Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
STORMAGEDDON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Read 2928 times)
President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

STORMAGEDDON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:21pm

WHAT a Ferking Joke the BOM is...  Roll Eyes

Quote:
Why we won’t believe Bureau of Meteorology’s extreme weather forecasts

THEY promised Stormageddon.

They said it was a
“10” out of "10"
storm and “uncharted territory”.

Half of us would never have seen anything like it, they said.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Homes and lives would be at risk. Farms would turn into lakes, they said.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

But many parts of Victoria, particularly around in Melbourne, got little more than constant drizzle over the weekend.
  Grin

This is why many people believe the Bureau of Meteorology cried wolf with its weather forecasting last week.

Anyone from Victoria is used to crazy weather.

It’s a bit cold when it’s minus three.

It’s a bit hot when it’s 43 degrees in the shade.

It’s a bit wet when it’s a torrential downpour.

But when the weather bureau tells us there is going to be a rain event unprecedented in our lifetime, people do listen.

When the weather bureau tells us there is going to be a
rain event unprecedented in our lifetime,
people do listen,

When we get text messages from the SES telling us to expect flooding, and to check on family and friends, we do listen.

Yes, it is better to be safe than sorry. However, I would have liked a little more explanation given that the event predicted didn’t eventuate.

And I would hope for an acknowledgment by the bureau that some of the language used wasn’t justified and should be subject to review.

Otherwise they run the risk of people not listening the next time they issue the same warnings.

On Thursday last week, Bureau of Meteorology forecaster Scott Williams warned: “It is an event that poses a threat to life, there will be a massive amount of lightning, there will be roads cut, flood waters.”  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

“Half the inhabitants of Melbourne have probably never seen something like this.

“This is a vast, intense, high impact event for this state.”
  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

The bureau was promising the most “significant rain even in more than 20 years”.

“If you wake up (on Friday) and think it isn’t going to happen you’ll just have to wait a while.

They didn’t think the Titanic would sink either, but it did,” Mr Williams said.  Cheesy

He said the biggest risk was for Melbourne, would be hit with extensive flooding which would impact on infrastructure.

People believed the bureau’s reports and so major events such as the Taste of Melbourne, Polo in the City, Opera in the Bowl, Arts Centre Melbourne’s outdoor Christmas market, Tennis Victoria Premier League and all grades of Victorian Premier Cricket were cancelled.

International flights were diverted and some were delayed.

The reality was a little different.

Melbourne recorded more than 66 millimetres of rain over the weekend  Grin — receiving its December average in the first three days of the month.

But some parts of Melbourne received as little as 25 millimetres.  Grin

The towns of Euroa and Myrtleford had extensive flooding, but there was little flooding elsewhere and none in Melbourne over the weekend.

By Sunday Premier Daniel Andrews was defending the bureau, saying the total of rainfall was “absolutely accurate”.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

“The intensity of it was different and the exact location of it was a bit different, that’s something we all should be happy about,” he said.

State weather bureau manager Dr Andrew Tupper also said the storms were “pretty much as we described”.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

It’s not true. There was a big gap between what was predicted and what happened.

Mr Andrews can say that it was predicted that
“200-250mm of rain would fall, that’s exactly what happened”.
  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

But we were told to expect that amount of rain
across the entire state

While the people of Myrtleford and Euroa were no doubt grateful for the warnings, the rest of us are wondering what happened.

Despite the fact that 2700 calls for assistance were received, only 73 homes across the state were affected by flooding.

But it seems strange to me that officials continue to defend the type of language used in the lead up to the weekend.

Dr Tupper said: “If we had our time again, yes, we would put out an event with similar language to that”.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I appreciate that the bureau needs to be proactive and err on the side of caution. I also appreciate that, despite all of the technological advances, weather forecasting is an inexact science.

As they’ve said, coming up with accurate forecasts four days in advance is not always easy, especially given the speed and unpredictability of major weather events like storms.

While it’s a great relief that no lives were lost, people who took action as a result of the warnings deserve more of an explanation. This includes those who lost income in closing business and cancelling events.

The real worry is that people may not take as much notice next time, when the catastrophe might be real.

this would have to be the biggest joke of all time in the HISTORY OF THE BOM...

we got under 20 mm where I am but were told we'd be hit with 200mm PLUS...

as a few clouds came in an old timer said to me... pfft... wont be much in it...

he was exactly 100% right

they wheeled out the "sign" person.. Dan Andrews gave warning on tv... ffs... what a joke  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: STORMAGEDDON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:27pm

Bring back the good old days when people would die every time there was freak weather, eh?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:30pm

They forecast the worst possible scenario, in order to cover their arse from insurance company lawsuits.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:36pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:30pm:
They forecast the worst possible scenario, in order to cover their arse ass from insurance company lawsuits.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:37pm

I have never heard anything like this....

they were hysterical....

as I said above... they wheeled out the sign persons like they do after or during a massive crisis...

they told people to go to the supermarket and stock up on food and water etc...

STAY INSIDE!!!!!!!

BUNKER DOWN!!!!!!!!

people panicked getting their ladders out to clean their own drains...  I heard that at least a dozen people fell off their ladders and broke bones and/or got a back injury...

they should sue the Andrews government...

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:38pm

Auggie wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:36pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:30pm:
They forecast the worst possible scenario, in order to cover their arse ass protect themselves from insurance company lawsuits.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:40pm

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:37pm:

they were hysterical....

as I said above... they wheeled out the sign persons like they do after or during a massive crisis...

STAY INSIDE!!!!!!!

BUNKER DOWN!!!!!!!!

people panicked getting their ladders out to clean their own drains...  I heard that at least a dozen people fell off their ladders and broke bones and/or got a back injury...

The same thing happens here in Perth.

They predict flooding and hurricanes, and we get 20mm of rain and 30kph wind guts.

As I said, it's to protect themselves from lawsuits.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:43pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:40pm:
President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:37pm:

they were hysterical....

STAY INSIDE!!!!!!!

BUNKER DOWN!!!!!!!!

The same thing happens here in Perth.

They predict flooding and hurricanes, and we get 20mm of rain and 30kph wind guts.

As I said, it's to protect themselves from lawsuits.

but even today they are still saying that they were right...

like wtf?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

but they are dodging media who are calling them out..

Quote:
The Bureau of Meteorology’s overstating of the supposed super storm over the weekend has damaged its reputation, according to Neil Mitchell.

“It’s the bureau who cried wolf,” Neil said on 3AW Mornings today.

“The next time there’s a more serious warning people won’t take it as seriously.”

Neil was also critical of Bureau’s “dodging” of accountability today.

“On Friday we asked for an interview, more than 48 hours ago, and today they tell us they are unavailable,” he said.

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:54pm

They are predicting the future for you, in great detail, better than they have ever been able to do before. The only thing that is hysterical is people's over-reaction when they get it wrong.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:52pm

freediver wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:54pm:
They are predicting the future for you, in great detail, better than they have ever been able to do before. The only thing that is hysterical is people's over-reaction when they get it wrong.

Better yes, but still terrible. We travelled by car from Adelaide to north Victoria the day of the supposed 'stormof the century'. it didnt even rain after and hour out of adelaide. What rain there was wouldnt have been considered any more than a bit heavier than the usual december rain.

BOM do this all the time. In adelaide we are routinely told to 'batten down' in the face of massive storms only to get a light rain and a bit of a breeze.  and this isnt occasional, it is almost ALL THE TIME. And when they are actually right, they are never on time, sometimes days after.

and yet, we are expected to believe their 50year out predictions when they can even get next week right - or close to it.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 5:03pm

freediver wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:27pm:
Bring back the good old days when people would die every time there was freak weather, eh?

Well, in those dirty tinted countries, sure.

Not here.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:47pm

Quote:
BOM do this all the time. In adelaide we are routinely told to 'batten down' in the face of massive storms only to get a light rain and a bit of a breeze.

And so they should. Better safe than sorry. The more extreme the event, the more difficult it is to predict. That shouldn't stop them warning people, and only a fool would interpret as a "boy who cried wolf" scenario.

Quote:
and yet, we are expected to believe their 50year out predictions when they can even get next week right - or close to it.

What 50 year predictions do they have for the weather in Melbourne? Please tell me if it will be raining in the Melbourne CBD on Dec 6 2067....

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:37pm

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 6:21pm:
WHAT a Ferking Joke the BOM is... 

Quote:
But many parts of Victoria, particularly around in Melbourne, got little more than constant drizzle over the weekend.

Still haven't learned to post a link yet I see Mechanic. You should ask an adult if you want to learn how.

Of course Mechanic is hysterically wrong. Many places did get floods in Victoria over the weekend. My own rain gauge in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne recorded 93mm in the space of 48 hours. Many parts in the NE of the state had 200 mm.
In fact the forecast was pretty accurate except that it happened further east than was forecast which is actually pretty impressive.

So why do The Mechanic and Longy run such a campaign against the Bureau of meteorology? Maybe its something to do with their Global Warming denial  Grin Grin Grin

latest_vc.gif (40 KB | 27 )
latest_vc.gif

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:48pm

I think he's upset that no-one died.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:50pm

freediver wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:48pm:
I think he's upset that no-one died.

Well, would you let your sister marry one?

Tell the truth now.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print