Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Immigration
Dec 3rd, 2017 at 12:49pm

SEPTEMBER 2013 ESSAYS
Christos Tsiolkas
Why Australia hates asylum seekers

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2013/september/1377957600/christos-tsiolkas/...

The reality is that there isn’t “one nation” that makes up Australia, only competing notions of “nationhood”. There is the cosmopolitan, educated nation of the inner cities and the parochial, anxious communities of the urban fringes and the bush. Asylum seeker rights are easily understood and supported by cosmopolitan Australians. We are well-travelled, we are not suspicious of multiculturalism and we are confident of processing and adjusting to change. At the same time, we rubbish their McMansions while gentrification makes the inner city unaffordable, and we castigate them for their cashed-up lack of generosity while it is in fact their kids mixing with the children of refugees. 

There needs to be some system to minimise boat arrivals, and a fair-minded and workable regional solution would indeed save lives. Indonesia cannot be let off the hook for catalysing such human tragedy. Our neighbour’s covert legitimation of people-smuggling shows we have competition in the race to the bottom when it comes to the treatment of asylum seekers.

There needs to be an alternative to settling people here that reaches beyond welfare and the ghetto. We are an island nation and we are not going to have open borders. That means there should be obligations and responsibilities that asylum seekers will have to take on if they arrive outside the auspices of the UN; that is, those who come here by boat. Might that be working to build infrastructure for five or seven years in remote areas, the way my father paid for his passage here? Is it being settled in rural Australia, to work in hospitals and on farms where there are labour shortages? I don’t know. I am not a politician or a social planner but I think those are precisely the conversations we should be having. In forgoing a humane and economically viable way of dealing with asylum seekers, we have squandered opportunities.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Immigration
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 1:00pm

You going soft in your old age Frank?

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 2:26pm

Oh, dearie,dearie, me.  Poor, poor, Soren.  Quoting an opinion from 2013?  As L.P. Hartley said, "the past is a different country, they do things differently there."   Opinions are always changing.   What a shame you don't have anything more recent which is close to how the Australians of today feel about Asylum Seekers.

Let me guess your problem is not with numbers in the immigration debate but where those numbers come from, where the immigrants originate from?  You don't like "tinted people" as Karnal likes to call them, or Muslims or Asians or non-Protestant Christians or Southern Europeans or well, basically anybody who isn't in your opinion WASP enough for your tastes.   Tsk, tsk, you really are a Racist, aren't you?  Now, please, settle back on the couch and tell us how much you hated the coloured people at school...    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 5:40pm

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 2:26pm:
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smiley.jpg

Oh, dearie,dearie, me.  Poor, poor, Soren.  Quoting an opinion from 2013?  As L.P. Hartley said, "the past is a different country, they do things differently there."   Opinions are always changing.   What a shame you don't have anything more recent which is close to how the Australians of today feel about Asylum Seekers.

Let me guess your problem is not with numbers in the immigration debate but where those numbers come from, where the immigrants originate from?  You don't like "tinted people" as Karnal likes to call them, or Muslims or Asians or non-Protestant Christians or Southern Europeans or well, basically anybody who isn't in your opinion WASP enough for your tastes.   Tsk, tsk, you really are a Racist, aren't you?  Now, please, settle back on the couch and tell us how much you hated the coloured people at school...    Roll Eyes

My problem is the numbers AND that most of those large numbers come from inferior cultures, bringing their inferior outlook, practices and customs with them, cultivating, preserving and multiplying them here.

That's my problem.

I want immigration to be slowed and I want immigrants from culturally compatible countries. Those who are from culturally incompatible countries should assimilate and not spread their inferior cultures and rejoice in them as if they were equal to (or better, in the minds of the most insolent and stupid) the civilisation that took them in.

I have absolutely no interest in pretending that some Lao peasant or Afghan goatherd or Lebanese brickie's labourer or Chinese waiter has a culture equal to what he finds here, Europe, North America UNLESS he has assimilated.

The great thing about Western civilisation is that it is open to all to assimilate into it - to a large extent because it is a synthesis of the best of all cultures. That's why migration is one way - to the West.  There is no great movement of Westerner migrants to backward countries.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:05pm

Frank wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 5:40pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 2:26pm:
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smiley.jpg

My problem is the numbers AND that most of those large numbers come from inferior cultures, bringing their inferior outlook, practices and customs with them, cultivating, preserving and multiplying them here.

That's my problem.

I want immigration to be slowed and I want immigrants from culturally compatible countries. Those who are from culturally incompatible countries should assimilate and not spread their inferior cultures and rejoice in them as if they were equal to (or better, in the minds of the most insolent and stupid) the civilisation that took them in.

I have absolutely no interest in pretending that some Lao peasant or Afghan goatherd or Lebanese brickie's labourer or Chinese waiter has a culture equal to what he finds here, Europe, North America UNLESS he has assimilated.

The great thing about Western civilisation is that it is open to all to assimilate into it - to a large extent because it is a synthesis of the best of all cultures. That's why migration is one way - to the West.  There is no great movement of Westerner migrants to backward countries.

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Tsk, tsk, your Racist beliefs are on show again, Soren.   I wonder how do you determine if a culture is superior or inferior?  Do you have a culture meter?  Does it have a green zone and a red zone on it, just to make things easier for you?

In reality, when Immigrants migrate to Australia, they undertake to become a part of the Australian Multicultural society.  They decide when and how much they will assimilate.  If that means they don't want to wear a pair of thongs and a singlet all day, every day, that is up to them, not you, Soren.  You have no ability to determine anything.  Remember, 85% of Australians are happy with Multiculturalism here.

All immigrants are welcome, if they fulfil the requirements of the Immigration Programme.  Doesn't matter what religion they believe in, even Christianity is welcome, Soren.   Doesn't matter what clothing they like to wear, doesn't matter what food they like to eat.   Doesn't matter as long as they agree to respect our laws.   All the rest really is just frippery and it appears that frippery is what upsets you.   Tough, Soren, tough.   Your Danish culture is accepted just as much as the culture of an Afghani Refugee...    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:18pm

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:05pm:
Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Tsk, tsk, your Racist beliefs are on show again, Soren.   I wonder how do you determine if a culture is superior or inferior?  Do you have a culture meter?  Does it have a green zone and a red zone on it, just to make things easier for you?

Indeed it exists and it does.

It's devised by the UN.  There would be others as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2017 at 8:52pm by Frank »  

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:20pm

In reality, when Immigrants migrate to Australia, they undertake to become a part of the Australian Multicultural society.  They decide when and how much they will assimilate.  If that means they don't want to wear a pair of thongs and a singlet all day, every day, that is up to them, not you, Soren.  You have no ability to determine anything.  Remember, 85% of Australians are happy with Multiculturalism here.

You sad, stupid bastard, as if your OWN culture was about thongs and singlet.  You are the worst kind of cat-piss soaked, desperately self-flaggelating  'progressive'.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:54pm

I don't remember 100% of Australians even being asked about Multiculti bwian.
A Pro Multiculti pro Immigration agency is hardly likely to say anyhting else though is it bwian.

You've been shotdown many times before bwian...  you need to stop being so totally self deluded.

No sane person believes anything you say on this... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 8:57pm

Your Danish culture is accepted just as much as the culture of an Afghani Refugee...    Roll Eyes

It's not true.  The difference between Danish and Afghan culture is vast and stark. It is simply not true that Australians accept Afghan culture just as they accept Danish Culture. You would be hard pressed, you stupid fool, to actually identify any difference between Danish and Australian cultural outlook. Not so when it comes to Afghans. Even you, a completely ignorant fool, can easily identify vast differences between Australian and Afghan culture (without understanding either, of course, in your sad, cat piss soaked case, Bwian)

You are demonstrating your bottomless ignorance about your own and Danish and Afghan cultures and everything else, Bwian.  Your multicultural fetish IS indeed a cult of your limitless ignorance.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 8:57pm

Frank wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:20pm:

You sad, stupid bastard, as if your OWN culture was about thongs and singlet.  You are the worst kind of cat-piss soaked, desperately self-flaggelating  'progressive'.

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Tsk, tsk, poor, poor, Soren.  Resorting to ad hominem insults yet again?  Really, talking to you is pointless it appears, Soren.  You still live in your school bully boy fantasies.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 9:06pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 1:00pm:
You going soft in your old age Frank?

Grin Grin Grin

Frank?

Got religion all of a sudden?

NO MUSLIMS, period.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 9:10pm

We are being replaced frank. That's the truth. Don't go joining the army! That's my advice. Don't be patriotic. Sabotage their wet dream.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 8:05am

Frank wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:20pm:

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 6:48pm

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:09pm

Frank wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 8:19pm:
SEPTEMBER 2013 ESSAYS
Christos Tsiolkas
Why Australia hates asylum seekers

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2013/september/1377957600/christos-tsiolkas/...

The reality is that there isn’t “one nation” that makes up Australia, only competing notions of “nationhood”. There is the cosmopolitan, educated nation of the inner cities and the parochial, anxious communities of the urban fringes and the bush. Asylum seeker rights are easily understood and supported by cosmopolitan Australians. We are well-travelled, we are not suspicious of multiculturalism and we are confident of processing and adjusting to change. At the same time, we rubbish their McMansions while gentrification makes the inner city unaffordable, and we castigate them for their cashed-up lack of generosity while it is in fact their kids mixing with the children of refugees. 

There needs to be some system to minimise boat arrivals, and a fair-minded and workable regional solution would indeed save lives. Indonesia cannot be let off the hook for catalysing such human tragedy. Our neighbour’s covert legitimation of people-smuggling shows we have competition in the race to the bottom when it comes to the treatment of asylum seekers.

There needs to be an alternative to settling people here that reaches beyond welfare and the ghetto. We are an island nation and we are not going to have open borders. That means there should be obligations and responsibilities that asylum seekers will have to take on if they arrive outside the auspices of the UN; that is, those who come here by boat. Might that be working to build infrastructure for five or seven years in remote areas, the way my father paid for his passage here? Is it being settled in rural Australia, to work in hospitals and on farms where there are labour shortages? I don’t know. I am not a politician or a social planner but I think those are precisely the conversations we should be having. In forgoing a humane and economically viable way of dealing with asylum seekers, we have squandered opportunities.

Yes, old boy, but there needs to be a way to measure the worth of these hideous, stool-eating jetsetters who flood our labour markets with Balogney-trained Lacanians.

For heaven's sake, these people breed. They bring their Lutheran diseases. They refuse to assimilate.

No offence, dear boy. We mean it in the nicest possible way.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print