Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15
Send Topic Print
The gay wedding cake has hit the US supreme court. (Read 15664 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: The gay wedding cake has hit the US supreme court.
Reply #90 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:18pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:05pm:
I didn't see a problem in the first place.

Greggy,

can you learn how to wipe out the last 20 posts in reply
& just include your answer?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #91 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:28pm

Bobby. wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:18pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:05pm:
I didn't see a problem in the first place.

Greggy,

can you learn how to wipe out the last 20 posts in reply
& just include your answer?

Why - it annoys the hell out of Herbie?

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #92 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:38pm

Which makes you simply a TROLL...

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #93 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:40pm

Bobby. wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:00pm:
Lisa Jones wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:56pm:
Bobby. wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:52pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:44pm:
Bobby. wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:42pm:
All this nonsense about a poofter wedding cake.

It must be the End Times.   Grin

Because they are pushing this through without thinking about the ordinary aussie business owner Bobby.

We know what's being pushed.  Wink

And where.... Grin

Let's not say Lisa but can we agree that it must be the End Times?

Rear end time even  Grin

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #94 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:44pm

Grendel wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:38pm:
Which makes you simply a TROLL...

Cry

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #95 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:35pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:40pm:
Rear end time even  Grin

Don't say that when Greggy is around.  Grin

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #96 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:59pm

Bobby. wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:35pm:
Lisa Jones wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:40pm:
Rear end time even  Grin

Don't say that when Greggy is around.  Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #97 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 10:13pm

Wednesday, 30 October, 1946:-

At Coleshill, Warwickshire, Ellen May Young, a paint sprayer, was committed for trial for her subterfuge in marrying, in the roman catholic church in the village of Baddesley Clinton, Irene Mary Palmer whom she had met at waterloo station.  Ellen had posed as an ex-RAF pilot, called herself Stanley and written more than thirty passionate letters to her fiance`.

Argh, aye, m'lud... that thar gay marriage be unlawful!  'Ang 'er and 'ang 'er HIGH!

Just saying - no gay wedding cake there......  Tongue

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #98 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:13am

All seafood is Halal and is allowed to be consumed by Muslims....All fruit and vegetables are Halal and is allowed to be consumed by Muslims....There is no need to label these products but if you have a problem eating Halal perhaps you should avoid fish and chips in future???

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #99 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 10:46am

Railroaded...................

railroaded.gif (56 KB | 24 )
railroaded.gif

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #100 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 1:03pm

freediver wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:11pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:39pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:59am:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:36pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:22pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:10pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:05pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:49pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:35pm:
Phil are you saying that Churches can be forced to hold gay weddings?

No....Are you saying it is ok for any business to discriminate and withhold services against someone based on their religious views???

Huh Huh Huh

I haven't made up my mind on this one yet. Consider, for example, the scenario where employees of a catering firm are forced to attend an orgy to serve people sushi. I think it's more about the type of service being offered than the religious views of the people offering it.

For me it is a slippery slope to prejudice....Do you still have an all white bar in your local country pub Freediver???

Wink Wink Wink

Pretty much. The aborigines tend to hang out in the one bar. By choice, I would expect. But you see less of them in the pub these days so it is not as noticeable.

The slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy. You have to draw the line somewhere. You don't draw the line, then shift it way over there just in case it slips in the wrong direction. Otherwise you are saying one groups rights are more important than another's. If you cannot see the rights problem for both sides here, you have already abandoned human rights.

IMO human rights should extend to everyone equally....Why would religious people want to discriminate against gay people anyway considering their violent history of trying to find acceptance and relevance....IMO laws should not be made to give any special treatment to religious discrimination....Let them eat cake!!!

Wink Wink Wink

You are not getting it Phil. Whichever side wins this one, the same rights will apply to everyone.

Lets say someone has a problem with blacks, Muslims or Asians (any minority) for what ever reason....Should they be allowed to withhold services from these individuals....Remember the same right to discriminate will apply to everyone....Or is it just gay people who can be discriminated against???

Huh Huh Huh 

As far as I know, the people in this case were prepared to serve the gay couple. It was a specific product they were not willing to sell.

Do you consider it a fundamental human right to compel people to do something they do not want to do? If not, why do you keep banging on about the rights of one side?

Should we be allowed to compel a halal butcher to serve bacon at a pagan wedding?

Should we be allowed to compel a catering company and its employees to turn up and serve food at an orgy?

Why are you unable to appreciate the rights implications for both groups of people?

Phil, have you changed your mind, or just run away?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #101 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 1:06pm

philperth2010 wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:13am:
All seafood is Halal and is allowed to be consumed by Muslims....All fruit and vegetables are Halal and is allowed to be consumed by Muslims....There is no need to label these products but if you have a problem eating Halal perhaps you should avoid fish and chips in future???

So Christians have no choice?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #102 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 1:21pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 1:06pm:

In what?

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #103 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 2:11pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 1:06pm:

No....If you eat a prawn with chilli it is Halal....It does not matter how the prawn or chilli was killed!!!

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #104 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 2:19pm

freediver wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 1:03pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:11pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:39pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:59am:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:36pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:22pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:10pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:05pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:49pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:35pm:
Phil are you saying that Churches can be forced to hold gay weddings?

No....Are you saying it is ok for any business to discriminate and withhold services against someone based on their religious views???

Huh Huh Huh

I haven't made up my mind on this one yet. Consider, for example, the scenario where employees of a catering firm are forced to attend an orgy to serve people sushi. I think it's more about the type of service being offered than the religious views of the people offering it.

For me it is a slippery slope to prejudice....Do you still have an all white bar in your local country pub Freediver???

Wink Wink Wink

Pretty much. The aborigines tend to hang out in the one bar. By choice, I would expect. But you see less of them in the pub these days so it is not as noticeable.

The slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy. You have to draw the line somewhere. You don't draw the line, then shift it way over there just in case it slips in the wrong direction. Otherwise you are saying one groups rights are more important than another's. If you cannot see the rights problem for both sides here, you have already abandoned human rights.

IMO human rights should extend to everyone equally....Why would religious people want to discriminate against gay people anyway considering their violent history of trying to find acceptance and relevance....IMO laws should not be made to give any special treatment to religious discrimination....Let them eat cake!!!

Wink Wink Wink

You are not getting it Phil. Whichever side wins this one, the same rights will apply to everyone.

Lets say someone has a problem with blacks, Muslims or Asians (any minority) for what ever reason....Should they be allowed to withhold services from these individuals....Remember the same right to discriminate will apply to everyone....Or is it just gay people who can be discriminated against???

Huh Huh Huh 

As far as I know, the people in this case were prepared to serve the gay couple. It was a specific product they were not willing to sell.

Do you consider it a fundamental human right to compel people to do something they do not want to do? If not, why do you keep banging on about the rights of one side?

Should we be allowed to compel a halal butcher to serve bacon at a pagan wedding?

Should we be allowed to compel a catering company and its employees to turn up and serve food at an orgy?

Why are you unable to appreciate the rights implications for both groups of people?

Phil, have you changed your mind, or just run away?

Na just busy at work (lunch break now)....

Firstly a Halal butcher would not sell pork so the service would not be offered....It is not up to a business to supply something they do not sell....I thought you would have worked that out for yourself!!!

About the orgy I am not sure....One would expect a court would accept a decency defence towards the company and its employees if it was taken to court!!!

The law states you cannot withhold services based on race, religion or sexuality....If you offer services you cannot deny it based on those criteria....By the way I did not write the law???

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15
Send Topic Print