Let them eat cake!!!

Wink Wink Wink

You are not getting it Phil. Whichever side wins this one, the same rights will apply to everyone.

Lets say someone has a problem with blacks, Muslims or Asians (any minority) for what ever reason....Should they be allowed to withhold services from these individuals....Remember the same right to discriminate will apply to everyone....Or is it just gay people who can be discriminated against???

Huh Huh Huh 

As far as I know, the people in this case were prepared to serve the gay couple. It was a specific product they were not willing to sell.

Do you consider it a fundamental human right to compel people to do something they do not want to do? If not, why do you keep banging on about the rights of one side?

Should we be allowed to compel a halal butcher to serve bacon at a pagan wedding?

Should we be allowed to compel a catering company and its employees to turn up and serve food at an orgy?

Why are you unable to appreciate the rights implications for both groups of people?

Phil, have you changed your mind, or just run away?

Na just busy at work (lunch break now)....

Firstly a Halal butcher would not sell pork so the service would not be offered....It is not up to a business to supply something they do not sell....I thought you would have worked that out for yourself!!!

About the orgy I am not sure....One would expect a court would accept a decency defence towards the company and its employees if it was taken to court!!!

The law states you cannot withhold services based on race, religion or sexuality....If you offer services you cannot deny it based on those criteria....By the way I did not write the law???

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I have never heard of the decency defence. Is that what they used to use for lynching gays? Do you think orgies might have something to do with sexuality?

Can a cake shop refuse to sell gay cakes, so long as they refuse to sell them to straight couples also?

Let me explain it this way....If your spear fishing business only caters for spear fishing tours spearing dolphins and stuff and some people want to charter your dingi for some whale watching you could refuse because you do not offer that service....If you refuse because someone is gay and you tell them you don't service queers you could be in trouble!!!

Wink Wink Wink

But I would be fine if I refused on the grounds that I consider anal sex indecent?

Sure you would....You could also use the defence I thought he was a Muslim as a two edged sword!!!

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #121 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:11am

Has the world ended yet?

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #122 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:23am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:11am:
Has the world ended yet?

One more month to go.

The end of the world is scheduled for January 9, 2018

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #123 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 11:54am

Pity it didn't hit the footpath... sorry... sidewalk....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #124 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 11:56am

greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:23am:
Has the world ended yet?

One more month to go.

Ye Gods - sensible people are trying to get out of marriage, which shows the gay community are nuts as advertised.

This'll be hilarious.... I'll lay in a supply of popcorn and await the usual suspect nonsense that will go on, with cake bakers being taken to court and churches vilified and parodied and an honour guard in chaps....  Huh

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #125 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:12pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 11:54am:
Pity it didn't hit the footpath... sorry... sidewalk....

The verge perhaps, the dogs will clean it up no matter where it may or may not fall intentionally or unintentionally as the case may be.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #126 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:20pm

philperth2010 wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:13pm:
Auggie wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 3:38pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 3:05pm:
Non-Muslim staff told to wear headscarves in Adelaide

An Islamic College in Adelaide has threatened to dismiss its non-Muslim female staff if they don't wear headscarves, as critics say it's wrong to compel women to identify with a religion they don't practice.
Updated
Updated 26 August 2013
An Adelaide school's dress policy has exposed a grey area in Australia's discrimination laws.

The Adelaide Islamic College has long had an unwritten rule that female staff would wear hijab or if they weren't Muslim, headscarves.

The last principal had relaxed that rule. Now the board has reinforced the dress code policy in writing.
The school has been told by its lawyers not to comment. SBS understands one staffer was warned of dismissal if she didn't abide by the new code.

The union says this is plainly wrong.
"People who've been employed at that school for many years have been able to dress modestly without any particular problem, but this redefining under the threat of sacking is quite extreme and we don't agree with it", says Glen Seidel from the Independent Education Union.
"People who have been quite openly employed as not Muslim are being forced to identify within the community as if they are," added Mr Seidel. "There has to be a more sensible way of getting the modesty requirement sorted without the religious identity".
Minister for Education and Multicultural Affairs Jennifer Rankin says this situation highlights a grey area in the legislation.
"Our ambulance officers wear uniforms, our nurses wear uniforms, this is slightly different as in this is a religious school and obviously they have standards they want upheld, so it's an unusual circumstance where we've got a situation allegedly where someone is being asked to wear hijab rather than remove the hijab".
"Whether it's the equal opportunity act in terms of discrimination or the Fair Work Act, I think it's premature to say," said Ms Rankin. "I think it could be a test case in one or two jurisdictions and yet to be clear about which or both".
There are also implications for the school's funding.
"We provide them with something like 23 per cent of their funding, and in that contract obviously it is an obligation to abide by the laws of South Australia," said Minister Rankin.
The school is facing a tricky task, balancing its religious ideals with the individual's right to choose what, if any, religious identity they display.

Source: SBS

They're a private school; they can set whatever rules they want for their staff.

Isn't religious freedom to discriminate what some people want???

Huh Huh Huh

Private individuals and small businesses should be allowed to discriminate against whomever they wish. If I walked into a baker's shop, and the owner said to me: "sorry mate, your skin colour is brown, get out of my shop, I would be slightly upset, but I would respect that person's right to kick me out of his/her shop.

Now, corporations, which are incorporated objects have no natural rights - natural rights only applies to individual persons, and also small businesses which have an individualised component. For e.g. the government would be well within its rights to regulate the rights of Google as a company but not the actions of a independent baker; but not 'Baker's Delight' or another chain, which has an 'individual' component to it.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

bwood1946
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #127 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:46pm

Has the world ended yet?

One more month to go.

Gay men are being urged to get vaccinated against meningococcal disease after a sudden outbreak in Melbourne.

Meningococcal disease:

There are five main strains of meningococcal disease: A, C, W, Y and B
The disease is uncommon but serious
Meningococcal bacteria is passed on through regular close, prolonged or intimate contact with infected secretions from the back of the nose and throat
The bacteria can develop into invasive meningococcal disease
Symptoms include fever, headache, loss of appetite, nausea, neck stiffness, discomfort when looking at bright lights
Source: Better Health Victoria
Health authorities are offering a free vaccine from next week after eight men were struck down with the disease's C-strain since May.

Victoria's deputy chief health officer, Brett Sutton, said almost all the patients identified as gay or bisexual.

"Eight doesn't sound like a big number, but if this were to affect the whole of Melbourne at the same rate as it's affected men who have sex with men, we'd be talking about a couple of hundred cases over a few months," he said.

"My message to this group in the community is simple: If you are vaccinated, you protect yourself and others around you by reducing the spread of the disease."
Meningococcal disease is uncommon but it can be deadly.

Meningococcal bacteria under the microscope.
PHOTO: Authorities think the bacteria was transmitted through kissing. (Supplied: Healthdirect.gov.au)
Ten per cent of cases are fatal within 24 to 48 hours of diagnosis.

The bacteria lives in the throat and nose and is passed on through close and prolonged contact.

"That includes intimate kissing and we think that's what's dr

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

TPI  VETERAN
bwood1946 bwood1946  
IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #128 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:47pm

bwood1946 wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:46pm:
Has the world ended yet?

One more month to go.

Gay men are being urged to get vaccinated against meningococcal disease after a sudden outbreak in Melbourne.

Meningococcal disease:

There are five main strains of meningococcal disease: A, C, W, Y and B
The disease is uncommon but serious
Meningococcal bacteria is passed on through regular close, prolonged or intimate contact with infected secretions from the back of the nose and throat
The bacteria can develop into invasive meningococcal disease
Symptoms include fever, headache, loss of appetite, nausea, neck stiffness, discomfort when looking at bright lights
Source: Better Health Victoria
Health authorities are offering a free vaccine from next week after eight men were struck down with the disease's C-strain since May.

Victoria's deputy chief health officer, Brett Sutton, said almost all the patients identified as gay or bisexual.

"Eight doesn't sound like a big number, but if this were to affect the whole of Melbourne at the same rate as it's affected men who have sex with men, we'd be talking about a couple of hundred cases over a few months," he said.

"My message to this group in the community is simple: If you are vaccinated, you protect yourself and others around you by reducing the spread of the disease."
Meningococcal disease is uncommon but it can be deadly.

Meningococcal bacteria under the microscope.
PHOTO: Authorities think the bacteria was transmitted through kissing. (Supplied: Healthdirect.gov.au)
Ten per cent of cases are fatal within 24 to 48 hours of diagnosis.

The bacteria lives in the throat and nose and is passed on through close and prolonged contact.

"That includes intimate kissing and we think that's what's dr

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

And go back to my comment when you posted this the first time.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #129 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:51pm

philperth2010 wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 7:29am:

No....Are you saying it is ok for any business to discriminate and withhold services against someone based on their religious views???

Huh Huh Huh

I haven't made up my mind on this one yet. Consider, for example, the scenario where employees of a catering firm are forced to attend an orgy to serve people sushi. I think it's more about the type of service being offered than the religious views of the people offering it.

For me it is a slippery slope to prejudice....Do you still have an all white bar in your local country pub Freediver???

Wink Wink Wink

Pretty much. The aborigines tend to hang out in the one bar. By choice, I would expect. But you see less of them in the pub these days so it is not as noticeable.

The slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy. You have to draw the line somewhere. You don't draw the line, then shift it way over there just in case it slips in the wrong direction. Otherwise you are saying one groups rights are more important than another's. If you cannot see the rights problem for both sides here, you have already abandoned human rights.

IMO human rights should extend to everyone equally....Why would religious people want to discriminate against gay people anyway considering their violent history of trying to find acceptance and relevance....IMO laws should not be made to give any special treatment to religious discrimination....Let them eat cake!!!

Wink Wink Wink

You are not getting it Phil. Whichever side wins this one, the same rights will apply to everyone.

Lets say someone has a problem with blacks, Muslims or Asians (any minority) for what ever reason....Should they be allowed to withhold services from these individuals....Remember the same right to discriminate will apply to everyone....Or is it just gay people who can be discriminated against???

Huh Huh Huh 

As far as I know, the people in this case were prepared to serve the gay couple. It was a specific product they were not willing to sell.

Do you consider it a fundamental human right to compel people to do something they do not want to do? If not, why do you keep banging on about the rights of one side?

Should we be allowed to compel a halal butcher to serve bacon at a pagan wedding?

Should we be allowed to compel a catering company and its employees to turn up and serve food at an orgy?

Why are you unable to appreciate the rights implications for both groups of people?

Firstly a Halal butcher would not sell pork so the service would not be offered....It is not up to a business to supply something they do not sell....I thought you would have worked that out for yourself!!!

About the orgy I am not sure....One would expect a court would accept a decency defence towards the company and its employees if it was taken to court!!!

The law states you cannot withhold services based on race, religion or sexuality....If you offer services you cannot deny it based on those criteria....By the way I did not write the law???

I have never heard of the decency defence. Is that what they used to use for lynching gays? Do you think orgies might have something to do with sexuality?

Can a cake shop refuse to sell gay cakes, so long as they refuse to sell them to straight couples also?

Let me explain it this way....If your spear fishing business only caters for spear fishing tours spearing dolphins and stuff and some people want to charter your dingi for some whale watching you could refuse because you do not offer that service....If you refuse because someone is gay and you tell them you don't service queers you could be in trouble!!!

Wink Wink Wink

But I would be fine if I refused on the grounds that I consider anal sex indecent?

Sure you would....You could also use the defence I thought he was a Muslim as a two edged sword!!!

Are you having trouble making up your mind Phil?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #130 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 6:53pm

freediver wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:51pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 7:29am:

Huh Huh Huh

Wink Wink Wink

Wink Wink Wink

Huh Huh Huh 

Wink Wink Wink

Are you having trouble making up your mind Phil?

No....Are you having trouble understanding the law FD???

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #131 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 7:06pm

Auggie wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 12:20pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:13pm:
Auggie wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 3:38pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 3:05pm:
Non-Muslim staff told to wear headscarves in Adelaide

An Islamic College in Adelaide has threatened to dismiss its non-Muslim female staff if they don't wear headscarves, as critics say it's wrong to compel women to identify with a religion they don't practice.
Updated
Updated 26 August 2013
An Adelaide school's dress policy has exposed a grey area in Australia's discrimination laws.

The Adelaide Islamic College has long had an unwritten rule that female staff would wear hijab or if they weren't Muslim, headscarves.

The last principal had relaxed that rule. Now the board has reinforced the dress code policy in writing.
The school has been told by its lawyers not to comment. SBS understands one staffer was warned of dismissal if she didn't abide by the new code.

The union says this is plainly wrong.
"People who've been employed at that school for many years have been able to dress modestly without any particular problem, but this redefining under the threat of sacking is quite extreme and we don't agree with it", says Glen Seidel from the Independent Education Union.
"People who have been quite openly employed as not Muslim are being forced to identify within the community as if they are," added Mr Seidel. "There has to be a more sensible way of getting the modesty requirement sorted without the religious identity".
Minister for Education and Multicultural Affairs Jennifer Rankin says this situation highlights a grey area in the legislation.
"Our ambulance officers wear uniforms, our nurses wear uniforms, this is slightly different as in this is a religious school and obviously they have standards they want upheld, so it's an unusual circumstance where we've got a situation allegedly where someone is being asked to wear hijab rather than remove the hijab".
"Whether it's the equal opportunity act in terms of discrimination or the Fair Work Act, I think it's premature to say," said Ms Rankin. "I think it could be a test case in one or two jurisdictions and yet to be clear about which or both".
There are also implications for the school's funding.
"We provide them with something like 23 per cent of their funding, and in that contract obviously it is an obligation to abide by the laws of South Australia," said Minister Rankin.
The school is facing a tricky task, balancing its religious ideals with the individual's right to choose what, if any, religious identity they display.

Source: SBS

They're a private school; they can set whatever rules they want for their staff.

Isn't religious freedom to discriminate what some people want???

Huh Huh Huh

Private individuals and small businesses should be allowed to discriminate against whomever they wish. If I walked into a baker's shop, and the owner said to me: "sorry mate, your skin colour is brown, get out of my shop, I would be slightly upset, but I would respect that person's right to kick me out of his/her shop.

Now, corporations, which are incorporated objects have no natural rights - natural rights only applies to individual persons, and also small businesses which have an individualised component. For e.g. the government would be well within its rights to regulate the rights of Google as a company but not the actions of a independent baker; but not 'Baker's Delight' or another chain, which has an 'individual' component to it.

You don't know what respect is mate....Not so long ago in the United States they had a system you are advocating for where Negro's where not allowed to ride on a bus with white people, drink from the same fountain or allowed into certain shops / stores (n!ggers keep out)....If this is the type of Society you want then you are going to be disappointed because it ain't gonna happen mate....Perhaps you should migrate to South Africa!!!

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #132 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:01pm

How did they determine that the wedding cake was gay?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #133 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:26pm

lee wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:01pm:

I'm not sure and I could easily be wrong but I seem to remember the cake buyer wanting Adam and Steve dolls on the top not Adam and Eve dolls. If that was the case the whole thing could have been avoided by making the cake and saying we have no Adam and Steve dolls and don't intend ordering any, go buy your own and stick it on top of the cake. But both sides got butt hurt and this is where it is at now.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #134 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:44pm

Setanta wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:26pm:
lee wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:01pm:

I'm not sure and I could easily be wrong but I seem to remember the cake buyer wanting Adam and Steve dolls on the top not Adam and Eve dolls. If that was the case the whole thing could have been avoided by making the cake and saying we have no Adam and Steve dolls and don't intend ordering any, go buy your own and stick it on top of the cake. But both sides got butt hurt and this is where it is at now.

The Bible talks about the family -

it talks about Adam and Eve not

Adam and Steve.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Send Topic Print